Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
My HOTAS.4 decided to stop functioning in game. I can access and use the start menu and stuff but as soon as I try to do anything in the cockpit I can’t. I did my normal start up procedure and know to start the game with the stick, so I’m just kinda confused now. Anyone ever experience this?

I’m not even really sure how to reset the default controls but I hadn’t changed any bindings, so I don’t know why that would be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

OP, pls put this in the OP

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

nessin posted:

I just found out there is going to be a new Distant Stars run. Always kind of regretted not going on the first one so I think I'm going to take my Christmas break opportunity to build up a real exploration ship, versus my cheapo hacked together one I used to have. Last time I played was just shortly after the Horizon's release and that wasn't for very long. Are there any critical grinds I need to accomplish beyond just cash for an exploration ship with high grade gear and a rover slot?

I’m real excited for this too, I’ve been to Sag A* twice but still haven’t made it to Beagle Point. I’m gonna load up my ‘Conda and be a fuel/repair bitch. Just working on engineering a few more things for range and gathering materials for whatever I might need to synthesize during the trip.

For anyone else interested, general info and signup is here: https://dw2expedition.wixsite.com/home/info-index

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Blimpkin posted:

My HOTAS.4 decided to stop functioning in game. I can access and use the start menu and stuff but as soon as I try to do anything in the cockpit I can’t. I did my normal start up procedure and know to start the game with the stick, so I’m just kinda confused now. Anyone ever experience this?

I’m not even really sure how to reset the default controls but I hadn’t changed any bindings, so I don’t know why that would be the case.
I had an issue today where my controls just stopped working once I dropped into a RES site. It was incredibly weird because when I opened the menu with escape, the ship started moving based on the throttle's position but as soon as I resumed the game it would throttle back to zero until I opened the menu again. :confused:

Relogging fixed that for me but I'd guess you've already tried that.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

So I was perusing the Steam store and I saw Elite: Dangerous was on MEGA SALE. I've been feeling space-sim hunger pangs for a little bit now but I had some questions before I made the jump (I have no experience with the Elite series):
  • A lot of my fondest space-memories were of playing Escape Velocity and its sequels. Does E:D have a similar gameplay flow? (ie: start with a dinky shuttle, do some missions, get a better ship, go be a mercenary, get a better ship, join a faction, get a better ship, etc etc.)
  • How long does that loop take? In EV I could typically expect to be upgrading my ship almost once a session, I suspect E:D is a more intensive sim with much longer turn-around.
  • How much variety is there in terms of ships and loadouts?
  • I understand that E:D has multiplayer, how does that work exactly? Is it a MMO? MMO-lite (like oldschool Guild Wars maybe, instanced everything)? Server-based?
  • What is the endgame goal with ED? Are there things I can aim for on my own or is it some kind of communal thing (do I need to join a guild to engage fully with the game, etc)?
Sorry it's a bit of a long list and I suspect a lot of it will be answered by the forthcoming OP, but I figured I'd ask anyways and see what folks have to say.

If you liked Escape Velocity, you'll definitely wanna try Elite Dangerous.

EV had better story missions, but if you wanna have fun flying a space ship, this is whats up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Helianthus Annuus posted:

EV had better story missions, but if you wanna have fun flying a space ship, this is whats up.

Yeah, E:D has no story missions whatsoever. It's all missions that you used to get at the mission board in EV, instead of anything in the bar that has longer term consequences. But if you loved flying around and trading and shooting stuff, that's exactly what this is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just found a planet that is in such a fast orbit that I could see it moving against the stars behind it as I tried to map it. i whipped out my calculator and it's moving at a speed of 94.6 km per second. Just as a check if I move at the minimum supercruise speed the time to arrival keeps going up :eyepop:

edit: The first planet in the system is moving at 105 km/sec but I somehow didn't notice that when I mapped it

edit 2: I am going to go see if the planet can crash into me if I sit in its orbit

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 13, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Which planet is it that moves so fast the sun rises and sets like twice in 30 minutes? It took some extremely Malay supercruise moves to land on that thing without straight colliding.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lame, when it got within 8.84 million meters of me my ship started moving at 0 m/s relative to it rather than the sun.

edit: no poo poo if I could have gotten a planet to crash into me at 105 km/s I would have gladly eaten the ship rebuy fee (though it's a Diamondback Explorer so not really breaking the bank there)

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 13, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

iospace posted:

In order:
1. Yes, but that dinky shuttle can also be used to get you triple Elite if you really want to. It's a solid starting ship, and you can get the same ship for free forever.
2. Depends on how hard you go on it. Courier missions are cargoless and can be done quickly. There's also the Road to Riches, but now it's a bit more dicey due to new mechanics in populated space.
3. Lots. You can take most ships and outfit them for at least two different roles if you want (key word: most). The hauler is a good starting trading ship, but can also be a cheap exploration ship as well.
4. More MMO-lite than anything. Squadrons now help keep things interesting as you get to chat with others no matter where you are in the deep black.
5. Whatever you make it. Also join Diamond Frogs (link is above).

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, E:D has no story missions whatsoever. It's all missions that you used to get at the mission board in EV, instead of anything in the bar that has longer term consequences. But if you loved flying around and trading and shooting stuff, that's exactly what this is.
Awesome, thanks. I'll pick it up and derp around a bit, I'm fairly free through the holidays so it should be a good time to sink my teeth into something more meaty like this. Is there a good beginner guide floating around somewhere or is the game approachable enough to just dive in?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As I understand it, the new scanning functions are built into the ships now? So what happened with everyone’s 1.5 mil credit advanced discovery scanner and the surface scanner? Are they gone gone gone, whoah oh ooh oh ohhh?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleMaster posted:

I just found a planet that is in such a fast orbit that I could see it moving against the stars behind it as I tried to map it. i whipped out my calculator and it's moving at a speed of 94.6 km per second. Just as a check if I move at the minimum supercruise speed the time to arrival keeps going up :eyepop:

edit: The first planet in the system is moving at 105 km/sec but I somehow didn't notice that when I mapped it

edit 2: I am going to go see if the planet can crash into me if I sit in its orbit

look up Mitterand Hollow

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Seems like their registration server is dead at the moment. I guess space trucking will have to wait for later.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

chaosapiant posted:

As I understand it, the new scanning functions are built into the ships now? So what happened with everyone’s 1.5 mil credit advanced discovery scanner and the surface scanner? Are they gone gone gone, whoah oh ooh oh ohhh?
They've all been refunded

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

look up Mitterand Hollow

876 km/sec but it's wasted if I can't have it demolish me at that speed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chaosapiant posted:

Disco scanner is gone and baked in. Surface scanner is still around.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dumb question, but any reason I shouldn't get the Commander Deluxe Edition if I was planning on getting Base + Horizons? Price difference is less than a cent.

quote:

Buy Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition
Includes 3 items: Elite Dangerous, Elite Dangerous: Commander Pack, Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass

/edit: oh, it's just paintjobs? No wonder reviews are Mostly Negative :v:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleMaster posted:

876 km/sec but it's wasted if I can't have it demolish me at that speed

Get out of that Newtonian mindset, kiddo. We're in bat country.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

Awesome, thanks. I'll pick it up and derp around a bit, I'm fairly free through the holidays so it should be a good time to sink my teeth into something more meaty like this. Is there a good beginner guide floating around somewhere or is the game approachable enough to just dive in?

I wouldn't call the game approachable lol. Plenty has been written about the game, but those guides go out of date pretty quickly. When researching stuff about Elite Dangerous it helps to use the date filter in google's search.

There's a bunch of in game training scenarios. The first thing you should do is get into those and make sure you can point the ship and move around OK, dock with a station, drive a moon buggy, etc. I think everyone has slightly different binds in Elite, unless you're using an xbox controller or a ps4. You can and should change your binds during the training missions if the default controls don't feel right to you.

The in game training used to be bad, but its fully voice-acted and everything now. Lots of detailed instructions on what to do next, etc. I don't know how new it is, but they've really done a good job with it.

In the Docking and Travel training, you might try using the new FSS that was introduced in this update. Try it out after you get to supercruise. I don't think they updated the training missions to include detailed instructions on how to use it, so check your binds for how to start it up. It's under Options -> Controls -> Full Spectrum System Scanner -> Enter FSS Mode. There's an in game tutorial on how to use it, or you could look it up. The FSS is probably my favorite new feature in the update.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Argh I can't do their dumb bullshit and activate Horizons. I just wanna go get a Krait :arghfist::saddowns:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

I wouldn't call the game approachable lol. Plenty has been written about the game, but those guides go out of date pretty quickly. When researching stuff about Elite Dangerous it helps to use the date filter in google's search.

There's a bunch of in game training scenarios. The first thing you should do is get into those and make sure you can point the ship and move around OK, dock with a station, drive a moon buggy, etc. I think everyone has slightly different binds in Elite, unless you're using an xbox controller or a ps4. You can and should change your binds during the training missions if the default controls don't feel right to you.

The in game training used to be bad, but its fully voice-acted and everything now. Lots of detailed instructions on what to do next, etc. I don't know how new it is, but they've really done a good job with it.

In the Docking and Travel training, you might try using the new FSS that was introduced in this update. Try it out after you get to supercruise. I don't think they updated the training missions to include detailed instructions on how to use it, so check your binds for how to start it up. It's under Options -> Controls -> Full Spectrum System Scanner -> Enter FSS Mode. There's an in game tutorial on how to use it, or you could look it up. The FSS is probably my favorite new feature in the update.

Yeah, I caught on to the fact that updates have made a lot of things obsolete. Alright, once it's installed I'll fire it up and check out those training missions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Put in op please:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

Which of the two Kraits is the one that's supposed to be "less noticeable" or whatever the phrasing was? I wanna kind of plan my shopping ahead of time for whenever I get Horizons.

I know they said that about the krait mkII, not sure about the phantom though

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
can this be in the op

https://i.imgur.com/84ksRv4.gifv

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Can my favorite thing be in the OP? Yes. Yes it can.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, a day after I was talking up how great Elite was in the VR thread I run into a bug where I can no longer start it in VR.

Also, that edrefcard.info site was working fine this morning when I tried, but this evening when I went to map everything it's throwing up an unknown controller error. Oh well, guess I'll wait a few days for things to settle down.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, a day after I was talking up how great Elite was in the VR thread I run into a bug where I can no longer start it in VR.

Also, that edrefcard.info site was working fine this morning when I tried, but this evening when I went to map everything it's throwing up an unknown controller error. Oh well, guess I'll wait a few days for things to settle down.

might as well hit up support while you wait, maybe you're overlooking a quick fix in the raw XML like changing the device name listed in there to a known-good one from another file

e:nvm im probably confused about where that error is coming from

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 13, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got the vanilla game on sale a while ago for PS4, hoping it would be a modern Privateer.
It is not a modern Privateer. And holy hell it isn't designed for a controller. I've been trying to get into it but they make everything so tedious and there's so little automation. I get that it's an old school type game, but little stuff like having to manually stow your hardpoints every time you want to go somewhere, like come on. There's just way too much of that. It's probably a lot easier to deal with on a keyboard, but it's painful on a controller. I guess I didn't realize what kind of game it is, and the sales pitch and pretty graphics certainly didn't highlight it. Ah well, I'll play it a little more at some point to see if I can get something out of it, but it's not a game I'd recommend on console.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i've tried it on an xbox controller, and its bad.

probably ok for space trucking, but i wouldnt be doing any fighting with the controller

im sure you can get used to it, but....

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Rah! posted:

I know they said that about the krait mkII, not sure about the phantom though

Good enough. MKII it is... whenever they unfuck their poo poo so I can actually activate Horizons anyway :argh:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I play on an Xbox controller, including PvE combat...

It took a few rebinds with some creative thinking (using button combinations rather than those given by the defaults), but it works.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

might as well hit up support while you wait, maybe you're overlooking a quick fix in the raw XML like changing the device name listed in there to a known-good one from another file

e:nvm im probably confused about where that error is coming from

Yeah it looks like a lot of people are running into that error on the edrefcard site now, something on the backend I guess. I can still map controls in game, that just made it so much easier to visualize and keep track of stuff and I'm lazy.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I play on an Xbox controller, including PvE combat...

It took a few rebinds with some creative thinking (using button combinations rather than those given by the defaults), but it works.

sounds cool, post you're binds?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would switch it up depending on my build (chaff vs SCBs), but the basic gist was to use B as a meta key instead of boost. B+right shoulder was boost instead.

edit: That's harder to do with the new FSS exploration binds, but if you're doing combat poo poo you can ignore it anyway...

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 13, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just wandering around looking for a good place to wake scan, and found this monster. It's like 4km long.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This needs to be in OP as well, for the new people learning how to land:

https://youtu.be/_OVPOV-aSsg

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So now that they've changed how discovery works, what does honking the scanner do?

It looks like my solar system map is already complete when I enter the system and honking the scanner doesn't seem to do anything.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This needs to be in OP as well, for the new people learning how to land:

https://youtu.be/_OVPOV-aSsg

Pro level tutorial this.

I thought the PS4 controls were a bit tricky at first but it didn't take too long to learn them. It helps that if you hold the button in it gives you the key for all the different toggle choices.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Friendship drive charging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

So now that they've changed how discovery works, what does honking the scanner do?

It looks like my solar system map is already complete when I enter the system and honking the scanner doesn't seem to do anything.

Same thing it did before, assuming you aren't in a populated system? If you're in the black it populates the FSS with signals to lock on to.