Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
clearly the only correct answer to the download speed question is to ask if the file is big-endian or little-endian and enjoy the few seconds of confusion on the interviewer's face as they think about whether that could possibly matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I feel the most important thing in resume writing is to be 100% transparent. Sure put your best foot forward, but if I have to second guess what you actually mean on the first thing I read about you, then I'm already second guessing the application. If you're actually worth your weight in figgies and you know what concise means, your resume should leave your potential employer no option but to give you a phone call.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

I guarantee you that most tech recruiters know what docker is, especially if the jobs they are recruiting for require docker. poo poo, I know people in marketing who know what docker is.

yeah honestly some of these things he's saying come off like he really disdains all the people involved in interviewing him and, like, people can sense that dude. you gotta be able to at least pretend you respect their intelligence.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you interviewing candidates for a hard drive manufacturer?

more like interviewing people with actual internet connections

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Just on that mb/s question I actually think that's a remarkably good one because anyone with any sort of networking experience will immediately notice the distinction between bits/bytes and answer good enough at least while people bluffing their way through will get caught up straight away

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

elite_garbage_man posted:

BUT I LOVE VIDEO GAMES
ah good point, working for a game company is an excellent way to cure you of that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hired.com has some pretty decent opportunities on it in London. It's a bit slower than using a recruiter but way more pleasant. Only problem is that no one seems to read the bit on my profile about where I want to work, the just base it on my current job.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abigserve posted:

Just on that mb/s question I actually think that's a remarkably good one because anyone with any sort of networking experience will immediately notice the distinction between bits/bytes and answer good enough at least while people bluffing their way through will get caught up straight away

yes, it speaks to the point of it that nobody in yospos understood why it was actually a decent question; a decent answer is "assuming line rate, which you wouldn't actually ever get, 8 seconds" and then move on

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

so is the critical bit the question between bits and bytes? wouldn’t you get a higher resolution answer by just asking that straight ahead, or you’re instead gunning for the ability of someone to read the question well?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The download question is terribad hth. Literally a quiz question with an intentional misdirect in it. gently caress the gently caress off

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

so is the critical bit the question between bits and bytes? wouldn’t you get a higher resolution answer by just asking that straight ahead, or you’re instead gunning for the ability of someone to read the question well?

that's how i saw it, vOv

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

for a lot of people the point of being an interviewer is to feel good about how smart you are. asking a question like "how many bits are in a byte" does not make you look smart. you gotta take your tiny bit of knowledge and wrap it in some layers of misdirection

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ratbert90 posted:

I have been asking the question: "I have a 100Mb/s internet connection, how long will it take me to download a 100MB file?" for the last several months to candidates.

I think that question has around a 40% correct answer rate. :smith:

ive given up trying to explain that megabit != megabyte for ages and i've just given up and tell them that the transfer took longer due to latency issues or some made up bullshit.

actually lying about things (especially to users) seems to be the best way to go about anything.

i posted about it before but we solved 99% of our wasted support calls by having our client code just display "There is a problem with your internet connection" instead of the actual error whenever the server doesnt respond with a 2xx/3xx response.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also i gave an interview last week and i find the best way to judge people is to talk with them about various technologies that maybe aren't directly related to the job but are exciting, but take note by how they go "oh so its like <X> but done <Y>" or if they get excited about stuff.

it seems to work at disarming them, helps loosen up introverts a bit, and avoids rote responses that are on the resume. also gives me a feel for if they actually know their poo poo or not.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If anyone is looking to do crypto for $38,000 a year in Boston. I got a recruiter interested in talking to you.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lobstahcoin is going up uP UP!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

huhu posted:

If anyone is looking to do crypto for $38,000 a year in Boston. I got a recruiter interested in talking to you.

probably for $32,000 by now

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
well I somehow bsed my way through the oop design portion of my interview today without them throwing me out on the street.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

The download question is terribad hth. Literally a quiz question with an intentional misdirect in it. gently caress the gently caress off

agree. trick questions are some macho posturing bullshit.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
all of your questions should be geared towards answering the question:

Does this help inform me that this person will be successful in this role?

Is knowing that 8 bits are in a byte critical to that job? Good question. Otherwise: bad question and a waste time for the both of you.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Is knowing that 8 bits are in a byte critical to that job? Good question. Otherwise: bad question and a waste time for the both of you.

this

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I feel like a question, trick or not, that can be flat-out gotten wrong can still be a good question if the interviewer uses it as a starting point, as opposed to just checking the "WRONG" box and moving on.

Like, if the candidate says a 100MB file takes only only second to download over a 100Mb connection, the interviewer could say, "Sorry, the question is a little tricky. I said 100 mega[i]byte[/b] and 100 mega[i]bit[/b]," that accounts for the candidate just mishearing or having a brain fart. If the candidate got it "right" and answered, "Eight seconds!" then the interviewer could ask what sort of factors could cause the download to take longer, to see if the person knows that the Internet is not a Big Truck. (All this is assuming that this stuff is relevant to the role.)

Basically, any time an interviewer just lets the candidate be wrong is bullshit, because development is collaborative and it's good to figure out if you can collaborate well with the person you're interviewing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

ok yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CPColin posted:

I feel like a question, trick or not, that can be flat-out gotten wrong can still be a good question if the interviewer uses it as a starting point, as opposed to just checking the "WRONG" box and moving on.

Like, if the candidate says a 100MB file takes only only second to download over a 100Mb connection, the interviewer could say, "Sorry, the question is a little tricky. I said 100 mega[i]byte[/b] and 100 mega[i]bit[/b]," that accounts for the candidate just mishearing or having a brain fart. If the candidate got it "right" and answered, "Eight seconds!" then the interviewer could ask what sort of factors could cause the download to take longer, to see if the person knows that the Internet is not a Big Truck. (All this is assuming that this stuff is relevant to the role.)

Basically, any time an interviewer just lets the candidate be wrong is bullshit, because development is collaborative and it's good to figure out if you can collaborate well with the person you're interviewing.

This is also a good take

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

i have always found this harder to put into practice than i'd expected, it's definitely a skill to practice. like in this example i'm imagining a candidate flat-out saying "i don't know" and shrugging. is it better to move on or try to feed them something to prompt them? and if so, what?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

like just in general an interview should be a discussion, not a Q&A, otherwise it's a waste of time

or so i see it anyway!

(ed) like take the above post, i'd probably try to prompt discussion once but if the interviewee remains obstinate in ending the line of talk, then :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 13, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

raminasi posted:

i have always found this harder to put into practice than i'd expected, it's definitely a skill to practice. like in this example i'm imagining a candidate flat-out saying "i don't know" and shrugging. is it better to move on or try to feed them something to prompt them? and if so, what?

at one big place I worked we had pre-defined hints. like the wrap up would be "got thru hints 1/2 on their own, but needed to be given hint 3 and ran w/ it". still think that's extreme for most things, but if you're routinely getting stuck like this it can be good to hash out an expected progression

have you run a coworker thru the questions? spring it on them, no prep, just get a good level-set of how good a job you're doing presenting the problem and managing expectations

like if you get a candidate in the room and your fizz buzz "just write curly braces on a whiteboard" is met with a blank stare and "i don't know" you're not screening well enough

side note, but im a lil shocked y'all didn't see who posted the mebibyte question and know exactly how it'd go lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JawnV6 posted:

like if you get a candidate in the room and your fizz buzz "just write curly braces on a whiteboard" is met with a blank stare and "i don't know" you're not screening well enough

the one and only interview I've done completely bombed my question and so I attempted to back out to "can you tell me about depth first search and breadth first search " and they continued to just stare at me blankly and I was left with the horrible feeling of not knowing which of us was the gently caress up in that situation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

the one and only interview I've done completely bombed my question and so I attempted to back out to "can you tell me about depth first search and breadth first search " and they continued to just stare at me blankly and I was left with the horrible feeling of not knowing which of us was the gently caress up in that situation.

it's statements like this that remind me i'm not as much of an impostor as i think

poo poo, maybe i should interview a candidate one of these days, give me a fresh perspective on my own level if nothing else

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

it's statements like this that remind me i'm not as much of an impostor as i think

poo poo, maybe i should interview a candidate one of these days, give me a fresh perspective on my own level if nothing else

skill is distributed ~pareto, just like money

the synchronization of the skill w/ the money is also ~pareto, meaning its poo poo

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

"well the last time I had to think much about how a red-black tree works internally Skater Boi was charting but uh..."

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

"well the last time I had to think much about how a red-black tree works internally Skater Boi was charting but uh..."

Hoffmann?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

well all have our blind spots my dude.

just keep interviewing, keep studying, and you'll get a new job eventually

e: also yeah i'm pretty convinced that having interviewed devs for the last 8 years or so has made being interviewed a lot easier. easy for me to say since i haven't been interviewed in 3+ years but still....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xarn posted:

Yeah, if you don't accept 10s, you are the horror in this thread.

that’s not what this paper I got from the hiring manager says :colbert:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
bad candidates actually made me feel worse about my difficulty with tech screens because I couldn’t help but think that companies were lumping me in with the worst of what I’d seen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i sent the new (2 page) resume to a recruiter who had raised concerns about the old one (leading me to post it here), this time she handed me off to the senior recruiter to set up a conversation with the client.

also had three on-site interviews for different positions at banana inc in the past week, which went as well as they went but they were weird in that the interview had little or no relevance to the job description for which I was contacted.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

got turned down for the first google team I had a matching interview with, we’ll see what I get next

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
this seems like the best thread to complain about a google on-site giving me literally zero system design questions, and 3 different questions about turning inputs into graphs, and then traversing those graphs

they didn't even let me see the campus, i had to hang around in a lovely industrial park across the street

talk about getting high on your own supply

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my biggest :ohno: for an interview is probably being asked to identify or describe specific algorithms or data structures--like in the quizzing, trivia kinda sense; it's easier for me when i'm looking at code

like i can think em through and either remember them or find them again but beyond self descriptive ones like BFS/DFS I just cannot remember them by name

Kinda crap with names in general really :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

omfg there's actually an :ohno: and it's amazing