Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh goddammit, Arrow...

Black Sunday
Donnie Darko (2 disc edition)
The Hills Have Eyes
The Story of Yonosuke
Tetsuo/Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer
Uzumasa Limelight
What Have You Done to Solange?
The Woodsman and the Rain
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
That Donnie Darko set is loving fantastic. I know people can be lovely abut DD, but there’s a lot of nostalgia w me and I think it’s a rad movie. Although the directors cut is definitely less good. Arrow did a bang up job though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I only own a few Arrow Films discs. Society, Creepshow 2, and A Fish Called Wanda. I also have Slugs because some guy in a flea market was selling it for three bucks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Mine are:

The Addiction
The Apartment (Limited Edition)
Audition (Steelbook)
Big Trouble in Little China
Black Society Trilogy
Blade of the Immortal (Steelbook)
Branded To Kill
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Limited Edition)
The 'Burbs
Candyman (Limited Edition)
Children of Men
The Conformist
Dark Water
The Day of the Jackal
Dead or Alive Trilogy
Dead-End Drive-In
A Fish Called Wanda
The Happiness of the Katakuris
Hellraiser Trilogy (Special Edition)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 version)
The Killing
The King of New York
The Long Good Friday (Steelbook)
Network
The Night of the Hunter
The People Under the Stairs
The Phantom of the Paradise (Steelbook)
Psycho II
Pulse
The Quiet Earth
Ronin
Runaway Train
Sleeping Dogs
Society
The Sorrow and the Pity
Thief (Limited Edition)
The Thing (Limited Edition)
The Third Murder
To Live and Die in LA
Twelve Monkeys
Videodrome
Vigil
The Villainess
Withnail and I
The Marx Brothers At Paramount set (Limited Edition)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually only own a single Arrow release, but I think it's one of their absolute best, Blood and Black Lace.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Mine are:

The Addiction
The Apartment (Limited Edition)
Audition (Steelbook)
Big Trouble in Little China
Black Society Trilogy
Blade of the Immortal (Steelbook)
Branded To Kill
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Limited Edition)
The 'Burbs
Candyman (Limited Edition)
Children of Men
The Conformist
Dark Water
The Day of the Jackal
Dead or Alive Trilogy
Dead-End Drive-In
A Fish Called Wanda
The Happiness of the Katakuris
Hellraiser Trilogy (Special Edition)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 version)
The Killing
The King of New York
The Long Good Friday (Steelbook)
Network
The Night of the Hunter
The People Under the Stairs
The Phantom of the Paradise (Steelbook)
Psycho II
Pulse
The Quiet Earth
Ronin
Runaway Train
Sleeping Dogs
Society
The Sorrow and the Pity
Thief (Limited Edition)
The Thing (Limited Edition)
The Third Murder
To Live and Die in LA
Twelve Monkeys
Videodrome
Vigil
The Villainess
Withnail and I
The Marx Brothers At Paramount set (Limited Edition)

What is it like being a millionaire?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you only buy stuff like Arrow or Criterion when it's 50% off, it's really not bad and then you do end up with a fairly large collection pretty quickly. I've been more into Criterion, and I don't think I've ever paid full price for one but just by picking 2 or 3 each sale I ended up with like 30-40 Criterions pretty quickly. There are a lot of sales if you include flash sales.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

If you only buy stuff like Arrow or Criterion when it's 50% off, it's really not bad and then you do end up with a fairly large collection pretty quickly. I've been more into Criterion, and I don't think I've ever paid full price for one but just by picking 2 or 3 each sale I ended up with like 30-40 Criterions pretty quickly. There are a lot of sales if you include flash sales.

I do often buy Criterions during those sales and really only buy them during sales, but I have so much poo poo already that I've been limiting myself. Especially since I don't have much room for the poo poo anymore and I really shouldn't be pissing the money away on it in the first place. The last couple Arrow discs I bought were because the store was going out of business and they were marked down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I do often buy Criterions during those sales and really only buy them during sales, but I have so much poo poo already that I've been limiting myself. Especially since I don't have much room for the poo poo anymore and I really shouldn't be pissing the money away on it in the first place. The last couple Arrow discs I bought were because the store was going out of business and they were marked down.

I'm basically at that point now too, which is nice. I have pretty much all of my "must buy" Criterions, so I really only buy them now if it's a recent release I'm interested in(Night of the Living Dead, Stalker, etc.)or maybe one a year just on a whim at a B&N. But for a while there I was buying a few Kurosawas every sale. But I'm not gonna keep buying and buying to build up a bigger Criterion collection just because.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I'm basically at that point now too, which is nice. I have pretty much all of my "must buy" Criterions, so I really only buy them now if it's a recent release I'm interested in(Night of the Living Dead, Stalker, etc.)or maybe one a year just on a whim at a B&N. But for a while there I was buying a few Kurosawas every sale. But I'm not gonna keep buying and buying to build up a bigger Criterion collection just because.

I also collect records and read comic books (as well as big people books with no pictures) so all my hobbies involve poo poo that just piles.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Home video is really my only hobby. It helps that 99% of the time I'm getting stuff from sales. I think I've splurged more recently because I had about a four year stretch where I was lucky to buy maybe 4-5 over an entire year for myself.

On top of that, I've wanted to support more boutique labels lately. I've only purchased six releases this year from the studios - half being UHD (Deadpool 1/2, The Dark Crystal, and 2001) plus Disney's Celebrating Mickey, Peter Pan: Signature Edition, and Universal's Complete Classic Monsters set. Meanwhile, I've picked up 20 of Criterion's releases for this year, 11 from Kino Lorber, 4 from Flicker Alley, 3 from Indicator, 2 from Warner Archive, and one each from Olive Films (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), Twilight Time (The Birth of a Nation), and BFI (It Happened Here).

And that's just stuff released this year, let alone stuff I've picked up from various sales from previous years.

By the way, apparently some French website leaked some 2019 4K releases including:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
The War of the Worlds (probably the Spielberg film, but the '53 Pal film is on iTunes in 4K HDR too)
Ben-Hur (1959)
Panic Room
Heat
Scarface (likely the DePalma remake, but the '32 Hawks film recently had a 4K restoration done too)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well I'm buying at least 4 of those. 2 for the second time. Lawrence of Arabia took forever to get a Blu-ray release, and now I'll probably replace it next year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I’ll get Lawrence in 4K, but just swapping cases/discs because I’ll never get rid of that amazing deluxe set.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If any of you want to complete your arrow collection and buy my Yakuza Papers boxset I’m selling them for $200 :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
The War of the Worlds (probably the Spielberg film, but the '53 Pal film is on iTunes in 4K HDR too)
Ben-Hur (1959)
Panic Room
Heat
Scarface (likely the DePalma remake, but the '32 Hawks film recently had a 4K restoration done too)

Yea I'm probably gonna end up with every one of these with the exception of Scarface. I bought that for $5 and I don't even really like it that much, don't feel the need to upgrade. Panic Room I don't own at all in any format and it's Fincher so why not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

That Donnie Darko set is loving fantastic. I know people can be lovely abut DD, but there’s a lot of nostalgia w me and I think it’s a rad movie. Although the directors cut is definitely less good. Arrow did a bang up job though.

Donnie Darko was one of my first forays into independent film, along with Memento. Maybe it isn't very good, but it will forever hold a special place in my heart, and I also believe that it was still peak Gyllenhall.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don’t think Panic Room ever got a blu-Ray release, so this is pretty big. I’m just a little upset to see Heat and Godfather on there. I just bought those! Whatever, they were dirt cheap.

While I’m here...
Kino are releasing Park Chan-wook’s Thirst in 2019

Vinegar Syndromes January titles are Uninvited, There’s Nothing Out There, Splatter University and A Climax of Blue Power.

Shout (via the Shout Select line) has Ned Kelly, Someone to Watch Over Me, Born in East LA, Brighton Beach Memoirs, and Kalifornia in March.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 14, 2018

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

I imagine it's like this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cloks posted:

Tag yourself

I’m suicide squad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Lol, I bought the entire DC universe to torture myself over Christmas.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Donnie Darko was one of my first forays into independent film, along with Memento. Maybe it isn't very good, but it will forever hold a special place in my heart, and I also believe that it was still peak Gyllenhall.

I had a cool older cousin that showed me Clerks when I was way too young to be watching Clerks, also in a similar fashion my dad let me watch Pulp Fiction under the agreement that I was not to tell my mother he let me watch Pulp Fiction.

And I have to ask if you've just never seen Nightcrawler or Enemy.

Cloks posted:

Did this lunatic organize these by the Criterion spine number?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Did this lunatic organize these by the Criterion spine number?

Do you not?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Do you not?

I'm autistic, but I'm not that autistic.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I used to organize my movies by the mood they put me in, so I can't really judge.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are there many examples of directors cuts making the film worse? Donnie Darko and the Warriors are the only two that come to mind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are there many examples of directors cuts making the film worse? Donnie Darko and the Warriors are the only two that come to mind.

The term "director's cut" has been completely ruined by it being used as a marketing gimmick to sell DVDs. Previously it was meant to identify a version of the film that better reflects the director's intention after it had been heavily interfered with by the studio or the ratings board. I don't know about Donnie Darko, but in the case of the Warriors that was not a true director's cut. Though as far as I know Donnie Darko was basically the same thing where the director went back and threw in a bunch of deleted scenes or something because the film was a big hit on video and they more or less wanted to milk the cash cow a little more. If this is the case then it's also not a true director's cut.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

The term "director's cut" has been completely ruined by it being used as a marketing gimmick to sell DVDs. Previously it was meant to identify a version of the film that better reflects the director's intention after it had been heavily interfered with by the studio or the ratings board. I don't know about Donnie Darko, but in the case of the Warriors that was not a true director's cut. Though as far as I know Donnie Darko was basically the same thing where the director went back and threw in a bunch of deleted scenes or something because the film was a big hit on video and they more or less wanted to milk the cash cow a little more. If this is the case then it's also not a true director's cut.

No doubt. But that's kind of what I'm talking about, for lack of a better term.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I, uh... I'm fairly sure both are true director's cuts, it's just that they're cases where the director had fairly bad ideas. Donnie Darko's DC is basically re-edited to make the movie more coherent, with the key problem being that it's not actually that interesting in that form; essentially, it was saved by loving it in the first place. The Warriors, meanwhile, has almost no actual different footage, but has those stupid comic book transitions added in, which I gather actually were Walter Hill's idea.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 14, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

No doubt. But that's kind of what I'm talking about, for lack of a better term.

I would say Alien kind of counts. The cocooning scene is interesting but it really hurts momentum the film builds up at that point. It's also called a "director's cut" despite Ridley Scott outright saying that the original theatrical version of the movie is absolutely his intended version of the film and the later cut was just for the hell of it because Fox approached the makers of all of the movies to make "director's cuts" for a then new DVD box set. Incidentally Fincher basically told them to go screw because they hosed with him and Alien 3 so much that he didn't even get to shoot a lot of the stuff which would have made up his true director's cut. But anyway. the "director's cut" of Alien isn't significantly worse for the addition of that deleted scene it just hurts the pacing near the end of the movie (which is why it was originally cut). I've never watched the extended version of Aliens but it's basically another case of "they threw in some deleted scenes and called it a director's cut". I can't think of too many that were out ruined by this sort of thing mostly it just hurts the pacing and makes the movie bloated. The one thing I will say is that there is a third version of Terminator 2 with an alternate ending that is godawful. The second version (called the special edition) of the movie is basically the same thing but with the ending from the theatrical cut and one less scene which shows the T-1000 searching John's bedroom. In both cases it's easy to see why they cut what they cut, especially since the released version is already over two hours long. Some of it's interesting but all of it is unnecessary.

This was the original ending to Terminator 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEpjgFZpAt0

Thankfully someone realized it was a good idea to change it before the movie came out.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 14, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Lizard Combatant posted:

The longer version of Cinema Paradiso was considered to be worse when it came out in the early 2000s. Although that's a weird case where the US distributor cut down the movie and the re-release added them back in addition to more scenes. Apocalypse Now Redux is usually considered worse, as is the version of Close Encounters where you see the inside of the ship. Also, the cut of ET where he's CG and the 2000 cut of the Exorcist.

I'm not sure if there's a consensus on it or not, but I think the Donner cut of Superman 2 is a significantly worse movie than the original.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CPL593H posted:

Oh, I got these over a prolonged period of time. Some, I was lucky to be able to nab.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That extended cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a colossal waste of time and the only version widely available for a decade. Ditto with The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen and Apocalypse Now: Redux. The early-mid 2000s were full of this bullshit thanks to the success of DVD. Hell, you still can't get the right cut of Once Upon a Time in the West.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not that Terminator Salvation was a good movie as is, but the "director's cut" only adds something like 40 seconds, and it's just Moon Bloodgood showing her boobs. The director, who insists on going by a stupid acronym which I refuse to use, had a press conference about it. He got up on stage next to her and excitedly asked "Who here wants to see Moon's tits?"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

I would say Alien kind of counts. The cocooning scene is interesting but it really hurts momentum the film builds up at that point. It's also called a "director's cut" despite Ridley Scott outright saying that the original theatrical version of the movie is absolutely his intended version of the film and the later cut was just for the hell of it because Fox approached the makers of all of the movies to make "director's cuts" for a then new DVD box set. Incidentally Fincher basically told them to go screw because they hosed with him and Alien 3 so much that he didn't even get to shoot a lot of the stuff which would have made up his true director's cut. But anyway. the "director's cut" of Alien isn't significantly worse for the addition of that deleted scene it just hurts the pacing near the end of the movie (which is why it was originally cut). I've never watched the extended version of Aliens but it's basically another case of "they threw in some deleted scenes and called it a director's cut". I can't think of too many that were out ruined by this sort of thing mostly it just hurts the pacing and makes the movie bloated. The one thing I will say is that there is a third version of Terminator 2 with an alternate ending that is godawful. The second version (called the special edition) of the movie is basically the same thing but with the ending from the theatrical cut and one less scene which shows the T-1000 searching John's bedroom. In both cases it's easy to see why they cut what they cut, especially since the released version is already over two hours long. Some of it's interesting but all of it is unnecessary.

This was the original ending to Terminator 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEpjgFZpAt0

Thankfully someone realized it was a good idea to change it before the movie came out.

I agree with the pacing issue of Alien but it's just different rather than worse. Aliens is a mixed bag, as with T2 Cameron usually has good instincts but sometimes cuts great scenes and I don't know why. Aliens didn't need the Hadley's hope intro but Ripley's daughter and the sentry gun scenes are great (the later is one of the best in the film), similarly with T2 I have no idea why he cut the chip scene, it's perfect.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Butterfly Effect isn't a good movie either way but the director's cut changes the ending so that Ashton Kutcher's character time travels back to when he was in the womb and strangles himself with the umbilical cord so he's never born, undoing the events of the movie lmao

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I've never watched the extended version of Aliens but it's basically another case of "they threw in some deleted scenes and called it a director's cut".

I'm pretty sure that Cameron has stated that the "special edition" (ie. the longer version) was his original cut, but the studio asked him to trim the runtime. I think the added scenes are generally very good, but the movie is not as tightly paced as the theatrical.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What about the opposite then? What are essential directors cuts? I know 4 that I hear frequently mentioned are Daredevil, Halloween 6, Brazil and Blade Runner.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I used to watch Alien/Alies/Alien3 alllll the time. I had the Alien Legacy boxset which only had the DC for Aliens. I didn’t see the original cut until 2yrs later when the Quadrilogy dropped. I really think the DC of Aliens is better than the theatrical cut.

Also, I own the first 4 Alien movies in three separate collections, and I’ve still only seen Resurrection like... 2/3 times. The last time I tried, I noticed the guards in the opening shot are both chewing gum really obviously and it pulled me out.

Oh and Touch of Evil’s directors cut is the definitive version.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Liar Lyre posted:

What about the opposite then? What are essential directors cuts? I know 4 that I hear frequently mentioned are Daredevil, Halloween 6, Brazil and Blade Runner.

Kingdom of Heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Liar Lyre posted:

It's not actually a director's cut as mentioned, but Alien 3 is greatly improved (I like it, fight me), Aliens, T2 (the first one), Once upon a time in America, Kingdom of Heaven (apparently, haven't seen it), Apocalypse Now (another mixed bag), there's more but I'm not remembering them

e: the LOTR films too, again not called directors cuts but they have a lot of great character scenes that should have been included at the expense of some of the action.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 14, 2018