Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

luxury handset posted:

in the book they complain that they kept coming up with gi joe parodies and then on research discovering that their concepts were actual obscure joes and they had to try again

this leads to minor osi characters like bum rush, who was a dude dressed as a homeless guy pushing another dude dressed like a dog around in a shopping cart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioLebEUHhw

Holy poo poo THAT's where the bear came from.

NOW I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Len posted:

I don't know if it was ever good but my fiancee just restarted Glee.

I'm enjoying playing spot the pedophile.

It’s probably aged really poorly even aside from the pedophile. Was there more than one?

I started Riverdale recently and I don’t know what I think of the recent turn toward campy and bitchy promiscuous gay male characters done in some kind of post-irony ironic way, which I feel like kind of started with Glee. That trend probably won’t age well as the culture continues to move away from the classic Hollywood gay tropes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s probably aged really poorly even aside from the pedophile. Was there more than one?

I started Riverdale recently and I don’t know what I think of the recent turn toward campy and bitchy promiscuous gay male characters done in some kind of post-irony ironic way, which I feel like kind of started with Glee. That trend probably won’t age well as the culture continues to move away from the classic Hollywood gay tropes.

There's the pedophile and the drug addict. I find it not as easy to mock the drug addict because of the general state of things.

But oh man is it great to just randomly yell "FOUND HIM!"

And the old Glee instructor was a self described "predatory gay" who i'm fairly certain was hinted at being a pedophile.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

If you're talking about Kevin, I think he's just wearing that in a 'small town teenager needs something to define himself' way. There's other gay characters who are much less like that, and it's by the same team that's generally been pretty solid on gay characters in their DC shows.

He does have a few things that dated him immediately, though, the writers... can't quite get a reasonable reference point on what a kid like him would be into in the present day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

If you're talking about Kevin, I think he's just wearing that in a 'small town teenager needs something to define himself' way. There's other gay characters who are much less like that, and it's by the same team that's generally been pretty solid on gay characters in their DC shows.

He does have a few things that dated him immediately, though, the writers... can't quite get a reasonable reference point on what a kid like him would be into in the present day.

The pop culture references in Riverdale confuse the poo poo out of me. I feel like one of the first things they teach you in tv writing is to not date your shows with ultra-contemporary references with zero shelf life. And it’s like the show comes from an alternate universe where the internet is only a source of newspaper articles—on earth those teens would be talking about moth memes or whatever. I guess it feeds the unreality of the setting, but they should go whole hog and have the kids talking about old pop culture alongside current things, like being excited to see Elvis on tv and then listening to trap music later or something.

I guess it’s just the same old cringe story of old men not understanding youth no matter how hard they study.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The pop culture references in Riverdale confuse the poo poo out of me. I feel like one of the first things they teach you in tv writing is to not date your shows with ultra-contemporary references with zero shelf life. And it’s like the show comes from an alternate universe where the internet is only a source of newspaper articles—on earth those teens would be talking about moth memes or whatever. I guess it feeds the unreality of the setting, but they should go whole hog and have the kids talking about old pop culture alongside current things, like being excited to see Elvis on tv and then listening to trap music later or something.

I guess it’s just the same old cringe story of old men not understanding youth no matter how hard they study.

The new Sabrina does this well, IMO; characters have cell phones and laptops, but there are still a LOT of land lines in the show, I think every TV I saw was a CRT, and the cars are all from the 50s-70s. It helps to keep the mood of the show unsettling, because in the back of your mind you can never quite work out when the show takes place.

Re: gay characters, yeah, the Berlanti crew are doing an excellent job with gay and bisexual characters in the Arrowverse. I think all four shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow) have at least one character who's in a solid, long-term same-sex relationship (I don't remember if Captain Singh has shown up on Flash recently), and both the A-plot and one of the recurring B-plots on Legends this season revolve around same-sex relationships.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

Well, Riverdale kind of takes place in an alternate reality where it's the modern day but also sort of 1950 and every year in between.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Gotham kind of had that going on too. The ambiguous time period aesthetic is kind of a cool effect

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
TV episodes that did not age well: wait, what year is it

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Besesoth posted:

The new Sabrina does this well, IMO; characters have cell phones and laptops, but there are still a LOT of land lines in the show, I think every TV I saw was a CRT, and the cars are all from the 50s-70s. It helps to keep the mood of the show unsettling, because in the back of your mind you can never quite work out when the show takes place.

Re: gay characters, yeah, the Berlanti crew are doing an excellent job with gay and bisexual characters in the Arrowverse. I think all four shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow) have at least one character who's in a solid, long-term same-sex relationship (I don't remember if Captain Singh has shown up on Flash recently), and both the A-plot and one of the recurring B-plots on Legends this season revolve around same-sex relationships.

You are really not giving Black Lightning the credit it deserves imo

https://twitter.com/NafessaWilliams/status/1067175292962316290?s=19

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Koalas Massacre posted:

You are really not giving Black Lightning the credit it deserves imo

https://twitter.com/NafessaWilliams/status/1067175292962316290?s=19

I haven't started watching it! :o Is it streaming anywhere?

e: o poo poo, it's on Netflix now. I know what I'm watching next!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

Gotham kind of had that going on too. The ambiguous time period aesthetic is kind of a cool effect

A lot of modern Batman adaptations have a timeless look to them, the old Burton and especially the animated series had a very 30's look to them with art deco buildings and Chicago typewriters but interspersed with modern tech like the bat computer or the batjet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

Well, Riverdale kind of takes place in an alternate reality where it's the modern day but also sort of 1950 and every year in between.

See also Archer. It helps that it's strongly implied long-lived witches tend to be slow to adapt to new technology and the setting is a pretty old-fashioned town, but then the mine seems to be literally out of the 50s or even earlier rather than the industrialised operation you'd expect to see today. (of course, that probably also helps the budget)

Still funny that the whole 'black electric guy' stereotype of comic book superheroes is literally 90% because of analogues and rights-skirting counterparts to Black Lightning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don Gato posted:

A lot of modern Batman adaptations have a timeless look to them, the old Burton and especially the animated series had a very 30's look to them with art deco buildings and Chicago typewriters but interspersed with modern tech like the bat computer or the batjet

I've heard that using tommy guns also let them skirt network restrictions on the depictions of firearms in (nominally) children's shows, where most shows just used lasers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Don Gato posted:

Yeah, I’d forgotten about those. It’s a look that really makes sense for the kind of city Gotham is so I’m not surprised that it’s become a standard take.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Black Lightning is good because he is 100% dad all the time. Even when he's superheroing around he's just a super dad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did someone mention how Archer is some weird mix of Cold War with 21st Century? Anachronism is fun!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did someone mention how Archer is some weird mix of Cold War with 21st Century? Anachronism is fun!

That's a selling point tho?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MariusLecter posted:

That's a selling point tho?

Yeah, I wasn't being ironic, I like it. :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember someone once angrily asking Archer what year it was and his response being 'haha yeah, good question'. Love me a floating timeline. It makes It Follows spookier too.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Thanks everyone, I think I'll start Venture Bros from the most recent episode and work backwards until my monocle falls out :unsmigghh:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

By jove, I think he's got it!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite aspect of Gotham's aesthetic was that everything was within a few decades of each other, from 1940 cars to 1990 flip phones, but all of Oswald Cobblepot's clothes were out of date even compared to everything else which helped sell the "Mommy's boy who never fits in" idea, as his suits were all like 1890s stuff, due to being hand-me-downs from his grandfather.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Push El Burrito posted:

God yes Brick Frog was always a favorite.

One of their best names.

He's a guy who dresses like a frog who throws bricks at people.

But:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

His only skills are brick throwing and frog being!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of their best names.

He's a guy who dresses like a frog who throws bricks at people.

But:

the book has a major revelation here - the fact that a brick has a bit called a frog is not the genesis of the name

turns out one of the creators, can't remember which one, had a homemade frog head mask as a kid his mom made. he and his cousins were just playing one day in costumes and the cousin put on the frog head and yelled something about being a brick frog. there's a childhood pic of the frog head

so, one of the more obscure puns they came up with is sadly just a coincidence

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Team-Venture-Making-Bros/dp/1506704875/

Since no one has actually just linked the book itseof yet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo THAT's where the bear came from.

NOW I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS

I hope they never explain Knife Bear (the wiki says his official name is Scare Bear?)

What more do you need to know? He's a guy in a bear costume with a knife... superpower.

And he occasionally saves people from dying of a massive concussion in the snow.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard that using tommy guns also let them skirt network restrictions on the depictions of firearms in (nominally) children's shows, where most shows just used lasers.

I'd be facinated to hear how the rules on that work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's how it didn't age well: The team behind Archer actually had a lot of merch ready to go and suddenly realized that shipping a bunch of t-shirts that says ISIS might not be the best idea.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's actually the best idea :d2a:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Truga posted:

Yeah, they just need to add an international shipping option.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Truga posted:

ISIS probably had their own merch.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've been upset for a while that the news people ruined a perfectly good Egypt/cat name when they could have found a different acronym.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Beachcomber posted:

I've been upset for a while that the news people ruined a perfectly good Egypt/cat name when they could have found a different acronym.

They didn't even have to look very far, ISIL would have been fine (and possibly more accurate)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

christmas boots posted:

They didn't even have to look very far, ISIL would have been fine (and possibly more accurate)

Right?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doesn't have the same scary sound though. :effort:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah, it definitely hurts the possibility of this character showing up in the upcoming Shazam/Black Adam films.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBRLV6PGro

Something tells me "O Mighty Isis!" is not gonna fly well with focus groups. :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, it definitely hurts the possibility of this character showing up in the upcoming Shazam/Black Adam films.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBRLV6PGro

Something tells me "O Mighty Isis!" is not gonna fly well with focus groups. :(

i will be so peeved if i start to see a terrorist organization called tawky tawny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tiggum posted:

In the comics Archie drove a Model T well into the 90s.