Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

mike12345 posted:

I bought a Gamesir gamepad last year, and it worked ca. 8 months, then started freaking out. The build is nice, but apparently the electronics are poo poo.
drat. That's what I was afraid of. :(

I found a Dualshock 2 controller --> USB converter with good reviews (and at 1/10 the Amazon price); maybe I'll try that instead. I don't think I need Sixaxis or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I ordered an 8bitdo controller for 20 bucks from ali two weeks ago, can't obviously recommend it yet, just saying there are other options.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Im annoyed with the app right now as I search for free shipping, and an item will be marked as free shipping, but when I click on the item suddenly there are shipping costs on the store page.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Ugh, this is the second time I've got stuff with an EU power supply. Grr, at least I can MacGyver this with a soldering iron and a spare guitar pedal power cable... Remember kids, Ali will send you the wrong flavor of power given half a chance.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tad Naff posted:

Ugh, this is the second time I've got stuff with an EU power supply.
You're pretty lucky?
https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Has anyone gotten a soundbar like this one
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WOYbQhS

Or this one
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/jtjtnWY
or could recommend one?

I can't really spend 200 on a bose bar but I'm not sure

I can't attest to those but for $80 - $150 you can get quite a few from Woot by reputable brands with actual reviews.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I can't attest to those but for $80 - $150 you can get quite a few from Woot by reputable brands with actual reviews.

I'm German, all those deals don't apply, sadly

Yeah, all of those run 199 +

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 13, 2018

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

That's even though I have actually bought sex toys on aliexpress.

Link 'em up

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I am pretty sure the consensus for electronics is "be really loving careful" when it comes to poo poo you plug into the wall on Ali.

For plastic things you don't eat off of and what not, whatever, but look at some youtubes of ali electronics breakdowns.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kak posted:

Link 'em up
A bunch of the kind of underwear that's made of a couple strips of ribbon, and pretty nipple clamps, which I reason are fairly unlikely to be fatal. Some solid glass stuff on the theory glass is less likely to leach ??? than metal or plastic would be.

I bought from the cheapest sellers at the time but I get a feeling there's a lot of turnover.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 13, 2018

Woden
May 6, 2006

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I am pretty sure the consensus for electronics is "be really loving careful" when it comes to poo poo you plug into the wall on Ali.

For plastic things you don't eat off of and what not, whatever, but look at some youtubes of ali electronics breakdowns.

Xiaomi is a fairly decent brand and I'd be fine with plugging their poo poo into the wall. I'd probably buy the soundbar through Banggood or similar though since I couldn't find their store in my 10 seconds of searching Ali.

That said no idea if their soundbar is any good because all the reviews I saw came from dubious sites.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woden posted:

Xiaomi is a fairly decent brand and I'd be fine with plugging their poo poo into the wall. I'd probably buy the soundbar through Banggood or similar though since I couldn't find their store in my 10 seconds of searching Ali.

That said no idea if their soundbar is any good because all the reviews I saw came from dubious sites.

xiaomi makes some great mid range gear that you can tell they are trying hard to provide good value on. The low end is cheap garbage as is to be expected. Just be on the watch for fake xiaomi, yes fake chinese copy of a chinese copy. They have an official AE store, just buy from there.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Anne Whateley posted:

A bunch of the kind of underwear that's made of a couple strips of ribbon, and pretty nipple clamps, which I reason are fairly unlikely to be fatal. Some solid glass stuff on the theory glass is less likely to leach ??? than metal or plastic would be.

I bought from the cheapest sellers at the time but I get a feeling there's a lot of turnover.

Your bravery is noted.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

You prefer glass over the standard rubber ones?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

Your bravery is noted.
If I accidentally kill myself with underwear and nipple clamps, that's bizarre enough I won't even be mad

Salty Josh posted:

You prefer glass over the standard rubber ones?
I'm not looking to discuss my personal metaphorical boners. Like I said, I think glass is less likely to leach weird poo poo than other materials, and therefore maybe safer. I also wouldn't buy like forks or something on aliexpress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

googling 'are chinese glass dildos safe?'

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

If I accidentally kill myself with underwear and nipple clamps, that's bizarre enough I won't even be mad

I'm not looking to discuss my personal metaphorical boners. Like I said, I think glass is less likely to leach weird poo poo than other materials, and therefore maybe safer. I also wouldn't buy like forks or something on aliexpress.

The glass ones have a better texture for certain things. More of a collectible really.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd be worried that they'll be solid and fine then one day explode like a Prince Rupert Drop for no reason

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
died in fire at nipple clamp factory

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'd be worried that they'll be solid and fine then one day explode like a Prince Rupert Drop for no reason

Maybe if they have some faulty wiring. The glass ones usually don't since they are opaque.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Know someone with a long boring commute? Here's the perfect stocking stuffer! Just the thing to keep your iPad or laptop handy when you need it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2951309569.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I uh... yikes

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have to believe that's intended to be used while parked. Could you even move the steering wheel with that on it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sure, you'd just tip everything off

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've bought a poo poo ton of knickknacks and a few clothes off Ali, but I'm not buying anything that resembles safety equipment or kitchenware. Not gambling on my health and safety just to save some pennies.

Gonna add "penetrating sex toys" to that list. I mean that ¢86 butt plug probably won't give you cadmium poisoning, but is it worth the risk?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

googling 'are chinese glass dildos safe?'

Hello friend I am here for you and your orifices!

:nws: http://dangerouslilly.com/2016/05/glass-sex-toy-safety/ :nws:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ok I read that entire extremely tl;dr thing.

1. None of the glass toys tested had lead
2. There are stories online where the color is actually some kind of coating that comes off maybe. Obv avoided by buying clear ones
3. The cheap toys weren't as strong as they could be, so they're probably more likely to break or chip if you drop them. They still aren't going to turn you into that guy with the lightbulb
4. But if something has tiny thin parts under stress, it could break, don't

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Til theres a glass dildo company called loving Sculptures

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Was. They're out of business now. :(

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Recently I was in a local upscale sexshop and they had the exact same (silicone) dildos I bought from Ali,packaging and all, just at a 10x markup, so y'know, take that as you will.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
If anybody thinks there isn't piles of generic Alibaba poo poo in your local high street I have a bridge to sell you.
Literally you send them your graphics to go on the packaging and they ship you as many as you like.

There's even giant expos to go to where you fly in and go through looking at samples and getting supplier contacts. The expo halls are apparently enormous.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Dildos for days

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody have any experience with elbowpads, kneepads, shoulderpads etc? I just got a bicycle and I’m a fan of not breaking things

Ideally something that fits without straps i.e. slip ons but I am not specially picky. Would be using over clothing so sizing may be an issue

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Furia posted:

Does anybody have any experience with elbowpads, kneepads, shoulderpads etc? I just got a bicycle and I’m a fan of not breaking things

Ideally something that fits without straps i.e. slip ons but I am not specially picky. Would be using over clothing so sizing may be an issue

It's probably not necessary unless you're doing some hard mountain biking, but the biking forum might have some suggestions and you can find the knockoffs on aliexpress.

On the other hand, safety gear is maybe not something you want to take chances with unless it's just for show.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's probably not necessary unless you're doing some hard mountain biking, but the biking forum might have some suggestions and you can find the knockoffs on aliexpress.

On the other hand, safety gear is maybe not something you want to take chances with unless it's just for show.

Yeah I considered that point but I just don’t have too much cash to spend atm

Might as well check that forum out thanks

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Furia posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hahahahahaha

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Anne Whateley posted:

Ok I read that entire extremely tl;dr thing.

1. None of the glass toys tested had lead
2. There are stories online where the color is actually some kind of coating that comes off maybe. Obv avoided by buying clear ones
3. The cheap toys weren't as strong as they could be, so they're probably more likely to break or chip if you drop them. They still aren't going to turn you into that guy with the lightbulb
4. But if something has tiny thin parts under stress, it could break, don't

Welp, you talked about vagina stuff in a GBS thread. This is going to be going on for a few pages.

Ridin' in style :c00lbert:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Does it light up and play the power ranger’s song?

I only want it if it plays the power ranger’s song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh no, I don't know what "that guy with the light bulb" refers to, and I'm way too curious for my own good.