Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nullfunction posted:

I guess this is probably correct for a lot of places, but anecdotally I've taken more time off (about an additional week) since we went to unlimited PTO this year, and I definitely spent all my PTO time the year before since we had a "use it or lose it" policy previously.

Like most stuff, it'll depend on where you work.

Yeah, likewise. On its face and probably in 99%+ of actual cases it's an employee-loving measure, but it's nice for me coming from a "yeah, you get a week's PTO which is also use-or-lose" position previously. We've got fairly generous allowances - only anything in excess of 10 consecutive days needs any real approval. I've taken more PTO here than I did in basically five years at $OLD_JOB.

Combine with an actual sick time allowance (PTO has to be made aware of at least 24h in advance, sick time is "ugh, I can't work today for $REASONS") and sane WFH policies ("are you kinda sick but not sick enough for sick time? is the weather inclement? gently caress it, just work from home"), and it doesn't feel all that bad, really. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

I delight in the irony of your workplace telling you to take vacation before you lose while also telling you that you can’t take vacation.

Saying that, you jerks trying to take all your vacation in December without any preplanning is just lazy. Your bosses are also lazy to not check on your vacation Totals and let you know mid October that you need to make vacation plans now. If it came down to it, I would still let you take vacation and be understaffed over you simply losing vacation, but I would not be happy about you turning December into emergency vacation time due to year end.
I would concede this except I just had a kid and apparently even FMLA couldn't keep people from bugging me every day so after 3 weeks of that poo poo I just came back to work. Besides... It's not like I 'take all my vacation in December.' I've been here 3 years and never managed to get more than 2 consecutive days off approved. I think before the baby I've used maybe 20 hours of leave in those 3 years.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

tactlessbastard posted:

I get three weeks but quite frankly I have no idea how I could possibly take them this place would fall apart without me

This is a terrible take and you should be ashamed. If that’s the case something needs fixed and that’s not your fault. Take your loving vacation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virigoth posted:

This is a terrible take and you should be ashamed. If that’s the case something needs fixed and that’s not your fault. Take your loving vacation.

Absolutely.

If you're indispensable, you've made a mistake and dead-ended your career at that particular place.

You make yourself promotable, not indispensable.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

One of the doctors kicked over a computer and the hard drive is no longer recognized no matter what we do. The ticket is being passed around with no one taking it or coming to help even though I’m sure the manager did the “TOP PRIORITY THIS IS AFFECTING PATIENT CARE HURRY NOW” shtick. Can one of you guys please just bring me a newly imaged box or hdd; I have a burrito for you if you do and I’ll let you watch Netflix in our network room until lunch and pretend you’re working on the problem since the ticket in no way indicates the actual problem. I can even install the EMR and dictation software and printers for you if you just bring me a pc and just leave it sitting here

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Virigoth posted:

This. Your company's staffing issues are not your problem as an IT dude (unless you are a C-level). Take your vacation.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Well, sometimes it's a softer version of "things fall apart when I leave." I was the only person on my team who did the sysadmin stuff for my system--one of my coworkers was my backup, but even when she worked backup it was basically "I have to keep doing my work while you're out, so I'll put the small fires out for you but I'm not touching huge issues and I'm not working on anything that you were working on because you know the details and I don't." It was this way all across the team: we were all experts on particular systems and locations, and while our colleagues could keep the ship from sinking in our absence, work piled right the gently caress up. It was bad enough that many of us would specifically choose not to take longer vacations because of how stressful it was coming back.

And yes, we constantly asked management to increase staffing levels and no, they never did. That was the issue that finally drove me into another job. On the plus side, I cashed out a hell of a lot of leave when I left.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I get four weeks a year currently, goes up to 6 weeks on my hire anniversary next summer. I take a day here and a day there, never work a full day on Fridays, etc. I still keep about 90 hours in the bank. Helps keeps my alcohol bills low and my sanity intact.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

freeedr posted:

The ticket is being passed around with no one taking it or coming to help even though I’m sure the manager did the “TOP PRIORITY THIS IS AFFECTING PATIENT CARE HURRY NOW” shtick.

We have a ticket from the police asking for user information for a given IP on a given date. Nobody's working it and I haven't asked why; I'm not working it because snitches get stitches.

The Macaroni posted:

It was this way all across the team: we were all experts on particular systems and locations, and while our colleagues could keep the ship from sinking in our absence, work piled right the gently caress up. It was bad enough that many of us would specifically choose not to take longer vacations because of how stressful it was coming back.

And yes, we constantly asked management to increase staffing levels and no, they never did.

I know this is not always possible, but when I hit my 30s I stopped giving a gently caress about other people's problems so long as my work was getting done, so in your shoes I'd come back from holiday and start work back up at my normal sustainable pace.

When it comes to staffing I've found they mostly care about whether their projects are getting done, so if you overwork yourself to do it they won't act.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Has some update gone out that's caused computers to slow to a crawl this morning? Especially with Outlook or other Office apps?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Has some update gone out that's caused computers to slow to a crawl this morning? Especially with Outlook or other Office apps?

First off: Evergreen post.

Second: I had to reboot my laptop twice to get it to open Outlook properly but also my machine has been crappy for a little bit now so it's hardly diagnostic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jaded Burnout posted:

We have a ticket from the police asking for user information for a given IP on a given date. Nobody's working it and I haven't asked why; I'm not working it because snitches get stitches.
Add "legal" to your ticketing system, assign it to them, forget about it. If anyone asks "we forwarded the ticket to legal".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Add "legal" to your ticketing system, assign it to them, forget about it. If anyone asks "we forwarded the ticket to legal".

I think "legal" for us would be the Ministry of Justice, so it's technically them asking. Or are the po-po part of the home office? I don't remember.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh if you're civil service then just pretend you never saw it and wait for the government to collapse.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, that didn't last long; apparently you need a post-secondary degree or diploma to be a tier 1 helldesk jockey

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
To be fair you basically need a master's to be able to get a USB plug to go in on the first try. That or practice witchcraft.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I read somewhere that USB plugs prove the existence of more than 3 dimensions:

You try to plug it in, and it doesn't fit.
Rotate it 180 degrees, it still doesn't fit.
Rotate it 180 degrees, it magically goes into the socket.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The seam on the connector is the bottom of the port, it's not that hard.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Jaded Burnout posted:

When it comes to staffing I've found they mostly care about whether their projects are getting done, so if you overwork yourself to do it they won't act.
Yep. One of my colleagues pointed out, "They won't give us more resources unless we fail. We're professionals so we don't fail. Management smiles and says everything is fine."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

duz posted:

The seam on the connector is the bottom of the port, it's not that hard.

vertical_usb_port.jpg

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PremiumSupport posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHzzy6T9to

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
USB-C is too good for this world.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Yep. One of my colleagues pointed out, "They won't give us more resources unless we fail. We're professionals so we don't fail. Management smiles and says everything is fine."

I've been having the same discussion with my co-workers. We've lost two techs in the past year without hiring any replacements so the rest of us are just doing more work for the same compensation. Whenever they get stressed I remind them that management has no reason to bring on more staff if the existing crew is handling the workload - they don't care that we're working 10 hour days as long as the work gets done (well, I'M not working 10 hour days because gently caress that).

It's only when projects slip and customers start noticing increased response times that the staffing issues will get addressed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

suuma posted:

USB-C is too good for this world.

I can't wait for USB-C to actually become the de facto standard just in time for my phone to start using USB-E.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh if you're civil service then just pretend you never saw it and wait for the government to collapse.

Bingo!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

PremiumSupport posted:

Maybe it was this?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Exodor posted:

I've been having the same discussion with my co-workers. We've lost two techs in the past year without hiring any replacements so the rest of us are just doing more work for the same compensation. Whenever they get stressed I remind them that management has no reason to bring on more staff if the existing crew is handling the workload - they don't care that we're working 10 hour days as long as the work gets done (well, I'M not working 10 hour days because gently caress that).

It's only when projects slip and customers start noticing increased response times that the staffing issues will get addressed.

There is also the possibility for them to say: oh, let's replace them all as they're clearly unable/unwilling to deliver. To which i'd say: good luck with that, as I'd run out of there.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Volguus posted:

There is also the possibility for them to say: oh, let's replace them all as they're clearly unable/unwilling to deliver. To which i'd say: good luck with that, as I'd run out of there.

Yeah I've already got one foot out the door so if they want to give us a shove that will just hasten the inevitable :yotj:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Sheep posted:

To be fair you basically need a master's to be able to get a USB plug to go in on the first try. That or practice witchcraft.

Even robots struggle with this

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A system engineer just manually demoted the domain controller for this building, which is fine because we have lots of other ones.
Except it's not fine because it was handling DHCP for this office and now it's lost it's trust with the domain and he can't sign in and there's no local admin because it's a domain controller and lol everyone is gonna get new leases.
Also not a problem, except that somebody went around and statically assigned ips in the DHCP range a few months ago when we had another DHCP problem and I've never identified all the manually configured computers.

...I guess I'm about to find the rest of them the hard way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

Even robots struggle with this

What is this from? Metal Gear?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Metal Gear Revengeance (or: Raiden Stabs A Whole Fuckload Of People), I believe. One of the better spin-offs.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Yeah, it's Metal Gear Revengeance

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cool. I haven’t played a Metal Gear game since Snake Eater, but something about a little robot with creepy human hands just screams Kojima.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm rubbish at using up my annual leave (UKs name for PTO)

Most companies I'm familiar with let you have a little bit of carry over - I am allowed a max of 5 days, I cant remember a year where I didn't carry over 5 days.

This year I'm carrying 11 days because you are allowed to go over the policy if there is a reason - I was covering vacancies so because they said you can't take leave, you can carry it over - usually you are supposed to use it up in the first 2 months of the leave year, but I still had vacancies so *Shrug*

I am taking time off over Christmas because I need to use it up - due to my girlfriends work I only go home for Christmas for like 3 days so I don't actually need to.

But now I have my helpdesk guy relatively settled in I am trying to be better with it but sometimes I've just gotta be like gently caress this I'm out *mic drop* or I'll never get away...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All of the phone calls came in: I managed to break external SSO :suicide:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

devmd01 posted:

All of the phone calls came in: I managed to break external SSO :suicide:

What did you do to break it?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

I'm rubbish at using up my annual leave (UKs name for PTO)

IIRC a big difference is that a lot of US PTO includes sick days.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Patched the domain controller that has the PDC emulator role and it somehow completely hosed the OS and it’s coming up in safe mode.

ADFS only authenticates to the PDC role.

Triaged for 30 minutes, said gently caress it, and seized the FSMO role.

Guess who gets to rebuild a domain controller today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

devmd01 posted:

Patched the domain controller that has the PDC emulator role and it somehow completely hosed the OS and it’s coming up in safe mode.

ADFS only authenticates to the PDC role.

Triaged for 30 minutes, said gently caress it, and seized the FSMO role.

Guess who gets to rebuild a domain controller today!

Have fun clicking next a lot?