Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
My Spotify top tracks were dominated by songs I played during the long-rear end d&d campaign I ran this year.

No shame!!! I only play legit bangers while GMing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lrzuoitlVk

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Broken Bells (lead singer of The Shins and Danger Mouse) released their first track in quite some time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8HAsgFtg2U

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Checks out

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Same

Also not sure if anyone in this thread is familiar with dredg but AHHHHHHHHHHHH

https://twitter.com/dredg/status/1072186420393988096

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 10, 2018

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

:frogc00l:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMDaJcUKMs

:eyepop:

I love how something this weird can make it onto loving Fallon ahahaha

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMDaJcUKMs

:eyepop:

I love how something this weird can make it onto loving Fallon ahahaha

100% lip syncing.

Also,

Nothing will ever top Animal Collective performing #1 on Conan in terms of weirdness. He was still Late Night then but still... things have changed drastically in the decade sense in terms of what is considered for night talk shows.. Fallon plays loving drinking games and other silly poo poo.

https://vimeo.com/32743988

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd expect it to sound less poo poo if it was actually playback. :v:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Siivola posted:

I'd expect it to sound less poo poo if it was actually playback. :v:

You can hear literally the same exact stereo and effects as on her single track. The vocals are all being played with the track, the guitar is real I am pretty sure but the rest of it is literally being played from her setup as one track. Nothing too wrong with it though, just pointing it out.. she uses so much processing and effects with her stuff that if you hear it without any of that layering like a true live sound then it will sound like total poo poo compared. There's usually only so much you can do live to get it to sound like the studio when you do that much poo poo to it.

She may go on tour without lip syncing but for the big ol' TV appearance she elected to make it sound good vs make it authentic. I've heard other performances of hers that were live vocals from her last album.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Sure enough I go to the actual youtube page and there is a big argument about it, lulz.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Twin Cinema posted:

I really don't understand why Courtney Barnett's album isn't getting more love this year. It's not like the album got bad reviews or anything, but I haven't seen it show up on any end-of-year lists. It's my favourite thing she's done, and it's by far my favourite album of the year.

I didn't like it as much as the last one. When I went to see her live on tour the energy in the room was noticeably different when she played material off of the new album versus the older ones. They're different types of songs, sure, but they feel more low key like the ones off of the Kurt Vile collaboration and was just less enjoyable :shrug:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've yet to see Grimes live, but I have heard she generally tries to do too much at a show and it hurts the audio. She tries to play guitar, piano, live mix, dance, and run around. It's too much to where shes just out of breath to sing.

Sgt. Pepper09
Dec 12, 2008

Anyone else stoked for Cass McCombs new album out in February? Can't wait! I discovered him a couple years ago when Mangy Love came out and I have not looked back since. Definitely my new favorite songwriter out there. Andy Shauf is a close second!

Edit: He just released another song from the upcoming LP Tip of the Sphere out February 8th. Estrella

Sgt. Pepper09 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 12, 2018

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Slandible posted:

She tries to play guitar, piano, live mix, dance, and run around.

She definitely does all of these things, and almost always with dancers on the stage too. It's a fun as hell show though, and the energy is through the roof even if you can't process everything that's going on second by second.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

so yeah young fathers last night was the greatest gig i've ever been to

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I saw Cloud Nothings last night in Durham and some drunk 40-something chode stood in front of the stage, stayed turned away from the band the whole time (facing the audience) and just generally distracted everyone in the fuckin venue. Band didn't seem happy about it. He put his beer on the stage at one point and the bassist just took it. Same venue where I saw a guy punch Patrick Stickles from Titus Andronicus in the balls a few years ago.

Durham: A shameful place

trem
Sep 17, 2009
Saw saves the day a few weeks ago and during Kevin Devine's set there was a group of couples at the front of the stage actively ignoring him (and the band that played previously, An Horse). Kevin gave them death glares every so often and a visible eye roll during one song that seemed to embarrass them a little. It was a good set.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

I saw Cloud Nothings last night in Durham and some drunk 40-something chode stood in front of the stage, stayed turned away from the band the whole time (facing the audience) and just generally distracted everyone in the fuckin venue. Band didn't seem happy about it. He put his beer on the stage at one point and the bassist just took it. Same venue where I saw a guy punch Patrick Stickles from Titus Andronicus in the balls a few years ago.

Durham: A shameful place

Last time I saw Cloud Nothings (opening for Japandroids) the crowd was going loving nuts. That guy would have been killed.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

angrygodofjebus posted:

Last time I saw Cloud Nothings (opening for Japandroids) the crowd was going loving nuts. That guy would have been killed.

There was maybe four dozen people in the place :( p disappointing. The fact that the show was on a Tuesday two days after it snowed didn't help turnout. Crowd was pretty dead in general but the band sounded great.

I wanted nothing more than to see the four crust punk kids in attendance start violently moshing in front of the stage.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Become the change you want to see.

I am seeing Cloud Nothings (with Courtneys! Yay!) at Thalia Hall this Friday, which is a great venue with a stage that is too tall for people to be all weird.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Whorelord posted:

Yup I want to fly somewhere just to see them again on this tour

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Whorelord posted:

They're incredible and they will probably never come to New Zealand again and this makes me sad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure how I feel about The Hold Steady’s Stay Positive remaster. The main difference seems to be lowering the guitars and turning the synths up at times which makes it come off as more indie rock than it did, and slightly less bar rock-y. Didn’t seem like it was really necessary to remaster it. Songs are still fantastic, though, and I can’t wait to see them live again (and for the first time with Nicolay) in March.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 13, 2018

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've got a pretty rad mini fest coming up next month. I'm trying to go through everyone that's going to be at it and discovered Beach Bunny. Freaking Audiotree has the best live sessions around, I find myself constantly going to their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fba7HQgoE4g

Slandible fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 14, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I first heard Hannah Telle as the voice of Max from Life is Strange, but she's a musician by trade and I enjoyed her first album back in 2016. She has a new single out on her Bandcamp that I really like, "Later in Life." Very dreampop, highly reminiscent of alvvays.

https://hannahtelle.bandcamp.com/track/later-in-life

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I know it's silly to focus on lists, but this year's pitchfork albums list has me shook. Am I really so out of touch?... No, it's pitchfork who is wrong.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's not that different from a lot of the other lists I've seen. Nice to see Let's Eat Grandma and US Girls and Snail Mail pop up again.

Weirdly, though, this may be the only recent list I've seen that didn't have Dirty Computer on it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I think it's just a continuation of "albums" becoming less and less important. I like a handful of tracks off of the Mitski album, but the album as a whole barely registers for me. But then again, in retrospect, there weren't many albums at all this year that i would let run from beginning to end. Maybe Daughters?...

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'd say it is even less about albums being less important and more about P4s brand of including a ton of poo poo hardly anyone probably listened to all year to maintain the image.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
4 of the top 5 are solo women, MAKES YOU THINK. :thunk:

The Kacey Musgraves album is really loving good start to finish, the Mitski album I agree is half boring.. weak #1 pick by them.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Jeremih making the list but the Black Panther soundtrack not, Cupkakke being ranked better than Daytona, Robyn and Snail Mail in front of Sweetener, oh okay.

Golden Hour is very deserved tho.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

^burtle posted:

I'd say it is even less about albums being less important and more about P4s brand of including a ton of poo poo hardly anyone probably listened to all year to maintain the image.

i'd say it's the exact opposite: they started leaning into fairly mainstream rap really hard around 5 years ago, and in the last 2 or so years it feels like they've started to lean heavily into straight-up pop music. They've probably posted about Robyn more than any other artist this year.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

A movie soundtrack should not be considered an album thanks I'll take the response off the air

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Non shitpost response

Let's Eat Grandma was my aoty by a country mile.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Black Panther soundtrack is barely played in the actual movie. It's a "Music From And Inspired By" album. It's also better than most albums released this year.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I think my AOTY looking back was either Father John Misty - God's Favorite Customer, MGMT - Little Dark Age, or Shame - Songs of Praise.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Thom and the Heads posted:

Let's Eat Grandma was my aoty by a country mile.

I would put Baby Teeth (by Dizzy) or I Don't Run (by Hinds) or Time 'n' Place by (Kero Kero Bonito) all in the top five with the LEG record, but which one is the top one varies by time of day and barometric pressure.

Also In a Poem Unlimited was amazing.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Polo-Rican posted:

I know it's silly to focus on lists, but this year's pitchfork albums list has me shook. Am I really so out of touch?... No, it's pitchfork who is wrong.

i wouldnt feel too bad about it. p4k is currently in a fairly intolerable ironically-unironic-pop-appreciation phase. give them 6-12 months, and theyll be back to indie rock.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Polo-Rican posted:

They didn't put What a Time to Be Alive by Superchunk on there, so yes. They are wrong.

Edit: they also missed Firepower by Judas Priest, so yeah.

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

They didn't put What a Time to Be Alive by Superchunk on there, so yes. They are wrong.

Edit: they also missed Firepower by Judas Priest, so yeah.

Nobody is putting POST- by Jeff Rosenstock on their lists so I must fight them