Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lurdiak sucks, let's move on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfNW11vcewM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No I don't. :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don’t be a dick pls and people won’t be one back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of Found Footage. Anything good come out in 2018? Outside of like, Unfriended: Dark Web.

I'm pretty behind on the genre these days but if Unfriended counts, so does Searching, which isn't a horror movie, but it still owns. Other than those I'm not sure what we got this year.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of Found Footage. Anything good come out in 2018? Outside of like, Unfriended: Dark Web.

The Devil's Doorway was okay if trite, and I think people liked Hell House LLC 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Suspiria was my first Argento(as I'm sure it is with a lot of people), and that close-up of the heart stabbing is one hell of a tone-setter. I was immediately like ok drat this Argento guy goes places American directors won't.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Lurdiak sucks, let's move on

There’s playful teasing and being a dick. You’re being a dick.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Let's get this bad boy to 2198 pages

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I think people liked Hell House LLC 2.

Swing and a miss there, I heard nothing but bad things from people who were baffled it was made by the same team as the first.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Swing and a miss there, I heard nothing but bad things from people who were baffled it was made by the same team as the first.

Ah, I was just going off what I remembered reading since I didn't like the first one enough to watch the sequel.

Franchescanado posted:

There’s playful teasing and being a dick. You’re being a dick.

My bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm glad we didn't even get to page 3 before someone was a huge rear end in a top hat to me. Keeping the spirit of the horror thread alive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
we still love you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad we didn't even get to page 3 before someone was a huge rear end in a top hat to me. Keeping the spirit of the horror thread alive.

You should try to be a more bland and forgettable poster like me. Nobody ever says I suck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Monster Squad and The Predator I feel like have the same problems where it’s got everything I like in it but never comes together right in the end.

MS is better by a lot but something just isn’t quite there and that kinda sucks for me. I’ve said it before but it feels like half the film simply isn’t there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

You should try to be a more bland and forgettable poster like me. Nobody ever says I suck.

You could also be like me which is this but you once said some not so nice things about certain movies and now people hold it against you lol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watch The Thingy on Amazon, thank you

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ah, I was just going off what I remembered reading since I didn't like the first one enough to watch the sequel.

Hell, same, first one did nothing for me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yet somehow nearly every place I go it has positive reviews. I'm not really sure how that's possible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pomp posted:

Watch The Thingy on Amazon, thank you

Care to make a pitch for it?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

With the sequel, I see what they were attempting to roll with, but good God did they tank it as the film went on. I liked the footage from people seeing the wierd poo poo around the Abbadon, and I didn't think the talk show bits were all that horrible, but the last stretch in the hotel was total crap. It was bad enough to make me go doublecheck that the people behind the first film were involved with this.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I finally saw mother! the other day and I gotta say, anyone who didn’t see that third act theater-walker coming a mile away is a goddamn newb. Great movie, though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

80s Horror Based on Then-Current Trends, Ranked:

Death Spa > The Stuff > Chopping Mall > TerrorVision > The Video Dead > Evilspeak > Trick R Treat > Killer Workout > Video Violence >>>>>> Microwave Massacre

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

TheKingslayer posted:

Gonjiam is basically Korean Grave Encounters.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

80s Horror Based on Then-Current Trends, Ranked:

Death Spa > The Stuff > Chopping Mall > TerrorVision > The Video Dead > Evilspeak > Trick R Treat > Killer Workout > Video Violence >>>>>> Microwave Massacre

Is Videodrome too highbrow for this list or what?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

gently caress, I don't have a brand or anything, do I?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Videodrome too highbrow for this list or what?

That's one way to say it. Another, more accurate way of saying it is that I forgot about it. That says more about me than it does about Videodrome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

All that has to happen now is Jedit taking another tired and passive-aggressive jab at me and it'll be just like the old one!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

All that has to happen now is Jedit taking another tired and passive-aggressive jab at me and it'll be just like the old one!

It's a new thread and a fresh start. Nobody remembers what you were before, now you're Evil Bong guy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress, I don't have a brand or anything, do I?

We all call you Halloween Jerk when you're not looking.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’m the Chandler.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm the guy in the background saying "peas and carrots" over and over again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

I didn't think you were also into sadism and bestiality, but you're flogging a dead horse here.

Anyway: what are people's favourite opening scenes in horror movies? If you don't answer "The Fog" then you're wrong, but all input is welcome!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I just watched Hell House LLC and agree it did not warrant a sequel. They go whole ham and overfocus on scares rhat could benefit from a bit of subtlety and add weird mystery to details that dont benefit from obfuscation. Plus the whole ending sucked.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Jedit posted:

I didn't think you were also into sadism and bestiality, but you're flogging a dead horse here.

Anyway: what are people's favourite opening scenes in horror movies? If you don't answer "The Fog" then you're wrong, but all input is welcome!

I love the opening to Carpenter’s The Thing with the dog being chased across the open arctic. The desolate cinematography and Morricone’s score really set up the tone of the movie from jump street. And it’s such an awesome “what the hell is going on” beginning.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

SMP posted:

suggestion for a future thread title: Bela Lugosi's Thread

God drat I love and appreciate this

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jedit posted:

Without thinking about it.... A Nightmare On Elm Street. But as I sit here I'll probably come up with something I like more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

We all call you Halloween Jerk when you're not looking.
Oh yeah? Well that's just pure ideology, friend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Best opening scene is definitely tougher because horror directors know that if they can grab your attention right away they've got you for the whole movie. There's a ton of good options, very hard to choose a favorite.

One that comes to mind right away is Black Sunday.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Friday the 13th remake has an entire Friday the 13th sequel compressed into its opening. That's hard to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
is Scream too obvious?