Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's funny that a character who can't talk and didn't exist in the main game of new vegas was way way more interesting, had more depth, and was more ingrained in the world via Veronica and the Brotherhood than any of the Fallout 3 or especially 4 characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I enjoyed Lonesome Road as a kind of epilogue/wrap-up to the rest of the game (even if it takes place technically before the Battle of Hoover Dam) but Old World Blues was probably my favorite.

That said, I absolutely loved the heist atmosphere of Dead Money, and Dean Domino is a pretty amazing character. Honest Hearts is probably the weakest addon but it is still incredibly good.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That said, I absolutely loved the heist atmosphere of Dead Money, and Dean Domino is a pretty amazing character.

:hf:

Dead Money = Old World Blues > Honest Hearts > Lonesome Road, for me. I really liked the concept of Lonesome Road but I never liked the way it came together. Dead Money is one of the most cohesive, contained Fallout stories and I adore it.

But I also unironically like Skyrim and Fallout 3, so I am casual Bethsoft scum.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jackie D posted:

I've never seen anyone say that.

yeah me neither, but I'm old and tend to tune people out when they start talking nonsense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my favorite things about Dean Domino is that when you first meet him, it's possible to manipulate him via charisma/intelligence into doing something for you. For a character like Dean, doing this is a MASSIVE blow to his ego, and even though he will hang out with you and be your buddy, he will spend the entire time plotting revenge/looking for an opportunity to betray you.

If you fail to manipulate him/let him get one over on you at that first encounter, he will still hang out with you/be your buddy, but now when it comes to a pivotal point he will come to your rescue/help you out.... simply because he likes you and thinks you are a pretty cool dude :cool:

Edit: It would drive people mad, but I really liked that Obsidian did that, and kinda wish they'd more often make it that passing a skill check doesn't always give you optimal results regardless of context.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The amount of ways to get poo poo done makes it astounding they knocked the base game out in a bit more than a year. Obviously they just kept throwing poo poo in until the deadline rather than fixing bugs but hey, the crashes are part of the charm :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ropekid also did an unofficial patch after Lonesome Road came out and all official updates on the game had ended. The level of work put into the game was just incredible and it endlessly irritates me Obsidian had a reputation for years as making buggy games when Bethesda were the ones responsible for bugchecking but didn't do any for the entire length of time they had between the development being finished and the release. Which coincidentally meant the game fell JUST short of the review score average it needed to guarantee a bonus to Obsidian.

I hope The Outer Worlds is a gigantic success.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

after being thoroughly disappointed in what Fallout4 could have been I have zero plans on revisiting any further Fallout games.

I was hoping the settlement mechanics would be more fleshed out and the Brotherhood of Steel stuff didn't feel like it was forced in because Fallout has BoS so we gotta have BoS in 4.

Getting to build your own murder robot was cool but I wish it wasn't at the expense of having a chatty companion along for the ride.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Ropekid also did an unofficial patch after Lonesome Road came out and all official updates on the game had ended. The level of work put into the game was just incredible and it endlessly irritates me Obsidian had a reputation for years as making buggy games when Bethesda were the ones responsible for bugchecking but didn't do any for the entire length of time they had between the development being finished and the release. Which coincidentally meant the game fell JUST short of the review score average it needed to guarantee a bonus to Obsidian.

I hope The Outer Worlds is a gigantic success.
review score is guaranteed to gently caress obsidian over because the game really won’t seem that special (like most of their games tbf) if you try to sprint to the credits rolling so you can get your article printed

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Well....as of five minutes ago. I finished my last final. As of today I'm officially a college graduate, associate degree in digital forensics, it's taken me so long to even finish from starts and stops. I don't know where to go to next.

I've been so used to just working in whatever job I could get and chip away at the program. I'm honestly kinda scared to figure out what's next. I'm freakin 36. I don't know what I'm even capable of doing. I'm not walking, the ceremony is going to be held on a hockey rink and I don't want to sit on ice freezing, plus self loathing on taking so long to get a degree.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, either venting or whatever. Either way, I'm just kinda dumbfounded that I managed to make it to my goal. What do you think thread?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jiro posted:

Well....as of five minutes ago. I finished my last final. As of today I'm officially a college graduate, associate degree in digital forensics, it's taken me so long to even finish from starts and stops. I don't know where to go to next.

I've been so used to just working in whatever job I could get and chip away at the program. I'm honestly kinda scared to figure out what's next. I'm freakin 36. I don't know what I'm even capable of doing. I'm not walking, the ceremony is going to be held on a hockey rink and I don't want to sit on ice freezing, plus self loathing on taking so long to get a degree.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, either venting or whatever. Either way, I'm just kinda dumbfounded that I managed to make it to my goal. What do you think thread?

First off: Congrats friend, I'm proud of you.

It's always scary to not know what's next, especially when you've pursued something for so long. Whatever it is you do pursue next, I do believe you'll succeed in that too. Just try not to let the uncertainty of that overcome your joy at accomplishing this, because what you've done today is absolutely still impressive, no matter how long it took

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Von Linus posted:

It does have like 100 stages though, there's bound to be some clunkers.

I thought I was being hard on the stage selection because I banned something like 11 stages right away, but competitive scene has already allowed less stages than I've banned.

https://twitter.com/2GGaming/status/1072272286529531910

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jiro posted:

Congrats!

Next up get your resume together, eyeball some decent jobs, expect them to reject you but keep at it until something breaks.

Oh and never hate yourself for bettering yourself. Even if you think world doesn’t appreciate it, you still put in more effort and have tons better chances than they’ll ever admit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jiro posted:

That is loving awesome, congratulations. It is a little scary but you've worked hard and proved you are capable, be proud!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Don't hate yourself but don't walk still

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thank you kind goons of PSP Wrestlehut2K :v:.

Resume has been tweaked and messed with for some time now, hard part is convincing somewhere that even though I've got a professional lifetime of experience in retail/service/data entry I'd be a fit to work in a lab to root out evidence and such to be used in a court of law, OR go back and finish out a Cyber security associates in the Spring while I job hunt and get more certs and pony up on the live side of preventative measures too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you play classic mode as wii fit trainer you just keep facing increasingly fatter and fatter opponents with the final boss being a giant jigglypuff

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jigglypuff is filled with air and shape shaming is pathetic and weak.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Man some of the Spirit fights are extremely bullshit

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

Man some of the Spirit fights are extremely bullshit

it took me a few tries but i finally beat the ashley spirit fight as captain falcon getting into a rhythm with the controls being switched on me in a very grueling slow paced battel. then after i acquired a spirit that disables control switching and i died of dysentery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse last night and it's incredible. Like, everything about it. Go see it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Endless Mike posted:

Is saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse last night and it's incredible. Like, everything about it. Go see it.

We saw it on Thursday too. I second this post. Anyone nerdy enough to still post on SA owes it to themselves to go see it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if you play classic mode as wii fit trainer you just keep facing increasingly fatter and fatter opponents with the final boss being a giant jigglypuff

Is this real?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Not only is it real, one of the intervening fights is you and Dr. Mario teaming up in what I can only assume is a physician's intervention to beat King K. Rool into better dietary habits

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just got a promotion! Going to be handling a much bigger sports book.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got Smash. Me and my teen bonded over figuring out which levels aren’t motherfuckers. We’re neck and neck in skills so it’s fun to trade wins back and forth.

Trying to convince the switch we really are two different humans holding a single joycon apiece was...enlightening.

The single player mode is kinda cool. Stayed up way to late gathering spirits and practicing my Capt Falcon taunts.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
coco you should get real controllers. please don't make your child use a single joycon to play smash.

i tried online earlier for the first time. everyone in the Games thread complains about how the online is lovely but it was fine for me. my first win was with King K. Rool. he's very good, even though i don't care for his character design. i don't like how his eyes look. they are very 90s, you know? they are different sizes and one is all bloodshot. like he's totally cracked. i think 9/11 killed that whole aesthetic. it wasn't fun to josh about having "a few screws loose" when everyone in America was legitimately going insane.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright. I've been posting this question in a few places so I figure I'll post it here:

Let's say I'm thinking of getting a full-price game. Which game should I go for?

AC: Odyssey
Marvel's Spider-Man
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Caveats:
I like Spider-Man but am not a huge fan. I'm mostly just curious to see how a Spider-Man game could garner this much critical praise.
I love open-world games where I can forget about the main plot for 40 hours (I actually stopped playing Watch Dogs 2 when I realized I couldn't hold off the main plot forever. I just wanted the game to be arbitrary acts of carnage until I achieved my goals)
I don't really care about anime tiddy one way or the other.
I hate puzzles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Marvel's Spider-Man is fantastic, it captures perfectly the spirit of Spider-Man as extremely well-meaning and noble while also being a complete idiot who hilariously fucks things up all the time. It really captures the "hero" part of being a super-hero.

Edit: Plus it perfectly captures how incredibly frustrating it must be to fight Spider-Man, as you are just pulling the most insane poo poo on these guys as they try to get their hands on you, plus you NEVER shut up the entire time :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 17, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright. I've been posting this question in a few places so I figure I'll post it here:

Let's say I'm thinking of getting a full-price game. Which game should I go for?

AC: Odyssey
Marvel's Spider-Man
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Caveats:
I like Spider-Man but am not a huge fan. I'm mostly just curious to see how a Spider-Man game could garner this much critical praise.
I love open-world games where I can forget about the main plot for 40 hours (I actually stopped playing Watch Dogs 2 when I realized I couldn't hold off the main plot forever. I just wanted the game to be arbitrary acts of carnage until I achieved my goals)
I don't really care about anime tiddy one way or the other.
I hate puzzles.

Spider-Man is a really drat good game

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'd go with Spider-Man

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Why don't you buy them all you big spending hog. with this hogwash

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

My favorite part of the spider man game was when cop lady tells you that the NYPD would never abuse civil forfeiture laws to steal innocent people’s property for no reason.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm gonna go against the grain and say Odyssey. I liked my time with Spider-Man plenty but think it gets way more hype than is truly warranted, but primarily:

ChrisBTY posted:

Sidequests and bullshit are almost more the point of Odyssey than the actual plot. Spider-Man's side content is the least interesting part of it; there's only a smattering of actual quests and the vast majority are short, samey physical challenges or pattern-matching/pipe dream-style puzzles, which means

ChrisBTY posted:

I hate puzzles.

might be a problem.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Spiderman is really good because the web traversal never really gets old. It stays fun feeling the entire time.

Spiderman is a cop though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hmmmm, that sounds like a black flag for Spidey.

Does it feel at all like the second Spider-Man movie, which I at the time referred to as "the Passion of Peter Parker" because the whole movie painted him as a savior who got the poo poo of the world dumped on him capped off by a symbolic crucifixion scene (when he's trying to stop the train)?

Because I didn't care for that.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 17, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nah, it's about an earnest young guy who wants to do the right thing and make the world a better place, and his idealism gets battered and bruised by some real assholes but he comes out the end still optimistic and hopeful that he can be a positive change in the world. It's really actually quite sweet underneath all the quips and throwing giant dudes into vans and against the side of skyscrapers.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The ending is pretty much nothing but dramatic pathos but it feels like the story has earned it by the point for the most part.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
As a fan of both the Spider-Man and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey games, I'd say flip a coin to choose between the two. Or just buy both :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Xenoblade was my GOTY this year (since I only started it when the DLC expansion came out because SMO also came out the same time as Xenoblade) but it is heavily plot based and not open world so that's out for you.