Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I played around with the MacBooks at the store today and now I’m depressed

they’re all just so terrible now :smith:

they still had an old MacBook Air on display as a reminder they once knew how to make computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FMguru posted:

apple cares about privacy because they figure it will be a key point of differentiation between themselves and android, especially as they become heavily involved in medical devices

nah it's because all their attempts to monetize user data are gigantic failures and pivoting to respecting user privacy is a good way to spin that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Doc Block posted:

or how the earth orbits the sun at 67000 mph yet we don’t go flying off because we’re also
moving with it at 67000 mph?

there's a lot of fringe gravity theories like this and none of them account for orbital mechanics

zillions of pound-of-feathers-in-vacuum straight down examples tho

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Endless Mike posted:

fun fact: it would take less than a year to reach light speed accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2

this fact is so fun I’m bringing it to the next page

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

the talent deficit posted:

nah it's because all their attempts to monetize user data are gigantic failures and pivoting to respecting user privacy is a good way to spin that

Please add me on Ping

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

qirex posted:

the vinyl buying trend is hilarious, though, ~50% of record buyers never actually play them. it's like a $20 mini-poster for a band you like

i love it when tech bros complain about other people's purchasing habits

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lambert posted:

Please add me on Ping

If they bought Last.fm and used that with Ping, I would have loved it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Kegel Space Program

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

today i discovered that if you have optimise storage enabled for icloud drive and then fill up icloud drive then mac will barely sync anything even into an almost empty drive. thankfulyl disabling that forced full download of icloud

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

today i discovered that if you have optimise storage enabled for icloud drive and then fill up icloud drive then mac will barely sync anything even into an almost empty drive. thankfulyl disabling that forced full download of icloud

iclown, lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

make sure those files are backed up elsewhere though, because icloud is a joke

there's a reason they had to keep renaming it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the mobileme incident is one of my fave stebe anecdotes

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Lambert posted:

Please add me on Ping

why are the traffic light buttons oriented vertically? there’s something about that feels v. wrong

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

why are the traffic light buttons oriented vertically? there’s something about that feels v. wrong

bc unlike most mac apps there are a bunch of controls in the title bar area and the vertical arrangement is the most efficient use of space

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Generic Monk posted:

god that was so dumb

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

itunes has always has a custom bespoke interface that breaks the pattern set by every other application

it also has a bunch of unnecessarily modal dialogs and settings screens that block the rest of the interface for no reason (or at least it used to, but i'd be surprised if they fixed that)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh, you're importing a CD? how about I ask you what quality you want it at like I have for the last 500 CDs

also updating album art hard locks the program until it's done

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
itunes is poo poo software, has always been poo poo software, and will always be poo poo software

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah but all software is poo poo software

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

akadajet posted:

yeah but all software is poo poo software

you know, this doesn't have to be the case, but you're a javascript programmer so i can see why you'd think it's universally true

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you know, this doesn't have to be the case, but you're a javascript programmer so i can see why you'd think it's universally true

look everybody this guy thinks he writes good code

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

itunes blocks the main thread pretty often. i can't stand it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

itunes has always has a custom bespoke interface that breaks the pattern set by every other application

itunes is to apple as office is to microsoft

youd think more effort would be applied to prominent projects like that

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Raluek posted:

cant make broken poo poo work better by pushing harder on it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
back in like 2000 before the itunes store and w/e deals apple did with the RIAA, itunes on the mac was pretty awesome. once they started with the DRM and all everything went to hell and has never recovered. so yeah, a lot of the reason itunes is hosed is probably from too much effort from the wrong people being applied.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

cant make broken poo poo work better by pushing harder on it

he said, as he left the bathroom still constipated

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the design of the iphone is so loving bad they had to do a software hack to prevent you from constantly taking screenshots.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Raluek posted:

office matches windows way more than itunes matches os x

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

he said, as he left the bathroom still constipated

nope my problem is uncontrollable copious posting

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

nope my problem is uncontrollable copious posting
using that keurig too much i see

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Raluek posted:

itunes is nowhere near as crucial to apple's profitability as office is to microsoft's, timb could ditch the few edgecase nerds like me still using itunes to manage local music, have idevices sync in finder and introduce some thin frontend for apple music and itd be totally fine. if microsoft blew up office theyd be hosed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not nearly as hosed as if apple hosed up the iphone of course, not being diversified at all does make for a lot of products you can let languish without real impact

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

have idevices sync in finder

apple tried this already, here's what you can expect

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not nearly as hosed as if apple hosed up the iphone of course, not being diversified at all does make for a lot of products you can let languish without real impact

how's that mac pro working out, tim?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Whoa, the T68i. This is giving me flashbacks to browsing WAP sites on my phone and cell providers trying to establish i-mode in the west.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 13, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ROKR me daddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jk that poo poo was so bad

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple tried this already, here's what you can expect

I would take this if it meant that I didn't have to unplug/plug in my phone because "connection reset", "couldn't find iPhone", or just it hanging on occasion during the sync process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh, you don't have to sync the iphone with a cable anymore.