Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

tonberrytoby posted:

So, I decided to do the first really long sous-vide session with my new Anova.
The cheap offbrand ziplock bag started dissolving after around 20 hours. The bag itself seems tight, but the writing on the outside flaked off. Now my water and circulator are full of paint flake.
Really annoying.
This really makes me wonder how much BPA I've ingested via sous vide cooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dy. posted:

This really makes me wonder how much BPA I've ingested via sous vide cooks.

Always Ziplock (when I'm too lazy to use the food saver)

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Tired: Storing food in dodgy plastic bags
Wired: Cooking food in dodgy plastic bags

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/11/plastic-use.aspx

don't use bags made of PVC/PET(look for a 3 and 1 by the plastics logo), they're the ones that are known to leach chemicals

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Elizabethan Error posted:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/11/plastic-use.aspx

don't use bags made of PVC/PET(look for a 3 and 1 by the plastics logo), they're the ones that are known to leach chemicals

Mercola is a hack and spews pseudoscience BS. got a better source?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

toplitzin posted:

This can’t be stated strongly enough. Mercola is an antivax altmed nutbag. If he says the sun’s going to rise in the east tomorrow, look for independent confirmation.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

has anyone used Nomiku's meals? am I missing something? It's literally just vacuum seal cooked food that you are reheating with a sous vide cooker vs. in a pot of water? why are there all these people posting videos about how their amazing Nomiku 'cooked and seared' a steak in 30 minutes?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

toplitzin posted:

i would change to another page but it lists the numbers and which are bad, also searching "plastic types by number" is a loving rabbithole full of woo anyway

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 10, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Doing cheap beef for tamales (cooking it with some of the chile sauce).

145 degrees, but 48 hours or 72? MC seems to suggest 72, but lots of other sites list 24-48.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Doing cheap beef for tamales (cooking it with some of the chile sauce).

145 degrees, but 48 hours or 72? MC seems to suggest 72, but lots of other sites list 24-48.

depends on how tender you want it, though the sauce might not survive the whole cook fyi

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

depends on how tender you want it, though the sauce might not survive the whole cook fyi

Wait what do you mean the sauce won’t survive?

I’ve done brisket with sauce this way and it’s been awesome. Haven’t killed anyone yet (though one of the traditionalists suggested adding raw garlic to the bags, which was a big ole nope).

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Does anyone have advice for soft-boiled eggs? I've been experimenting with sous vide eggs but, I found it seems took the yolk to the perfect jammyness while leaving the whites largely liquid. Some sites suggested following up with a 3 minute boil (then what is the point of the sous vide!?) but no matter what I do, I can't get a shell off a soft boiled egg without shredding the white. I've tried pinholes, running cold water, ice baths, and every cracking technique I could find. If I cook the eggs more, I just end up with hard-boiled. I've read some people use baking soda?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-25500-Cooker-Poaching/dp/B00F0R72JU/ is something I picked up on sale, and it's been amazing. I know it's not sv, but I feel like sv isn't the right solution if you like eggs certain ways

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, unless I have a need to have just the yolk a certain way, I just steam my eggs in the rice cooker for hard/soft boiled.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BedBuglet posted:

Does anyone have advice for soft-boiled eggs? I've been experimenting with sous vide eggs but, I found it seems took the yolk to the perfect jammyness while leaving the whites largely liquid. Some sites suggested following up with a 3 minute boil (then what is the point of the sous vide!?) but no matter what I do, I can't get a shell off a soft boiled egg without shredding the white. I've tried pinholes, running cold water, ice baths, and every cracking technique I could find. If I cook the eggs more, I just end up with hard-boiled. I've read some people use baking soda?

google 6 minute eggs

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
6 minutes works for me and as for peeling, make sure they are thoroughly cooled under running water and then crack the shell all around. Afterwards pry off tiny pieces under running water and let the water run under the shell between eeg white and the skin. Then tear of the next bit.

It does work, but simply "peel it under running water" doesn't explain. It well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I think sous vide is just unsuited for making a traditional soft boiled egg. Because the white needs a different temperature then the yolk. The true modernist way would be to separate them, cook them separately and then combine them.
And dropping them into a boil after precooking them has only disadvantages compared to just steaming them with a timer.

Here are some nice demonstrations on how not to cook eggs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHBuedABOo
And peeling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIe4A-cpC4

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

I think sous vide is just unsuited for making a traditional soft boiled egg. Because the white needs a different temperature then the yolk. The true modernist way would be to separate them, cook them separately and then combine them.
And dropping them into a boil after precooking them has only disadvantages compared to just steaming them with a timer.

Here are some nice demonstrations on how not to cook eggs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHBuedABOo
And peeling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIe4A-cpC4

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-29-2016/dyzcTz.mp4

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

I've done every one of those things. Also done (not shown), missing the pan completely and having it roll right under the heating element.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Last Christmas we got my hopefully future father-in-law a sous vide circulator which he has not used.

I'm visiting this Christmas and have been asked to help him cook something with it. I usually use mine for long, braise-like cooks, but won't have the time for that kind of thing. I've had middling results with steak because I tend to get a little sear-happy and overcook it at the end (possibly my biggest personal failing).

Any suggestions for something that really shows off the sous vide with under 5 hours of cook time?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I sous vide eggs in the shell at 167 for 6 minutes, ice bath, then fridge. I usually do a dozen at a time. After this I've a week's supply of perfectly poached eggs that just need to sit in hottest-temp-tap-water for a few minutes before serving. It's super convenient!

dy. posted:

Last Christmas we got my hopefully future father-in-law a sous vide circulator which he has not used.

I'm visiting this Christmas and have been asked to help him cook something with it. I usually use mine for long, braise-like cooks, but won't have the time for that kind of thing. I've had middling results with steak because I tend to get a little sear-happy and overcook it at the end (possibly my biggest personal failing).

Any suggestions for something that really shows off the sous vide with under 5 hours of cook time?

Vegetables, super corn flavored corn or retrograde the starch in some sweet potato.

Make an obscenely delicious chicken salad.

Get some thicc pork chops and do mid rare pork. (Note this involves you not sucking at searing)

Get tiny jars and do sous vide custard or egg bites.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 10, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dy. posted:

pork loin is pretty quick and - at least when I did it for my fam - was pretty impressive, since most people are used to dry and at least a little overcooked pork

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

dy. posted:

To be honest try working on your steak technique. That’s literally the best combo of time/impressiveness that I can think of.

SV veggies are fun but also use a really high cook temp, so you have to deal with a lot of evaporation. For just a single ingredient, SV mashed potatoes are really something to experience.

How are you oversearing though? In general a steak should be a perfect brown on the outside with barely any effort at all. Do you skip drying the meat or throw it on a cold pan or something?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Dewgy posted:

To be honest try working on your steak technique. That’s literally the best combo of time/impressiveness that I can think of.

SV veggies are fun but also use a really high cook temp, so you have to deal with a lot of evaporation. For just a single ingredient, SV mashed potatoes are really something to experience.

How are you oversearing though? In general a steak should be a perfect brown on the outside with barely any effort at all. Do you skip drying the meat or throw it on a cold pan or something?
It's mostly that I slightly overcook while chasing a perfect crust. In retrospect my pan temp probably just wasn't high enough. I'm sure I can get it right, I just can't bear the thought of serving an overcooked steak to other people.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

dy. posted:

It's mostly that I slightly overcook while chasing a perfect crust. In retrospect my pan temp probably just wasn't high enough. I'm sure I can get it right, I just can't bear the thought of serving an overcooked steak to other people.

Get a torch. It takes a bit of practice but it is worth it. Also saves on cleaning.

dy. posted:

Fish. Probably my second favorite way to cook salmon but the trick is you HAVE to brine the fish first or the meat turns to mush. The flake on a sous vide salmon is amazing.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BedBuglet posted:

Get a torch. It takes a bit of practice but it is worth it. Also saves on cleaning.

Fish. Probably my second favorite way to cook salmon but the trick is you HAVE to brine the fish first or the meat turns to mush. The flake on a sous vide salmon is amazing.

You can get very, very tender salmon, almost like sushi, at like, 123 or 126*F without brining.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sextro posted:

Get tiny jars and do sous vide custard or egg bites.

Sous vide creme brulee has always knocked everybody's socks off when I've made them. 5 hours counting fridge setting time could be pushing it though. I always slice a few berries and put them on top after torching the sugar on top and it ends up having an amazing presentation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

dy. posted:

The way I’ve been doing it is get a little butter on the pan melted and coated, but not super hot, then get the steaks out of the SV and towel them bone dry. When you’re ready to go, crank the heat until the butter browns and sizzles, then go to town. Usually only about 30-60 seconds each side/edge, but you can flip a lot if you’re paranoid to check.

Also, just screwing around, I did a little bit of a sirloin at a mid-well, 155, and... it was really drat good actually. Not normally a fan of well done but if you know someone weird like that, a SV well done steak is still kind of a hell of a thing.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait what do you mean the sauce won’t survive?

I’ve done brisket with sauce this way and it’s been awesome. Haven’t killed anyone yet (though one of the traditionalists suggested adding raw garlic to the bags, which was a big ole nope).
I imagined it to be similar to cooking spices too long on regular cooks, but couldn't find anything to support that so vov

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Just saw this recipe for making any cheese melt like American slices:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices

Someone convince me it's a really loving stupid and bad idea to tool with this until I get a melty version of parmigiano-reggiano for a gooey melt on a burger with a heavy garlic aioli because I know no limits to how dumb I'll be

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I imagined it to be similar to cooking spices too long on regular cooks, but couldn't find anything to support that so vov

The sauce is basically dried New Mexico chiles, onions, and garlic that have been toasted in a hot oven, boiled in beef stock, and then puréed and strained.

You can do chicken in a chile sauce SV and basically pull/shred it in the bag before opening and boom you have taco or enchilada filling of the gods.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Whalley posted:

Just saw this recipe for making any cheese melt like American slices:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices

Someone convince me it's a really loving stupid and bad idea to tool with this until I get a melty version of parmigiano-reggiano for a gooey melt on a burger with a heavy garlic aioli because I know no limits to how dumb I'll be
That's an incredibly finicky approach to a dead simple process (although that's kinda ChefSteps in a nutshell), but making a sauce or meltable slices out of random cheeses via sodium citrate or whatever is totally legit.

lol at them using sodium citrate to try to sell ya a fuckin' Joule, though

edit: I can't emphasize this enough. They're not even giving you a loving time or anything. They're literally telling you to use a vac sealer and a puddle machine just to melt cheese.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Kenji ruined it for everyone. When you are at a resolution/precision of 0.5 in temps, sou vide becomes the hammer to every nail.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So my parents decided they want a circulator for Christmas - I’ve got a ton of more in-depth cookbooks like MC etc. but does anyone have recommendations for ah, more approachable sv books? They’re fairly competent cooks, but I’m looking for some other gift options and I don’t think they would get a ton of use out of any of the books I have on my shelf currently.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hauki posted:

So my parents decided they want a circulator for Christmas - I’ve got a ton of more in-depth cookbooks like MC etc. but does anyone have recommendations for ah, more approachable sv books? They’re fairly competent cooks, but I’m looking for some other gift options and I don’t think they would get a ton of use out of any of the books I have on my shelf currently.

Just print and bind Kenji's SV Food Lab deep dives for each protein.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SubG posted:

That's an incredibly finicky approach to a dead simple process (although that's kinda ChefSteps in a nutshell), but making a sauce or meltable slices out of random cheeses via sodium citrate or whatever is totally legit.

lol at them using sodium citrate to try to sell ya a fuckin' Joule, though

edit: I can't emphasize this enough. They're not even giving you a loving time or anything. They're literally telling you to use a vac sealer and a puddle machine just to melt cheese.
That's even better to know - honestly using SV can get annoying for simple poo poo like this. Also gently caress it, I'm going to try this on a stovetop some time soon

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
OTOH using SV to make caramel sauce is like 100 times easier.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

LorneReams posted:

OTOH using SV to make caramel sauce is like 100 times easier.

Huh how do you reach high enough temps?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Huh how do you reach high enough temps?
Sugar at 179 for a couple hours with some egg yolks and vanilla makes for a surprisingly easy and good caramel sauce. It's never going to hit a soft ball stage but you don't SV for candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Whalley posted:

That's even better to know - honestly using SV can get annoying for simple poo poo like this. Also gently caress it, I'm going to try this on a stovetop some time soon
Yeah, melting cheese to make a sauce---even using modernist/molecular methods---is still dead loving simple and super loving forgiving. Most of the time I'll do it in the microwave if it's something I already know the proportions for: citrate and water in a ramekin (or whatever) for a couple seconds; add the roughly-cubed or crumbed cheese; microwave for a few more seconds; mix with a spoon or whatever; hit it for a few more seconds if it needs it.

I type that out just to emphasize that it's really, really not something that requires (or profits from) super fine control of temperature or anything like that. You really have to loving try to get a citrate sauce to break.

Also: while I'm sure the ChefSteps recipes work just fine, holy loving poo poo you don't actually need to use sodium citrate, sodium hexametaphosphate, and sodium caseinate just to make a cheese sauce. I mean I get that a lot of their audience is actually in it for the fiddly, overcomplicated poo poo. But if you're looking at it and aren't familiar with the general method please don't draw the conclusion that it's gotta be that complicated. It doesn't.

My general method for figuring out how to make a sauce with citrate and an unfamiliar cheese is to use a standard proportion of citrate and water (or milk or whatever liquid I'm using)---I generally use about 1/2 tsp of sodium citrate and 1/4 cup of water, just because that's an easy proportion to remember---warm it enough that the citrate is dissolved, and then slowly add microplaned cheese until I get the consistency I want.

I mean if you really want to dig in and make poo poo as complicated as possible right off the bat because that's your jam don't let me stop you. I'm just saying all of this because I think that using sodium citrate is one of the few modernist/molecular techniques that absolutely should be in every home cook's repertoire. And it's really dead simple and I wouldn't want anyone to be scared off because they think it's super complicated.