Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Thefastlane's the last name

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just dropped ¥50k on wrestling tickets. The girl working behind the counter at Lawson's was clearly impressed by how cool I am.

Actually ¥3k of that was to an idols concert where the idols are wrestlers so even cooler.

If you already spent the money I'm sorry but...

... Please don't support the companies promoting idol wrestling. There is seriously evil poo poo going on and I've tried to be part of getting some girls out of there.

I don't want to derail your conversation and don't want to darken your good time but... Well, yeah. Everyone should know. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's DDT where the consensus seems to be the idol stuff is done as a parody. They certainly spend a lot of time making jokes about the rules and stuff but if you know differently about them, I'd certainly be disappointed and not support them in the future.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's DDT where the consensus seems to be the idol stuff is done as a parody. They certainly spend a lot of time making jokes about the rules and stuff but if you know differently about them, I'd certainly be disappointed and not support them in the future.

It's not about kayfabe. It's about serious sexual abuse to be able to make it to the level to be able to be featured. Every single one. Places like DDT just use them after being groomed, probably knowing better, but aren't the source of the problem.

I can't give anything other than my word as it isn't publicized and it's anyone's choice to believe me, but everyone here in the indies knows about it and wants it to end. I personally know one wrestler in one indie that has a "dojo" for idols. Or he was in it, until he knew what was going on.

If anyone wants to know more (again, with no proof, or desire to libel anyone specifically) I'm happy to share privately, but for this thread, please everyone discuss happily your enjoyment of a respectable part of the industry deserving of your support and praise. :) Again, sorry for the sidetrack.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DDT's wrestlers in TJPW are all afaik trained in-house though.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

DDT's wrestlers in TJPW are all afaik trained in-house though.

If that's truly the case, and they aren't first introduced by the main agency handling almost all of these things, I can't comment on their practices, to be fair.

There is a huge underbelly of agencies connected to many dojos, and the wrestlers training at for are not all scrupulous. I'm highly concerned regarding most girls under 16 bring introduced to wrestling in many capacities and as idols or idol characters specifically. Remember... Nobody starts out at the highest level.

Sorry again... It's enough on the topic. Just don't be surprised for these activities to blow up in scandal sometime in the future.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm fairly ignorant of british indies outside of revpro x over shows so i didn't pay much attention but i'm tempted to go now with that lineuip

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'll probably be going. They're doing a British indie style free seat thing for the cheap seats so that should be interesting in Korakuen.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Are you guys ready? It's coming. Behold: the Yamanote line train.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I hadn't seen anything like this posted, so I figured I'd throw it together and see if anyone wanted to add their names. It's a Google Sheet with all of the events noted in the OP where everyone can add their name if they're attending. Might make for some fun meetups if groups of people are going to the same shows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X7Z0luojKOVj3tSkPryHAFX1bVwxEGsQFLXwgfeWvw4/edit#gid=0

I'm only hitting up 3 shows on this trip - STARDOM on the 3rd, and TJPW + NJPW on the 4th. Maybe we'll dip into some others if we're looking for things to do, but we're also going to be doing regular vacation stuff outside of wrestling while we're there.

Is anyone familiar with the area around Shinkiba 1st Ring? I'm curious about what else there may be to see/do/eat in that area where we could make a full day (or afternoon & evening) out of January 3.

Edit: I did some more research on things around Shinkiba and found this crazy looking museum: https://borderless.teamlab.art/

There's also another museum by that same group (https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/) and a Wood & Plywood Museum which looks nice enough to kill an hour in or so. We're definitely going to get tickets for Borderless and from what I've read it recommends giving yourself 2-3 hours to walk around. That might be the only other thing we plan for that day since we want to try and not overbook ourselves each day, but there's also the Fukagawa Edo Museum around the same area which looks neat as well. We might go back to that area a second day for the Edo Museum and Planets exhibit.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 24, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Is anyone familiar with the area around Shinkiba 1st Ring? I'm curious about what else there may be to see/do/eat in that area where we could make a full day (or afternoon & evening) out of January 3.

Edit: I did some more research on things around Shinkiba and found this crazy looking museum: https://borderless.teamlab.art/

There's also another museum by that same group (https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/) and a Wood & Plywood Museum which looks nice enough to kill an hour in or so. We're definitely going to get tickets for Borderless and from what I've read it recommends giving yourself 2-3 hours to walk around. That might be the only other thing we plan for that day since we want to try and not overbook ourselves each day, but there's also the Fukagawa Edo Museum around the same area which looks neat as well. We might go back to that area a second day for the Edo Museum and Planets exhibit.

Shin-Kiba itself isn't a garden spot -- most people know of it as either where you change trains to go out to Tokyo Disney, or the closest club for the poor kids out in Chiba to get to in Tokyo. But Odaiba is on the same train line(s) and has a lot more in the way of touristy stuff. Team Lab Borderless is there, and it's definitely worth a visit -- budget 2.5 hours or so, and just know the upstairs is pretty decent size too, so don't get burned out on just the first floor!

If you want to go pay a visit to Ryogoku, right next to it (and both near the station) is the Edo Tokyo Museum which is also a really good spot to see and a fascinating piece of architecture in its own right too.

The one piece of advice I can give is to try and limit how much back-and-forth you have around the city each day -- try to do things in clusters, and take time to walk, because the trains are useful but will swallow money and time if you're criss-crossing too much.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

Shin-Kiba itself isn't a garden spot -- most people know of it as either where you change trains to go out to Tokyo Disney, or the closest club for the poor kids out in Chiba to get to in Tokyo. But Odaiba is on the same train line(s) and has a lot more in the way of touristy stuff. Team Lab Borderless is there, and it's definitely worth a visit -- budget 2.5 hours or so, and just know the upstairs is pretty decent size too, so don't get burned out on just the first floor!

If you want to go pay a visit to Ryogoku, right next to it (and both near the station) is the Edo Tokyo Museum which is also a really good spot to see and a fascinating piece of architecture in its own right too.

The one piece of advice I can give is to try and limit how much back-and-forth you have around the city each day -- try to do things in clusters, and take time to walk, because the trains are useful but will swallow money and time if you're criss-crossing too much.

Thanks! And yeah, we're planning on picking a single thing (MAYBE 2) to do each day and just loaf around that area in between/before/after things. We don't want to try and plan for too many things each day and wind up disappointed that we weren't able to do it all, so it seems like a safer bet to pick a landmark/specific thing and then loosely plan around that.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Odaiba is fun because it has Diver City and it’s awesome twenty foot Gundam statue and also a lesser known, but weirdly jarring replica of the Statue of Liberty. Plus taking the Water Bus back to Tokyo (specifically, Asakusa) is nice, but given how cold it’s supposed to get soon enough, you might want to bundle up for that.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So how likely is it that you could get tickets at the gate at the various wrestling shows next week (NEXT WEEK!!!)? Was thinking I'd maybe add one more show on the 2nd or 3rd.

Which shows are already sold out?

Edit: Hmm, perhaps STARDOM at Shinkiba 1st Ring on Jan 2..?

Also I got a pretty good guide to Tokyo as a present from my mom and amongst other interesting things, there's an ICE CREAM PARADISE at Sunshine City, the same place where the Pokémon Center is located in. Looks like they have all the weirdest possible ice cream flavors available :getin:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 25, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Only NYD and DDT have sold out of the Korakuen shows and should be the only ones that do.

The Shinkiba shows might though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hey, I'm dumb and accidentally reserved a ticket to Gatoh Move on January 2nd without realising it's an earlier start and clashes with AJPW, so if anyone wants to take over the reservation let me know (it's ¥2500, just go to the venue and give my name to pick up the ticket)

This is what Gatoh Move is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l6oPyb2DCw

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdncxRu-eY

Turned out to be horrible video quality but in case anyone was interested in the December 23 show. The last match, a Battle Royale, came out as totally unwatchable.

My next show is the 13th in Saitama, long after most of you coming to Wrestle Kingdom will have gone home.

Everyone, please enjoy all the festivities!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Hey, I'm dumb and accidentally reserved a ticket to Gatoh Move on January 2nd without realising it's an earlier start and clashes with AJPW, so if anyone wants to take over the reservation let me know (it's ¥2500, just go to the venue and give my name to pick up the ticket)

This is what Gatoh Move is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l6oPyb2DCw

Well, I was looking for one more event and was interested in Gatoh Move when you mentioned it a while back. I'm in! PM with the deets?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Thauros posted:

i'm fairly ignorant of british indies outside of revpro x over shows so i didn't pay much attention but i'm tempted to go now with that lineuip

One of the matches is CCK vs Satomura and Tozawa, you should probably try to go.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1077404511176515584

I need one.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just landed and on the bus to Tokyo Station. I can't loving believe I'm in Japan. Aaaaahhh

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Remember that you stand on the left side of the escalator because the right side is the fast lane. Also this is reversed in the Kansai area.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is something I learned immediately :)

I've got a Metro pass, found my hostel and now need to figure out something to do until evening to keep myself awake. Thinking of checking out Shinjuku Station as it's close by, maybe the view from the Metropolitan Govt building and Yoyogi Park. Just some light wandering around.

I'm actually feeling pretty good despite only getting maybe an hour's worth of sleep on the plane... Hope I don't totally crash later in the afternoon.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I've got a Metro pass, found my hostel and now need to figure out something to do until evening to keep myself awake. Thinking of checking out Shinjuku Station as it's close by, maybe the view from the Metropolitan Govt building and Yoyogi Park. Just some light wandering around.

I'm actually feeling pretty good despite only getting maybe an hour's worth of sleep on the plane... Hope I don't totally crash later in the afternoon.

Suzuki's store Piledriver is relatively close to Yoyogi Park if you want something to go looking for.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

extradite THIS! posted:

Yeah I leave for Japan tomorrow, but luckily we already have friends there and they said they would meet up with us to keep us awake so we don't immediately fall asleep.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm in Sunshine City for some weird ice cream and also the Pokemon shop and just caught a random free j-pop show. I'm liking this city thus far

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I'm in Sunshine City for some weird ice cream and also the Pokemon shop and just caught a random free j-pop show. I'm liking this city thus far

I know you aren't American but if you're looking for ice cream you should apparently check out this place

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWBUSHI/status/1078853762821672960?s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Go to Blue Seal, they have some unique flavors but also it’s legit decent quality ice cream, which to me is better than just stunt crazy stuff. And it’s mostly in Okinawa not around here.

Just got my ticket today, Lawson still has 1F Stand tickets so I got one of those.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm gonna be on the look out for all the third wave coffee shops in shinjuku. I'm expecting some good poo poo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Tokyo Dome is perhaps the busiest I've seen it today.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Its 5:30am and we're about to board our first flight. We get into Tokyo tomorrow at 3pm with the timezone shift. It's going to be a long day and I'm looking forward to deliriously navigating the airport, monorail, and subways on the way to the hotel. GO ACE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

extradite THIS! posted:

When I arrived in Tokyo I thought,"Hey this place ain't so different from where I live" but it was also late at night and as I turned a corner from the train station, four men wearing high-vis vests and Christmas lights came striding by chanting a drunken song before disappearing into the night. Those were the first people I saw (outside of the airport) in Japan :allears:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jimmy Havoc is in the same bar I'm at now, it's really starting to feel like WK season.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, the weird ice cream place in Namjatown was old news. Not there anymore. Namjatown was at least a pretty weird place, though.

WAVE show was pretty good. The tag title match was MOTN, just a super fun match that had it all from crazy tag moves to numerous pokes in the rear end. Main event was also very good and it was fun to see how emotional it was for many fans. There was also a 9-woman elimination match that had some funny stuff going on, even if the action was somewhat sloppy. Wish I could find the card in English somewhere so I could put actual names here... I don't think I cam trust the Google Translated ones, and the match graphics only had the names in Japanese too. GEORGE W BUSHI, can you help me out here?

Korakuen Hall was a pretty interesting place. I've already grown accustomed to there being signs in English everywhere, but Korakuen had, I'm pretty sure, zero English anywhere. Luckily I found the right place by using Google Translate's frankly magical camera feature and following other people around. Korakuen Hall itself was a wonderful pro wrestling venue. The acoustics are amazing, the crowd sounds so drat loud.

Afterwards I tried to find the DDT-operated Dropkick Bar in Kabukicho since it's close to where I'm staying. The only thing I could find was a building where I was encouraged by multiple dudes to go to their shady titty bar and no indication of Dropkick anywhere. Has someone been there, is it still there? And how would one actually find it?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 29, 2018

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

Afterwards I tried to find the DDT-operated Dropkick Bar in Kabukicho since it's close to where I'm staying. The only thing I could find was a building where I was encouraged by multiple dudes to go to their shady titty bar and no indication of Dropkick anywhere. Has someone been there, is it still there? And how would one actually find it?

Quick Google search gives the address as

Shinjuku, Kabukicho, 1 Chome−14−6 第21東京ビル (#21 Tokyo Building)

8th floor

If you can Google Map it.

It closes at midnight.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Jimmy Havoc is in the same bar I'm at now, it's really starting to feel like WK season.
smash a bottle over his head imo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Vendo Thefastlane posted:

Quick Google search gives the address as

Shinjuku, Kabukicho, 1 Chome−14−6 第21東京ビル (#21 Tokyo Building)

8th floor

If you can Google Map it.

It closes at midnight.

Yeah, I found that building. The problem was I couldn't find any indication of the bar being in that building, and I wasn't sure if I could just go up. Maybe I should've tried!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 29, 2018

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Tokyo has the most insane ratio of bars to human beings I’ve ever seen. Sometimes there are about six bars in the same building, and this doesn’t even include Girls Bars/hostess clubs. Also don’t forget to ignore anyone asking you to come to their bar. That’s bad news.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Auritech posted:

Tokyo has the most insane ratio of bars to human beings I’ve ever seen. Sometimes there are about six bars in the same building, and this doesn’t even include Girls Bars/hostess clubs. Also don’t forget to ignore anyone asking you to come to their bar. That’s bad news.

Haha, yeah. I know enough to be wary of that sort of poo poo. I told everyone who approached me "wakarimasen" and "ie, ie". One guy, when I said I didn't understand, said "[titty bar's name] touch! Feel! :pervert: " and did a groping motion with his hands. Almost burst out laughing but kept my cool.

One guy spoke to me in English right away and wanted to tell me about his cool bar. I told him I already was going somewhere particular. He offered to "help" me. Thanks but nope, guy.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 29, 2018

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

extradite THIS! posted:

I don't know how much bar stuff we'll be doing (I don't drink but my partner does), but if google is to be believed the Drop Kick bar is a 7 minute walk from our first hotel. If you want to try hitting it up again, let me know and maybe we'll join!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

WAVE show was pretty good. The tag title match was MOTN, just a super fun match that had it all from crazy tag moves to numerous pokes in the rear end. Main event was also very good and it was fun to see how emotional it was for many fans. There was also a 9-woman elimination match that had some funny stuff going on, even if the action was somewhat sloppy. Wish I could find the card in English somewhere so I could put actual names here... I don't think I cam trust the Google Translated ones, and the match graphics only had the names in Japanese too. GEORGE W BUSHI, can you help me out here?

The tag title match was BOSS to MAMMY (Yumi Ohka and Mio Momono) vs. Sakura Hirota and Yuki Miyazaki. Main event was Misaki Ohata vs. Ryo Mizunami. Ohata retired afterwards.

Anyone at this DDT show? Yoshimura's injury looks really serious.