Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The discussion is that this is how Merk plays scum, like I called it from meta.

When I pointed out he was trying to push the vote onto someone who's flip does nothing for us, he revoted fast enough to give me whiplash. This isn't someone who's playing town from a cool collected standpoint, this is Merk getting some content out before hammer and before anyone has a chance to react he hopes.

He's just trying to save face. I don't know if there's much more I can say beyond that but I'm not scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

merk posted:

If Solus flipped scum right now, I'd definitely be lynched today. I'm defending the move away from Toal onto him today because I feel like that's what scum want. THAT SAID, I do think he's done some scummy stuff.

One way to characterize that is called hedging. Another thing to call that is uncertainty.

Uncertainty would be "I'm not sure what his alignment is". You're doing all of:

- claiming he's doing scummy stuff
- saying you would vote for him
- not voting for him
- going through considerable effort to move the vote onto Toal
- saying you think Solus is the patsy and that the vote for him is wrong

That's not uncertainty, that's a fake opinion.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

jimmydalad posted:

I’m dubious about the power of claiming as a means of confirming identity, especially when it’s only Day 1 and the Doctor and Cop haven’t had a chance to investigate anyone. You only really have someone’s word to go off of since veryone else is either a vanilla townie or scum. Plus, the strength of revealing cop in particular is coming out with people who are safe and revealing yourself on day 1 sort of ruins that plan.

I would unvote Toal if he claimed Cop, even if I thought it was a fakeclaim.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

Uncertainty would be "I'm not sure what his alignment is". You're doing all of:

- claiming he's doing scummy stuff
- saying you would vote for him
- not voting for him
- going through considerable effort to move the vote onto Toal
- saying you think Solus is the patsy and that the vote for him is wrong

That's not uncertainty, that's a fake opinion.

We can agree to disagree. I'm uncertain he's scum, but I'm leaning that way, but it feels too easy like that's where scum want the lynch to go today. Everyone has in their back pocket a 'yeah, Solus is scummy' opinion (except Toal), and I don't like that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

When I pointed out he was trying to push the vote onto someone who's flip does nothing for us, he revoted fast enough to give me whiplash.

Speaking of: What do people think of Humalong? That case has merit. Do people disagree or agree with it?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Murmur Twin posted:

What do you think about Merk?

I feel Merk and Toalpaz' alignments are opposed. They both sound scummy, Toal more than Merk, but if one of them should flip town, I will 100% go for the other being scum, and vice-versa (barring new information in a new day).

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

The discussion is that this is how Merk plays scum, like I called it from meta.

When I pointed out he was trying to push the vote onto someone who's flip does nothing for us, he revoted fast enough to give me whiplash. This isn't someone who's playing town from a cool collected standpoint, this is Merk getting some content out before hammer and before anyone has a chance to react he hopes.

He's just trying to save face. I don't know if there's much more I can say beyond that but I'm not scum.

:hmmyes:

##unvote

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

We can agree to disagree. I'm uncertain he's scum, but I'm leaning that way, but it feels too easy like that's where scum want the lynch to go today. Everyone has in their back pocket a 'yeah, Solus is scummy' opinion (except Toal), and I don't like that.

You say this, but I've been banging the "Solus is scum, we should vote him" drum all game and yet Toal and I have seen far more momentum vote-wise. Agree or disagree?

SolusLunes posted:

I feel Merk and Toalpaz' alignments are opposed. They both sound scummy, Toal more than Merk, but if one of them should flip town, I will 100% go for the other being scum, and vice-versa (barring new information in a new day).

What about Merk sounds scummy to you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

You say this, but I've been banging the "Solus is scum, we should vote him" drum all game and yet Toal and I have seen far more momentum vote-wise. Agree or disagree?

Because there are multiple people who believe that Solus always sounds scum or is too easy of a lynch. He's a newbie. He's an easy lynch.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I think that merk is probably town. I can see where he's coming from that scum would have an easy time pushing the vote. Like I said before, SL could be read as bad or scummy, I read his argument as bad, and the take that scum could be pushing him isn't outlandish.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

What about Merk sounds scummy to you?

You might laugh, but him calling me scum's patsy makes me suspicious of him. I've become significantly more suspicious of people who call me town, since in most games those people end up as scum.

His arguments are sound, I just... don't trust them.

I'd still rather a Toalpaz vote.

I also wonder if you're just tunneling on me because of some OMGUS stuff, and natural tendency. Our arguments would sound like a town slapfight, but I certainly don't trust you either (and would still prefer your lynch over Toalpaz or Merk.)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

SolusLunes posted:

You might laugh, but him calling me scum's patsy makes me suspicious of him. I've become significantly more suspicious of people who call me town, since in most games those people end up as scum.

His arguments are sound, I just... don't trust them.

I'd still rather a Toalpaz vote.

I also wonder if you're just tunneling on me because of some OMGUS stuff, and natural tendency. Our arguments would sound like a town slapfight, but I certainly don't trust you either (and would still prefer your lynch over Toalpaz or Merk.)

It's not OMGUS, you're the only person who's voted/cased me that I'm suspicious of; and I'm not tunnelling you, I'm pushing just as hard for Merk as I am for you.

If you're town and skimming my posts please read: Both Merk and Solus are vaguely claiming to be suspicious of / willing to vote for each other, but both of them are saying that Toal is a better vote. They're scumbros protecting each other and pushing Toal as the patsy.

Ahhh I'm sorry to keep repeating myself but it's driving me crazy that people don't see it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Solus you haven't mentioned me all game apart from the last thirty minutes how could you rather me than merk? And still nod at one of my cases in another post?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Podima posted:

Toal posted unjustified/unsubstantiated guesses as more wet fart manufactured content, Jimmy called them on it, and now Toal is claiming it somehow wasn't hedging? I agree with Jimmy here, this is bad.

##vote toal

I'm also extremely extremely suspicious of this (which was made closer to the start of d1) being one of the votes on Toal. Like I'm hoping that it's just the result of Pod being busy but if any other person dropped a vote and peaced out like this I'd call them scum.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I'm susp of merk but yeah a scum team could really be Solus beet and Pod.

Especially saying either me or Merk are scum... Erg.. That's a chain lynch.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m not gonna lie, I’m weaning off of a Toalpaz lynch. Their recent posts are swaying me over and I’m finding myself compelled towards Merk. The sudden vote swing between Humalong, who was probably never going to get lynched, and then back onto Toalpaz is still bugging me. I’m conflicted between like Merk, Toal and potentially Solus. I’d definitely also be up for a vote on TM and BK cause they haven’t voiced any opinions for some time, but I don’t think either vote is going to happen anytime soon and there’s probably better targets to lynch where we would get more information.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm also extremely extremely suspicious of this (which was made closer to the start of d1) being one of the votes on Toal. Like I'm hoping that it's just the result of Pod being busy but if any other person dropped a vote and peaced out like this I'd call them scum.

Really? That's in the context of other posts about Toal, iirc. It's not as bad as you're making it look, though his absence isn't great

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

jimmydalad posted:

I’m not gonna lie, I’m weaning off of a Toalpaz lynch. Their recent posts are swaying me over and I’m finding myself compelled towards Merk. The sudden vote swing between Humalong, who was probably never going to get lynched, and then back onto Toalpaz is still bugging me. I’m conflicted between like Merk, Toal and potentially Solus. I’d definitely also be up for a vote on TM and BK cause they haven’t voiced any opinions for some time, but I don’t think either vote is going to happen anytime soon and there’s probably better targets to lynch where we would get more information.

Give Humalong a read and let me know what you think.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

Solus you haven't mentioned me all game apart from the last thirty minutes how could you rather me than merk? And still nod at one of my cases in another post?

Tell you what. I'll decide to trust you today, and I'll go from there.

##vote Merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I intend to go out and find some food here shortly, so I will be on a phone starting soon.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

Having a member of the scum team be top poster is a very good strategy.

See: every scumbeet game

except my last. which is my shame.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

scumbeet posts a lot less than usual, even he fears contradiction and struggles to participate.

that was just one game. mostly i post up a poo poo storm still. it's easy!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

Should be noted merk ridiculed FL’s vote, then quoted two of my posts and manufactured a case off of those two posts

That has to seem weird to anyone else besides jimmy and me

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

jimmydalad posted:

High post count does not necessarily equal town.

As for scumbeet, I thought he has a hard posting a lot as scum? Like one of the reason I have a town read on Beet this game is that he’s shitposting quite a lot which is a typical Town Beet thing to do.

jimmy still right as always

(postcount ++)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Flying Leatherman posted:

Really? That's in the context of other posts about Toal, iirc. It's not as bad as you're making it look, though his absence isn't great

The point I'm making is that I think Toal is the patsy, and that I really don't like that one of the votes on them came from that early in the game when there's since been lots of content.

I'm a huge fan of Pod, but the fact remains that he dropped a vote on Toal and then essentially peaced out. I'm sure he'd be casing me for the exact same thing if the roles were reversed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Humalong posted:

Should be noted merk ridiculed FL’s vote, then quoted two of my posts and manufactured a case off of those two posts

That has to seem weird to anyone else besides jimmy and me

I thought the vote was ridiculous given the timing, but then I went and read some things on you that I really don't like.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

hambeet posted:

except my last. which is my shame.

In your defense, a whole day happened when you were asleep.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

hambeet posted:

jimmy still right as always

(postcount ++)

This is at direct odds with other things you've literally just said, you know exactly what I'm talking about

you still post a bunch as scum

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

I think it's too bad Pod isn't here to read the last 4 hours of posts. I guess he's happy with the state of the game.

MMT, Merk, Hambeet.

I think that's scum team, I've come around on Jimmy tbh in the past several hours, but I do think that he's been framing my posts in an unsavoury way.

you've got a thing for 'm's

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

This is at direct odds with other things you've literally just said, you know exactly what I'm talking about

gently caress me I'm an idiot, I can't even remember what game thread I'm posting in

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

merk posted:

Humalong has less of a chance of getting lynched today than MMT, FL (and I said MMT was <0%). At least vote MMT if you're going to leave the thread for the rest of the night. She has 2 votes right now.

merk posted:

OK I WILL READ HUMALONG

PLEASE WAIT A MINUTE BEFORE LEAVING FL

merk posted:

##vote Humalong

What a whirlwind

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

merk (3): Toalpaz, Murmur Twin, SolusLunes
Toalpaz (3): Mr. Humalong, merk, Podima, jimmydalad, hambeet, merk, merk, SolusLunes, jimmydalad, Mr. Humalong, SolusLunes
Mr. Humalong (1): Kashuno, BottleKnight, Flying Leatherman, Flying Leatherman, BottleKnight, Kashuno, Flying Leatherman, Flying Leatherman, Flying Leatherman, merk, merk
Tired Moritz (1): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, BottleKnight
SolusLunes (1): Murmur Twin, Kashuno, Murmur Twin
Podima (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Flying Leatherman (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Tired Moritz, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Tired Moritz
hambeet (0): merk, merk
Anomalous Amalgam (0): hambeet, hambeet
BottleKnight (0): Podima, Podima
Murmur Twin (0): Flying Leatherman, Anomalous Amalgam, Toalpaz, hambeet, SolusLunes, Toalpaz, Toalpaz, Anomalous Amalgam, Flying Leatherman, hambeet, Toalpaz, SolusLunes

Not Voting (4): Anomalous Amalgam, jimmydalad, Mr. Humalong, Tired Moritz

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is December 12th, 2018 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 hours, 13 minutes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SolusLunes posted:

him saying i'm town i agreed with. the first part nope

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Humalong posted:

What a whirlwind

Why did you conveniently leave off the justification for the vote on you?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

We will be doing a c/9 variation for this game. Expect 2-3 scum and 1-2 cops/docs. Otherwise, people will be Vanilla town, the greatest role in mafia after Bus Driver.

fuuuuuuuu i just saw this :argh:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

merk posted:

Why did you conveniently leave off the justification for the vote on you?

I mean they can click through. You went from “what a terrible vote” to “yeah I’m good with this” in the span of 4 minutes so it’s not like they have to go digging.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

merk posted:

My dinner just got canceled because my client's kid is sick. Is my client lying to me to get out of this dinner? What should I eat instead?

that's my go to excuse when i cant be hosed doing something 'oh my kid is sick'

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

And then jumped back on to Toal like 5 minutes after that lol

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You are purposely ignoring the context that I said it was a terrible vote solely due to timing and then voted you due to content. That's pretty scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

hambeet posted:

that's my go to excuse when i cant be hosed doing something 'oh my kid is sick'

:( I'm walking to a restaurant now to eat by myself like a true road warrior.