Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RCarr posted:

Is RDO worth playing yet? Or should I wait for more content?

Now that I completed the available story missions (can be done in one day) I can play it for about an hour before I get bored and set it aside for a couple days.

Most of that hour is spent riding my horse somewhere.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s free, so no harm in jumping in and seeing what’s up. You’ll very quickly reach a point where you say “is that it?” and the answer is yes though

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Endgame free roam: Was wandering the desert near Tumbleweed and saw a large wooden house in the distance. As I ride in close it blows up. Massive loving explosion. Horse nearly bucks me off she's so startled. No one else around, no corpses in the wreckage. Only searchable item anywhere in the vicinity is a loot box with some revolver ammo in it. Game offers no explanation and John doesn't even bother to mention it in his journal. Just another day in the Old West, I guess!

there's also a crafting recipe for exploding shotgun ammo in the wreckage if you haven't already gotten it elsewhere in the game

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

sirbeefalot posted:

They were brewing moonshine and it blew up, you can see the still in the wreckage. I thought I remembered seeing a toasty corpse as well, might be mistaken though.

That makes sense. I actually saw the still but thought it was a stove or heater or something.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hobo Clown posted:

Has there been any movement on the theory that a remastered RDR1 in RDR2's engine might eventually be added on as DLC? Or is it just assumption and speculation? I figure they kept most of the old map around since it was already designed and it gives you more room to play in RDO, but it still seems like a huge amount of effort if that wasn't an idea at some point. I haven't done the glitch but apparently all of Mexico is also explorable? Not sure what kind of programming reason there is to include an area that big and not allow anyone into it.

RDR2 endgame spoilers: There's also a bunch for you to unlock in New Austin as John that seems weird since there isn't much for you to do as him. Three legendary pelts and at least one revolver I've found. I could see them having all of your outfits and unlocks and stuff carry over into RDR1 if they went that route.

I really hope they do even if it's just a pipedream at this point. I really to play through a version of 1 with all of the new mechanics. Improve on it so it's not as clunky, but I'd definitely like crafting, the expanded camp, hunting, fishing, etc.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RCarr posted:

It's fun if you have a friend or two to team up with.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This new patch has really improved my experience so far. Able to actually do stranger missions, bandits and hideouts on a regular basis, robbing stage coaches etc.

The patch seemed to largely add in a bunch of assets that were previously missing, like more people, a lot more carriages and riders, and boats and trains just moving around. World feels much more alive and like story mode now, and stranger missions paying out 13.25 a pop ain't too shabby.

I think the stranger missions kept bugging out because a lot of them involve stage coaches/other assets that weren't in yet, and the game was trying to load assets that weren't there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RCarr posted:

It's free and fun to play even if you're solo and friendless.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AndyElusive posted:

It's free and fun to play even if you're solo and friendless.

I mean it's free in the sense that if you've already paid at least sixty dollars for the single player game you already have access to it. If you're not playing with other people I don't really see what it offers that single player doesn't other than create-a-character (which for me is admittedly a huge deal, so maybe that's enough for plenty of other folks too).

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

RCarr posted:

nah, u should get a Nintendo

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
And what I mean by this is if you're not already excited about just trying to fish by the seat of your pants while some rear end in a top hat's trying to head shot you with a bolt-action rifle, this may not be the game for you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

However, if you do enjoy harassing strangers for no material gain, or being shot in the head for no reason while trying to get a haircut, then buckle the gently caress up

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Credit sequence so long my controller disconnected

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

History Comes Inside! posted:

Credit sequence so long my controller disconnected

Did you emerge from a cocoon this year and finish your first ever game since the SNES days or something? :haw:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I mean it's free in the sense that if you've already paid at least sixty dollars for the single player game you already have access to it. If you're not playing with other people I don't really see what it offers that single player doesn't other than create-a-character (which for me is admittedly a huge deal, so maybe that's enough for plenty of other folks too).

Ya that's what I mean by free. Other than the MSRP and the cost of console online play we aren't forced to pay extra to romp in the old west.

And mileage may vary in respects to who, why and what anyone would find fun in RDO, but read the above comments about getting brained while having a haircut. If that doesn't get your horse galloping then I dunno what will.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AndyElusive posted:

Ya that's what I mean by free. Other than the MSRP and the cost of console online play we aren't forced to pay extra to romp in the old west.

And mileage may vary in respects to who, why and what anyone would find fun in RDO, but read the above comments about getting brained while having a haircut. If that doesn't get your horse galloping then I dunno what will.

Fun fact: the very first time I got a haircut in Blackwater in RDO, I walked out the door and was immediately headshot by a guy on the horse who had just been sitting there waiting for me. It is what it is and there aren't really any consequences for being killed by another player (except for horse cargo, I don't know if it's a bug or what but I lose all my pelts and carcasses when killed by another player in RDO, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah you respawn very quickly, very close, for free (maybe you lose your health core? Don’t remember), so it’s not the worst thing in the world (compared to, say, getting an $80,000 stolen car wrecked by a bored 8-year old in a fighter jet in gtao) but I still don’t care for it, personally

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Ainsley McTree posted:

However, if you do enjoy harassing strangers for no material gain, or being shot in the head for no reason while trying to get a haircut, then buckle the gently caress up

exactly

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Fun fact: the very first time I got a haircut in Blackwater in RDO, I walked out the door and was immediately headshot by a guy on the horse who had just been sitting there waiting for me. It is what it is and there aren't really any consequences for being killed by another player (except for horse cargo, I don't know if it's a bug or what but I lose all my pelts and carcasses when killed by another player in RDO, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen).

I've had some situations where my pelts seem to dissapear, but I still go to the butcher and they are in there, so idk

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

I've had some situations where my pelts seem to dissapear, but I still go to the butcher and they are in there, so idk

Ya, your horse will quickly eat your pelts and furs after you die and makes sure that they're stored safely in its belly for when you respawn.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Oh word, is that new? Or did we just not notice that we still had the pelts when they disappeared in the first few days there?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Because I can totally see how pelts being or not being visible on your horse are separate from whether or not pelts are actually in your satchel

e: and the reason I suppose that it is possible is because of code, and it being bad

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I wonder how they're gonna up the craziness in RDO to keep people interested. GTAO had helicopters, jets, rocket launchers, motorcycles and all kinds of flashy fast explodey poo poo going on. There's only so much you can do when you're limited to 1899 technology and the only mode of transport is a horse that slows down to a crawl if you don't feed it enough.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
They have already data-mined chuckwagons with Gatling guns, and something called the war wagon as becoming available soon. You have already downloaded them, they are just on a timer ( and will cost all of the gold or the Monies)

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Opinion: a lot will probably have to do with how well their currency sells, and interest in the game come in 2-3 years.

Because even though the story game is pretty tame as far as crazy stuff, I don't think they're afraid to jump the shark if Undead Nightmare and all of the updates to GTA mean anything

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Ultimately, I wish to bomb the poo poo out of you with a hot air balloon

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dragon dlc when

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, lotta you goons apparently hate shooting bad guy cowboys in this cowboy simulator. Ya bunch of Micha's.

Micah loved shooting people though?

That's why I hated the epilogue so much, it was 90% menial tasks, and "Hold left stick to move the plank, then press x to place it". Get out of here with that nonsense, we've done this with John already and it was the worst part of that game too.

screaden fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 12, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Time travel and aliens are already RDR2 cannon

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hugh Malone posted:

Opinion: a lot will probably have to do with how well their currency sells, and interest in the game come in 2-3 years.

Because even though the story game is pretty tame as far as crazy stuff, I don't think they're afraid to jump the shark if Undead Nightmare and all of the updates to GTA mean anything

An undead nightmare event in online for Holloween or something would own

I want the crazyness to go towards a heists direction tbh, like robbing a Steamboat or pulling off a heist of the Lamoyne bank, or raiding Guarma or something, though I don't know how they can square that with the honor system.

I also want them to implement a system where honorable players bounty hunt dishonorable players, because that sounds neat.

I had a wierd random event happen a week ago where I became wanted by an enemy posse for 5 minutes and had to survive; it could be like that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was fending off some bounty hunters and about to finish them off when a dog pulls me around from behind and I get shot in the back and killed. Do the bounty hunters bring dogs or did it just jump in to help randomly?

Also I never even liked playing cards but now I can’t stop playing poker. I’m still only in chapter 3, is there anywhere I can play poker all day? I usually play in camp but it sucks having to rest until anyone’s ready to lose their $1. Valentine is fun for slightly higher stakes but I just started branching out and miss my gang.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Snowy posted:

I was fending off some bounty hunters and about to finish them off when a dog pulls me around from behind and I get shot in the back and killed. Do the bounty hunters bring dogs or did it just jump in to help randomly?

Also I never even liked playing cards but now I can’t stop playing poker. I’m still only in chapter 3, is there anywhere I can play poker all day? I usually play in camp but it sucks having to rest until anyone’s ready to lose their $1. Valentine is fun for slightly higher stakes but I just started branching out and miss my gang.

you'll hate all of the games once you do the gambler challenges. i'm so glad i never have to play blackjack again.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I saw a dude with all-gold shotgun, repeater, and paired pistols. That's like 120 gold... can someone really have poopsocked that much yet?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Snowy posted:

There's poker games at Flatneck Station, Valentine, & St. Denis. St. Denis is the only $5 buy-in. Any of those should reset all of the players and their cash just by moving slightly far away and coming back (even if you murdered everyone)

Bounty Hunters (I think) bring dogs if your bounty is high enough. You get an honor hit for killing them, but if you kill the humans they'll run away if you kick em

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 12, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Snowy posted:

Bounty Hunters will have dogs depending on the region. IIRC they show up more often with dogs in and around St Denis and Annesburg.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Online is lots of fun especially with a friend.

Also do you people realize you can see all the other players on the map? It's really, really easy to not get shot.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Lol if you're not checking your minimap constantly in Online when fishing. Thanks to everyone who recommended hunting the birds north of St Denis, been making some decent cash, the fishing there isn't bad either (unfortunately missed out on the good lures pre-patch but still doing OK with red pickerel).

Also hot take, as a fan of the first game I liked the epilogue and thought it was good??? From people I know irl and what I've read online this is a minority opinion though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Online is lots of fun especially with a friend.

Also do you people realize you can see all the other players on the map? It's really, really easy to not get shot.

I too enjoy playing gorgeous games like RDR2 staring at the minimap constantly.

I definitely don't care about getting shot as much as I did at first because I haven't experienced nearly as much as the griefing I did on day one (people camping quest givers constantly) but I still think PVP should have lock on turned off because it turns what should be fun, rooting tooting gunfights between cowpokes into lovely who can mash LT/RT faster aimbot fests.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s super simple to never get shot, simply spend every moment in-game staring at the map and flee like a gazelle at the first scent of danger, I cannot believe anyone could possibly struggle with this

talktapes posted:

Also hot take, as a fan of the first game I liked the epilogue and thought it was good??? From people I know irl and what I've read online this is a minority opinion though.

I liked it too, but i also like stardew valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
aim assists in multiplayer defeat the entire fun of playing with a controller vs mouse/kb

also mini map blips should be turned off by default unless you are wanted dead or alive. that way you could just blend in with the npcs if you want to get away from or ambush someone but it'd be way easier to monetize that so...