Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Perfect here doesn't mean the best or most influential, although all three of these are very good and very inflential. What I mean is there isn't one bad song stinking up the thing, or weird pacing or big uneven spots, etc -- the album is good and is without flaws front to back. This puts out Sgt Peppers, Blood on the Tracks, Dark Side of the Moon and definitely quite a few others but whatever.

Anyway, in order of how good they are overall, these are the three perfect albums

1) The Red Headed Stranger

This is the album that raised Willie Nelson from a likeable country workhorse into a sort of indisputable pantheon of world class musicians. If you don't listen to country and you got a fat aunt that loves Willie Nelson and you don't get it it's because you never heard Red Headed Stranger. Strangely enough this album was in part an echo of the number three album on this list as Nelson has stated in interviews that he wanted to do Nebraska kind of thing.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj51eDT11UTp3RJwCCC531g6kg0ba0yfm (Youtube doesn't have the full album up as a single track at this time)

Feature track is 1 of 16, "Time of the Preacher"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1w66uijqU

2) Kind of Blue

Maybe the only jazz album to jump clear of the genre into the popular mind, Kind of Blue is a moment to moment perfect album that is free of the kind of up-its-own-rear end jerking off that drives so many people away from jazz. One of the Allman Brothers Band's lead guitarists (I forget which) stated in an interview that the long flowing improvisations they became famous for in concert were built up from listening to Kind of Blue over and over and playing things that way. John Coltrane is one of the saxophonists on the album and apparently the rest of the group is almost as well known to jazz people. Each side was recorded in one session, with Davis demanding (as usual) no rehearsals, giving his players only rough notes to go by just before they were going to record, however of the tracks on the album only Flamenco Sketches is the actual first take (but that song did not appear on the album until the reissue in the 90s).

Full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fC1qSxpmKo

Feature track is 2 of 5, "Freddie Freeloader"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfFhfSuUZ4

3) Nebraska

Springsteen crushed it with Born to Run, the released Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River, the last of which introduced some darker material but which was his most immediately successful album up to that time (Born to Run would continue to gather steam down the road at a greater rate but The River came out of the gate the hardest). He followed this up with an album he recorded mostly on his own in his garage, almost all of the songs bleak or murderous, set in one of the few states provably worse than New Jersey. Nebraska is grim but without the temptation to feed his fanbase a nine minute working class anthem Springsteen was free to do his most careful and intricate work. He managed it without a slip up along the way and Nebraska has over time become a symbol and maybe even map for how one person can pull something off like that on their own.

Full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dy2O9Khq1A

Feature track is 10 of 10, "Reason to Believe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro16WgM1IE

=====

Probably the most commonly mentioned albums in the thread so far are:

Steely Dan's "Aja":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4&list=PL8a8cutYP7fodkZK1G6kK00rVwhMCy4_F
(I don't like Steely Dan but okay)

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHrHQEmp2Q
(I don't like the intro to Time and feel that Money is a weak link but this album is my number 4 choice for a perfect album if I unscrew my butthole a little)

Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M&list=PLKLjDq58gFD_cY1K3dqNhzRe8mibgziQZ
(I listened to it before but it didn't make a big impression)

raton fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A ton of people will groan at this but I don't give a poo poo.

40oz to Freedom by Sublime

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Smash by The Offspring

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
no OP, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw07CDid0JM

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thought of another;

Will the Circle be Unbroken by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (probably the two volume edition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI

It's like a collection of history's greatest bluegrass musicians as well as people like Johnny Cash and others, it's...incredible.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 14, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

A ton of people will groan at this but I don't give a poo poo.

40oz to Freedom by Sublime

YeahTubaMike posted:

Smash by The Offspring

I don't think I listened to either of those two all the way through maybe I will someday soon, you will see

raton fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 14, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The perfect albums is this obscure record put out by a group you've never heard of.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Like all list threads I look foreward to all the posts where someone says something they actually like and no one reads it or cares or interacts with the thing recommended

I will listen to some of the ablums that people post though

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

disintegration by the cure

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
But Slick Rick has 4 albums.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I don't like Fascination Street but the opening bits of this album are very good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robokomodo posted:

But Slick Rick has 4 albums.

Treat em Like a Prostitute and Johnny Cash's cover of Deliah's Gone are the only two songs I've played when girls were around where they got mad at me for it

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
PJ Harvey: Dry
The Slits: Cut
Nick Cave: Henry's Dream

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen is :perfect:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Marvin Gaye: what's going on is a flawless album

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

donuts by dilla

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Loveless

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's Steely Dan's Aja, op

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I thought I had this one and had listened to but I don't so maybe I haven't so I will probably try it later becasueit's more promising than the Carly Rae Jespen one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I downloaded this one because it's on a buncch of lists like Pitchfork kinda ones but it ain't clicked I guess IDK

I can never remember any of it after I listened to it

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Rising by Rainbow
Figure Number Five by Soilwork
Evil Empire by RATM
The Planets by Gustav Holst

There are a lot of albums that are close. Ready to Die by biggie comes to mind. I consider it better than some of the albums I listed, but it also has a turd track or two.

Maybe stuff like Modest Mouse counts but I don't know if making the same song 20x counts as an album. Offspring's earlier albums come super close but usually have at least 1 garbage track. Rap is real disadvantaged in the "perfect album" category because every drat rap album has one or two poo poo tier songs. There are lots of real good albums in other genres that I wouldn't include due to that, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 14, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
goucho
white album
picture of nectar

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wall Balls posted:

donuts by dilla

I ahve a mental block with hip hop, every year I give it another go and end up still not liking it very much

I think the only hip hop album I've listeed to all the way through more than once that I still kinda like is Illmatic

I will give this one a try

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

There are a lot of albums that are close. Ready to Die by biggie comes to mind. In some ways it's better than the albums I listed, but it also has a turd track or two.

I agree with this very much

I think there are better albums in aggregate than the three I posted but they all have a big log or two floating in the punchbowl as well

Also when you talked about the hip hop albums being turdprone they also have those loving skits

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
To the Steely Dan posters why not that Dire Straits one with the guitar on the front?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Smash by The Offspring

:emptyquote:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
loving Ten.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Have always and will always skip whatever track one is called

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

raton posted:

To the Steely Dan posters why not that Dire Straits one with the guitar on the front?

"Brothers in Arms," I feel that "Why Worry?" and "One World" (two tracks I really like btw) don't fit perfectly.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Gobblecoque posted:

It's Steely Dan's Aja, op

Probably this or "Stop Making Sense"

The New Yorker on "Stop Making Sense" posted:

...close to perfection.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen is :perfect:

Check out the B sides EP if you haven't.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Ceremony of Opposites by Samael

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I listened to every track on Nevermind a thousand times.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder

raton posted:

I ahve a mental block with hip hop, every year I give it another go and end up still not liking it very much

I think the only hip hop album I've listeed to all the way through more than once that I still kinda like is Illmatic

I will give this one a try

I always liked Things Fall Apart by the Roots

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

This is a good pick.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Euphoric Tape by Blue Sky Black Death

Salad Days by Mac DeMarco

Pink Floyd

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Frankenstyle posted:

PJ Harvey: Dry
The Slits: Cut
Nick Cave: Henry's Dream

Bud, Henry's Dream is not a great album, and I say this as a giant Nick Cave nerd who has a poster of the man on his wall. His two most recent come a lot closer to perfection.

I guess I could be missing something about Henry's Dream though. If you want to sell me on it, go for it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ever since I discovered them, I've been a huge fan of the Sparks, a band consisting of two brothers and some ever-changing other people founded in 1969 and still going strong. Went to a concert last year and for being over 70 years, they can still loving own a crowd, it's great entertainment and they're obviously having an insane amount of fun just doing their thing.

However, the perfect album I want to present is not only from them, but from a cooperation they did in 2015 with Franz Ferdinand, called simply "FFS". A young and an old band just deciding "hey let's do a thing together" and it works amazingly. Still listen to it constantly, it's always great from start to finish, and spans the entire spectrum from silly to melancholy to really silly to intricate and satisfying and back to silly again (I like silly).

Here's the full playlist. The first track, Johnny Delusional, will tell you if you like it. It's about a clueless guy not understanding how to talk the the ~females~ and therefore super timely. My favorite for silly is probably So Desu Ne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
How about The Queen Is Dead?

I'm sure we can collectively agree on more than three albums that are perfect.