Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I just received word that a customer is reticent to adopt route 53 because it won’t be manageable like their current solution and X has fears that they won’t have a good level of control over DNS if they make the shift.

Which is infuriating because the dot com, literally the largest retailer in the history of ever, has been using route 53 since ‘94

As it turns out, this customer of mine has a global footprint too. So global that X has designed a DNS solution that involves five hundred twenty DNS servers.

Physical.

Servers.

I think X is worried that the tens of thousands of dollars per month he is causing the organization might be perceived as a mistake vis-a-vis r53 so he is doubling down on his own solution rather than one that costs literally pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

I think X is worried that the tens of thousands of dollars per month he is causing the organization might be perceived as a mistake vis-a-vis r53 so he is doubling down on his own solution rather than one that costs literally pennies.

Yep, it's this.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yep, it's this.

Imagine being “the DNS guy”.

Like being “the Exchange guy” but smaller.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They should lose 100 of their DNS servers and leave it at that

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Imagine being “the DNS guy”.

Like being “the Exchange guy” but smaller.

I used to be that guy, so for me, it's more like "imaging ignoring 15 years of advances in enterprise computing and thinking it gave your job security." That's one of those plans that sounds great until it stops working suddenly, completely, and forever.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a trainer came in.

We are replacing a budgeting application with a brand new one, that in itself is good. The application is over a decade old and had been out of support for over 5 years.

New app can do ad level access or internal access restrictions . Cool

Then the trainer says this to a room full of end users and me the only it guy.

" We recommend that each department manager manages access to their portion of the software via ad internally. They have better knowledge of what access should be granted than IT."

He wants us to give end users ad access.

I.. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can use mail-enabled security groups and then department managers can change the members through Outlook.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Thanks Ants posted:

You can use mail-enabled security groups and then department managers can change the members through Outlook.

Didn't know that was a thing tbh, good to know

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

I'm rubbish at using up my annual leave (UKs name for PTO)

Most companies I'm familiar with let you have a little bit of carry over - I am allowed a max of 5 days, I cant remember a year where I didn't carry over 5 days.

This year I'm carrying 11 days because you are allowed to go over the policy if there is a reason - I was covering vacancies so because they said you can't take leave, you can carry it over - usually you are supposed to use it up in the first 2 months of the leave year, but I still had vacancies so *Shrug*

I am taking time off over Christmas because I need to use it up - due to my girlfriends work I only go home for Christmas for like 3 days so I don't actually need to.

But now I have my helpdesk guy relatively settled in I am trying to be better with it but sometimes I've just gotta be like gently caress this I'm out *mic drop* or I'll never get away...

We're allowed to carry 5 days but everybody in my department (9 guys) also have a "floating holiday" day that they can only use during the week of Christmas (because we're open Christmas eve and didn't used to be)

It's really fun trying to get 9 people their day off in that period ...

suuma fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 13, 2018

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I was trying to figure out how you could turn "Being the DNS guy" into a decant paying full time job.

Agrikk posted:

Physical.

Servers.

O I guess by creating a needlessly complex, cumbersome and expensive solution to justify your wage is a good way of doing it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just got the joke of why it's called Route 53.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A system engineer just manually demoted the domain controller for this building, which is fine because we have lots of other ones.
Except it's not fine because it was handling DHCP for this office and now it's lost it's trust with the domain and he can't sign in and there's no local admin because it's a domain controller and lol everyone is gonna get new leases.

If it's demoted, you can use local admin again. And it is trivial to reset if you have any sort of bootable media.

devmd01 posted:

ADFS only authenticates to the PDC role.

I don't think this is right but do not have a reference handy.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

As it turns out, this customer of mine has a global footprint too. So global that X has designed a DNS solution that involves five hundred twenty DNS servers.

Physical.

Servers.

lol how many servers does r53 itself take up.

1000?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

RE: Leave, I mentioned back in August I got a new job.

Since it's the UK leave was already gonna be at least fine, but I start with either 26 or 28 days, can't remember which, after 2 years get 2 more, and after 4 years get another 2, plus the company gives <Company Name> Days at xmas time, so we get 3 additional days exclusively for use around then, that don't come out of any normal allowance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

I only just got this within the last year and I feel dumb as hell about it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I only just got it when Jaded Burnout mentioned that it was even a thing to get.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

I only just got it when Jaded Burnout mentioned that it was even a thing to get.

same

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Wow, TIL

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Huh. I never thought about that before.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

¬

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 16, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

as a rule I avoid jokes about UDP, because I can't tell if other people get them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You guys with your fancy secret handshakes

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

and I just got the pun in your username 'cause I am extremely fuckin' slow

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

That's okay, you can always try again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

as a rule I avoid jokes about UDP, because I can't tell if other people get them.

I have joke about TCP.

Are you ready to hear a joke about TCP?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, gently caress off.

:v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Probably doesn't help that when I see "Route \d+" it gets replaced with "some unfathomable American road-based 50s nostalgia thing, probably in California or Nevada or some poo poo"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Recruiter ping this morning. Sounded interesting. Asked for more info. They forwarded a job description. Way more windows-ey than I'm comfortable with, but nbd. Then I see it:

"including support of Beta products in a production environment"

Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Wait.
Maybe...
What? gently caress no.
Absolutely loving nope.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Probably doesn't help that when I see "Route \d+" it gets replaced with "some unfathomable American road-based 50s nostalgia thing, probably in California or Nevada or some poo poo"

I get the exact same thing lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, gently caress off.

:v:

Reset received.

I have joke about TCP.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Recruiter ping this morning. Sounded interesting. Asked for more info. They forwarded a job description. Way more windows-ey than I'm comfortable with, but nbd. Then I see it:

"including support of Beta products in a production environment"

Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Wait.
Maybe...
What? gently caress no.
Absolutely loving nope.

I'm only at 90% nope, with the other 10% being "well, at least they know that it's happening and they're honest about it."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Fool posted:

I don't think this is right but do not have a reference handy.

It was hosed and booting into safe mode, even trying to uninstall the patch would fail and try to revert. Since I had to seize the role to get ADFS working I wasn't gonna bring that server back in without flattening it and cleaning up ntdsutil, srv records, etc. Honestly easier than trying to figure out why the OS was fubar and fixing it.

When you have extranet lockout enabled it requires the PDC: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/pie/2015/10/11/adfs-extranet-lockout-and-pdc-requirement/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks for the link, I was unaware of the requirement for extranet lockout.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The forums are unblocked at my work! I think a Goon started in IT. Bless you Goon IT person.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Virigoth posted:

The forums are unblocked at my work! I think a Goon started in IT. Bless you Goon IT person.

You're welcome but your boss is onto you this is your fair warning.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm only at 90% nope, with the other 10% being "well, at least they know that it's happening and they're honest about it."

I feel you, but at the same time, signing on for that responsibility is putting a massive bullseye on your forehead. The company will be depending on you, and the software manufacturer has the ability to tell you to shove it because beta, leaving you stuck holding the bag.

gently caress that noise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Reset received.

I have joke about TCP.

pihole -b -wild chubbythephat.shitposter

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I only just got it by sounding it out like an American.
In Australian English, at least, it's pronounced more like "gray-yum". Also how the gently caress do you type a schwa on an iOS keyboard

SirNine
Feb 8, 2013
I work at a Help Desk so I get some fun ones.

Not really a ticket but a call.

Lady calls in for a password reset
Me: Your password is Happy123$
Lady: How do you spell Dollar Sign?

Looking back I should have changed it to DollarSign1$ and let her figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Your new password is CapitalaLowerCaseZ