Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

following up on long shipping, does anyone have experience with pre-ordering from mechanicalkeyboards.com? how good at the turn around from getting their shipment in and fulfilling your order are they usually? I think the ducky keyboard I got should be arriving to them as soon as tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
god damnit my key switch tester came in and I really like the the "bounciness" of the black switch. The clear feels fine too, but i'm starting to think that maybe I don't like the bump? I guess that opens up a lot more doors, which is a good thing and bad thing because I thought I was finally narrowing it all down.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Not really what you want to hear, but switch testers don't really help too much in ultimately determining your preference.

The switch might feel good on its own, but once you have a keyboard full of those switches, you might not like it as much.

There's no real good solution to this other than buying and building a bunch of keyboards, and hopefully being able to return or resell them as you figure out what you really prefer.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah I figured. I dunno. I’m kinda set on the blacks because with my old Das brown, the sound of bottoming out still made the keyboard loud. It was nearly impossible to train my fingers to only apply actuation force.

I’ve sorta entertained the idea of buying two first picks and returning the one I preferred least. That’s if I go the amazon route at least.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I think my CTRL is starting to give double inputs. It's happening randomly, and I honestly can't always tell if it isn't just me, but is this a thing that could potentially be software related if it was the keyboard messing up, or would I be looking into RMA after confirming without a doubt it isn't just me double tapping when I shouldn't.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
That's called key chatter and most likely an issue with your switches and not the keyboard/PCB.

Use Switch Hitter to determine which switches are chattering.

https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php

Good news is that you have a hotswappable keyboard, so you can just get new switches and put them in place. Bad news is that if they're Halo switches, I don't think Massdrop sells them in anything less than 70 switches per order.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Constellation I posted:

That's called key chatter and most likely an issue with your switches and not the keyboard/PCB.

Use Switch Hitter to determine which switches are chattering.

https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php

Good news is that you have a hotswappable keyboard, so you can just get new switches and put them in place. Bad news is that if they're Halo switches, I don't think Massdrop sells them in anything less than 70 switches per order.

This is it, thank you! I do have the Halo Trues, so i'll just swap them with the mostly unused function / navigation keys for now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

buglord posted:

Yeah I figured. I dunno. I’m kinda set on the blacks because with my old Das brown, the sound of bottoming out still made the keyboard loud. It was nearly impossible to train my fingers to only apply actuation force.

I bottom out with Browns but not with Clears, the extra actuation force on them makes a lot of difference because it ramps up steeply after the bump. My Filco Majestouch with Browns types significantly louder than my CODE with Clears (which I love).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think I might have posted about this six months ago or something, but it being Christmas season in the US, if you know anyone who's mech keyboard curious, the Tecware Phantom is a very, very respectable babby's first mechanical keyboard for $45. Very solid construction for the price, oetemu switches that feel better to type on than other oetemus I've tried (presumably because of the aforementioned better construction), there are a bazillion backlight pattern/color combos if you care about that (I don't and just leave it on solid white, but it's there), and they even throw in a cap puller and a couple extra switches (a rarity for cheap keebs).

The keycaps are ugly as hell, but pretty durable if you don't mind the look. They don't go slippery and shiny after 4 days of heavy use like a lot of cheap keyboards' caps do. All in all it's the best keyboard I've ever seen under $50 by far.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think I might have posted about this six months ago or something, but it being Christmas season in the US, if you know anyone who's mech keyboard curious, the Tecware Phantom is a very, very respectable babby's first mechanical keyboard for $45. Very solid construction for the price, oetemu switches that feel better to type on than other oetemus I've tried (presumably because of the aforementioned better construction), there are a bazillion backlight pattern/color combos if you care about that (I don't and just leave it on solid white, but it's there), and they even throw in a cap puller and a couple extra switches (a rarity for cheap keebs).

The keycaps are ugly as hell, but pretty durable if you don't mind the look. They don't go slippery and shiny after 4 days of heavy use like a lot of cheap keyboards' caps do. All in all it's the best keyboard I've ever seen under $50 by far.

Outemu brown is shockingly good for the price

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a cheap way to mod browns into feeling like clears? I bottom out my browns as well. At the least I want to get my spacebar heavier.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah when I bottom I tend to see a lot of brown too unless I’m thoroughly cleaned

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone have a Tada68 and use QMK macros? Whenever I try to add one it makes the whole keyboard stop working, I've followed both the NEW WAY and OLD WAY listed here: https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/features/feature_macros

e: I've also tried some of the user layouts from the qmk git repository and any of them that have a macro wont work.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

RME posted:

following up on long shipping, does anyone have experience with pre-ordering from mechanicalkeyboards.com? how good at the turn around from getting their shipment in and fulfilling your order are they usually? I think the ducky keyboard I got should be arriving to them as soon as tomorrow

I ordered a Leopold keyboard from Mechanical Keyboards earlier this year; the cargo shipment to them was delayed a few months, but once it was in their possession, they shipped it the same day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just got my third Durgod.

It's my second Nebula. The k320 is also a great keyboard.

(nevermind the CODE w/ clears on the right, that's just my work donkey)

Cherry Browns this time.

Pretty nice, but I think I like the non-led blacks (on the grey taurus) best so far.

All of them are phenomenal build quality though. The brown switches have a little more stem wiggle than the others but not that it's really noticeable or anything.
I love everything about how these boards are designed. It's the attention to detail that's really great. Nice rubber pads on each of the 3 different height adjustments, 3 pads across the front. Cable routing and usb-c cables. Hell, I even love the bevels around the indicator lights.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I use that same gray Taurus at work everyday, it's such a great board. I want to get that K320 for home too but there's nothing wrong really with my Corsair K70 :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Varg posted:

I use that same gray Taurus at work everyday, it's such a great board. I want to get that K320 for home too but there's nothing wrong really with my Corsair K70 :shrug:

Except that it's not a K320...
If it were me, I'd hop on another K320 the next time Massdrop has them, and kick that K70 to the curb or shove it in a box for a rainy day.

I mean, there's 'nothing really wrong' with any of the dozen or so rubberdome keyboards I have in a bin somewhere. Same goes for my Surface keyboard. Did that stop me from getting what I want? Hell no. Besides, it's always nice to have spares.
I just loaned my GMMK to an office-mate to introduce her to mech keys. I've got her on blues right now, but after a couple weeks I'll take the board home and swap them out for other switches based on her feedback. That's the beauty of that board. It's so easy to swap switches. That's why I bought it, so I can try out different sets without having to commit to a whole 'nother board.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

clockwork automaton posted:

I have a problem

What keyboard is this bottom one?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just got my third Durgod.

It's my second Nebula. The k320 is also a great keyboard.

(nevermind the CODE w/ clears on the right, that's just my work donkey)

Cherry Browns this time.

Pretty nice, but I think I like the non-led blacks (on the grey taurus) best so far.

All of them are phenomenal build quality though. The brown switches have a little more stem wiggle than the others but not that it's really noticeable or anything.
I love everything about how these boards are designed. It's the attention to detail that's really great. Nice rubber pads on each of the 3 different height adjustments, 3 pads across the front. Cable routing and usb-c cables. Hell, I even love the bevels around the indicator lights.

That Taurus board looks really nice. I found these on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/dur...2852709021.html

Are these legit? Because they look reasonably priced.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

buglord posted:

What keyboard is this bottom one?

That's almost definitely a K-Type. Not dark enough to be a CTRL. Those are aftermarket caps on it, but I don't know what set offhand. The default ones are white with transparent legends so the LEDs shine through.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Those are aftermarket caps on it, but I don't know what set offhand. The default ones are white with transparent legends so the LEDs shine through.

Looks like SA Ice Caps.

EDIT:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a cheap way to mod browns into feeling like clears? I bottom out my browns as well. At the least I want to get my spacebar heavier.

It won't really be close since the feel of Clears are due to the bump on the slider of the switch plus the spring. You can get replacement springs to make the browns a little heavier, but still won't really feel like Clears. Probably around 80g and up. I don't think it's worth the hassle though. mechanicalkeyboards.com and most of the US keyboard enthusiast sites sell them.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 15, 2018

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

G-Prime posted:

That's almost definitely a K-Type. Not dark enough to be a CTRL. Those are aftermarket caps on it, but I don't know what set offhand. The default ones are white with transparent legends so the LEDs shine through.

Correct the bottom one is the K-Type with SA Ice caps from PMK

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

So does someone manufacture God’s Own Keyboard - the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - with mechanical switches or what?

E: the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro would be a reasonable facsimile.

Junkiebev fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 16, 2018

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Junkiebev posted:

So does someone manufacture God’s Own Keyboard - the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - with mechanical switches or what?

Closest thing would be one of those split keyboard kits

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been away from the forums for a long while. In that time, I've fallen down the custom mechanical keyboard rabbit hole.

My custom PCBs for an ortholinear 4x16 board. The upper one is the one I'm typing this on, using a knockoff set of DSA Dolch caps and BOX Navy switches. I'm in the middle of assembling the bottom one, which uses Novelias (in case I have to work somewhere that people don't appreciate THE NOISE) and has a set of SP's G20 Semiotic Standard caps.

Run. Run from this place before you become as diseased as I. Growing an opinion about keyboards is a terrible thing.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 16, 2018

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

duckfarts posted:

Closest thing would be one of those split keyboard kits

The world is so corrupt...

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Junkiebev posted:

If you can deal with learning an unconventional ortholinear layout, the X-Bows is on sale currently. Other than that, ergo mechanicals seem to be the realm of high end customs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question for people that use 67 key boards or whatever the ones without the six keys on the top right. Do you ever miss the end/home/delete keys, assuming you used them in the first place? Or are the key combinations to do the same thing pretty easy? I’ve noticed myself using page up/down, home, and end a lot more now that I’ve started coding again, but OTOH if there’s some sort of function+ other button equivalent that’s even quicker that could end up being handy.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Does anyone know an alternative to a Leopold fc980m that has standard key sizes (esp. on the bottom row)? Asking because I like the layout but might wanna swap the caps.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
What's the consensus on the Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum board? I'm using Logitech everything else (mouse/headset/webcam), and keeping to one ecosystem would be nice. My current keyboard is a Gigabye Aivia Osmium, with Cherry MX Reds, and it's nice to type on, but pretty loud. How are the Romer-G switches in comparison?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Question for people that use 67 key boards or whatever the ones without the six keys on the top right. Do you ever miss the end/home/delete keys, assuming you used them in the first place? Or are the key combinations to do the same thing pretty easy? I’ve noticed myself using page up/down, home, and end a lot more now that I’ve started coding again, but OTOH if there’s some sort of function+ other button equivalent that’s even quicker that could end up being handy.

I just use these combinations usually:

Home: Fn + [
End: Fn + ]
Page Up: Fn + ;
Page Down: Fn + '
Delete: Fn + Backspace

The good thing with programmable keyboards is you can just set up whatever macros work for you, so it's all just preference and muscle memory really.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I use home/end/pu/pd as well as arrow all the time on my 60% board.

Just program them on a different layer just the way you want them.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
What everybody else said. I use a Pok3r at work, and the default layout on the function layer is so nice that I aped it on my CTRL and K-Type.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

G-Prime posted:

What everybody else said. I use a Pok3r at work, and the default layout on the function layer is so nice that I aped it on my CTRL and K-Type.

Yeah the pok3r layout ruined me and I now only use/buy programable keyboards that let me use the same layout. It really is awesome for coding to not have to take your hand off the home row to move around the code.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Lord Stimperor posted:

That Taurus board looks really nice. I found these on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/dur...2852709021.html

Are these legit? Because they look reasonably priced.

I found some cheaper on Ebay. Might be better?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DURGOD-Che...5.c100005.m1851

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

PgUp/PgDn/Delete sit between my 10key and my alpha cluster. Home, end, and insert are those same keys on the RAISE layer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Couldn't justify keeping the massdrop alt around and possibly getting destroyed so went back to a magicforce 68

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a couple of these for my computers for xmas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDN60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro L with full RGB. Not bad for what it is and the price. Also the fonts are pretty decent for a RGB board.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Been considering a mech for a while now and been eyeing the Logitech G413. Anything bad about it I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

beyonder posted:

Been considering a mech for a while now and been eyeing the Logitech G413. Anything bad about it I should know?

Why the g413? What is your budget? For a little more you can get the GMMK which has hot swap sockets. Its $110 /w brown switches and black caps

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized?variant=43940533710

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 17, 2018