Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The_Doctor posted:

That’s Kyle, and he’s going to totally hook up with Bow at some point! :colbert:

Not if Sea Hawk has anything to say about it!

I feel like Sea Hawk is a bit closer to his original design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
The original show sure liked redheads.

And the original designs for the male characters are somehow even gayer than the new ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just FYI, this is Seahawk’s VA, Jordan Fisher. :swoon:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I feel like Sea Hawk is a bit closer to his original design.

That's literally just two pictures of the same guy before/after shaving his beard and changing cloths.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

I want the (possible) new He-Man to have more armor than the previous versions due to being practical and also it would piss off the same people or some reason.

Also the ones with more armor have nice designs

I forgot how amazing He Man’s 2003 season 2 Battleizer was.

2003 was just a great year for cartoon redos. :allears:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Edit I made that seemed appropriate.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I watched the rest of the season last night. It’s a vast improvement from the original, I’ll give it that. But I’m going to stick with my initial assessment that the show is for the most part pretty generic in both story and visuals.

That said, I really like Shadow Weaver. I want to see more of her and I’m interested in her relationship with Adora.

I would also like Hordak to do something other than sit in his chair and pet a baby that he stole from the Horde nursery. (Seriously, choosing to make Imp look “human” rather than a gremlin is just weird.) Like turn into a rocket ship or something, dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Imp looking more human makes it freakier/cooler when he opens his mouth and it turns out he really isn't. Seriously, giving Transformers Prime Soundwave's gimmick to a small demon child was a wonderfully awful idea.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

https://theboxduchess.tumblr.com/post/180708473310/catra-would-totally-be-that-cat-that-freaks-out

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Edit I made that seemed appropriate.

I chuckled most sensibly!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
God this show fuckin owns.

I'm kind of in love with how they handle themes of abuse and manipulation, and escaping abusive home lives, and the differences between children who escape vs. those who stay behind (or get left behind) and how they adapt. They do an amazing (and tragically accurate) job of depicting those themes, especially how the abusive parent will always have a favorite/golden child that is used as an emotional cudgel against the others.

Shadow Weaver makes my skin crawl and seeing Catra fight back against her in the end while saying "this is what you trained me for" really hit home for me and made her my favorite character.

This show didn't turn me gay because I was never straight :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

God this show fuckin owns.

I'm kind of in love with how they handle themes of abuse and manipulation, and escaping abusive home lives, and the differences between children who escape vs. those who stay behind (or get left behind) and how they adapt. They do an amazing (and tragically accurate) job of depicting those themes, especially how the abusive parent will always have a favorite/golden child that is used as an emotional cudgel against the others.

Shadow Weaver makes my skin crawl and seeing Catra fight back against her in the end while saying "this is what you trained me for" really hit home for me and made her my favorite character.

This show didn't turn me gay because I was never straight :v:

Good news it’s turned you supergay

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

Good news it’s turned you supergay

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

IT'S UNREAL, HOW ARE THEY GENERATING THAT MUCH HOMOSEXUALITY?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

IT'S UNREAL, HOW ARE THEY GENERATING THAT MUCH HOMOSEXUALITY?

Needs more sparkles in the background, push it past the redline into pink.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So I saw snips of this show on tumblr and I gotta say, did not expect it to go as hard as it did, especially with the themes of trauma and childhood abuse.

End of episode 9: god, I knew they weren't going to, but if Entrapta had actually died that would have been just heartbreaking. Just the total meaninglessness of it. It wasn't in service to the mission, not some heroic last stand or sacrifice--everyone was already in the clear, they'd just gotten through that final door! But she just had to go back for the bot...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"Abusive parental figure pits children against each other by picking favorites" is one of the most common tropes in cartoons. This show is boring. The writing is bad and the animation is cheap.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Typical Pubbie posted:

"Abusive parental figure pits children against each other by picking favorites" is one of the most common tropes in cartoons. This show is boring. The writing is bad and the animation is cheap.

thanks for checking in

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

thanks for checking in

I'll elaborate.

Adora is a bland lump. Her arc from horde soldier to rebel hero has no tension since she is established to be a good person from the beginning. She would have turned on the horde the moment they ordered her to massacre civilians, rendering her transformation into She Ra redundant as a source of character development. She has no chemistry with Catra (on account of being a bland lump with no motivation) despite the show centering their relationship. Her power level varies wildly from scene to scene. She can beat a giant robot with only a stick but she can't swing a sword without falling over. She has a steed that is introduced early and then vanishes without explanation for most of the season before returning as a completely different character that can talk wtf?

That's just the main protagonist.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 11, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I was kind of skeptical at first, since the original bored me to tears, but last Sunday I just went "what the hell, why not" and binge watched the first season on Netflix.

I'm positively impressed. The series is written well and very charming and I enjoyed watching it immensely. And this is from someone who hated the original He-Man and She-Ra with the fiery passion of a burning sun. (Disclaimer: The last sentence may be embellished for show.)

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I hated the original MOU shows as well. Common ground!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So I saw snips of this show on tumblr and I gotta say, did not expect it to go as hard as it did, especially with the themes of trauma and childhood abuse.

End of episode 9: god, I knew they weren't going to, but if Entrapta had actually died that would have been just heartbreaking. Just the total meaninglessness of it. It wasn't in service to the mission, not some heroic last stand or sacrifice--everyone was already in the clear, they'd just gotten through that final door! But she just had to go back for the bot...
I really enjoyed Princess Invaderzim-gir but something about her "death"/defection felt off to me. There's nothing wrong with how they did it per se, it just felt a little rushed and aspects of it handwaved to make it fit the story, like they felt they absolutely had to get her over to the bad guys' side ASAP. I kinda wish they took a little more time to sell it properly, might've given her death scene and subsequent heel turn more weight.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
She is neuroatypical which means she will easily sell her friends out to a fascist police state if it means she gets to play with shiny toys. This is a progressive show made by progressive people with progressive representation.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Typical Pubbie posted:

But did the show turn you gay?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I really enjoyed Princess Invaderzim-gir but something about her "death"/defection felt off to me. There's nothing wrong with how they did it per se, it just felt a little rushed and aspects of it handwaved to make it fit the story, like they felt they absolutely had to get her over to the bad guys' side ASAP. I kinda wish they took a little more time to sell it properly, might've given her death scene and subsequent heel turn more weight.

I'm not really sure it is a heel-turn though; she was pretty amoral from the moment we met her. She was with the princesses basically because "hey, these guys are talking to me! and don't mind my experiments!" (plus Adora had a cool tech-sword) and not because she was opposed to the Horde. So when the princesses left her and the Horde said "hey, we've got all this tech you like, wanna be friends?" she jumps on it.

She doesn't really seem to have any actual malice towards the princess, at least not yet. They're just not a consideration at all when compared to all the cool new science experiments she gets to run.

On the plus side, that does make it slightly easier to redeem her down the line. With no actual malice you can go for a "you have to consider how your actions affect others" storyline instead of a "you can't just lash out at others" storyline (which is more a Catra thing anyway).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
nah yeah you're totally right, and heel-turn wasn't exactly what I meant for the reasons you stated, I just couldn't think of a better way to put it succinctly at the time. Amoral is spot on though.

BTW, this is from last page, but I had to go back just now and laugh at how terrible this design was:

It's like what an edgelord 15-year-old me would've drawn after reading a bunch of Liefeld's X-men

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Adora was not bland but felt more blank slate to me as a character coming out of an abusive home life as a child soldier who know little else other than very vague memories as a toddler(? - we’re unsure when she was stolen). But no chemistry with Catra?

The varying power levels is a callback to the original series as well as a comedy thing. I do think Swift Wind was a bit disjointed and makes me wonder if there was more of them in between the first to second appearance that was cut at some point given a first season budget.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Saying Adora has no chemistry with Catra....I'mma have to respectfully disagree with that

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Wildeyes posted:

Saying Adora has no chemistry with Catra....I'mma have to respectfully disagree with that

Yeah Catra slept on her bed wistfully waiting for Adora.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Catra owns.

Trying to find a good Catra pic, ideally in tux, to replace my current avatar. Wanna try doing the double-tall thing but I can't find a post explaining how to do it.

Anyway, here's some Catra fanart I found while looking for avatar candidates

I kinda really like this take

If I can reverse the top one so she's facing the posts, and keep the Force Captain badge and eye colors on the right sides, I might go with that one

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Has there been any scuttlebutt about the possibility of a Horde Prime, like there was in the original series? I think it'd be interesting if it turns out that Etheria is just one (albeit important) colony among lots of others, and that Hordak is Horde Prime's brother, and that Horde Prime ordered Hordak to take care of the Rebellion on Etheria because he needed his most powerful general overseeing the defense against the insurgency. At some point, Horde Prime will send his son, Prince Zed, to Hordak, so that Hordak can do the whole feudal lord thing where you take in the royal nephew and show him how to be a man and stuff, etc, but then Prince Zed just totally loving defects to the Rebellion because he's the gayest one of all

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Also, does anyone else think that the etchings in the She-Ra sword have a subtle Sefirot design?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Of course the fandom is making nude fanart. :rolleyes:
:nws: due to female presenting nipples.

https://Nasolingusfan.tumblr.com/post/181020149343/catra

HappyKitty posted:

Has there been any scuttlebutt about the possibility of a Horde Prime, like there was in the original series? I think it'd be interesting if it turns out that Etheria is just one (albeit important) colony among lots of others, and that Hordak is Horde Prime's brother, and that Horde Prime ordered Hordak to take care of the Rebellion on Etheria because he needed his most powerful general overseeing the defense against the insurgency. At some point, Horde Prime will send his son, Prince Zed, to Hordak, so that Hordak can do the whole feudal lord thing where you take in the royal nephew and show him how to be a man and stuff, etc, but then Prince Zed just totally loving defects to the Rebellion because he's the gayest one of all

I'm more concerned about them being trapped in the Despondos dimension. I want to know more about why Mara did that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I started this on a whim to wash out the grim (and excellent) taste of Castlevania out of my mouth with something bright and colorful and gay and I would just like to say this show kicks rear end and I love it. Psyched for future seasons. Shout out to Scorpia. And Mermista. And Entrapta. And pretty much every character tbh

Only actual issue I had with it was the ludicrously fast turnaround time all the protagonists had on changing their mind about stuff. Apart from Glimmer not trusting Adora for like an episode and a half the rest are all stubborn for maybe 10 minutes at most before going "yeah ok sure" to whatever the issue was. But it's a show for kids and 13 episodes doesn't leave the most room in the world when you're spending half of them introducing the cast, so I get why it was like that.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I started this on a whim to wash out the grim (and excellent) taste of Castlevania out of my mouth with something bright and colorful and gay and I would just like to say this show kicks rear end and I love it. Psyched for future seasons. Shout out to Scorpia. And Mermista. And Entrapta. And pretty much every character tbh

Only actual issue I had with it was the ludicrously fast turnaround time all the protagonists had on changing their mind about stuff. Apart from Glimmer not trusting Adora for like an episode and a half the rest are all stubborn for maybe 10 minutes at most before going "yeah ok sure" to whatever the issue was. But it's a show for kids and 13 episodes doesn't leave the most room in the world when you're spending half of them introducing the cast, so I get why it was like that.

When you consider that in the original, The Great Rebellion took all of ten seconds to take He-Man's word for it and accept Adora into their ranks, this current Adora's acceptance arc might as well have been measured by geological time by comparison

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm more concerned about them being trapped in the Despondos dimension. I want to know more about why Mara did that.

No reason Horde Prime can't exist; Mara could have sealed them off shortly after Hordak was sent to Etheria, meaning that the Horde keeps operating while they remain trapped, maybe even in some sort of suspended animation deal, so that when She-Ra inevitably frees Etheria from Despandos, the Horde, and Horde Prime are there waiting to resume battle with the First Ones.

:tinfoil:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

HappyKitty posted:

When you consider that in the original, The Great Rebellion took all of ten seconds to take He-Man's word for it and accept Adora into their ranks, this current Adora's acceptance arc might as well have been measured by geological time by comparison

I have zero prior knowledge of, history with, or affection for any previous Grayskull-adjacent fiction so that's news to me v:shobon:v

Good to know the characters are more discerning these days though.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
show good

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Comments on the show from an actual child: “It looks like an anime. I like it because she has blonde hair and my sister has blonde hair. And she has a unicorn and unicorns are my favorite animal. Also there are some boy characters, too.”

I would be happy to see Horde Prime show up and Hordak react to him exactly how he did in the old series and it’s played totally straight. No longer a goofy snorting tyrant but still terrified of getting his big brother the wrong birthday present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I have zero prior knowledge of, history with, or affection for any previous Grayskull-adjacent fiction so that's news to me v:shobon:v

Good to know the characters are more discerning these days though.

They've also only known He-Man for, like, a day by that point.