Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
RIP Palm Pre, you terrible device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

have any android oems implemented device encryption in a sensible way yet or does a wipe still require overwriting the entire storage volume?

p sure anything worth buying is encrypted out of the box now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, but i was asking about android devices

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Next you're going to ask us about why Ios is all about that faux leather.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
last i saw they were all bypassing hardware accelerated storage encryption and just implementing whatever in software

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
My cheap Xiaomi Mi A1 says "hardware backed" when I look at the encryption settings, so I'm going to say that they're not all doing that these days.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Pixel is hardware backed as far I know

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

flat earth people claim it's "atmospheric lensing" or that the earth is a segment of a dome

how many flat earthers are genuine and how many are having a laugh

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

and how many having a laugh get irony poisoned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've heard that scammers push it because it's a good signifier that someone is ready for weapons grade bullshit

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

I've heard that scammers push it because it's a good signifier that someone is ready for weapons grade bullshit

same but evangelical christianity

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

so you’re saying the hardware has value?

sure, once you strip it down to its raw materials again

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dodoman posted:

How do they explain flights from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of America?

apparently the flat earth people actually think that the earth is like an old video game where you wraparound to the left side of the screen when you go off of the right

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lambert posted:

My cheap Xiaomi Mi A1 says "hardware backed" when I look at the encryption settings, so I'm going to say that they're not all doing that these days.

guess whats cheaper, actually implementing a driver for the poo poo encryption block on the poo poo soc, or changing the text on the encryption settings

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

i like the "theory" that earth isn't flat, but the parts we know are a small oasis on a large sphere and the rest is covered in snow and ice

i don’t get this one. what’s it trying to explain?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

last i saw they were all bypassing hardware accelerated storage encryption and just implementing whatever in software

which i think is really for the best, neat to have hardware accel i guess, but surely they don't move enough data to be a big enough deal to divide the trust between the hardware and software makers

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

guess whats cheaper, actually implementing a driver for the poo poo encryption block on the poo poo soc, or changing the text on the encryption settings

It's an Android One, unless you think Google is in on the grand conspiracy about hardware-backed encryption. Also, the SoC manufacturer provides the drivers for the SoC.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

graph posted:

and how many having a laugh get irony poisoned

Irony doesn't exist

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wheany posted:

Irony doesn't exist
this but unironically

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

poopsock 2.0

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

why we have a horizon, i guess

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

well, i guess that a flat earth problem is that you aren't that unlikely to end up circumnavigating the world nearish the equator just in normal business travel if you do that sort of thing. you are however unlikely to ever see the south pole unless you set out to do so extremely specifically, so if you want to flatten the world making the south pole ice sheet actually be a very long outer edge (on a slope downwards) with the north pole at the center (as people do end up getting pretty close to it comparably) will agree pretty decently with the perception one gets of geography?

i mean, it is overthinking a bit trying to make sense of what tends to be ideas either stemming from mental illness or ingenuous flights of fancy, but if the earth is to not be a sphere you'd have to lay it out in some way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have an ex who contacts me once every 2-3 months asking me to explain why the earth is definitely round or why man definitely landed on the moon or why evolution is definitely a real thing

idk if she’s trying to not get the conspiracy brokebrains or if it’s just some weird sex thing

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
she’s got a pair of Luna/Terra Ben wa balls popped in

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is not like there is anything strictly definitive about those things, one can't really put odds on the problem of perception. it is the leap to making highly specific definitive statements in another direction that makes it brokebrained

i figure that flat-earth'ism appeals to a lot of people because it offers a touch of post-reality thinking without coming with much baggage in the way of political or other beliefs to adopt. cf. trutherism where it is pretty much built in to speak truth to power and bring down a corrupt government/world elite

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lambert posted:

It's an Android One, unless you think Google is in on the grand conspiracy about hardware-backed encryption. Also, the SoC manufacturer provides the drivers for the SoC.

youre right it would be super surprising if google shipped something broken that sucked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's hardware backed in the sense that it's encryption that runs on hardware

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

El_Elegante posted:

she’s got a pair of Luna/Terra Ben wa balls popped in

Kegel Space Program

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

youre right it would be super surprising if google shipped something broken that sucked

when it comes to shipping broken poo poo apple is no better than google though

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

when it comes to shipping broken poo poo apple is no better than google though

sure and if i hear tomorrow that actually the fde on iphone se can be cracked by a determined seven year old with a paper clip and a multimeter i won't be shocked. just lollin at the idea that some text in a widget signifies more than product decreed the widget shall contain that text

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Kegel Space Program

nice

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Kegel Space Program

hahaha

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Kegel Space Program

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

the flat earth society's zybourne clock explanation of gravity:

quote:

The earth isn't pulled into a sphere because the force known as gravity exists in a greatly diminished form compared to what is commonly taught. The earth is constantly accelerating up at a rate of 32 feet per second squared (or 9.8 meters per second squared). This constant acceleration causes what you think of as gravity. Imagine sitting in a car that never stops speeding up. You will be forever pushed into your seat. The earth works much the same way.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Isn't that precisely Einstein's famous insight about special relativity, that constant acceleration is indistinguishable from gravitational force

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

the flat earth society's zybourne clock explanation of gravity:

wouldn’t earth have to be continuously increasing its acceleration for that to work? I mean, if it was moving upward at a constant rate of 9.8m/s2 then wouldn’t everything else on earth also be moving at that rate and thus not have any “downward” force applied?

sort of like how you only feel the acceleration in a car when it’s increasing, and once it’s constant you don’t notice because everything in the car is also moving at that rate and thus has no velocity relative to the car?

or how everyone taking a ride on those Vomit Comet planes doesn’t get slammed against the back wall of the cabin even though the plane is moving at hundreds of miles per hour?

or how the earth orbits the sun at 67000 mph yet we don’t go flying off because we’re also
moving with it at 67000 mph?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
my son, you are subjected to a constant unchanging force when you stand. that is gravity.

a theoretical system of you standing on a large hemispheric-backed turtle accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2 would provide the same net effect

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i guess i dont understand why its worth trying to interrogate the logic behind an inherently illogical view

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Doc Block posted:

wouldn’t earth have to be continuously increasing its acceleration for that to work? I mean, if it was moving upward at a constant rate of 9.8m/s2 then wouldn’t everything else on earth also be moving at that rate and thus not have any “downward” force applied?

sort of like how you only feel the acceleration in a car when it’s increasing, and once it’s constant you don’t notice because everything in the car is also moving at that rate and thus has no velocity relative to the car?

or how everyone taking a ride on those Vomit Comet planes doesn’t get slammed against the back wall of the cabin even though the plane is moving at hundreds of miles per hour?

or how the earth orbits the sun at 67000 mph yet we don’t go flying off because we’re also
moving with it at 67000 mph?

acceleration and speed are not the same thing. accelerating at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2 is very different from moving upward at a constant rate of 9.8m/s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fun fact: it would take less than a year to reach light speed accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2