Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
AdoredTV posted a new video defending the veracity of the leaks he reported:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYUJXHqESk

Also someone on reddit claimed they faked the r/AMD leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, Jim@AdoredTV called his uncle at Nintendo and has some updates to share.

Roll on CES2019 so we can see what way this is going down.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
A good leak would have had a couple 14nm Excavator parts thrown in there for flavor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
To be fair, it looked and stank of bullshit from day dot

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I watched AdoredTV's response video and I think I feel less convinced now than before I watched. He comes across as a little desperate without laying out any further actual proof.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Huh, Youtubers will do any poo poo to grab every possible ounce of attention? That clearly never happened before in the history of mankind.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I mean it should have been obvious since Raven Ridge is moving to 12nm that AMD entire low end and APUs would Picasso. Like a 2019Q3 release for Navi APUs sounds reasonable, but the idea of making them MCM of a normally dGPU is ridiculous, and unless there is some wtf powerful magic in Navi 1280 shaders would be choked to hell and back, the 704 on Vega 11 is held back by something like 33-50% since it lacks a fast framebuffer.

Like, if I was AMD Navi APUs would target 768-1024SPs, be monolithic and have an on die cache of some sort. They'd probably still choke a bit but you'd get a really nice uplift compared to Raven. Otherwise you'd need to wait for DDR5 to move APU performance up, as Vega 8 really seems to hit the limits of what DDR4 can do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m still holding out hope for a 64C/128T 3990wx. I think that’s doable. Just not at 5ghz.

I’ve become addicted to more cores. I’m an embedded Linux engineer, and let me tell ya, going from a 6C 6800K to a 24C 2970WX saves me a good 15 minutes per build.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 13, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ratbert90 posted:

I’m still holding out hope for a 64C/128T 3990wx. I think that’s doable. Just not at 5ghz.

I’ve become addicted to more cores. I’m an embedded Linux engineer, and let me tell ya, going from a 6C 6800K to a 24C 2970WX saves me a good 15 minutes per build.

rip and tear all the threads!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Palladium posted:

Huh, Youtubers will do any poo poo to grab every possible ounce of attention? That clearly never happened before in the history of mankind.

Yeah, click baiters gonna bait. That said, I need that 3700x 12c @ ~5ghz so Jim had better be right

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'll settle for 8c/16t @ 5.0 for $250. That way, even if architectural IPC improvements come up short, the clock speed will still be there to carry.

Was it ever settled that the 14nm controller die is coming to mainstream consumer Ryzen as a mandatory piece of the package?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Seamonster posted:

I'll settle for 8c/16t @ 5.0 for $250. That way, even if architectural IPC improvements come up short, the clock speed will still be there to carry.

Was it ever settled that the 14nm controller die is coming to mainstream consumer Ryzen as a mandatory piece of the package?

Almost certainly. Probably a more cut down two channel variant of it, but 90% of the gains from the process change only show up when you use the chiplet + IMC design they showcased.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wargames posted:

rip and tear all the threads!

Someday I will have more cores/threads than I had Ram on my Thunderbird build.

I dream of the day I can type make -j256 without being silly. :allears:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah I did embedded Linux stuff at my last job for a few months and I'd start builds before lunch and come back and they'd still be going, Threadripper would have been a godsend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I did embedded Linux stuff at my last job for a few months and I'd start builds before lunch and come back and they'd still be going, Threadripper would have been a godsend.

I calculated it out. It's going to pay for itself in less than a month, as I charge clients a flat rate, and this is now saving me 15 minutes per build, with around 10 to 15 builds a week.

I charge the same, but save a ton of time. It's a good investment I say.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Seamonster posted:

Uhh yeah I too would "settle" for a competitor to Intel's top regular desktop chip at half the price.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/fragman1978/status/1073356067596251142?s=19
https://twitter.com/fragman1978/status/1073356715452596225?s=19

Here's some background info on why they're using cobalt.

https://semiengineering.com/dealing-with-resistance-in-chips/

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 14, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Eletriarnation posted:

Uhh yeah I too would "settle" for a competitor to Intel's top regular desktop chip at half the price.

I know what you mean but calendars don't lie. 9900K will have been out for half a year before we see consumer 7nm from AMD.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
That is true, but I am not sure why it is relevant. While I expect AMD to try harder to compete with Intel than Intel would to compete with their own last generation, I still wouldn't expect comparable product at half the price. It's not like Intel drops their prices anywhere near 50% even a year after launch.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I meant they (9900k) are actually available for purchase and people do buy them, high pricing and all. Perhaps not the best cross section for the general public but there are people in the GPU thread with them already. Those guys will decidedly NOT be getting an 8c/16t 5.0G AMD part to replace it, that's all.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

That is true, but I am not sure why it is relevant. While I expect AMD to try harder to compete with Intel than Intel would to compete with their own last generation, I still wouldn't expect comparable product at half the price. It's not like Intel drops their prices anywhere near 50% even a year after launch.

1700 launched at $329, the 2700 at $299. A non-X Zen2 8c/16t chip priced at $250 is way more realistic than 5ghz overclocking headroom :v:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Sure, yeah, I have no problem whatsoever believing AMD might put out a $250 8C/16T chip in the next few months. That price being on the top model seems less likely though - if they get up to 5GHz I'd expect more like 350-400, especially if they manage to noticeably improve IPC over Zen 1.

Of course, it may be that the chiplet model is even more economical than it seems and AMD would be making great money even letting the top bins fly out the door at what would currently seem to be insanely good pricing. Mea culpa and good for us all in that case.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 14, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwa2yXtlvM

ASUS joining MSI and Gigabyte in enabling overclocking on 200GE on the newest BIOS version

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
How is one supposed to get into the BIOS on one of these newer systems? My system (2200G on a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3 motherboard, OS is Windows 10) boots so fast that its impossible to hit Del fast enough to get into the BIOS. I doubt that the keyboard is even active before the Windows load screen shows up.

I heard that there was some add-on program from Gigabyte so I installed the APP Center but it doesn't have any options to enable a reboot to recovery or BIOS option.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mark Larson posted:

How is one supposed to get into the BIOS on one of these newer systems? My system (2200G on a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3 motherboard, OS is Windows 10) boots so fast that its impossible to hit Del fast enough to get into the BIOS. I doubt that the keyboard is even active before the Windows load screen shows up.

I heard that there was some add-on program from Gigabyte so I installed the APP Center but it doesn't have any options to enable a reboot to recovery or BIOS option.

You don't need anything extra, this functionality is built into Windows 10.

Either hold down Shift while clicking Restart or search for "advanced startup options" in the Start Menu. Then select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Also, after you've done what Lambert suggests once you can usually configure the BIOS to have a 1-3 second boot delay so you have time to press delete or F2 next time, if you want.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Space Racist posted:

I watched AdoredTV's response video and I think I feel less convinced now than before I watched. He comes across as a little desperate without laying out any further actual proof.

lol at the end commenting on the "too good to be true" youtube comments:

"If you tell these companies that it's 'too good to be true', you make it so"

this is like a Dril post

"people that tell me I'm full of poo poo - you are the reason I lie"

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
For a fun time find the appropriate r/amd thread where they lap it up too

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Llamadeus posted:

The Adored leak seems accurate for non-APU stuff to me. If the APU part were true, there's no dedicated memory there and it's still dual channel so performance won't be anywhere near what people expect it to be.

AMD's dedicated GPUs aren't in a good place, and likely won't be in a good place with Navi. Nvidia blundering the 20XX series gives them some breathing room I guess. AMD also hasn't been really gunning for the laptop space.

I mean, Microcenter was selling 1700x for $100. It's $120 right now, everyday price. People seem to have forgotten what the CPU market was like when actual new stuff was coming out. Sandy was a significant gain over its predecessors, and the further back you look you have even larger leaps with crazier price decreases. AMD also seems to know they have only a brief window of advantage before Intel regains parity. It's not like the GPU market where massive memory increases result in huge manufacturing cost increases. There's no real cache war on CPUs unless you count threadripper having beastly cache, but that's a premium product.

edit: Oh, Navi. I don't care or follow Navi. When I want a new GPU I'll buy whatever is best price:performance (including price of electricity for 4 years after purchasing) at the price point I choose.On the desktop CPU front, I'm expecting AMD to go full throttle good-guy AMD for market share. They may also try that on the GPU front to try and get their brand as out there and adored as possible, but GPU pricing is tricky because memory is a gigantic factor for GPU cost.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 16, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Llamadeus posted:

Even there you see people pointing out that even if the company flagship only meets the 2070, they're not going to price it for 50% less than the 2070. 20% less, sure, but if people now pay $600 for what used to be a $300 card, you're not going to hold the line at $300.

People who think companies are their friends keep making it so.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
What’s the go-to ATX board for use with a Threadripper 1900x? I’m looking for stability and good memory compatibility. No plans on overclocking, but would like the option of dropping a 2nd gen cpu in it a year or so from now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

What's the go-to ATX board for use with a Threadripper 1900x? I'm looking for stability and good memory compatibility. No plans on overclocking, but would like the option of dropping a 2nd gen cpu in it a year or so from now.

(Disclaimer: Don't own/use a TR, just going off specs)
I would go for one of these second generation boards if you want that option, because they will probably be more stable power wise with second gen TR.

MSI's SLI Plus would probably be the best entry point, but if you have money (like $100 more) or just hate gamer RGB bling that much, the Gigabyte Designaire boards are pretty yet industrious-looking.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My 2950X works fine in the first gen X399 Taichi. Said board also officially lists ECC and has relevant BIOS options about it (the other boards), if you care about that.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I can't find an option on my Crosshair VII Hero to change which GPU is used to display the bootsplash/EFI. I got a secondary GPU to use as a host adaptor for virtualization stuff, and I want the boot stuff on that, ideally without moving my real GPU out of the slot that it's in currently, both for bandwidth reasons and because I don't think I could get the GPU's AIO tubing to work out like that. Does anyone know if there's some option that controls this, or am I poo poo out of luck?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Asus seems to have dropped the ball on that feature. My zenith extreme doesn't have it, which kinda screwed me over because I wanted to pass NUMA node 1 through to my VM but I'm forced to put the GPU on node 0.

There were pages in my BIOS that sounded like they were supposed to let me select the GPU but they did nothing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Zenith Extreme dropped a few balls. The most egregious is moving the PCIe slots so close to the socket.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Yeah I'm done with Asus garbage after this disaster. It came down to the Taichi or the zenith and ultimately I made the wrong choice. It took them over a month after the launch of the 2080ti to get the board working properly with those cards - using them in any kind of multi-GPU setup caused the board to fail to POST. From what I understand this was also a problem on Asus' other x399 boards. I actually ordered a Taichi to replace it but the fix came out with enough time to cancel the order. If not for needing to pull apart my water loop I'd still have replaced it.

I do have headers for temperature probes, at least.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Craptacular! posted:

Even there you see people pointing out that even if the company flagship only meets the 2070, they're not going to price it for 50% less than the 2070. 20% less, sure, but if people now pay $600 for what used to be a $300 card, you're not going to hold the line at $300.

People who think companies are their friends keep making it so.

I think it's all dependent on die size vs performance really. People constantly bring up the HD 4870 vs GTX 280 as a comparison but then forget AMD got away with that because they were using
1) A smaller node
2) A much refined uarch
3) Utilized GDDR5 which allowed them to use half the bus width the GT200 series needed since they stuck with GDDR3.
4) AMD still charged 70% of the price for 90% of the performance, not 50% the price for 100% the performance.

If you want a comparison of what AMD could achieve on a similar node, look at the HD2900 and note that it wasn't extraordinarily smaller than the GT280 die, especially considering the performance delta.

Also, I know the rumors say AMD will switch to the RX 30X0 naming scheme but that's dumb because even if AMD is trying to pull a gently caress you to Nvidia, one Nvidia will promptly ignore it, two it compares too directly with Nvidia's line up and makes the AMD cards worse, and RTX vs RX is confusing and like GTX vs GT makes the RX cards sound inferior automatically. I think they'll stick to RX 600 for now.

I think the biggest advance AMD could do for Navi is moving to 8 shader engines, then strip Navi 10 and 12 of almost all compute functionality higher than single precision.

My guess is Navi 10 is 64CU, 8 shader engines, 256 bit, GDDR6 die while Navi 12 is 36CU, 4 shader engines, 128 bit, GDDR6 die. Most performance mostly coming from increased clockspeeds due to new node, and better utilization of shader resources, and yes I think Navi 10 XT will compete with the RTX 2080. Honestly, there really is nowhere else for AMD to go. I also think AMD will scavenge everything they can from Navi 10 and Navi 12, so expect a 6 card line up from RX 690 to RX 640, with the Navi coming much later as a compute/ML/AI/DC focused replacement for Vega 20. The follow up Antares in late 2020 will be the full blown competitor to Nvidia's 7nm 3000/4000 cards and utilize TSMC 7nm+.

And yea for something CPU related, I bet it'll totally cap out at 16CU for Navi APUs in Q32019, so maybe AMD intends something like

R5 3600G: Navi 16
R5 3400G: Navi 14
R3 3300G: Navi 12
R3 3200G: Navi 10

Insert 12nm APUs
Athlon 340G: Vega 10
Athlon 330G: Vega 8
Athlon 320GE: Vega 8
Athlon 300GE: Vega 6

And further cuts to 3000 Navi APUs (Navi 8 or Navi 6 for instance) would instead go to mobile?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Seamonster posted:

I meant they (9900k) are actually available for purchase and people do buy them, high pricing and all. Perhaps not the best cross section for the general public but there are people in the GPU thread with them already. Those guys will decidedly NOT be getting an 8c/16t 5.0G AMD part to replace it, that's all.

Consider though all of the people who balk at the price of the 9900k (and RTX, for that matter) but want something new e.g. those still clinging to Sandy-Haswell 4c/8t products. They are many and may be quite tempted by an 8c/16t or perhaps 12c/24t with that sort of clock and that does not happen to be an open campfire under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What I want is a mobile 2c/4t Ryzen with as many Vega cores as possible crammed in alongside it for mobile gaming, something that could fit into a 3DS/GPDWin like formfactor.