Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I had a course in college that used matlab and p much agree. the language is an abomination but then you call do_the_complicated_math(my_data) and save a week over reimplementing that call in a more pleasant language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
so how do goog handle storage (+ dbs, although i appreciate that dbs at goog are probably of a different scale) if k8s sucks at it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

microservices are v good at solving the problem they were created to solve: alleviating the boredom of a bunch of engineers making yet another boring crud app

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

redleader posted:

so how do goog handle storage (+ dbs, although i appreciate that dbs at goog are probably of a different scale) if k8s sucks at it

my impression was that google uses borg and k8s is a vanity project for gce

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

redleader posted:

microservices are v good at solving the problem they were created to solve: alleviating the boredom of a bunch of engineers making yet another boring crud app

with unlimited private repos for $7/month it would be stupid to not make 1000 of them!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

my impression was that google uses borg and k8s is a vanity project for gce

huh. i knew they had borg, but given their investment in k8s i'm a bit surprised they aren't going in on k8s

although it does fit into everything else i've heard about google, where you end up with 3 internal and 2 external projects doing fundamentally the same thing for Reasons

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

huh. i knew they had borg, but given their investment in k8s i'm a bit surprised they aren't going in on k8s

although it does fit into everything else i've heard about google, where you end up with 3 internal and 2 external projects doing fundamentally the same thing for Reasons

the reason is one and its simple, google rewards initiatives and not deliveries

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if your service needs transient working storage, k8s handles it just fine. if your service needs persistent storage, it shouldn't be doing it itself, it should talk to a different service or a database or something which handles that.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jabor posted:

if your service needs transient working storage, k8s handles it just fine. if your service needs persistent storage, it shouldn't be doing it itself, it should talk to a different service or a database or something which handles that.

yeah thats what I said p much. PVC and friends are toys to check off features and the more you use them the more pain and regret you will experience

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

whew, think im finally starting to get the hang of tex scoping & expansion, a little

code:
	\ifcsdef{gtrDBbirthyear}{}{\ifcsdef{gtrDBbaptismyear}{}{%
		\edef\birthyear{}%
		\foreach \x in {census,enrolment} {%
			\gpr@if@defined{\x}{age}{%
				% not a fan of having to use stringx but im still not so clear on string manip
				\StrLeft{\gpr@subdb@value{\x}{date}}{4}[\eventyear]%
				\global\edef\birthyear{\expanded{\unexpanded{\the\numexpr} \eventyear - \gpr@subdb@value{\x}{age}}}%
			}{}%
		}%
		\ifdefempty{\birthyear}{}{%
			\gprEvents{birth- = {(caAD)\birthyear}}%
			\global\edef\birthyear{}%
		}%
	}}%

kinda glad i don't understand this post tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonadic io posted:

truly i had not considered a system with all the convenience of microservices and all the code separation of a monolith

a very accurate summary of our codebase

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the modern world sounds complicated. i'm going to stick with copying files to the prod web server through explorer.exe

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jabor posted:

and that other service should in turn talk to another service to handle it, and so on, until your persistent storage is actually just a bunch of json perpetually flying around the cloud. delay line memory is back, and this time its webscale

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

the modern world sounds complicated. i'm going to stick with copying files to the prod web server through explorer.exe

What's a prod Web server? I just start the thing on my laptop and try to remember not to turn it off while people are using it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

gonadic io posted:

What's a prod Web server? I just start the thing on my laptop and try to remember not to turn it off while people are using it

this is, without a hint of exaggeration, how our operational monitoring works

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

this is, without a hint of exaggeration, how our operational monitoring works

At $oldJob we had to fly a dev out to Milan to install a sftp server on one of $thirdParty's machines so they could have an intern put files in it (presumably after being emailed then). It was a csv that routinely had transcription errors so presumably was copy/pasted by hand

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

At $oldJob we had to fly a dev out to Milan to install a sftp server on one of $thirdParty's machines so they could have an intern put files in it (presumably after being emailed then). It was a csv that routinely had transcription errors so presumably was copy/pasted by hand

Mind you, this is the same job where one of the other third parties refused to do even that we we had to get an intern on our end who would receive the email containing the xls 1997 version, and copy paste with a small adjustment into an internal web form where we parsed it and put it into our systems.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

why do we do this poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

redleader posted:

its a living

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

laziness, incompetence, lack of interest in improving the situation, fear of change, intern time is much cheaper than dev time

E: wait do you mean why do companies do this poo poo or why to we do devving in general? Either way my answer applies

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 14, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

animist posted:

kinda glad i don't understand this post tbh

you should be, that way lies only pain and terror

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

redleader posted:

you just put everything in spanner. how does spanner handle storage? very carefully

if you work with bigass blobs of unstructured data, you might put them in google cloud storage or maybe an older system built directly on colossus. idk I don't work with that kind of data.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

redleader posted:

hello yes this happens too

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jabor posted:

So how does the DB handle its storage?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

gonadic io posted:

laziness, incompetence, lack of interest in improving the situation, fear of change, intern time is much cheaper than dev time

E: wait do you mean why do companies do this poo poo or why to we do devving in general? Either way my answer applies

i did mean it in the latter sense, but v good answer to both interpretations

i find myself becoming more disillusioned with my choice of career every day, but cannot conceive of a better alternative

so i'll just keep on slinging hacks on top of hacks on top of poo poo, taking some slight solace in the fact that ultimately competes 6 don't matter and all human progress is illusory

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

i did mean it in the latter sense, but v good answer to both interpretations

i find myself becoming more disillusioned with my choice of career every day, but cannot conceive of a better alternative

so i'll just keep on slinging hacks on top of hacks on top of poo poo, taking some slight solace in the fact that ultimately competes 6 don't matter and all human progress is illusory

We get paid way too much, generally less oversight than equivalent office jobs, also in general higher tolerance for failure than comparable jobs, and are highly in demand so moving jobs is better than equiv white collar jobs. I don't see myself leaving this career until the flood of current teens being taught this poo poo in school hits the job market. Peace. Also get therapy imo.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

We get paid way too much, generally less oversight than equivalent office jobs, also in general higher tolerance for failure than comparable jobs, and are highly in demand so moving jobs is better than equiv white collar jobs. I don't see myself leaving this career until the flood of current teens being taught this poo poo in school hits the job market. Peace. Also get therapy imo.

a lot of people think that computers are literal magic so they find it hard to understand how terrible we are in the same way they'd understand if a architect hosed up a house so it fell down

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xarn posted:

very carefully

but essentially, the point is if a service is responsible for persisting data, that's the *only* thing it should be responsible for. no processing, no business logic, purely persisting data for your other services to use

and since that's not specific to your business domain, ideally you let someone else do the heavy thinking on that part

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

prisoner of waffles posted:

in other news, I'm falling in love with MATLAB.

no

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Xarn posted:

afaik you can spin up several postgres containers and set them up to operate as a replicated cluster. k8s has some sort of affinity thing in it to make sure it always starts up on those same physical hosts and uses some dedicated and persistent local storage areas on those hosts to keep its data around. if one of those physical hosts dies then you spin up another instance, add it to the cluster and let it get repopulated using replication. obviously you have to monitor things so that you never lose your last replica.

while this is doable now it probably ought to be a one-click action in k8s but it's not really there yet.

so in short

Jabor posted:

very carefully

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I mean yeah matlab is great and a big part of that is the ide and the way it strikes a nice balance between being an ide and a repl and everything and plots are nice and the math works and is good but at this point Id rather jump through several annoying hoops to get python

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Phobeste posted:

I mean yeah matlab is great and a big part of that is the ide and the way it strikes a nice balance between being an ide and a repl and everything and plots are nice and the math works and is good but at this point Id rather jump through several annoying hoops to get python

Matlab is amazing if you're an academic and things need to be janitored and babied to work (and also when you don't have to pay for their nickel and dime operation)

when you're in an industrial setting ehhhh

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

afaik you can spin up several postgres containers and set them up to operate as a replicated cluster. k8s has some sort of affinity thing in it to make sure it always starts up on those same physical hosts and uses some dedicated and persistent local storage areas on those hosts to keep its data around. if one of those physical hosts dies then you spin up another instance, add it to the cluster and let it get repopulated using replication. obviously you have to monitor things so that you never lose your last replica.

while this is doable now it probably ought to be a one-click action in k8s but it's not really there yet.

so in short

yeah see thats all v bad. dont use k8s to store anything important

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao i just remembered a time in grad school when i failed a take-home coding test for a data science job because string munging in matlab is a hellscape for some reason

(i didnt know any data science python at the time because i was bad)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I wor

Boiled Water posted:

Matlab is amazing if you're an academic and things need to be janitored and babied to work (and also when you don't have to pay for their nickel and dime operation)

when you're in an industrial setting ehhhh

I once worked on a project for a third party that had an algorithm designed in matlab, and wanted us to port it to a C library. when they learned it would take a whole week, they spent a week trying to embed matlab on the target platform.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I wor

I once worked on a project for a third party that had an algorithm designed in matlab, and wanted us to port it to a C library. when they learned it would take a whole week, they spent a week trying to embed matlab on the target platform.

licensing for matlab being what they are it would be way way more expensive. but then again corporate never made sense.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

prisoner of waffles posted:

in other news, I'm falling in love with MATLAB. The language is awful and really encourages making write-once monstrosities even though it provides better ways for organizing code, some of which pay off and make you look smart to the people who only ever write scripts. I like using their extremely robust standard library to reimplement a single function from a toolbox that costs $1000. I like chewing on physicsy data and doing stats or signal processing poo poo and I get paid for that now.

I am the idiot hellfucker.

I would love a job loving around with MATLAB all day. Beats the hell out of turd shunting enterprise nonsense.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah see that’s all v bad. don’t use k8s to store anything important

how is it any different than running on bare metal? if a server dies you still need to replace it and spool up new replicas.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Finster Dexter posted:

I blame microservices (and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, tbh)

the benefits of react native are that you can smear javascript all over your mobile app like a shunted turd

ah, thought this was a joke. i took a peek at it, and it looked really horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Sapozhnik posted:

k8s has some sort of affinity thing in it to make sure it always starts up on those same physical hosts and uses some dedicated and persistent local storage areas on those hosts to keep its data around.

This isn't how pods work at all. At least, not how it's configured to work ootb. k8s will gladly start moving pods around to different nodes if a node starts getting cpu or mem pressure. It's super fun when this happens to your web server and/or your bespoke Russian-built microservices and logs out everyone connected on that pod.

And in terms of storage, because of this you can't count on anything on the file system being persistent (nor should you). If you want persistent, you have to spin up a persistent volume claim which ends up as EBS volumes. Although, even that isn't just flip a switch and go because if the pvc is spun up in a zone different then the node's zone, k8s throws weird errors about pvc not in zone or somesuch, and if all your nodes in that zone are already full of turd shunters lmao well now you have to do more config fuckery to get the ebs volumes to line up...

CTO and I wasted a week on this pile of poo poo, and since I've only been using k8s for like a few months (yay DevOps) I have no idea if this is normal or what. So, maybe your k8s has magical affinity elves or something, but honestly, storage is just a giant loving pain in k8s.