Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

Uhhh. Stuff that jumps out without thinking too hard, the first kill in The Bye Bye Man is pretty sweet. The falling head scene in Street Trash. Head rip from Hatchet.

I actually forget the first kill in Bye Bye Man, is it the thing that happens In The Past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=297454&org=NSF&from=news

Uh oh, two people die in a fire at McMurdo Station....

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Isn't this the third death in Antartica in a couple months?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

Weird, my Neca mask is heavy as gently caress and the cheap elastic straps barely hold it on your head. It's neat though.

To be fair to them, mine has been in and out of storage for almost a decade. Things have crushed it enough to basically snap it.

Also thanks dudes re: pictures. I’ve mostly been doing avp photo shoots but I have a Neca ultimate leatherface I haven’t shot yet.really been meaning too. Maybe I’ll fire up TCM one night for inspiration and snap some pics

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

To be fair to them, mine has been in and out of storage for almost a decade. Things have crushed it enough to basically snap it.

Also thanks dudes re: pictures. I’ve mostly been doing avp photo shoots but I have a Neca ultimate leatherface I haven’t shot yet.really been meaning too. Maybe I’ll fire up TCM one night for inspiration and snap some pics

It would be neat to see you try to match some of the cinematography from it. Bit different than the neon stuff you normally do, which is awesome.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

So we have, what, less than 27,000 hours left at this point?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Savageland is so loving awesome. One of the best found footage style horror movies ever made. The use of music is outstanding as well and that, combined with the creepy photos the movie uses to illustrate the horror, is some of the most chilling stuff I've seen in a horror movie in a long time.

This movie really hits on why I really love Found Footage when it's done well. It doesn't have to be "OH MAN SPOOKY GHOST ON MY CAMERA I NEED TO FILM THIS PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!" poo poo all the time. You can do awesome stuff with it and mess with well worn tropes in amazing ways.

MAJOR SPOILER!!! This is one of the creepiest zombie movies ever, dead stop. The photos are so perfectly done and make it even more terrifying than footage would have.

It's on Prime, watch it ASAP. It starts slow and there's a certain cheesiness to the beginning but when it hits the ground it doesn't let up.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 13, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually forget the first kill in Bye Bye Man, is it the thing that happens In The Past?

Yes! Man that had my hopes really high for the rest of it. I was a fool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I actually thought the movie got off to a rip roarin start.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I missed the beginning of Bye Bye Man and picked up right before the seance. I sat and watched it mostly in bafflement at how bad it could get.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

Yes! Man that had my hopes really high for the rest of it. I was a fool.

I knew it would be balls but it has some fun stuff in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Question: are there any holiday or Christmas themed giallos? Or something close enough?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hereditary was a masterpiece and I will never watch it ever again.

I know this isnt quite the right place for it but Haunting of Hill House was also extremely good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Question: are there any holiday or Christmas themed giallos? Or something close enough?

I think we figured out that the opening of Argento's Deep Red(so the origin of the killer basically) takes place during Christmas season, there's a tree in the scene.

Other than that no, I don't think there were any.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Hereditary was a masterpiece and I will never watch it ever again.

Yeah that about sums up this movie for me too. Really well made film. Hit hard as gently caress. I loved how it was unique, it was a really original script and the movie was perfectly cast.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I bought a copy of Heridtary because I like it so much and, like my copy of Pan's Labyrinth, I'm not sure I'm ever going to actually rewatch it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Deep Red

Black Christmas (1974)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not sure I'd call Black Christmas a giallo but I could see how it could scratch the itch. I haven't seen Deep Red tho I've been meaning to forever so I'm definitely gonna watch that one! Thanks everyone!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

I bought a copy of Heridtary because I like it so much and, like my copy of Pan's Labyrinth, I'm not sure I'm ever going to actually rewatch it.

Wait, why? Pan's Labyrinth is great. It's dark, but I think it ends on a high note.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eh I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and it's definitely a pretty loving heavy movie. It's actually probably one of my lesser-favorite Guillermo movies, and I say that as a MASSIVE Del Toro fan. It's still great I just think a lot of his other stuff is better, with the Shape of Water being his magnum opus (so far!)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Not sure I'd call Black Christmas a giallo but I could see how it could scratch the itch. I haven't seen Deep Red tho I've been meaning to forever so I'm definitely gonna watch that one! Thanks everyone!
It's not a giallo per se, but it's what you'd call a proto-slasher, and "scratches the itch" is exactly how I'd put it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Eh I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and it's definitely a pretty loving heavy movie. It's actually probably one of my lesser-favorite Guillermo movies, and I say that as a MASSIVE Del Toro fan. It's still great I just think a lot of his other stuff is better, with the Shape of Water being his magnum opus (so far!)

I actually think Pan's Labyrinth is still his magnum opus, with Shape of Water being 2nd best.

It's a heavy movie, but I don't feel bad about a little girl in a horrible living situation during a terrible war getting to go to heaven where she's princess of her own fantasy world. That's a happy ending in my book.

Same with Jacob's Ladder.

edit: Fun fact, I've still never seen Cronos. I tried to watch it on Netflix but their encoding was hosed up and the movie was unwatchable. Another streaming service had it and glitched on me. Another time I couldn't get subtitles to work. I keep meaning to watch it, but no-go.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Yea watch Deep Red regardless, it's a must watch. In some ways I prefer it to Suspiria actually, it has plenty of vivid color too but it's a more grounded story. And it has Daria Nicolodi, which a big mark in any movie's favor for me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not a giallo per se, but it's what you'd call a proto-slasher, and "scratches the itch" is exactly how I'd put it.

Yeah exactly. I definitely need to re-watch it. I like the re-make a lot too, I don't know which one I like more. They're both fantastic even if the remake is weird as hell it has its charm.

Franchescanado posted:

I actually think Pan's Labyrinth is still his magnum opus, with Shape of Water being 2nd best.

It's a heavy movie, but I don't feel bad about a little girl in a horrible living situation during a terrible war getting to go to heaven where she's princess of her own fantasy world. That's a happy ending in my book.

Same with Jacob's Ladder.

I think that's more true with regards to the latter movie you mentioned. I mean it is tragic what Jacob went through in Vietnam, but at the end you get the feeling he is genuinely going to heaven or at least a happy "hereafter" with his son, whereas in Pam's Labyrinth there's always that question (to me at least) of whether the fantasy parts are real or whether they are just a little girl's way of coping with massive trauma They're both bittersweet and feature themes of tragedy and redemption, and both excellent movies.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

You guys and your prefabbed NECA masks, get on my level :v:

Cost me about $12 in materials to make, and I really want to make some more some time because it's so much fun. Maybe one for each movie.

I made a calavera Jason mask for Halloween a few years ago.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Fun fact, I've still never seen Cronos. I tried to watch it on Netflix but their encoding was hosed up and the movie was unwatchable. Another streaming service had it and glitched on me. Another time I couldn't get subtitles to work. I keep meaning to watch it, but no-go.

Fun Fact: Cronos probably has the most hilariously misleading poster in movie history. Come for the scantily clad women, stay for the old man licking blood from the public bathroom floor:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Alhazred posted:

stay for the man licking blood from the public bathroom floor

Don't doxx me bro

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen Deep Red tho

LMAO at the posers itt who haven't seen Deep Red.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

I think that's more true with regards to the latter movie you mentioned. I mean it is tragic what Jacob went through in Vietnam, but at the end you get the feeling he is genuinely going to heaven or at least a happy "hereafter" with his son, whereas in Pam's Labyrinth there's always that question (to me at least) of whether the fantasy parts are real or whether they are just a little girl's way of coping with massive trauma They're both bittersweet and feature themes of tragedy and redemption, and both excellent movies.

It's an interesting mirror that I think Del Toro holds up in front of the audience and at the end there what I think we're seeing is a reflection of ourselves more than anything else. In a world that can be so hateful and unjust, do you believe there's something beyond that? Can an innocent person truly transcend their lovely circumstances and break free into a better world? Or is it all a fleeting vision that will blink out of existence as soon as the heart stops beating?

I've changed over the years and so my opinion when I watch the movie has too. And the entire movie is crafted to allow for that, which for me is the true genius of what Del Toro did with Pans Labyrinth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

LMAO at the posers itt who haven't seen Deep Red.
I think Argento's giallos are underrated compared to the Witches trilogy. (Well, the first two parts, anyway.)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Shin Godzilla is pretty funny, but most of the jokes are leveled at the bureaucracy and inefficiency of the government during a true emergency. The Godzilla scenes themselves are devastating but extremely badass.

Shin Godzilla is amazing. I believe that there is a US version of the film that removes most of the bureaucracy and inefficiency stuff. This sounds insane to me because that's like taking the Exorcist and removing all of the religious stuff so it's just a bunch of scenes of Regan swearing and screaming and spitting up pea soup without context or explanation.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Savageland is so loving awesome. One of the best found footage style horror movies ever made. The use of music is outstanding as well and that, combined with the creepy photos the movie uses to illustrate the horror, is some of the most chilling stuff I've seen in a horror movie in a long time.

This movie really hits on why I really love Found Footage when it's done well. It doesn't have to be "OH MAN SPOOKY GHOST ON MY CAMERA I NEED TO FILM THIS PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!" poo poo all the time. You can do awesome stuff with it and mess with well worn tropes in amazing ways.

MAJOR SPOILER!!! This is one of the creepiest zombie movies ever, dead stop. The photos are so perfectly done and make it even more terrifying than footage would have.

It's on Prime, watch it ASAP. It starts slow and there's a certain cheesiness to the beginning but when it hits the ground it doesn't let up.

My wife came in while I was about a third of the way into this and I had her convinced it was an actual documentary for a bit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Untrustable posted:

My wife came in while I was about a third of the way into this and I had her convinced it was an actual documentary for a bit.

Those loving photos, especially the last 3, are creepy as gently caress. That one where it looks like the zombie's whole jaw is unhinged :aaaa:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt who dont think the Santa episode is the best tales from the crypt one

id also accept the one with bill paxton and brad dourif

LMAO at this poser who doesn't know that the best Tales from the Crypt episode is Cutting Cards featuring Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe.

Was I the only person out laughed out loud when in Hereditary The kid hits her head on that light pole

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at this poser who doesn't know that the best Tales from the Crypt episode is Cutting Cards featuring Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe.

Fuckin truth. So good. Then again I'm super partial to Dig That Cat...He's Real Gone.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

Was I the only person out laughed out loud when in Hereditary The kid hits her head on that light pole

I feel like it'd be natural to laugh in that split second. It's so loving jarring and HOLY poo poo that I bet every theater had at least a few nervous laughs. The scene right after is loving awful though

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

the best Tales from the Crypt episode is Cutting Cards featuring Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe.

Goodness, no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Best opinion in this here thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I laughed at a lot of moments, but not that moment.

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Unfriended: Dark Web was both one of the dumbest and most fun movies of 2018. Also creepy as gently caress sometimes. I really hope we get more Unfriended movies and the next one focuses on creeps on Tinder and stuff :allears: