Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

By pure coincidence i re-installed this last night, not having touched it since it first came out back in 2014. Excited to try it out when I get some time this weekend.

I've been looking at X4 but it looks a bit unfinished still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
More finished than Shop Citizen~

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Drake_263 posted:

More finished than Shop Citizen~

Not a high bar to clear. And buying in early for the X games tends to be heavily weighted toward the "don't unless you're an absolute diehard of the series" side of things because the devs are more than willing to work and polish the living gently caress out of it after its release. So if you can wait, you usually can grab it cheaper and in a much improved state.

As far as The Big Patch goes, someone here said things stabilized and they were right. Got to do my mat hunting only to realize that it's kinda hard to hunt down High Grade Signal Sources i needed when all the system states were reset to None. Got 30 Core Dynamics Composites for when i need to build up some hull stuff though. Just gotta wait for that BGS tick!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, anyone got any good places to put all this?
It turns out you only really need 2 more bindings. One to switch the HUD mode to disco scanner / surface scanner, and one to enter discovery mode. On my T.16000()0, I had the lowest hat on the throttle set so shift(the pinky button)+up was galaxy map and shift+down was system map, so I made shift+forward enter/exit discovery mode, and shift+back to switch HUD modes.

All the other keys can be exclusive to the surface scan / discovery mode so they can overlap your existing bindings. I have the throttle paddle left/right frequency, then primary fire for zoom and secondary fire for zoom out. Joystick for the axes. The only other one you need is in surface scanning mode the "show other side of planet" one.

As a tip, the new discovery system means you can do Road to Riches again for the surface scanning part. All the planets you want to go to will already be revealed so you can just visit them again with some probes for a second round of cash. I got 2M just for re-scanning an ELW and a TWW. Not very fun but a decent way to make extra cash to get the world's most expensive explorer ship (Krait Phantom). I think 72.44ly/67.62ly is the best you can get, although that's better than my current 61/55ly but I have no guardian FSD.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 12, 2018

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Got my ship back from support after blowing it up by shooting at a station. Thanks for the advice from the end of the last thread.

Frontier Support posted:

Do take care in the future when docking and departing stations

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sintax posted:

Got my ship back from support after blowing it up by shooting at a station. Thanks for the advice from the end of the last thread.
Yeah, the support team is pretty great (unless you're that guy from reddit who's perpetually furious about combat loggers :v:).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone on PS4 figured out some good keybindings? I'm using the touchpad to switch between HUD modes and R1+Triangle for the scanner mode (which feels clunky). More irritatingly I had L1+L2 set to throttle 0% but now that the detailed surface scanner is a hardpoint I keep bringing it up by mistake when I just want to slow down (R1+R2 is also bound so switching to primary won't help).

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Is there any more to the game now for someone who touched it 3 years ago. It felt at the time there was very little to do, just shoot some ships, and zip from one system to another. Is there more game there now?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

Is there any more to the game now for someone who touched it 3 years ago. It felt at the time there was very little to do, just shoot some ships, and zip from one system to another. Is there more game there now?

Funso Banjo posted:

Yes. Download and play it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Debating returning to the bubble for a new ship. Currently on a DBX, wondering if I should go to an AspE or Krait Phantom (I could afford a 'Conda but no).

Yes/no?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So why the hell is the game being an arse about my bindings? I'm trying to get the new toys set up nicely, and everything's fine when I hit 'apply' and go back to the game, but if I want to go back and tweak another binding or set something else up, it forgets everything since the new update. My older custom bindings are still there, but everything done since then gets forgotten every time I go to make a change. So basically, I need to get everything exactly how I want it first time and then never go into my settings again, or resign myself to re-setting every single new bind every time I try to change anything.

And just to add to the frustration, some complete arse on Reddit posted in the daily q&a thread with the same issue, then edited to add a 'nvm, fixed it'. Now I know how it feels to want to choke a stranger over the internet. :argh:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I got this game a long time ago and haven't touched it. I also have a Hotas joystick. What should I do as a new player and is there a typical setup for the joystick that wouldnt be too overwhelming for a newbie?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elderbean posted:

I got this game a long time ago and haven't touched it. I also have a Hotas joystick. What should I do as a new player and is there a typical setup for the joystick that wouldnt be too overwhelming for a newbie?

The more common HOTAS setups have default bindings that are pretty solid out of the box, but you'll probably want to tweak it to your liking. What you can do is this: https://edrefcard.info/ put your bindings file into this and use it as a visual aid until you get the hang of the bindings.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

iospace posted:

The more common HOTAS setups have default bindings that are pretty solid out of the box, but you'll probably want to tweak it to your liking. What you can do is this: https://edrefcard.info/ put your bindings file into this and use it as a visual aid until you get the hang of the bindings.

:monocle: holy poo poo thank you for that binding site! I forgot to back up my config before upgrading my PC and have been dreading setting it all back up again, this will help a ton.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Debating returning to the bubble for a new ship. Currently on a DBX, wondering if I should go to an AspE or Krait Phantom (I could afford a 'Conda but no).
AspE is just like the DBX except like 2 fewer LY max jump range, but does have a fuel scoop size that fills the tank 3x faster than the DBX's largest fuel scoop. The Krait Phantom is 1 LY less, but the same fuel scoop size, and can carry 32T of cargo while outfitted the same as the AspE... but costs almost twice as much fully outfitted.

What is the turn rate in supercruise of the KPhantom? Anaconda-like or DBX-like?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CapnBry posted:

AspE is just like the DBX except like 2 fewer LY max jump range, but does have a fuel scoop size that fills the tank 3x faster than the DBX's largest fuel scoop. The Krait Phantom is 1 LY less, but the same fuel scoop size, and can carry 32T of cargo while outfitted the same as the AspE... but costs almost twice as much fully outfitted.

What is the turn rate in supercruise of the KPhantom? Anaconda-like or DBX-like?

The funny thing is turn rate in SC doesn't matter as much anymore (still helps but it's not as critical), but I am curious as well.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Yes/no?

I have sung the praises of the Krait many, many times, so there's a little bias here, but I would say that the Phantom is a straight upgrade to the DBX. You'll likely lose a few LY if your DBX is already optimized to jump a really long way and do pretty much nothing else, though.

The Phantom has the versatility and redundant slots of an AspX, they're just bigger. It's probably the new premier exploration ship that isn't a Conda.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

iospace posted:

Yes/no?

AspX is basically one of the best medium workhorse ships in the game - it can easily be fit to explore at super-long ranges, almost as long as the DB-X, plus it's capable of carrying a good chunk of cargo and other equipment for a wide variety of roles from smuggling to long-range rare trading, mining, passenger transport.. pretty much the only thing it doesn't do well is combat.

I haven't tried the Krait Phantom myself but from what I've pieced together it's a faster jumpier diet Krait minus the SLF capability and a C3 mount - so essentially, it should fit pretty neatly in progression between the AspX and Python, with nice long-range travel potential.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Wyld Karde posted:

So why the hell is the game being an arse about my bindings? I'm trying to get the new toys set up nicely, and everything's fine when I hit 'apply' and go back to the game, but if I want to go back and tweak another binding or set something else up, it forgets everything since the new update. My older custom bindings are still there, but everything done since then gets forgotten every time I go to make a change. So basically, I need to get everything exactly how I want it first time and then never go into my settings again, or resign myself to re-setting every single new bind every time I try to change anything.

And just to add to the frustration, some complete arse on Reddit posted in the daily q&a thread with the same issue, then edited to add a 'nvm, fixed it'. Now I know how it feels to want to choke a stranger over the internet. :argh:

The 'nvm fixed it' person replied, and so I don't make the same mistake, here's what I was told;

That Reddit Person posted:

I went into the bindings folder in disk C: > users > your PC name > appdata > local > Frontier Developments > Elite Dangerous > options > bindings and opened "custom.3.0.binds" with a notepad, where I changed the "root PresetName" from custom to a name of my choice. Then you choose that preset in-game and the settings should save alright.

Edit: Can confirm this works.

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 12, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

I haven't tried the Krait Phantom myself but from what I've pieced together it's a faster jumpier diet Krait minus the SLF capability and a C3 mount - so essentially, it should fit pretty neatly in progression between the AspX and Python, with nice long-range travel potential.

For explorers, I would say the Krait Phantom is the long missing link between AspX and Anaconda. There's really no reason to use a Python if all you want to do is explore.

Mind you, this shouldn't stop you if you really like a certain ship. I spend multiple years in the black flying around in a Cutter, for example. :v:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I more meant in the multi-purpose ship progression but that's an excellent point!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The mamba is great fun to tear around a res site in.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012
Two weeks ago I finally got around to playing this game after buying it last Christmas, and I've loved every minute. Got Horizons on Sunday. I had no idea there was a new update last night so when I got home half drunk and started trying to scan a system, I was incredibly confused.

Then I saw the new thread and was like, oh okay I'm not losing my mind.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Horizons seems to go on sale regularly so I'll grab it next time that happens.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Horizons seems to go on sale regularly so I'll grab it next time that happens.

Welcome to the club! Soon you'll be spending your whole paycheck on bobbleheads and string lights.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The only thing I want is the ship ID so I can see BOFA-DZ on the side.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm in the same boat. Though really the only real money bits I want is probably a new ship voice, so I can have one without an english accent.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Did they fix the Mamba heat issues? Is it a shield or armor tank?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As a newbie how should I make money and what parts/ships should I save for?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This Fuel Rat rescue is bizarre and hilarious... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UB4bzjO18

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm in the same boat. Though really the only real money bits I want is probably a new ship voice, so I can have one without an english accent.

I made my COVAS Portuguese and it owns so hard.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

The only thing I want is the ship ID so I can see BOFA-DZ on the side.

You say that, but then you accidentally browse over to ship kits, and oh hey that looks awesome, I'll just grab that, oh man that would look so slick with this paint job, just one can't hurt.

Suddenly you've taken out a second mortgage, but your Corvette looks loving pimp.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did they fix the Mamba heat issues? Is it a shield or armor tank?
Flames coming out of the dash were a semi-permanent feature but I was running a comedy 5x beam laser build and boosting constantly, so maybe? :v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How do I join the Diamond Frogs squadron tia

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The Mamba is getting one more balance pass in a week or so. Devs said they didn't have time to fix it completely before release.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Crow posted:

How do I join the Diamond Frogs squadron tia

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is the clipper at all viable for the hardest hasres if you engineer the poo poo out of it? Remember having great fun with it back in Jotunheim

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Elderbean posted:

As a newbie how should I make money and what parts/ships should I save for?

Grab missions until you have a few hundred thousand credits (smuggling missions have good payouts), then you can buy a Cobra Mk III and fit it out however you want!

Exploration still seems to be the easiest money right now: get something with a 30ly range and start scanning!

You could also do trade or combat, passenger missions also make easy money (you need a passenger cabin). Data missions are easy and require nothing but flying from point to point!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So I was perusing the Steam store and I saw Elite: Dangerous was on MEGA SALE. I've been feeling space-sim hunger pangs for a little bit now but I had some questions before I made the jump (I have no experience with the Elite series):
  • A lot of my fondest space-memories were of playing Escape Velocity and its sequels. Does E:D have a similar gameplay flow? (ie: start with a dinky shuttle, do some missions, get a better ship, go be a mercenary, get a better ship, join a faction, get a better ship, etc etc.)
  • How long does that loop take? In EV I could typically expect to be upgrading my ship almost once a session, I suspect E:D is a more intensive sim with much longer turn-around.
  • How much variety is there in terms of ships and loadouts?
  • I understand that E:D has multiplayer, how does that work exactly? Is it a MMO? MMO-lite (like oldschool Guild Wars maybe, instanced everything)? Server-based?
  • What is the endgame goal with ED? Are there things I can aim for on my own or is it some kind of communal thing (do I need to join a guild to engage fully with the game, etc)?
Sorry it's a bit of a long list and I suspect a lot of it will be answered by the forthcoming OP, but I figured I'd ask anyways and see what folks have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Could someone please link one (1) guardian FSD booster guide, combined with a good ship to complete it in (minimal engineering please)? Thanks and gods bless.