Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

honestly seems pedantic at this point. the econ prize was added on, but is administered by the Nobel foundation. to whatever extent a prize celebrating achievement in physics or chemistry should share a name with a prize for literature or peace, im not seeing how econ should be the pariah

well physics, chemistry, literature, and peace have ostensible social utility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

honestly seems pedantic at this point. the econ prize was added on, but is administered by the Nobel foundation. to whatever extent a prize celebrating achievement in physics or chemistry should share a name with a prize for literature or peace, im not seeing how econ should be the pariah

it is not one of the prizes established by alfred nobel therefore it is not a nobel prize qed

his living descendants also object to their family name being used in this way, that these banks are trading off of the prestige for their own award and that it's against his memory: "Nobel despised people who cared more about profits than society's well-being"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also the swedish science academy or whatever administrates other prizes besides the nobels that are funded from other people's foundations

the banks clearly named their prize to steal legitimacy because it sounds way better than a consortium of banks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Its good actually

diseased mind using a well known alphanumeric for garbage fire

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it is not one of the prizes established by alfred nobel therefore it is not a nobel prize qed

his living descendants also object to their family name being used in this way, that these banks are trading off of the prestige for their own award and that it's against his memory: "Nobel despised people who cared more about profits than society's well-being"

ok but im skeptical that most ppl who rag on the econ prize are whiteknighting the legacy of Alfred Nobel Inventor of Dynamite

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

im here for the folks defending the vision and legacy of alfred nobel lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we must at all costs defend the honor of such nobel laureates as barack obama and henry kissenger

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also the swedish science academy or whatever administrates other prizes besides the nobels that are funded from other people's foundations

the banks clearly named their prize to steal legitimacy because it sounds way better than a consortium of banks

sure but the banks aren't choosing the prize

to be clear, i agree that laureates in physics or chemistry are fast more deserving and that econ is a discipline badly corrupted by rich fuckers pushing an agenda. it's just weird to make it all about The Legacy Of Alfred Nobel who on his death bed made his progeny swear an oath not to allow economics to silly his grand benevolent vision

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
there's no nobel prize in math because nobel's wife cheated on him with a mathematician

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

to be clear, i agree that laureates in physics or chemistry are fast more deserving and that econ is a discipline badly corrupted by rich fuckers pushing an agenda. it's just weird to make it all about The Legacy Of Alfred Nobel who on his death bed made his progeny swear an oath not to allow economics to silly his grand benevolent vision

nah gently caress the banks and their (successful) attempts to legitimize economic ideas preferable to them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_known_as_the_Nobel_of_a_field#Economics

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
pregnant women be eating

why do you think vlassics mascot is a stork?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Behavioral economics is no better than other areas of economics, its issues are just expressed in forms more familiar to pop psych.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

autocorrect typos sillying my post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

physics, chemistry, medicine, literature and the promotion of peace are all obviously beneficial to society as a whole. economics in general, and certainly the type of economics promulgated by the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, benefits a small number of the wealthy while exploiting vastly greater numbers of the poor. it's obviously the pariah.

ok but im skeptical that most ppl who rag on the econ prize are whiteknighting the legacy of Alfred Nobel Inventor of Dynamite

nobel created the prizes in part to repent for his legacy of creating destruction (although dynamite has always been used far more by civilians for mining and construction than by any military)

i believe that, like the real nobel prizes, the candidates for the economics prize are nominated by their peers (*ptui*) and then the organization decides from that list. the economics/finance community as a whole is choosing the winners.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

nobel created the prizes in part to repent for his legacy of creating destruction (although dynamite has always been used far more by civilians for mining and construction than by any military)

wikipedia informs me he owned 70 armament companies, the merchant of death lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i thought he created the prizes because he got a glimpse of what people really thought of him and decided he wanted to be remembered with a little less hostility

hence why he gave all his money to creating a prestigious prize of the arts and sciences, rather than donating it to charity or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some professor down the hall is evangelizing teslas to a bunch of other faculty

i have learned through eavesdropping that the $35,000 tesla is not available, but it will be in february. also you will save $50,000 in gas over ten years so the $60,000 model that he has with "two engines" is the steal of the century.

(you don't have to do the math; that's 33,000 miles a year at 25mpg and california prices)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that's an almost 70 mile drive to work

i think i have a couple coworkers that make that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also there are "no repairs" and no oil changes, which is apparently some huge deal to so many people.

Even around here an oil change cost like 35 bucks and takes 20 minutes, but I guess that's a big deal if you have to do 11 of them a year

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
will the battery make it that long? thise things can’t be cheap.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'd start getting concerned about tires and brakes with a commute like that too that's a shitload of wear

but i'm sure a bazinga like that would handwave away brakes for some regenerative braking

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
at least he's right about teslas being unrepairable

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

at least he's right about teslas being unrepairable

ayy

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

physics, chemistry, medicine, literature and the promotion of peace are all obviously beneficial to society as a whole. economics in general, and certainly the type of economics promulgated by the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, benefits a small number of the wealthy while exploiting vastly greater numbers of the poor. it's obviously the pariah.

i believe that, like the real nobel prizes, the candidates for the economics prize are nominated by their peers (*ptui*) and then the organization decides from that list. the economics/finance community as a whole is choosing the winners.

yea the thing im objecting to is this: if random dead rich white dude alfred nobel had decided 100 years ago that economics was a field worth honoring, then the economics nobel could've been an OG nobel and it would be equally lovely. cf: the peace prize. criticize it based on the underlying problems not some implicit reverence for What Would Alfred Nobel Do?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yea the thing im objecting to is this: if random dead rich white dude alfred nobel had decided 100 years ago that economics was a field worth honoring, then the economics nobel could've been an OG nobel and it would be equally lovely. cf: the peace prize. criticize it based on the underlying problems not some implicit reverence for What Would Alfred Nobel Do?

probably blow it up lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
lets start using dynamite with a remote fuse for the economics nobel ezpz

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dynamite in the medal, fuse in the lanyard?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The legacy of Alfred Nobel is a man who was a horrible capitalist finally realizing that he'd rather see the world improve than be remembered as the guy who helped kill a whole lot of people in pursuit of profit. By now that'd be a goddamn fairytale ending for Musk. It's a legacy worth defending, even if the man himself was not.

Also the reason it's especially funny to dunk on the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences is because it's a bunch of absolute fuckheads seeing something popular and prestigious, and deciding to copy it wholesale, pretending like their prize has the same gravitas as the one given to people who have made the world a better place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the economics prize is inherently a stupid prize and definitely not on the same level of accomplishment as the real prizes, and the fact that it's not authorized by nobel himself makes it even more ridiculous.

let's just pick some laureates from a random year, how about 1986

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1986 was awarded jointly to Stanley Cohen and Rita Levi-Montalcini "for their discoveries of growth factors."

The Nobel Prize in Physics 1986 was divided, one half awarded to Ernst Ruska "for his fundamental work in electron optics, and for the design of the first electron microscope", the other half jointly to Gerd Binnig and Heinrich Rohrer "for their design of the scanning tunneling microscope."

The Nobel Peace Prize 1986 was awarded to Elie Wiesel.

The Nobel Prize in Literature 1986 was awarded to Wole Soyinka "who in a wide cultural perspective and with poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence."

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1986 was awarded jointly to Dudley R. Herschbach, Yuan T. Lee and John C. Polanyi "for their contributions concerning the dynamics of chemical elementary processes."

The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 1986 was awarded to James M. Buchanan Jr. "for his development of the contractual and constitutional bases for the theory of economic and political decision-making."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here is a summary of buchanan's prizewinning theories

quote:

The same principles used to interpret people's decisions in a market setting are applied to voting, lobbying, campaigning, and even candidates. A person's first instinct is to make their decisions based upon their own self-interest. Buchanan explains public choice theory as "politics without romance" because many of the promises made in politics are intended to appear concerned with the interest of others, but in reality are the products of selfish ulterior motives. Political decisions, on both sides of the voting booth, are rarely made with the intention of helping anyone but the one making the decision. Buchanan argues that by analyzing the behaviors of voters and politicians that their actions could become easily predicted.

"what if the free market, but voting???" is clearly as important to humanity as the electron microscope or the discovery of growth factors

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
this is fishmech-tier arguing for a position that's entirely besides my original point

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
eagerly awaiting sagebrush literary analysis of the enduring corpus of wole soyinka

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my favorite soyinka is probably A Quality of Violence but for this thread perhaps i could accept Requiem for a Futurologist

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

econ is made up poo poo to further global capital's mission to end life on earth in pursuit of profits

mystes
May 31, 2006

Obama got the peace prize. Aung San Suu Kyi got the peace prize.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
henry loving kissinger has a nobel peace prize

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

the economics prize is inherently a stupid prize and definitely not on the same level of accomplishment as the real prizes, and the fact that it's not authorized by nobel himself makes it even more ridiculous.

let's just pick some laureates from a random year, how about 1986

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1986 was awarded jointly to Stanley Cohen and Rita Levi-Montalcini "for their discoveries of growth factors."

The Nobel Prize in Physics 1986 was divided, one half awarded to Ernst Ruska "for his fundamental work in electron optics, and for the design of the first electron microscope", the other half jointly to Gerd Binnig and Heinrich Rohrer "for their design of the scanning tunneling microscope."

The Nobel Peace Prize 1986 was awarded to Elie Wiesel.

The Nobel Prize in Literature 1986 was awarded to Wole Soyinka "who in a wide cultural perspective and with poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence."

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1986 was awarded jointly to Dudley R. Herschbach, Yuan T. Lee and John C. Polanyi "for their contributions concerning the dynamics of chemical elementary processes."

The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 1986 was awarded to James M. Buchanan Jr. "for his development of the contractual and constitutional bases for the theory of economic and political decision-making."

one year, they gave the nobel peace prize to henry kissinger

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagebrush posted:

Also there are "no repairs" and no oil changes, which is apparently some huge deal to so many people.

Even around here an oil change cost like 35 bucks and takes 20 minutes, but I guess that's a big deal if you have to do 11 of them a year

it is pretty nice to not have to worry about pretty much all maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
it was a slow year