Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Desumaytah posted:

In terms of branding, yeah, Kong was the favorite. I'm talking physically. Even in KKvG, where he was beefed up to Godzilla's size, Kong was portrayed pretty solidly as having to fight an uphill battle. The only thing that saved him at the end was the lightning storm.

It might be cheesetastic but judging by what we've seen legendary could do one heck of an angry lightning-kong scene.

Maybe with John c Riley coming back to narrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Shot Context:

Yeah brother.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Scyantific posted:

Finally found a watchable version of the original teaser, scope the multi-legged monster. Imagine if Legendary was playing the long game with this kaiju
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVp3rV5ZrTI

It's not. The claws in the new trailer are very spider/insect like.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Peanut President posted:

It's not. The claws in the new trailer are very spider/insect like.
So here's this giant enemy crab.

https://twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU/status/1072508055978418176
Man, it'd be sweet if there were more surprise kaiju in the film than just the two unknowns in the trailer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

As per usual, the true monster is man

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Tekne posted:

So here's this giant enemy crab.

https://twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU/status/1072508055978418176
Man, it'd be sweet if there were more surprise kaiju in the film than just the two unknowns in the trailer.

They should slam as many monsters into this as possible, especially the smaller ones who probably wouldn't carry a main antagonist role by themselves. I want to see Varan, and not Varan in the background because his costume is too damaged like in Destroy All Monsters, but up close, filling the frame, full-tilt Varan action. Titanosaurus as well.

If they do have another monster in Kong vs. Godzilla for them to team up against, I'd be down for Hedorah, who really gave Godzilla a run for his money back in 71, and could be potentially really frightening and relevant if done well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Karloff posted:

They should slam as many monsters into this as possible, especially the smaller ones who probably wouldn't carry a main antagonist role by themselves. I want to see Varan, and not Varan in the background because his costume is too damaged like in Destroy All Monsters, but up close, filling the frame, full-tilt Varan action. Titanosaurus as well.

If they do have another monster in Kong vs. Godzilla for them to team up against, I'd be down for Hedorah, who really gave Godzilla a run for his money back in 71, and could be potentially really frightening and relevant if done well.

Hedora would actually be a great bonus monster for a follow up given the damage the monsters are likely to wreak on the Earth, from the ashes of the defeated Titans and the mess humans made something worse than either on their own only 2 of the mightiest monsters could stop (after they both punch each other for a while I guess).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know what's this but I want it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zilla isn't a terrible design, and if they had gone all in on the statue of liberty sized lantern-jaw raptors they could make a nice addition to the Kaiju roster.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

it's kinda funny that Zilla got bodied so hard on final wars, but I'm still glad she made an appearance and wasn't ignored completely. I agree that the design is pretty rad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm wondering if the movie will go down the "destruction is beautiful" route or if it will go down the Shin Godzilla/Terminator 2 style "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress run" tone.

It'll be interesting because the way devastation is portrayed in fiction tends to have a real life analogue. Lots of city busting Hollywood films use 9/11 as their frame of reference. Pacific Rim is notable for depicting it's destruction like hurricane aftermaths. Shin goes all out on nuclear hellfire and I can't help but feel like the Atomic breath scene is a counter to Independence Day in a pot of ways.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm wondering if the movie will go down the "destruction is beautiful" route or if it will go down the Shin Godzilla/Terminator 2 style "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress run" tone.

It'll be interesting because the way devastation is portrayed in fiction tends to have a real life analogue. Lots of city busting Hollywood films use 9/11 as their frame of reference. Pacific Rim is notable for depicting it's destruction like hurricane aftermaths. Shin goes all out on nuclear hellfire and I can't help but feel like the Atomic breath scene is a counter to Independence Day in a pot of ways.

Probably the second. Ghidorah explicitly causes a hurricane when he flies, the ARG stuff calls him a living extinction event, and in an interview the director described Rodan as a flying a-bomb that destroys cities simply by passing overhead. A world ruled by these monsters, he said, is a world incompatible with human civilization.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_z_kPP3Zi8

Godzilla versus the Great Mazinga!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlX2Bn9Nrxk

He has an ugly tongue!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla doesn't use his launching claw in enough movies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Will Godzilla use his atomic breath to fly in this movie?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Will Godzilla use his atomic breath to fly in this movie?

That's something you don't see every day.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I wonder how much it would cost to do a full legendary style Godzilla flight scene. Just like as a short on YouTube.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't know what's this but I want it

Here you go:

https://awesomecollector.com/collections/x-plus-japanese-import/products/godzilla-1998-deforeal-series-ric-boy-exclusive

Deforeal series is REALLY good.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sheldon: MAZINGA

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thanks!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I think the blue mystery monster is Mothra in her larval stage or her offspring.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I have what is probably a mind bendingly stupid question about the Netflix Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters series, but has nevertheless been bugging the crap out of me trying to rewatch the first one.

My problem is basically: Godzilla has taken over earth, and we see that via recap which shows us that Godzilla did that by slowly walking across the planet, torching all the other kaiju and also literally everything else, devastating everything in his path. Then the nukes failed, and so mankind and the remaining Aliens were forced to flee earth, down to a couple thousand people from billions but I'll accept that they all died to monsters before the ship got built or whatever. So the premise is just that Godzilla is this unavoidable implacable natural force, but like, why didn't they give nomadism a try? Like...Godzilla walks everywhere. I don't remember them showing him move any faster (but I might have forgotten it). So why don't the remaining people of earth use their alien space age super technology to like, just stay away from him? Establish a temporary settlement, leave when Godzilla gets nearby, maybe live underground like in that one movie, I dunno.

Again I know this is dumb but I actually quite like these weird netflix Godzillas but this particular thing is bugging me a bit

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You mean why didn't they just build floating cloud cities and shoot pew pew lasers at Godzilla? Develop gas to put him to sleep? Make a Jillzilla so he could, like, chill every now and then and not be so destructivy?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Gatts posted:

You mean why didn't they just build floating cloud cities and shoot pew pew lasers at Godzilla? Develop gas to put him to sleep? Make a Jillzilla so he could, like, chill every now and then and not be so destructivy?

Or just like yurts with air conditioning, something you could pack up and move. Or is it because his atom breath can shoot into space? It can't shoot around the curve of the earth though, so like, stay in the other hemisphere or something?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I mean, I'm gonna hazard a guess that when Godzilla goes all scorched-earth, it tends to leave things a bit radioactive.

I haven't watched the movies because Urobuchi's basically used up the good will he won from Psycho-Pass S1, so I don't know if they actually address this. But it does seem like an odd thing to worry about.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I still haven't seen the second film yet, but one small thing to address the "thousands from billions" bit, I got the distinct impression that there were lots of these colony ships, and that because nobody had any idea where else they'd find goldilocks planets (recall they're rare enough that TWO different refugee species picked out Earth as their hope) they just sort of shot off in different directions hoping to find stuff. These guys aren't nearly the only survivors of the exodus, but they're the ones who had recently decided to try going back to Earth and recapturing it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
They should've put their cities on wheels and driven them around to stay alive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Hedora would actually be a great bonus monster for a follow up given the damage the monsters are likely to wreak on the Earth, from the ashes of the defeated Titans and the mess humans made something worse than either on their own only 2 of the mightiest monsters could stop (after they both punch each other for a while I guess).

And the old ARG already hinted at Hedorah being the first suspected active Kaiju of the 20th century, during the Great London Smog.

I do wonder how they might interpret Hedorah. I'd go for a gigantic active slime mold or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the old ARG already hinted at Hedorah being the first suspected active Kaiju of the 20th century, during the Great London Smog.

I do wonder how they might interpret Hedorah. I'd go for a gigantic active slime mold or something.

King Kong wearing a jumpsuit made out of trash bags and smoking a cigarette

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wow, they're actually going to make Ghidorah an alien. :rock:

Oh and this movie is going to make a billion $ without blinking.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Slutitution posted:

Oh and this movie is going to make a billion $ without blinking.

That is absolutely not going to happen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

Both Kong and Godzilla crossed 500M worldwide. I think this KOTM, if it turns out to be actually good and entertaining (and gets good reviews) should have enough legs to get close. I doubt it will but It should cross 600-700 million.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mechafunkzilla posted:

King Kong wearing a jumpsuit made out of trash bags and smoking a cigarette

Godzilla's going to discover that Rodan, Mothra, and KG are actually just Kong in more and more elaborate disguises.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm pretty sure Mothra is gonna be on the human side and will fight Rodan to save us while Godzilla is fighting Ghidorah.

Like, I'm pretty sure MBB is gonna be on that big plane Rodan's claws are reaching out for, and the Mothra diving in with spiky bits deployed to save her scene goes with it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 13, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I really really like how this movie seems like a huge exploration of how that scene in Godzilla notices a human being for the first time plays out

They either want to protect us or kill us

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

mothra dies and her body lands in the trash gyre. an egg pops out and they retrieve it. her body decomposes and joins the trash gyre creating a trash monster

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Anyone manage to get some really good stills from the trailer yet? I need new desktop images :frogsiren:

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
So King Ghidorah is literally trying to save Earth's biosphere from human activity by doing what is necessary, and Hollywood is portraying him as evil?

Is this film sponsored by the Koch brothers?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Slutitution posted:

So King Ghidorah is literally trying to save Earth's biosphere from human activity by doing what is necessary, and Hollywood is portraying him as evil?

Is this film sponsored by the Koch brothers?

I don't think KG cares about humans and what they've done to the earth's biosphere/climate, pretty sure his beef is with Godzilla. who also doesn't care about human ppl. Godzilla + mothra represent earth together so I feel like humans might have done them dirty at some point though