Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Elderbean posted:

Where can I do some basic combat missions? I suck at shooting things.

Find a Resource Extraction site (low) from a ring. Grab a kill warrant scanner. Go to RES. Follow cops around, scan ships, shoot the ships the cops are shooting. Get money. Repeat. You'll get the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Elderbean posted:

Where can I do some basic combat missions? I suck at shooting things.

Best thing for learning to shoot is bounty hunting:

1- Find a Resource Extraction Site (Low). Usually found on ringed planets.
2- Scan ships until one pops up as "Wanted".
3- Shoot it dead.
3a- Do not shoot ships that are not flagged as wanted; even if the cops are shooting it.
3b- If you shoot one ship in a wing, its buddies are going to be pissed.
4- Do this a few times then fly back to the nearest station and turn in your bounty rewards.

My favorite place to do this is the LHS 20 system, outside Ohm City station. The station is just outside the planet's rings so your turn around time is short.

I strongly recommend doing this with friends as part of a wing; it is more fun, less dangerous, and more profitable.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 13, 2018

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Compromised Nav Beacons are great because there are no asteroids.
You will also get bigger ships such as condas.

Beginner's guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/48sxbm/compromised_nav_beacons_you_a_hopefully_helpful/
List of RES and CNBs near Xihe: http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/bountyhuntingsystems/nearest?system=xihe&distancely=400

I used La Rochelle to grind my way up to Combat Elite.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was talking to a friend last night about wanting to get the game to do some space truckin' and he mentioned you can just get jumped and robbed of whatever you're carrying at any point? Because ETS2 in space sounds dope, but not so much if that includes getting dark souls invaded.

As others have said, you can get 'interdicted' by NPCs or other players while cruising around in supercruise (in practice this means you have to play a small minigame where your ship starts moving chaotically and you have to aim for a specific targeting reticule in order to not get pulled out of supercruise and forced into a fight. That being said, this has literally never happened to me and I've been playing the game for months (granted, on PS4 where there are fewer players).

But you can play in solo mode, where you will not run into other humans.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popping back into this to try out the exploration and mining changes. Exploration has always been my favorite so that seems cool. I’ve wanted to like mining so maybe now it’s finally cool.

One thing I haven’t been able to figure out and I can’t look in game right now: Did they ever enable one-way passenger missions to Colonia? I would love to kit out one of the passenger ships to pull off something like this, but the only missions prior to that were strictly round trips to and back from Colonia.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was talking to a friend last night about wanting to get the game to do some space truckin' and he mentioned you can just get jumped and robbed of whatever you're carrying at any point? Because ETS2 in space sounds dope, but not so much if that includes getting dark souls invaded.

In 4+ years of exclusively playing in Open, I have had a handful of player encounters. Most of them have been meeting other explorers around POI on planets and then having dune-buggy shenanigans with pubbies!

I have been ganked twice, once during a Sothis gold rush and once when I was just tooling around randomly. It's not a big deal, you'll spend more time ducking NPCs than humans. :shrug:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The open world with players works great. You don't see them too often since space is big and there's instancing. It's seemlessly done in the sense that you couldn't tell a player from an NPC if you are just doing regular station-to-station business. You basically don't have to worry about getting ganked.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Get the gently caress in
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/meatbishop/video/65433940

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't access this at work. Please describe the video in great detail so I can imagine it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I can't access this at work. Please describe the video in great detail so I can imagine it.

rock go boom

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So for VR users, how is the scanning in VR? Does it do what the system map does and make the scanner take up the entire screen?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

StuG Jeebus posted:

I just did all of these about a week ago, and yes, everything can be found in or around Colonia.
Osmium can be found in the innermost ring of the same planet Jacques Station orbits.
Don't remember which system had the cells but it was one of the named systems adjacent to Colonia.
I used this to get pods: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447311-Guide-Fast-way-to-find-Occupied-Escape-Pods-near-Colonia Took me two trips.
Also note that the fourth guy will take any bounties, not just ones from that specfic faction.

thanks jeebus

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Okay, which one of you built this gooncave?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/a5twfc/wip_turning_the_cupboard_under_the_stairs_into_a/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GHOST_BUTT posted:

No, that tutorial is just really, really bad. Someone said once that it used to be pretty doable but then after Engineers the enemies got radically more difficult because they suddenly had dirty drives and oversized weapons and all kinds of poo poo, and you are in a stock Sidewinder.

Or something to that effect.

If that's true then I don't feel so bad about taking 4 attempts to do the basic combat tutorial. In my first attempt the tutorial lady was saying "you have him on the ropes! Put full power to weapons!" when he was behind me and I was almost dead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I switched from my Adder to the freebie Viper 4 I received ages ago and it's nice to have more internal compartments. Way more flexibility to try passenger missions, surface stuff, checking out all those weird signals.

I need more practice scanning but I was doing this in a low sec system and got interdicted. I switched from the scanning interface and there was no escape vector to chase. Good thing that pirate was bad at his job and easy to get away from.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

If that's true then I don't feel so bad about taking 4 attempts to do the basic combat tutorial. In my first attempt the tutorial lady was saying "you have him on the ropes! Put full power to weapons!" when he was behind me and I was almost dead.

I tried it again last night after posting that. Took me four tries and I'm certain a chunk of it was luck.

If you look at the module display, though, you'll note that every single internal slot is wasted on cargo space, which is the exact opposite of what you want in a combat loadout; no SCBs, no reinforcement, nothing. You would never deliberately take that Sidewinder into a fight. So I'm not beating myself up over it or anything.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I had the same worries about ganking in Open, fellow Space Trucker, but in my 70+ hours I have met exactly one (1) other human player. The entire interaction consisted of each of us expressing surprise at seeing another person in the chat. Then it was back to flying tond of poop around.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

While I don’t disagree that open’s rep is way worse than it should be, I’m in the solo camp mostly because of the above stories. Like 95% of all player encounters are arguably just as interesting if they were NPCs.

I played in open for awhile and it really didn’t add much of anything to the experience if you aren’t actively seeking out PvP. There’s not a lot of reason to have interactions otherwise. Then I went to a community hotspot and got immediately rammed to death in a way that was exceedingly difficult for me to retaliate given my ship and the crime and punishment system.

I’m not saying that’s even likely to happen again, but when the record of player interaction is 0/1/300+ of good/bad/“might as well have been an NPC”, I’d just rather take out the delta factor of thinking about running into lovely players. It absolutely depends on your style of play, but while the downsides are highly overstated, I would argue the positives aren’t exactly game-changing either.

Ultimately though, play what you’re leaning toward and there’s no reason if one mode or the other frustrates you, you can’t switch mid stream.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i would just advise that you stay in solo if you dont want to be interrupted. like if you're hauling cargo or running missions, there's no up-side to being in open (unless you want to form a wing or do multicrew).

on the other hand, its fun to go to open when you aren't risking a bunch of cargo, exploration data, or bounty vouchers. or maybe you get a rush from risking these things in open. you do you.

but for my money, when returning home from a long exploration trip, there's no reason to be in open where someone can erase weeks of progress in 15 seconds or less.

e: With all that said, you can enjoy the best of both worlds by being in open all the time, and having a hotkey to terminate the game process if someone tries to be a dick to you. you won't lose any progress, and the guy harassing you will be very upset about it lol

e2: last thing, you should switch to solo if you're trying to dock somewhere and all the landing pads are in use

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 13, 2018

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have really enjoyed the interactions I've had with other commanders out in the black. I've only ever had one guy try to be a dick to me in my entire time playing. Compared to the countless (I do a lot of CG stuff) positive and chill interactions I've had its a fair trade off. I've also been a pirate once when trying to do some power play shenanigans.

That being said I think a lot of people play this game to be alone, in which case yeah be a hermit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Helianthus Annuus posted:

e2: last thing, you should switch to solo if you're trying to dock somewhere and all the landing pads are in use

I can't imagine pad 5 at Robigo Mines is ever free in open

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

For the new people joining us, take a minute to consider checking out Skvortsov Orbital in 63 G. Capricorni. It was the station to be damaged by the Thargoids this week and it's not way out on the edges of the bubble or somewhere out Maia way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

a big fat bunny posted:

For the new people joining us, take a minute to consider checking out Skvortsov Orbital in 63 G. Capricorni. It was the station to be damaged by the Thargoids this week and it's not way out on the edges of the bubble or somewhere out Maia way.

I'm docked there now! Thanks for the heads up. I'll move my ships.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Please go dock with the station, load up some passenger missions, and evacuate some fellow goon moms. Thank you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well, this is weird as gently caress. I guess the server hiccuped or something as I was jumping into a system and my controls were completely unresponsive, couldn't adjust my throttle, change pitch or even look around. Only thing I could do was pause. Then my ship sped up super fast towards the star so I quit the game in a panic. When I re-logged I was super close to the star not taking any heat damage and my ship won't move an inch. All my controls work now at least.

Guess it's time to log a ticket.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Stay safe MoGoat.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Veotax posted:

Well, this is weird as gently caress. I guess the server hiccuped or something as I was jumping into a system and my controls were completely unresponsive, couldn't adjust my throttle, change pitch or even look around. Only thing I could do was pause. Then my ship sped up super fast towards the star so I quit the game in a panic. When I re-logged I was super close to the star not taking any heat damage and my ship won't move an inch. All my controls work now at least.

Same thing happened to me, did you jump in discovery mode?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ikonoklast posted:

Same thing happened to me, did you jump in discovery mode?

Probably. I don't have any weapons on this ship so I don't have any reason to go back to combat mode.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've been having a fun one where sometimes, with no discernable pattern to it, planets show up in the DSS already appearing fully scanned, so I have no idea which areas I've already hit with probes. It's not a huge thing because all it means is that I take a slight hit to probe efficiency, but it's irritating.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My best Open experience was when I ran into some guys in a rando belt and we went bounty hunting together. Then on our way back one of them get pulled down by a CMDR in a Viper so we all scrambled to help. The Viper ran but I happened to have an interdictor so we pulled him down again and killed him. With all of us hollering over comms and cops dropping in it was super fun!

My worst Open experience is every time someone’s AFK on a landing pad because that’s not even scary it’s just dull

E: oh yeah Skortsov got blapped. My ship got shunted to the nearby rescue ship. I’m setting up an S&R ship right now to try ferrying Frogs (AND ONLY FROGS) off the station.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 13, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been interdicted waaaaaay more times by NPCs than real players, by a huge margin. The former are pretty easy to get away from. The latter are harder, but doable. Try not to worry too much about it, it's not super common to get jumped and blown away.

Maybe the thread can answer this related question: does the chance for npc interdiction go up if you're carrying cargo? It seems like I fly scott free when I'm just exploring, but god forbid I put some lovely junk in the hold.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I visited Skvortsov and used this as an opportunity to upgrade to a Type-7. Is there any indication of how close the station is to recovery or is it just a rumour that flying in supplies and flying out refugees makes it recover faster?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wait, so the Thargoids attack stations? And you can rescue people like it's the fall of Saigon? :stonklol:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Veotax posted:

:same:
I logged out and in

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, so the Thargoids attack stations? And you can rescue people like it's the fall of Saigon? :stonklol:

Yes and the stations look pretty cool on the outside and are burning and hot on the inside.

I heard something like places are going to start turning into proper warzones and players can help fight the Thargoids off, too. I don't know whne that's going to start.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes and it’s rad as hell. Also very lucrative with large ships. Bring a lot of heat sinks.

Bringing supplies to a station does and will lead directly to its repair. It takes a lot, and I think the players in game have only managed to 100% a few. It used to be an extreme amount of stuff needed, but it’s a lot lower since a few months back. It’s still something like 20k units of each material. But a group of people sourcing the units could probably each deliver 1000 units a day or more.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I wanna do that

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I just did my first planetary landing (to what I presume is a spaceport) and it was terrifying. It was on the night-side of the planet, so I was just flying into what effectively looked like a black hole. At first I didn't even realize the station was on the planet and was very confused. Then alarmed when I realized I was supercruising right into a planet. Then confused again when I dropped out and it was going to take 20 minutes to fly there (and a bunch of atmospheric navigation aides popped up on my HUD, furthering my alarm and confusion). So I tapped supercruise again, saw my radar get rapidly filled with a red field and an impact warning show up. Mashed the hell out of supercruise....18 minutes to destination. Gingerly went back into supercruise and nervously speed straight into this black abyss that filled up my entire screen. Then it dropped me out as I got close and after a little bit of adjustment (I wasn't sure if I could even hover in-atmosphere) I managed to land without killing myself or any bystanders. Success!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Sounds like you’re ready for high-g planetary landings now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yes and it’s rad as hell. Also very lucrative with large ships. Bring a lot of heat sinks.

Bringing supplies to a station does and will lead directly to its repair. It takes a lot, and I think the players in game have only managed to 100% a few. It used to be an extreme amount of stuff needed, but it’s a lot lower since a few months back. It’s still something like 20k units of each material. But a group of people sourcing the units could probably each deliver 1000 units a day or more.

What’s a good ship for a newer buddy to participate in this? I was thinking passenger missions would be more fun then the medicine missions.

Also, when should we start expecting system states to change? I’ve got some USS grinding I want to do.

Edit: good job on the dark landing! I slammed in to a black building landing at a station yesterday. I should really try out the new night vision mode!

Kjermzs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 14, 2018