Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Any recommendations for a new dad car?

Proposed Budget: Up to low $30s
New or Used: I would like new, but wouldn't mind something slightly used - though tech is important to me, I really want it to have at least Android Auto
Body Style: Open - I'd love something with a hatch but I would like to avoid huge SUVs. May be open to a smaller crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Commute to work (short) and hauling the baby around (car seats are so big now my GTI barely fits one well, and I imagine we'll have two in the lifetime of my next car so will need room to grow. Even the trunk just isn't enough for more than a stroller and a few small grocery bags.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety and ease of use with car seats are the most important things for me right now, but I want something that is fun to drive, which for me means quick acceleration and nimble with tight steering.

I am looking mostly at the Accord 2.0T Sport since that looks like it fits all my checkboxes pretty well (except a hatch) but wanted to see if this thread has any other ideas. My wife already has an Outback, which is a great car, but I'd like something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Accord is a good choice. The cross shopping you'd want to do with that is Camry and Sonata. They are all great cars, but honestly not the best vehicles if you do become a family of 4.

Have you considered the VW Tiguan, if you love your GTI and want to stay with that brand, its easy to lift kids into carseats at that height. I know my local VW dealer sells an absolutely fuckton of Tiguans to young families.

Otherwise Rav4 or CRV are barely big enough for a small family SUV. And cross shop subaru's choices if you enjoy what your wifes car is like.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RFX posted:

New or Used: I would like new, but wouldn't mind something slightly used - though tech is important to me, I really want it to have at least Android Auto
Body Style: Open - I'd love something with a hatch but I would like to avoid huge SUVs. May be open to a smaller crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Commute to work (short) and hauling the baby around (car seats are so big now my GTI barely fits one well, and I imagine we'll have two in the lifetime of my next car so will need room to grow. Even the trunk just isn't enough for more than a stroller and a few small grocery bags.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety and ease of use with car seats are the most important things for me right now, but I want something that is fun to drive, which for me means quick acceleration and nimble with tight steering.

I am looking mostly at the Accord 2.0T Sport since that looks like it fits all my checkboxes pretty well (except a hatch) but wanted to see if this thread has any other ideas. My wife already has an Outback, which is a great car, but I'd like something different.

The Mazda CX-5 would be a good one to look at as a not-huge crossover. The Hyundai Veloster may also tick your boxes.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Deteriorata posted:

The Mazda CX-5 would be a good one to look at as a not-huge crossover. The Hyundai Veloster may also tick your boxes.

Assume you mean the Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe? The Veloster is a 2 door hot hatch thing.

Edit: I guess it has a (!) rear door but I can't imagine it'll fit a car seat very well.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 11, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sits on Pilster posted:

Assume you mean the Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe? The Veloster is a 2 door hot hatch thing.

Edit: I guess it has a (!) rear door but I can't imagine it'll fit a car seat very well.

I don't know if it's big enough for you or not. I figured it would be worth a look.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

RFX posted:

https://jalopnik.com/you-can-finally-score-an-awesome-deal-on-the-buick-tour-1831012041

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Fiances car just poo poo the bed (head gasket, cat converter and more, early 90s outback)

I don't have a car, she needs one for work asap.

Budget: $10k.
New/Used: not used from Craigslist, prefer used/cert pre for as much warranty as possible.
Main purpose is short commute, and long weekend hauls for hikes.

No kids, smaller is a plus for parking, hatchback or not both work.

Less maintenance is better.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m laughing at someone looking at a Hyundai and making fun of a Kia.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Fiances car just poo poo the bed (head gasket, cat converter and more, early 90s outback)

I don't have a car, she needs one for work asap.

Budget: $10k.
New/Used: not used from Craigslist, prefer used/cert pre for as much warranty as possible.
Main purpose is short commute, and long weekend hauls for hikes.

No kids, smaller is a plus for parking, hatchback or not both work.

Less maintenance is better.

We need to make this into the OP but some common choices for a good used car around 10k USD.

Import
2007+ Honda Civic
2009+ Toyota Corolla
2007+ Toyota Camry
2007+ Hyundai Sonata
2011+ Hyundai Elantra
2010+ Mazda3
2011+ Kia Optima

Domestic

2007-2012 Ford Fusion
2013 Chev Malibu

If you give me your zip code ill pick a few out. Also if you loved your Sube they are some good picks for around 10k but usually they will be older/higher mileage then your other imports.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

zapplez posted:

We need to make this into the OP but some common choices for a good used car around 10k USD.

Import
2007+ Honda Civic
2009+ Toyota Corolla
2007+ Toyota Camry
2007+ Hyundai Sonata
2011+ Hyundai Elantra
2010+ Mazda3
2011+ Kia Optima

Domestic

2007-2012 Ford Fusion
2013 Chev Malibu

If you give me your zip code ill pick a few out. Also if you loved your Sube they are some good picks for around 10k but usually they will be older/higher mileage then your other imports.

I did not like the sub. 98115. This list is awesome! I trolled the last 25 pages but only saw a couple requests like this.

Fiancee also did not like the subapoopthebed.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 12, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Re :- Electric SUV

Thanks for all your replies. I had done a bunch of on-line research and not found anything with a small enough price tag. Figured I'd ask the experts. The price of Electric cars has to come down soon, so I guess I'll just wait. Also lol at anything to do with a Jimny. I bought one new and it was a complete POS right out of the box. Not a genuine 4WD with lots of completely unoffroad worthy elements. Avoid, unless you are driving into one. The owner will thank you.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I did not like the sub. 98115. This list is awesome! I trolled the last 25 pages but only saw a couple requests like this.

Fiancee also did not like the subapoopthebed.

To get you started. I haven't checked the history of these vehicles / dealerships. But just to give you an idea of prices / what to look for.

Hyundai elantra (compact car)
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Chev malibu (mid size)

Corolla

Camry

Sonata

Mazda3

I'd probably buy the Camry / Malibu / Sonata if I was in your shoes, but test drive a few to see what you are most comfortable in.

Wildcard options. Get an extra 2 grand and buy something used certified with a decent factory warranty and much newer.

2017 Jetta for 12k

2017 Kia Rio for 12k

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 12, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zapplez posted:

And yet in the chart Cadillac, which is essentially the same engineers and parts quality as Buick is rated as poo poo.

This isn't really true since almost all of Buick's stuff is GME or China origin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zapplez posted:

Import
2007+ Honda Civic
2009+ Toyota Corolla
2007+ Toyota Camry
2007+ Hyundai Sonata
2011+ Hyundai Elantra
2010+ Mazda3
2011+ Kia Optima

Domestic

2007-2012 Ford Fusion
2013 Chev Malibu

prius dawg

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This isn't really true since almost all of Buick's stuff is GME or China origin.

The overlap of most cars is way less than people think these days. The pure rebadges are nowhere near as common as they used to be.
Someone mentioned Nissan/Infiniti and VW/Audi.
Other than the A3/SUV version, kind of the 370z/Qwhatever the gently caress, and maybe an infiniti SUV on a transverse platform (maybe the big one is shared with the trucks, which has always been an unreliable POS), they don't share much. The luxury version are all longitudial, while the cheap ones are transverse. This means the transmission, drivelines, suspension, steering racks, almost everything is different. Even the engines can be different even when the displacement and engine code are the same. For example, the old VW 1.8T in the transverse Jetta/Golf were unaffected by the sludge issue while the longitudinal ones in the Passat/A4 were impacted because they changed the oil pan. There apparently is way less shared between long VQs and transverse VQs than you'd think too. Even the similar 370z and G37 coupe or whatever they call it now will have different issues because the 370z is seriously undercooled due to packaging restraints though they have the same basic drivetrain.
Also, luxury cars also have a whole lot more electronics. They also tend to be built in different factories, which may have better QC. Most of the Japanese luxury cars are still made in Japan and the Germans in Germany while the consumer models are often made in north america. Generally, but not always, luxury cars tend to have better dealer service departments. While this can lead to under reporting because people are more pleased with the service (Tesla avoided getting a bad reliability reputation for years because they made getting your motor replaced pleasant and free), it also means people are more likely to take the car to the dealer for service rather than jiffy lube, and the dealer is more likely to maybe catch something and fix it under warranty before it becomes known to the owner.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004

zapplez posted:

Import
2007+ Honda Civic
2009+ Toyota Corolla
2007+ Toyota Camry
2007+ Hyundai Sonata
2011+ Hyundai Elantra
2010+ Mazda3
2011+ Kia Optima

Domestic

2007-2012 Ford Fusion
2013 Chev Malibu

Add the Kia Forte to the list. I recently sold a well maintained 2014 with 50k miles for under $10k and it took a good 3 weeks for a bite.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thank you! This is a great list :)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m laughing at someone looking at a Hyundai and making fun of a Kia.

I'm sure Hyundai's brand managers are stoked that they've managed to differentiate their two brands to the point where someone would.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Not that anyone in this thread will probably find this interesting but Hyundai and Kia are not brands of one company, they are run independently and compete with each other. they have cross-shareholdings and share some behind the scenes engineering resources, but the design studios are seperate and for the most part the manufacturing is separate too. The relationship is maybe akin to Toyota and Subaru, not Chevy and Buick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren’t made in the same plants ?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

Theres a bunch that don't even have similiar models in their lineups.

Either way, they are both "good" automakers now, and its ok to prefer one over the other. Especially if you had a terrible experience with a certain brand.

This is interesting, JD Power gets a lot of poo poo for not being accurate but this is the problems after 3 years survey. What it mostly shows is all cars a lot better and the gap between the most reliable and the industry average is less than 20%. Its hard to choose a bad car until you get to certain models with known new issues that havent been resolved (ie dodge journey eats brakes, honda turbos are mixing oil/gas,etc) or you get to the actual lovely manufactures like chrylser/fiat and land rover.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/jd-power-2018-us-vehicle-dependability-study

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

There's a couple of Hyundais that are also made at Kia plants, i.e. the North American Accent is made at a Kia plant in Mexico that also makes the Forte, but no Kias at Hyundai plants. Similar to back when Subaru made Camrys in Indiana. I guess what I'm getting at is that people think they are different brands of one company like VW/Audi and so there should be some kind of logical segmentation to their vehicle lineups when they aren't and there isn't. The Forte and the Accent both compete in the same space.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

There's a couple of Hyundais that are also made at Kia plants, i.e. the North American Accent is made at a Kia plant in Mexico that also makes the Forte, but no Kias at Hyundai plants. Similar to back when Subaru made Camrys in Indiana. I guess what I'm getting at is that people think they are different brands of one company like VW/Audi and so there should be some kind of logical segmentation to their vehicle lineups when they aren't and there isn't. The Forte and the Accent both compete in the same space.

More like the Forte and the Elantra, or the Rio and the Accent. But yeah

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So I had a free evening tonight, and I went to the closest dealership with the wife to test drive a white/black Camry hybrid. It was nice, exactly what I was expecting but in exactly the wrong color combo. Before I left, they put a piece of paper in front of me offering the car for $24,200. I couldn't believe it, but thankfully they gave me until tomorrow to think about it.

I went home and called a dealership I had seen with colors I could handle. A little haggling later, and I walked out with it for $25,600. I added a few things like floormats but still felt like I got the car I wanted at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for holding my hand through it, goons. I never thought I'd own a new car in my life, but I'm not freaked at all about it.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
My wife looked at a few cars, and the outcome was vastly different than what I expected

New proposed Budget: $6-$8k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 Door preferred, Moonroof would be nice but not necessary
How will you be using the car?: City commuter (Boston)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No, though heated seats would be a plus (or anything to make the cold go away faster)
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. Safety (including Boston winters). Ease of parking/maneuvering in a city

Right now I'm mainly looking for a sanity check. My wife actually really likes the Toyota Corolla first and Camry second, which is a very happy surprise for me.

I'm thinking of finding a used Toyota with a little over 100k miles on it and a clean carfax report. The idea is if we get a reasonable deal we have my mechanic look at it and if my mechanic gives the thumbs up, just buy it. We have no trade-in and my wife is already pre-approved via our bank.

Are there any red flags I should be aware of with this approach?

diadem fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 15, 2018

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Sits on Pilster posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yep, you guys are making a good decision. Make sure you don't see any puffs of blue smoke when starting the car up, as this indicates oil being burned. It's common on Toyotas that were not maintained properly.

The Corolla will be easier to park and drive in Boston.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So the wild card option at 12k for a 2017 kia turned into 13,300 for a 2018 new kia rio. That's a little higher in price but seems to be a good deal.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat thats a cheap new car. hope you love it!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have much experience with the new Tiguan? Stumbled upon some left over 2018s (not the Tiguan Limited), SE trim, 4Motion, for 23.7k. The warranty is nice.

Shopping the usual suspects - CR-V, CX-5, RAV4.

I’ve enjoyed my GTI but I feel like I’d be tempting the gods by owning 2 VWs in the house.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Proposed Budget: 40K give or take.
New or Used: New or slightly used( < 22 k miles or so)
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly driving 9 miles to work. Getting groceries. Occasional trips to see different sets of family about an hour away (30 - 50 miles).
What aspects are most important to you? I want a car that I like to drive and is also reliable. I'm thinking either luxury or sporty but not sure. I'll give some examples of cars I've recently test driven and what I thought. Maybe goons can help me get my life in order!

Summary: I used to drive 130 miles a day to get to work. Now I drive less than 20 (rounds tip totals).
Currently have a Prius (thanks for the recommendation, thread). It works. It has 150K miles on it but I'm not exactly thrilled with it as it's a very utilitarian car. I'll probably keep driving it until expensive repairs are needed but I'm wondering "what's next?". I haven't had a car I liked in a while so I'm investigating.

Some of this may also be "pre midlife crisis" as there is a baby on the way. So I'll need a car I can put a baby seat in. I guess this means no Corvettes?

I recently test drove:

* Model 3: Holy gently caress did I enjoy this car. Only problem is that it's pretty pricey, and I'm afraid by the time the 35K dollar one rolls around it'll be gimped. The one I test drove was the Extended range and I loved all the tech and the torque available at any speed.

* Mustang GT: I'm a big ole goon and I'm surprised by how much room was in the driver's seat. Accelerated like a boss but with some hard shifts. I think it had all the minimal features I'd want but with 450 hp or something ridiculous.

* ES350: Not sure what's the difference between this and a nice trim Avalon? meh.

* GS350: A little bit more fun than the ES I guess?!

* Honda Accord Touring V6: Yeah it's a car alright... HUD is kinda neat.

My commute is rather bland. Either traffic heavy highways or traffic heavy background. Usually only takes 15- 20 minutes to get there in the AM and 20- 25 in the PM. I guess having a fuckoff powerful car doesn't make sense as I'm not going faster than 35 - 45 ? So maybe something more luxurious?

Or maybe I shouldn't try to find excitement in happiness in a car and just find better hobbies?!

I don't know. I do know I digged that Model 3 though. Would it last past the first 90 days? Seems like a bit of a gamble.

This is my E/N car post I guess!

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 16, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stinger GT. Get the red interior.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TheReverend posted:

Proposed Budget: 40K give or take.

* ES350: Not sure what's the difference between this and a nice trim Avalon? meh.

* GS350: A little bit more fun than the ES I guess?!

The 2019 Avalon is actually cool imho. The XSE looks decent and may even be nicer than the equivalent Lexus if there is one.

edit: or a Stinger or a Golf Alltrack.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah Avalon isn't necessary bad, just not sure why I'd pay for it to say ES.

I'll go check out a Stinger.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

What about the newish Mazda 6 with the turbo? I think the higher end trims strike a good balance between sporty and luxury.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My office buddy has a 6 and that's why I haven't considered them. Everyone makes jokes that we're "work husbands" to each other.

Childish, so I'll reconsider the 6.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What cars look good to you ?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
gently caress it, buy a used IS-f.
Why would you drive and es and a gas but not an is?
A used IS F is possibly the closest thing to a cheap(ish), fast, and reliable car.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

euphronius posted:

What cars look good to you ?

Not sure. I know this sounds like a "goon in the well" problem.
So far Model 3 has been the most memorable experience.
I guess I just have to wait and see that the interior is still nice and the performance is acceptable on the 35000 dollar version (if it ever comes to reality {big if?} )

nm posted:

gently caress it, buy a used IS-f.
Why would you drive and es and a gas but not an is?
A used IS F is possibly the closest thing to a cheap(ish), fast, and reliable car.

I'm a bit fat and thought maybe it could be a tight squeeze. Of course I should lose some weight (and have before) but I'll give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TheReverend posted:

My office buddy has a 6 and that's why I haven't considered them. Everyone makes jokes that we're "work husbands" to each other.

Childish, so I'll reconsider the 6.

tbh if you didn't like a top-trim Accord, you probably won't like a top-trim 6

In a similar vein to the Stinger, the Charger Scat Pack is right there at $40K. While there is the specter of "lol FCA reliability", the Charger is a sorted-out car on that front.

The Genesis G70 3.3TT, a sister to the Kia Stinger, is another great option. The base trim with the 3.3TT in the G70 is a few grand more than the base Stinger GT trim, but if you want certain luxury options like adaptive cruise, a sunroof, or premium audio on the Stinger, both cars are priced similarly.

Some wildcards in used luxury options. Lightly used Infiniti Q50 Red Sports go for under $40K, but you might find the steering funky, and the infotainment is dated. You can avoid the funky steering on the detuned 300 HP versions, but those might not be quick enough for your tastes. The outgoing generation BMW 3-series seems to be much improved in reliability, but long-term German maintenance costs might scare you from the jump.