Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Choco1980 posted:

Good opening scenes in horror? Dead Alive's opening is pretty amazing.

Zingaya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Grant DaNasty posted:

I’ve been considering getting a fiberglass replica Jason Voorhees hockey mask, but I’m not sure which Friday the 13th movie version to get.

Part 4 is iconic because of the cover art with the knife going though it, but part 8 is more wide, yellow, and has metal straps that makes it look cooler.

The best mask I think is this one.

I like the red "arrows".

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The true best mask is the NES Jason mask.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have the Neca one from the remake. It’s ok. Kinda flimsy and is about to snap in half lol.

Their Freddy glove is neat but hard to wear due to a weird finger placement.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CelticPredator posted:

I have the Neca one from the remake. It’s ok. Kinda flimsy and is about to snap in half lol.

Their Freddy glove is neat but hard to wear due to a weird finger placement.

Weird, my Neca mask is heavy as gently caress and the cheap elastic straps barely hold it on your head. It's neat though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys and your prefabbed NECA masks, get on my level :v:

Cost me about $12 in materials to make, and I really want to make some more some time because it's so much fun. Maybe one for each movie.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Jedit posted:

I didn't think you were also into sadism and bestiality, but you're flogging a dead horse here.

Anyway: what are people's favourite opening scenes in horror movies? If you don't answer "The Fog" then you're wrong, but all input is welcome!

Detention has an opening so good the whole rest of the movie feels like it's just trying to live up to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
Yeah, the opening is so good it almost ends up being a weakness.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King of Bleh posted:

Detention has an opening so good the whole rest of the movie feels like it's just trying to live up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq1PhGQtFoM

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

King Vidiot posted:

You guys and your prefabbed NECA masks, get on my level :v:

Is that the evil Insidious ladyman on the left?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I'll enter into an accord with you that furthers both of our individual goals:

From this point forward I will always refer to the xenomorph's inner mouth as a Tim

IF

You help me by always referring to the main zombie in Return of the Living Dead as Juicy Zombie. JZ for short is also ok.

I stand with JZ.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

T Bowl posted:

Is that the evil Insidious ladyman on the left?

It's Angela from Night of the Demons, c'mon son!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

King Vidiot posted:

It's Angela from Night of the Demons, c'mon son!

I've only seen that movie once, but it does look like the Insidious ghosts a bit too. Anyway, nice.

I want to buy the Father's Day zombie from Creepshow some guy personally made, he calls his company Monstarz

IT'S TATHERS DAY

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

T Bowl posted:

I've only seen that movie once, but it does look like the Insidious ghosts a bit too. Anyway, nice.

I want to buy the Father's Day zombie from Creepshow some guy personally made, he calls his company Monstarz

IT'S TATHERS DAY

I very much want this now as well. drat that's cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

This makes me want a super cut of the one great scene from sucky horror movies.

What else you got in mind?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Untrustable posted:

I very much want this now as well. drat that's cool.

Yeah, the only thing holding me back is it's real small.. 3.75 inches (9.5cm). Same as a GI Joe.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I watched The Endless the other day on a Netflix whim and I think it’s my favorite horror I’ve seen this year that wasn’t called Mandy or Hereditary (never mind that I’m still trying to decide if I actually liked Hereditary despite the trauma or if I just respect it).

Anyway, The Endless owns. I don’t want to say too much about it since it’s probably best to go into it blind, but one thing is for sure and that is that it’s proof that you don’t need a huge budget for big ideas to work.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, the only thing holding me back is it's real small.. 3.75 inches (9.5cm). Same as a GI Joe.

Oh. That really does ruin it for me. I think my next horror poster for my living room will be Creepshow though. It's time to rotate out the videogame posters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Peter Jackson is going to remaster his first four movies using the restoration technique used on the World War 1 footage for They Shall Not Grow Old. That includes Bad Taste and Braindead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get on my level

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

Peter Jackson is going to remaster his first four movies using the restoration technique used on the World War 1 footage for They Shall Not Grow Old. That includes Bad Taste and Braindead.

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 13, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jedit posted:

Hell yeah

Looking it up the movie he did before Fellowship of the Ring is The Frighteners, and like...what the gently caress.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Get on my level

drat... nice. Keep doing these!

I especially like the interesting... food? "Eat of this Freddy puppet, for it is my body."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

sorry for doublepost but i crowdfunded 31 bc im a huge fan of RZ as a musician and filmmaker but the MPAA just tore that movie to shreds

So this is all your fault

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

CelticPredator posted:

Get on my level

Nice. I like your photos. Post more.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait a minute...how old are you? :stare:

Don’t worry, I’m older than I look ;-*

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll have to check out Shin Godzilla, but most other Godzilla titles are action comedies as if Jackie Chan was in that suit.

Shin Godzilla is pretty funny, but most of the jokes are leveled at the bureaucracy and inefficiency of the government during a true emergency. The Godzilla scenes themselves are devastating but extremely badass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is one very effective scare during the horror movie portion of Gymkata.

Jedit posted:

And Heavenly Creatures! I haven’t seen that movie in forever!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

And Heavenly Creatures! I haven’t seen that movie in forever!

Heavenly Creatures is what they say "won" him LotR, but I have a strong suspicion that Dead Alive's party scenes--with the large amount of special effects, choreography, stunts, and sheer amount of zombies--is what secretly convinced the suits to give him LotR. It's easy to look at those scenes and say "Oh yeah, they guy could totally pull off large battles with orcs and elves and poo poo."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
I still haven't seen Heavenly Creatures. I suspect his work on The Frighteners played a role in getting him LotR as well. That was a good movie, though very different from what I suspected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think Jackson's entire body of work played a part in convincing the studio to trust him. If he'd never branched out from splatter horror films, no I don't think they'd have taken him seriously. If he'd only done low budget art films like Heavenly Creatures, no I don't think they'd have thought he was capable of handling the big budget. But he'd shown impressive versatility and then yea I do think Frighteners showed them that he could work within the studio system and handle shooting with CGI effects.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Heavenly Creatures is what they say "won" him LotR, but I have a strong suspicion that Dead Alive's party scenes--with the large amount of special effects, choreography, stunts, and sheer amount of zombies--is what secretly convinced the suits to give him LotR. It's easy to look at those scenes and say "Oh yeah, they guy could totally pull off large battles with orcs and elves and poo poo."

Miramax/Disney didn’t want to pull the trigger on two movies with around $100 million dollars (someone who’s read DisneyWar more recently than me can jump in and correct me) between both of them because they thought it wasn’t going to succeed, even though Harvey (ugh) was assuring them it would be a good idea. After they passed, New Line gave him 3 movies at $100 million each. People were skeptical, but New Line took a chance and won out big time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Frighteners is so good.

The power... of the MIND......... is absolute

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I still haven't seen Heavenly Creatures. I suspect his work on The Frighteners played a role in getting him LotR as well. That was a good movie, though very different from what I suspected.

I think Heavenly Creatures might be my favorite Peter Jackson movie. It's no wonder that Melanie Lynskey was catapulted into similarly meaty, challenging roles such as, uh (checks notes) Charlie Sheen's stalker on "Two and a Half Men." Hm.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Uhhh. Stuff that jumps out without thinking too hard, the first kill in The Bye Bye Man is pretty sweet. The falling head scene in Street Trash. Head rip from Hatchet.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Liberal Idiot posted:

I think Heavenly Creatures might be my favorite Peter Jackson movie. It's no wonder that Melanie Lynskey was catapulted into similarly meaty, challenging roles such as, uh (checks notes) Charlie Sheen's stalker on "Two and a Half Men." Hm.

She’s good in I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore, the movie by Jeremy Saulnier’s buddy, Macon Blair.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

She’s also really good in Castle Rock.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

e: nevermind!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

The Frighteners is so good.

The power... of the MIND......... is absolute

It's the best episode of Tales from the Crypt.

Besides Demon Knight.

Fight me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Miramax/Disney didn’t want to pull the trigger on two movies with around $100 million dollars (someone who’s read DisneyWar more recently than me can jump in and correct me) between both of them because they thought it wasn’t going to succeed, even though Harvey (ugh) was assuring them it would be a good idea. After they passed, New Line gave him 3 movies at $100 million each. People were skeptical, but New Line took a chance and won out big time.

Looking back on it, that was such a great time to be a movie lover and I'm sure other studios in hindsight were like "wtf were we thinking?"

Not just LOTR, but LOTR was the prime example of how CGI was opening up this entire new universe of possibilities for blockbuster filmmaking. Filming on Fellowship of the Ring began in 1999, so we're still less than a decade out from Jurassic Park. LOTR was this behemoth story that for a long time had been considered unfilmable for obvious reasons. So with all the new tools at their disposal, you'd think multiple studios would've been competing to make the movies after it became clear that these entire alternate worlds could now be realized on-screen.

Sure, it's old hat now, there's very little novelty left in CGI effects. But I definitely remember what it was like when it was new and each new adaptation of a classic story had amazing possibilities because of how much special effects had taken a leap forward with CGI.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO at the posers itt who dont think the Santa episode is the best tales from the crypt one

id also accept the one with bill paxton and brad dourif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Looking back on it, that was such a great time to be a movie lover and I'm sure other studios in hindsight were like "wtf were we thinking?"

Not just LOTR, but LOTR was the prime example of how CGI was opening up this entire new universe of possibilities for blockbuster filmmaking. Filming on Fellowship of the Ring began in 1999, so we're still less than a decade out from Jurassic Park. LOTR was this behemoth story that for a long time had been considered unfilmable for obvious reasons. So with all the new tools at their disposal, you'd think multiple studios would've been competing to make the movies after it became clear that these entire alternate worlds could now be realized on-screen.

Sure, it's old hat now, there's very little novelty left in CGI effects. But I definitely remember what it was like when it was new and each new adaptation of a classic story had amazing possibilities because of how much special effects had taken a leap forward with CGI.

The major reason Disney balked was because of the price tag and the fact that it was an old story that people wouldn’t care about, not realizing that a big leap forward in CGI and action filmmaking would itself be a huge draw. This was also the era of Disney that was worried about Johnny Depp’s appearance tanking Pirates of the Caribbean.