Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Real excited for studios to bash any fun or originality out of the burgeoning Unfriended Cinematic Universe (UCU). Can't wait for Unfriended 6 where the movie takes place entirely in an open Amazon Kindle video assistant screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Franchescanado posted:

I laughed at a lot of moments, but not that moment.

You monster.

Unfortunately the audience I was with didn’t buy in to the movie so there was a lot of laughter during that film.
That’s the thing about films like Hereditary and The Witch, at surface level they come across as a bit silly but if you let yourself engage they’re loving terrifying.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Real excited for studios to bash any fun or originality out of the burgeoning Unfriended Cinematic Universe (UCU). Can't wait for Unfriended 6 where the movie takes place entirely in an open Amazon Kindle video assistant screen.

The the crossover battle we've all been waiting for, Unfriended vs VHS

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Untrustable posted:

that would own though?

I want Unfriended on tons of stuff. Holy poo poo a horror movie entirely on dash cam would kick so much rear end

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ok so hear me out. Unfriended 3. It's some teens talking on Skype or whatever and one of them is like, "Hey I just got a link to a weird video", and sends it to all of them. The video? Thering.mov

Best crossover. The movie then follows them through their seven days but only shown through Skype chats, video calls on their phones, and CCTV cameras.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I want Unfriended on tons of stuff. Holy poo poo a horror movie entirely on dash cam would kick so much rear end
You can watch this for free, courtesy of Russia.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Has there been a found footage horror movie done entirely through police bodycam? I feel like there's potential there. End of Watch does not count.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In that case your problem is that nothing you do will be as viscerally terrifying as the best known police bodycam videos.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A police body cam film about the start of a zombie outbreak would be amazing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Has there been a found footage horror movie done entirely through police bodycam? I feel like there's potential there. End of Watch does not count.

Fear Footage (2018). It's actually got pretty decent reviews too.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Fear Footage (2018). It's actually got pretty decent reviews too.

I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the heads up.

In other news I still haven't watched As Above, So Below. One day I will tho. One day.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Maniac Cop remake shot entirely through the titular cops body cam.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Untrustable posted:

I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the heads up.

In other news I still haven't watched As Above, So Below. One day I will tho. One day.

It looks like it's only making festival rounds right now, but I'm sure it'll get picked up by Shudder or Netflix sooner rather than later.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kinda like Maniac but with a cop and-

Oh poo poo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FreudianSlippers posted:

lmao yeah I've been to Boston, what of it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

It would be neat to see you try to match some of the cinematography from it. Bit different than the neon stuff you normally do, which is awesome.

The problem with this is I don’t have any lights besides red, blue and purple. So hopefully I can get some more for a Christmas present from the folks. Once I have a larger lighting palette I can really play with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OldTennisCourt posted:

Unfriended: Dark Web was both one of the dumbest and most fun movies of 2018. Also creepy as gently caress sometimes. I really hope we get more Unfriended movies and the next one focuses on creeps on Tinder and stuff :allears:
:same:

It was so much better than the first it's not even close

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The problem with this is I don’t have any lights besides red, blue and purple.

"Are you boys cooking in there?!"

"No..."

"Are you making Inferno themed photoshoots?!"

"N-no!!!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
No horror movie has made use of Tinder/Grindr’s location services. Wanna see some similar to the scene in Aliens with the motion sensor, “they’re right on top of us!”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Coffee And Pie posted:

No horror movie has made use of Tinder/Grindr’s location services. Wanna see some similar to the scene in Aliens with the motion sensor, “they’re right on top of us!”

Grindr location services are not accurate like at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Yours keeps sending me to the hospital it's weird

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

But what if it's haunted Grindr?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My grindr is already haunted with people I've ghosted

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Burkion posted:

Yours keeps sending me to the hospital it's weird

Most dates with me end up sending you to the hospital too.

Because of injuries caused by my magnum dong. :whatup:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hollismason posted:

And ghosts can’t make me stick my dick in a blender over Skype. It’s fiction.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ruddiger posted:

I made a calavera Jason mask for Halloween a few years ago.

This is extremely cool. Did you paint the entire thing, using a random mask as a base?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm sure Nicholas Cage will scale back and do something less insane after Mand....

quote:

" I wear a skintight black leather jumpsuit with grenades attached to different body parts, and if I don’t rescue the governor’s daughter from this state line where they’re all ghosts and bring her back they’re gonna blow me up.”

It's Sion Sono's English-language debut

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The director of Suicide Circle and Cold Fish?

I hope Nic Cage keeps this streak up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The director of Suicide Circle and Cold Fish?

I hope Nic Cage keeps this streak up.

And TAG and Why Don't You Play In Hell, etc. I don't think there's a more eclectic filmmaker working today, and IMO, he's stuck the landing every time.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I’m here for literally every Nic Cage movie. Good, bad, doesn’t loving matter. Nic Cage owns.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Here's a recommendation post!

Animal attack horror is one of my favorite subgenres because there’s a lot of room for fun in the standard formula. These movies can work with a fairly wide range of characters and environments, too. The man vs. nature themes often extend into environmental issues or scientific screw-ups, and since the basic situations are ridiculous to start with, they can get a little silly without necessarily going full horror-comedy.

The classics tend to become crossover hits, so nobody needs me to tell them to go watch The Birds or Lake Placid or Deep Blue Sea. But here are a few other animal attack movies that are probably worth your time:

Razorback (1984)
The director, Russell Mulcahy, is best known for Highlander and Highlander II, but his background in music videos shows right from the start, when he makes a dusty rural farm attack look artsy. The main story is about an investigative reporter who runs into trouble, and that leads her fiancee to a confrontation with both a giant boar and some dodgy local meat-packers. It’s got some harsh moments and a great overall atmosphere.

Slugs (1988)
If you only try one thing on this list, make it Slugs. It’s from the director of Pieces, so it has a similar mix of gore and dark comedy. The mutant slugs are only really dangerous in large numbers, which means that a chunk of the carnage comes from human stupidity. That seems to annoy some viewers, but to me the poor decisions and wild overreactions are all part of the fun. Slugs has melting teenagers, a memorable business dinner, and a city official that refuses to shut down the beaches water supply while telling the hero, “You ain’t got the authority to declare Happy Birthday! Not in this town!”

Bait (2012)
Once you get past its “sharks in a grocery store” premise, Bait is really enjoyable. It’s predictable but also satisfying, like the Stupid Shark Movie equivalent of a straightforward slasher flick. It’s also more technically competent than you’d expect for this kind of thing; it’s got an interesting look that kept me engaged even during the slower scenes. My favorite part involves the improvised bite-proof suit that lets the heroine’s pointless new boyfriend take one for the team.

White Dog (1982)
Animal attack films often focus on neglect, abuse, or unintended consequences, but what if that violence wasn’t an unwanted trait? This Samuel Fuller movie gives us a typical killer-pet setup that takes a dramatic turn once we learn that the dog was specifically trained to attack black people. Then the whole tone changes while the leads struggle with whether it’s possible to retrain the dog. It’s got some great parts, including a Burl Ives rant about R2D2, but it also has a scene that was among the most difficult things I’ve ever watched in a movie. (Some reviews of the movie seem to consider the racial violence angle as a spoiler, but personally I'm not comfortable sending folks in blind to something this emotionally charged.) The Ennio Morricone score is memorable, too.

Roar (1981)
In terms of story, character, and pacing, Roar is terrible, but watching it is a unique experience once you learn that plenty of the blood on the screen is real. Noel Marshall and Tippi Hedren raised big cats in their real-life home so they could have enough lions to make this movie. They also used tigers and other cats that aren’t native to Africa, the film’s setting. It took 11 years to make and 70 people were reportedly injured in the process, including Marshal’s sons and Hedren’s daughter, Melanie Griffith, who needed 50 stitches after being clawed in the face. The story involves a lot of hiding in cupboards and barrels, but by the end the characters play happily with the lions that menaced them. This whole thing is somehow meant to be a message about conservation.

Rats: Night of Terror (1984)
Rats is an Italian trash film that lands in so-bad-it’s-great territory. It’s about a post-apocalyptic biker gang that stumbles over an empty research outpost created by more technologically advanced survivors, and the place is infested with rats that start picking them off. One of the bikers takes advantage of the uncertainty to pursue his own goals, but most of them are endearingly supportive of one another and are shaken when their friends start getting rat-murdered. The shocking twist ending is dumb as hell and also perfect.

Others Worth Mentioning:
Orca (1977) is a Jaws imitator that features long, emotional shots of the title character’s tears. Piranha (1978) and most of its various sequels and remakes are a good time (with the exception of 3DD). Piranha II: The Spawning (1982) is a beautiful cheese-fest that's James Cameron's directorial debut. The Swarm (1978) is a killer bee movie that played nonstop on TCM in the 90s, but looking up the release year surprised me because it has the feel of a movie ten years older. I like Python (2000) too, and I promise that’s not just based on my unreasonable love of Casper Van Dien. If you want to watch Leslie Nielsen play a shithead (and have a tolerance for a few too many nature documentary shots), try Day of the Animals (1977), from the same director as that Jaws-as-a-bear flick, Grizzly (1976). And if you liked Stephen King’s rabid-dog-meets-soap-opera, Cujo (1983), that director’s first killer-animal flick was Alligator (1980). I don't tend to think of supernatural animals as belonging in this category, but Zombeavers (2014) is still a solid “stupid movie and beer night” pick (yes, really). If you'd prefer to mix your decent-when-drunk movie with a heaping dose of nostalgia, Shakma (1990) is a violent but poorly paced story about LARPers getting attacked by a drugged-up monkey. Shark Night (2011) is not a movie that makes any sense at all, but it was worth it for the experience of dragging a bunch of friends to the theater to see it for my birthday and then having this ridiculous rap video come up after the credits. And while SyFy Original Movies are mostly hot garbage, Dinocroc (2004) was memorable for not pulling its punches.

Between The Meg, The Shallows, and 47 Meters Down, we've seen a resurgence in big-screen shark movies in the last couple of years. Hopefully other critters won't be far behind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:siren:

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1073264456140898306

:siren:

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt who dont think the Santa episode is the best tales from the crypt one

id also accept the one with bill paxton and brad dourif

The best episode is the pilot or the Bobcat Goldwaith one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

deety posted:

Razorback (1984)
The director, Russell Mulcahy, is best known for Highlander and Highlander II, but his background in music videos shows right from the start, when he makes a dusty rural farm attack look artsy. The main story is about an investigative reporter who runs into trouble, and that leads her fiancee to a confrontation with both a giant boar and some dodgy local meat-packers. It’s got some harsh moments and a great overall atmosphere.

This movie is stunning visually.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i just wanna say that if anyone gets a chance to see Carpenter Brut live, do it, and pay attention to the video background

he uses a lot of clips that I think people in this thread would appreciate, I got there late but I spotted at least one bit from Pieces

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like once you've seen Roar, you're spoiled for animal attack movies after that. Nothing is ever going to stack up to the pure hell insanity of that production, or at least that was my experience. How can you go back to CG animals, or even ones done with practical effects, after watching those real-rear end untamed lions go buckwild on Melanie Griffith and her family?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

We also have a plot bite. "A family goes to a beach house with no electronics in order to unwind and some strangers arrive."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anyone here ever seen Burning Bright? It's a horror/thriller about a woman trapped in a house with a Bengal Tiger, I've read some good things about it but never had the chance to see it. It's a paid rental right now in Amazon.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like once you've seen Roar, you're spoiled for animal attack movies after that. Nothing is ever going to stack up to the pure hell insanity of that production, or at least that was my experience. How can you go back to CG animals, or even ones done with practical effects, after watching those real-rear end untamed lions go buckwild on Melanie Griffith and her family?
I watched it at a midnight screening so maybe my memory of it isn’t the best, but I remember it being fairly slow and kinda boring.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

OldTennisCourt posted:

A police body cam film about the start of a zombie outbreak would be amazing.

the most fascist movie premise possible

deety posted:

Roar (1981)
In terms of story, character, and pacing, Roar is terrible, but watching it is a unique experience once you learn that plenty of the blood on the screen is real. Noel Marshall and Tippi Hedren raised big cats in their real-life home so they could have enough lions to make this movie. They also used tigers and other cats that aren’t native to Africa, the film’s setting. It took 11 years to make and 70 people were reportedly injured in the process, including Marshal’s sons and Hedren’s daughter, Melanie Griffith, who needed 50 stitches after being clawed in the face. The story involves a lot of hiding in cupboards and barrels, but by the end the characters play happily with the lions that menaced them. This whole thing is somehow meant to be a message about conservation.

Don’t forget the DP, Jan de Bont, got his scalp lifted during this movie. He later went on to shoot Die Hard and direct Speed and Twister. Roar is a genuinely baffling movie and it needs to be seen to be believed.

deety posted:

Rats: Night of Terror (1984)
Rats is an Italian trash film that lands in so-bad-it’s-great territory. It’s about a post-apocalyptic biker gang that stumbles over an empty research outpost created by more technologically advanced survivors, and the place is infested with rats that start picking them off. One of the bikers takes advantage of the uncertainty to pursue his own goals, but most of them are endearingly supportive of one another and are shaken when their friends start getting rat-murdered. The shocking twist ending is dumb as hell and also perfect.

I saw this one with Lowtax :cool:

david_a posted:

I watched it at a midnight screening so maybe my memory of it isn’t the best, but I remember it being fairly slow and kinda boring.

It is, it’s a bad movie but the fact that animals are actually attacking people makes it a special, one-of-a-kind film experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

the most fascist movie premise possible

I was gonna say, just the perspective we need on an uprising of the poor: a cop’s