Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Coffee And Pie posted:

I hope someone heckles Louis CK by hitting him in the neck with a baseball bat

i would prefer flat-palmed slaps to his cheeks and soft or hard penises shoved into his eyeholesebd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Slate posted:

The New York Times got its hands on a draft version of the report produced by the independent investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against disgraced CBS CEO Les Moonves, and whatever you were imagining, it’s worse. According to the Times, which covered the story via the simultaneous publication of a reported piece from Rachel Abrams and Edmund Lee, a summary of the four main takeaways from the draft report, and an opinion piece from James B. Stewart,the lawyers that CBS hired to look into Moonves’ past not only concluded that Moonves had “engaged in multiple acts of serious nonconsensual sexual misconduct in and outside of the workplace, both before and after he came to CBS in 1995,” but that Moonves lied, misled investigators, and destroyed evidence during the course of the investigation. What’s more, the report concludes that board members, high-ranking CBS executives, and rank-and-file employees were aware of allegations against Moonves—in the case of the now-deceased board member Arnold Kopelson, since as far back as 2007—and did little or nothing about them.

quote:

Although the reporters did conclude that Moonves’ sexual misconduct came to an end in 2004 when he married Julie Chen, knowledge of Moonves’ behavior was still widespread enough in 2018 that multiple employees told the investigators about another CBS employee who was believed to be “on call” to provide Moonves with oral sex, and thus unfireable. The woman in question did not respond to investigators’ requests for an interview, but Moonves admitted to receiving what he described as consensual oral sex from her in his office, despite the fact that she was his subordinate. (The fact that Moonves’ behavior was apparently an open secret casts a terrible light on the board’s initial decision to stand by Moonves until his conduct had been investigated; Moonves didn’t resign until September, after a second round of sexual misconduct allegations.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I hope someone heckles Louis CK by hitting him in the neck with a baseball bat

Let's minimize this type of language, please. Louis CK is a piece of poo poo, but I don't want to hand out probations for people joking about assault.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need t shirts.

GET YOUR DICK OUT

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Let's minimize this type of language, please. Louis CK is a piece of poo poo, but I don't want to hand out probations for people joking about assault.

Joking?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Franchescanado posted:

I didn’t say that I wanted to hit anyone in the neck with a baseball bat. Just that if someone happened to be swinging a baseball bat and Louis CK accidentally walked into it neck first, I wouldn’t be upset. It happens all the time.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Louis CK and all of his blood relatives should be killed by the state.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

porfiria posted:

Louis CK and all of his blood relatives should be killed by The State.

I could see Kerry Kenney-Silver being down but Michael Ian Black and Tom Lennon would probably decline.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHEQqApoAY&t=88s

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I could see Kerry Kenney-Silver being down but Michael Ian Black and Tom Lennon would probably decline.

Oh no, does Tom Lennon suck as much as post-Meghan McCain book Michael Ian Black sucks?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh no, does Tom Lennon suck as much as post-Meghan McCain book Michael Ian Black sucks?

I was just thinking they didn’t seem like very violent people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The worst part is, she's probably right.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1072210456847237120

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Franchescanado posted:

Oddly enough, I was going to say that we shouldn't compare Louis to Gary Glitter, who would legitimately deserve some kind of beating if he weren't already in prison for child sexual molestation.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 12, 2018

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Not sure if there's room for this type of anecdotal discussion in this thread but I've had an interesting experience with algorithms and I'd like to talk about it.

I'll condemn Louis CK's actions till the day that I die, but there are still certain parts of his act that I really appreciate, or that resonated with me in a way that I sometimes return to them out of nostalgia (in particular, his bit on playing monopoly with his kids). In the meantime, I have become INUNDATED with all types of MRA videos and channels decrying MeToo and defending Louis CK / TJ Miller / Aziz Ansari etc. (comedians I don't even watch) to an obsessive and obviously not impartial degree. The ignore / "don't show me this type of content" button does not seem to permanently abate this phenomenon.

I'm sure my time lurking in the Schadenfreude thread might have some kind of hand in the content I'm being shown, but I can't help but to think that somewhere in code there's a correlation between "enjoys the art" and "wants to be exonerated for enjoying it" that the YouTube engine seems compelled to reinforce? This whole experience has really put the 2016 election, and humanity's inherent cognitive dissonance, in perspective for me.

I do feel sympathy for these people who believe that there's a war against men, and not that a larger systemic corruption is finally being unveiled, because the systems they use to enjoy art must also comfort them with subliminal messages that they can enjoy them guilt free, in fact here's 6 simple facts about the case that prove Louis CK did nothing wrong.

Outside of the larger movement against social media algorithms in politics, is there any battle currently being waged on this front in particular, in regards to MeToo?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

God Hole posted:

Not sure if there's room for this type of anecdotal discussion in this thread but I've had an interesting experience with algorithms and I'd like to talk about it.

I'll condemn Louis CK's actions till the day that I die, but there are still certain parts of his act that I really appreciate, or that resonated with me in a way that I sometimes return to them out of nostalgia (in particular, his bit on playing monopoly with his kids). In the meantime, I have become INUNDATED with all types of MRA videos and channels decrying MeToo and defending Louis CK / TJ Miller / Aziz Ansari etc. (comedians I don't even watch) to an obsessive and obviously not impartial degree. The ignore / "don't show me this type of content" button does not seem to permanently abate this phenomenon.

I'm sure my time lurking in the Schadenfreude thread might have some kind of hand in the content I'm being shown, but I can't help but to think that somewhere in code there's a correlation between "enjoys the art" and "wants to be exonerated for enjoying it" that the YouTube engine seems compelled to reinforce? This whole experience has really put the 2016 election, and humanity's inherent cognitive dissonance, in perspective for me.

I do feel sympathy for these people who believe that there's a war against men, and not that a larger systemic corruption is finally being unveiled, because the systems they use to enjoy art must also comfort them with subliminal messages that they can enjoy them guilt free, in fact here's 6 simple facts about the case that prove Louis CK did nothing wrong.

Outside of the larger movement against social media algorithms in politics, is there any battle currently being waged on this front in particular, in regards to MeToo?

Having watched a couple of celebrities I'm interested in on Joe Rogan, mysteriously I am now exposed to the lovely MRA/Neo-Nazi opinions of Joe Rogan and his guests (the vast majority of his shows), along with the thousands of MRAs who boost Bill Burr and Norm Macdonald as allies--because, at the end of the day, they are, no matter how much time they spend trying to equivocate.

The only real way to get out of lovely YouTube is to watch people people who aren't hiding behind "political neutrality/independence" and "anti-PC" views to support or weaken the status quo, becoming a gateway drug for disaffected young men.

If someone's going to bring up politics on their show and invite political guests, they aren't neutral or independent. They're selling you something. There's a lot of supposedly apolitical comedians, especially those who wish they were George Carlin, who mysteriously feel the need to abandon that to leap to Louis CK's defense. Then you figure out why politics are never explicitly in their act--because they're cool with status quo politics. gently caress 'em.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I honestly had no idea who Bill Bure was until I heard him on Conan’s podcast. What an rear end in a top hat. I think less of Conan O’Brien for having him on

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Having watched a couple of celebrities I'm interested in on Joe Rogan, mysteriously I am now exposed to the lovely MRA/Neo-Nazi opinions of Joe Rogan and his guests (the vast majority of his shows), along with the thousands of MRAs who boost Bill Burr and Norm Macdonald as allies--because, at the end of the day, they are, no matter how much time they spend trying to equivocate.

The only real way to get out of lovely YouTube is to watch people people who aren't hiding behind "political neutrality/independence" and "anti-PC" views to support or weaken the status quo, becoming a gateway drug for disaffected young men.

If someone's going to bring up politics on their show and invite political guests, they aren't neutral or independent. They're selling you something. There's a lot of supposedly apolitical comedians, especially those who wish they were George Carlin, who mysteriously feel the need to abandon that to leap to Louis CK's defense. Then you figure out why politics are never explicitly in their act--because they're cool with status quo politics. gently caress 'em.

The thing is, I don't watch these shows, I never have. Joe Rogan and Bill Burr's podcasts disgust me.

All I did was look up a few clips from Louis CK's stadium comedy acts and YouTube connected the rest of the dots for me. My gripe is that the barrier to being presented MRA political podcasts seems to be "searched for and watched comedy acts of a disgraced comedian", indicating to me that YouTube is guilty, at least in part, in indoctrinating disaffected males that weren't otherwise looking to be radicalized when seeking out art they enjoy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

God Hole posted:

The thing is, I don't watch these shows, I never have. Joe Rogan and Bill Burr's podcasts disgust me.

All I did was look up a few clips from Louis CK's stadium comedy acts and YouTube connected the rest of the dots for me. My gripe is that the barrier to being presented MRA political podcasts seems to be "searched for and watched comedy acts of a disgraced comedian", indicating to me that YouTube is guilty, at least in part, in indoctrinating disaffected males that weren't otherwise looking to be radicalized when seeking out art they enjoy.

The YouTube algorithm is defining the indoctrination strategy and enabling it, yes. This problem is as old as social media and is only just now being grappled with seriously in the public, even though observers of various stripes have been saying that the Internet is loving up the public discourse with its democratization of hucksterism, white supremacy, and general psychosis for years and years. The Internet, after all, makes you stupid.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 13, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I honestly had no idea who Bill Bure was until I heard him on Conan’s podcast. What an rear end in a top hat. I think less of Conan O’Brien for having him on

I love Conan and his podcast but yeah. That poo poo sucked

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bill Burr very precisely taps into the idea of being a 'manly man' (he loves fight sports and actually had a very good comment on Muhammad Ali's passing) and also the 'manly man' as a concept being under attack. I mean, it isn't, but he can act like it is, do his act in defiance of the largelty imaginary and powerless crazy lefty pc brigade, and sell way more tickets than he would otherwise

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What did Bill Burr say?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He just doesn’t like how PC things are.

His podcast with H3H3 was pretty great due to how much contempt he had for H3. It’s cringe as hell and wonderful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For the record I’m not a Bill Burr fan, but I did like him in Breaking Bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

For the record I’m not a Bill Burr fan, but I did like him in Breaking Bad.

That's the annoying part. He's actually talented. At his best, he's a very good stand up comic and has been involved with a whole bunch of really good projects. He's also perfectly happy to cater to the worst elements in his audience, like an rear end in a top hat

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

God Hole posted:

that's the joke i've always heard about Youtube: you can get from a video on *random thing* to "Why *random thing* is ruined by the SJWs" to "Why it's OK to be white/straight/male" to "Straight White Men are just better than everyone else" in four clicks.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

that's the joke i've always heard about Youtube: you can get from a video on *random thing* to "Why *random thing* is ruined by the SJWs" to "Why it's OK to be white/straight/male" to "Straight White Men are just better than everyone else" in four clicks.

Even turning off View History, the site will access likes and playlists to make similar suggestions. It's like that Microsoft AI that learned from the internet and it became an alt-right monster. I was getting Fox News recommendations on my Home page for YouTube, and no amount of "Do not show me this content" made it go away. I wrote in an angry complaint and I haven't seen it since, but that doesn't inspire confidence given that the column of video suggestions in any given video I am watching has recommendations from places/people I do not want to see.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I can tell you from firsthand experience that even a momentary encounter with a Joe Rogan clip on youtube is akin to standing next to the elephant's foot at Chernobyl. If you've seen it with your own two eyes, it's already too late.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

DC Murderverse posted:

Six degrees of Nazi Bacon

EDIT: Six degrees of KKKevin Bacon?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

I can tell you from firsthand experience that even a momentary encounter with a Joe Rogan clip on youtube is akin to standing next to the elephant's foot at Chernobyl. If you've seen it with your own two eyes, it's already too late.

I watched Bill Burr's thing on Ali when he died, and I now constantly get "6 more liberal celebs who hate political correctness" videos.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

every single time I see a video in the list of recommended videos on the side of what you're watching that features Ben Shapiro in any context other than laughing at him I immediately report for inappropriate content. No one should be forced to watch Ben Shapiro without the context of him being a total loving loon.

(why I get Ben Shapiro-adjacent videos, I have no idea, I watch nothing on YouTube but music videos, trailers, stuff about speed running and the occasional ContraPoints video.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched a clip of Palpatine saying DO IT and I got a bunch of “why Last Jedi is the worst SJW taking over! Kill Rian Johnson!!!” Videos.

Want these dweebs to get hit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DC Murderverse posted:

and the occasional ContraPoints video.

Probably that, doesn't she talk about him, and there's probably a bunch of alt-right videos dissing on her.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

every single time I see a video in the list of recommended videos on the side of what you're watching that features Ben Shapiro in any context other than laughing at him I immediately report for inappropriate content. No one should be forced to watch Ben Shapiro without the context of him being a total loving loon.

(why I get Ben Shapiro-adjacent videos, I have no idea, I watch nothing on YouTube but music videos, trailers, stuff about speed running and the occasional ContraPoints video.

There's a not insignificant overlap between gamers/speedrunners and chuds. GDQ banned a runner just like a week ago for saying a bunch of Nazi poo poo online

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a problem in strategy wargaming too. Paradox's games have massive chud sections of their fandoms, and the multiplayer chat section of the 'Wargames' series is just a list of nazi interpretations of history.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The YouTube algorithm is defining the indoctrination strategy and enabling it, yes. This problem is as old as social media and is only just now being grappled with seriously in the public, even though observers of various stripes have been saying that the Internet is loving up the public discourse with its democratization of hucksterism, white supremacy, and general psychosis for years and years. The Internet, after all, makes you stupid.

It's not "the internet", it's capitalism. Any time there's a problem in culture, you can follow a long (or short) thread right back to capitalism every loving time. You get recommendations on YouTube for MRA guys or for edgy "anti-PC" comedians like Bill Burr because they're popular and popularity equals advertising equals money for YouTube. It's why Nazis aren't run out on the rails on tumblr or whatever, they're easy to advertise to. Money is all that matters to tech companies, they don't give a single poo poo about toxic politics doing real damage to impressionable young men and the people those young men hurt in-turn.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The biggest Youtube channel flirts with as much alt-right stuff as it can get away with.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

God drat, Ben Shapiro is the worlds biggest dork. His voice is like a caricature of nerdy voices. It's honestly like something out of the Simpsons. He also has the physical build of a loving chess player.

loving internet fascists rallying behind the most effete public figure since Paul Lynde is very funny to me.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The biggest Youtube channel flirts with as much alt-right stuff as it can get away with.

pewdiepie is just loving dumb

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have never once actually encountered "pewdiepie" and it kind of makes me wonder how out of touch I actually am that like even the Youtube algorithm decided to skip me on that.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Also, Bill Burr sort of exemplifies comedians that are good performers without any unique insight or even punchlines. His standup is essentially the type of tired bullshit you hear from your dumb uncle at Thanksgiving, but he speaks with conviction and he knows how to deliver a joke.

He's a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's nothing more hardcore than talking about how many people your Netflix stand up special is going to trigger.