Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That was way too many quotation marks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ohma suddenly being capable of beating fang despite apparently losing his memory in this flashback seems unlikely but whatever

Can't believe nobody commented on the fact setsuna used his flashback to give ohmas his

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Jose posted:

Ohma suddenly being capable of beating fang despite apparently losing his memory in this flashback seems unlikely but whatever

Can't believe nobody commented on the fact setsuna used his flashback to give ohmas his

Clearly, he learned it after his defeat at Gensai's hands.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also speaking as someone who has experienced tachycardia twice to the point I had to get cardioversion- it just kinda made me feel like I was dying instead of giving me badass superpowers

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They harness the power of dying to stop giving a gently caress and go all out, and the end result is they die faster. It's fairly lovely as far as power-ups go.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a reason Niko wanted Ohma to stop using Advance.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
There's no way the anime is gonna be decent. It's not like One Piece where some episodes can be done on the cheap. There's so much detail in the Kengan Ashura fights that once the tournament starts, nearly ever episode needs to be high quality or it will just drag on, look silly and be disappointing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean it's also cg so there's that

i'm only optimistic because Seiji Kishi seems to genuinely love the series/martial arts in general so he'll definitely be trying his hardest with it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
KA has got to be one of the worst possible series to convert to CG since so much of the fights are dudes blurring, stretching, and contorting.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If the CG is anything like the fights in the Baki Netflix series, it'll look like trash.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I really want the anime to be good, but I have little hope for it. CG fight scenes HAVE been improving over time, very slowly, but mostly with mecha stuff.

Also Daroemon should really stop beating himself up about his art, he's seriously great at it, Kengan Ashura looks better than most every other manga I follow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gensai gets a cover

https://mangadex.org/chapter/499891/1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

Why do you say he lost his memory this flashback? If anything he seems to be remembering more things.

Very cool, very good first page

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Why do you say he lost his memory this flashback? If anything he seems to be remembering more things.

Very cool, very good first page

Im assuming Nikos death happens very close to what goes down in this chapter and ohmas memory has been hosed since

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

TONIGHT, ON KENGAN ASURA: PREVIOUSLY, ON KENGAN ASURA

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One of the chapters is called substitution. Could they actually be using it!?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

One of the chapters is called substitution. Could they actually be using it!?

NO

"That technique" is F O R B I D D E N

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So what are the chances the tiger vessel is just a fancy name for ohma knowing the secret Niko style technique that new Niko doesn't know

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

So what are the chances the tiger vessel is just a fancy name for ohma knowing the secret Niko style technique that new Niko doesn't know

I mean from the titles of possessing spirit and tiger vessel I think he just wants Ohma dead so he can harvest his organs.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

I really want the anime to be good, but I have little hope for it. CG fight scenes HAVE been improving over time, very slowly, but mostly with mecha stuff.

Also Daroemon should really stop beating himself up about his art, he's seriously great at it, Kengan Ashura looks better than most every other manga I follow.

KA looks phenomenal for a weekly series.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I really like Wakatsuki as a fighter. As a character and a gimmick, yeah sure he's a bit milquetoast, but the way his fights have been written he goes from 0 to 100 from the word "GO" (and in the Muteba fight, like a fraction of a second before) and I really enjoy that energy. It contrasts nicely with the side chapters and Kengan Asura Zero of him just accidentally breaking poo poo and people while young which I imagine would be the driving force for him exerting extreme control over his strenght. And then an official sanctioned match lets him go full bore loose.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've liked him ever since he was so nervous about his first fight even though it was a walk in the park for him. he's very conscientious. it's cool

e: also his hair is very hot now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I want Gensai to win the whole thing. He's been my favorite the whole time. I like all of the top 4 except Wakatsuki, who just seems like a guy (julius was robbed).

I actually like Agito because he's a fundamentally silly person. He's been beating people down his whole life with his enormous physique and thought his useless "formless" fighting style was the key to his success. He finally reached a level where he had to drop it and is having way less fun now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

No Wave posted:

I want Gensai to win the whole thing. He's been my favorite the whole time. I like all of the top 4 except Wakatsuki, who just seems like a guy (julius was robbed).

I actually like Agito because he's a fundamentally silly person. He's been beating people down his whole life with his enormous physique and thought his useless "formless" fighting style was the key to his success. He finally reached a level where he had to drop it and is having way less fun now.

Agito's Formless style was considered legit terrifying and a huge reason why he's been an undefeated monster who no one could ever touch at this point. It's not him clowning around, he really is good enough to ape his opponent on the fly and surpass them with their own techniques against literally anyone he has ever fought except for the superstar omega masters of their craft in this tournament - and he still beat Okubo, the best public MMA guy on the planet, and Gaolang, the best boxer on the planet and a Muay Thai master, using Formless. Calling it "useless" is a pretty huge stretch. The only reason he decided to abandon it was that the win it gave him wasn't enough to satisfy his pride as the Fang, not because he couldn't continue winning with it for the foreseeable future.

Ironically what he's doing now is depending more on his physical abilities than Formless, since now he's just relying on having superhuman reflexes and anticipation to simply hit the opponent before they can attack.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think using formless was always holding him back, it was a silly thing he stuck with because it felt badass and he could get away with it. He found it really fun which is why he always made that goofy rear end face when he felt like he was leveling up with it. It looks like others around him knew this for a while - Metsudo and the Fang candidate both knew this day would come eventually but he'd have to be pushed hard to really believe it. I think it's also why the fang candidate guy was concerned if the Agito would actually come out stronger from dropping it given how personally important it was to Agito and how so much of why he enjoyed fighting was framed around evolution.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Formless style as he was using it, that is fight a guy until you learn to perform his fighting style and then beat him at his own game, was silly thing that held him back. Formless style used at its full potential, as in Fang being a master at pretty much every fighting style and seamlessly switching between them according to what is most advantageous in a given situation is crazy strong and it was how Fang managed to defeat Gao-lang. Fang just won't use it in that way because he is a dumb-rear end and considers it cheating and was disgusted with himself that he was forced it use that way to defeat Gao-lang, which is why he rather switched styles than being forced to use the full potential of Formless style or lose.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The whole reaction time thing was why he had to drop formless entirely I thought.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

No Wave posted:

The whole reaction time thing was why he had to drop formless entirely I thought.

Yeah, as it turns out, when you stop trying to learn your opponents fighting style mid-fight and use the freed mental capacity to pay attention to actual fight instead, you reaction time and ability to predict your opponent increase, who would have thought. :v:

I mean its not like all the techniques he learn while using Formless style disappeared and he can never use them again. Or that he is somehow unable to use prediction of his opponent attack to perform throw instead of a punch. In-fact, I won't be surprised if combining his pre-counter with Formless style will be the way how he beats Gensai (if he beats Gensai).

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, as it turns out, when you stop trying to learn your opponents fighting style mid-fight and use the freed mental capacity to pay attention to actual fight instead, you reaction time and ability to predict your opponent increase, who would have thought. :v:

I mean its not like all the techniques he learn while using Formless style disappeared and he can never use them again. Or that he is somehow unable to use prediction of his opponent attack to perform throw instead of a punch. In-fact, I won't be surprised if combining his pre-counter with Formless style will be the way how he beats Gensai (if he beats Gensai).

The way the manga describes it Fang abandoned formless so that he would have less possible moves and thus react faster not because of the copying.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Agito's reason for fighting was his formless style. He was fundamentally fighting for himself, he loved doing it, but eventually learned that he was on a fool's errand. When he dropped formless he had to find a new reason to fight and beat people down, and I think his new motivation is to fulfill his duty as the Fang. I think that's what was meant by the bit where he felt he could finally call himself the Fang - he's entirely devoted to that, it's his purpose now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 15, 2018

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

fabiopenz posted:

The way the manga describes it Fang abandoned formless so that he would have less possible moves and thus react faster not because of the copying.

Yeah, I reread Hatsumi's fight and you are right. Now I'm annoyed that the manga frames it as the reason he gained his foresight was sacrificing his flexibility and reducing the number of possible moves he makes, when he was using Formless only to mimic his opponent style and thus not really being very flexible anyway. Nor was he always thinking about hundreds of possible moves he can make because the manga was pretty explicit that his mental process was - what is my opponent using? -> use that but better. :v:

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
The fang is cool its just that he has become somewhat less cool as the manga progresses, rather than more cool like gensai, and its kind of a bummer

Aug 24, 2011

gensai opponent 1: "check out my gimmick!"
gensai: "you're weak"

gensai opponent 2: "check out MY gimmick!"
gensai: "you suck"

gensai opponent 3: "now the REAL gimmick begins!"
gensai: "you suck too"

fang: "i stopped using my gimmick"
gensai: "here we go"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"but gensai you also have a gimmick"
"shut up or i'll shiv your rear end tyvm"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gensai's gimmick is being really good at karate

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gensai's gimmick is being really good at karate

also that his hands are shivs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He doesn't use them as such all the time though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hand hardening is an old karate cliche, but i don't think anyone actually does it. still, for exaggerated anime karate it's pretty standard.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter's out - https://mangadex.org/chapter/500660/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

i feel like this fight would be better suited to a series of "what-if" side chapters, where we would get interesting fights like setsuna vs muteba (guy who moves when you blink vs guy who doesn't need to blink) or cosmo vs julius (david vs goliath) or jun vs seki (face vs heel)

instead i'm just waiting for it to end