Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

What about the opposite then? What are essential directors cuts? I know 4 that I hear frequently mentioned are Daredevil, Halloween 6, Brazil and Blade Runner.

Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven is much, much better in the extended version.

e: I guess I'm a bit slow.

---

Found a few caps from Eureka's new Once Upon a Time in China BD. Looking pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

I imagine it's like this.

I only see one Vinegar Syndrome release in there, that's just shameful.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Halloween 6 producers cut ain't essential to anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: the LOTR films too, again not called directors cuts but they have a lot of great character scenes that should have been included at the expense of some of the action.

Those are the rare movies where I literally don't care how long they are, more = better. If I didn't want to schedule my whole day around a movie, I wouldn't be watching 'em. Give me all you got.

Note that the Hobbit movies do not work on the same principle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

Those are the rare movies where I literally don't care how long they are, more = better. If I didn't want to schedule my whole day around a movie, I wouldn't be watching 'em. Give me all you got.

Note that the Hobbit movies do not work on the same principle.

No one should watch the Hobbit movies, ever

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Cloks posted:

I imagine it's like this.

this is mine. I have a problem.

also I don’t separate Criterions or any other labels or even Blu-rays from DVDs, everything is alphabetical

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched the first in the cinema, gave the 2nd the benefit of the doubt on a plane (regretted it) and rage quit a pirated copy of the third 20 minutes in. What a colossal waste of time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

also I don’t separate Criterions or any other labels or even Blu-rays from DVDs, everything is alphabetical

:same:

IT's all alphabetical. Well at least when I replace my busted media tower it will be again, everything's in a jumble at the moment.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I watched the first in the cinema, gave the 2nd the benefit of the doubt on a plane (regretted it) and rage quit a pirated copy of the third 20 minutes in. What a colossal waste of time.

I can understand, I saw the first one in the cinema too, and never wanted to go back.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There are other ways to organize your collection.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My collection is definitely kinda weird, I have Criterions all on one shelf, then another shelf for like nicer box sets(LOTR, Hitchcock set, etc.), then a third shelf for all the rest which is in alphabetical order.

Recently I began a FOURTH shelf for UHDs. So it's a bit hard to know exactly where to find something if you're not me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate will just put the discs back in my collection wherever. I notice every time too, I'll just glance over and know that something is out of place.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ridley Scott and “director’s cut” are basically synonymous at this point. Every movie of his, it seems, has a different cut. (Ok, maybe not The Duellists).

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are there many examples of directors cuts making the film worse? Donnie Darko and the Warriors are the only two that come to mind.

No one said "Star Wars" yet because it's too obvious, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liberal Idiot posted:

We don't talk about Star Wars unless we're opining how we'll never get an official old school cut in 4k

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Kingdom of Heaven
One of my most wanted UHDs. It's mastered in 2K but the bump up from 1080P and HDR would still be a worthwhile Improvement.

It's a shame that his last couple of attempts at historical epics haven't worked out. Actually kind of tempted to buy Exodus: Gods and Kings. It's a mess, and it's got that whitewashing controversy, but it's an interesting mess.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Almost Blue posted:

The longer version of Cinema Paradiso was considered to be worse when it came out in the early 2000s. Although that's a weird case where the US distributor cut down the movie and the re-release added them back in addition to more scenes. Apocalypse Now Redux is usually considered worse, as is the version of Close Encounters where you see the inside of the ship. Also, the cut of ET where he's CG and the 2000 cut of the Exorcist.

I'm not sure if there's a consensus on it or not, but I think the Donner cut of Superman 2 is a significantly worse movie than the original.

In fairness the Donner Cut of Superman II is more like a workprint than a final cut. I like it though. Especially since they deleted that goofy rear end scene with the Eiffel Tower and the roller skating guy.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I agree with the pacing issue of Alien but it's just different rather than worse. Aliens is a mixed bag, as with T2 Cameron usually has good instincts but sometimes cuts great scenes and I don't know why. Aliens didn't need the Hadley's hope intro but Ripley's daughter and the sentry gun scenes are great (the later is one of the best in the film), similarly with T2 I have no idea why he cut the chip scene, it's perfect.

The chip scene is cool, but it's unnecessary and it ads nothing to the movie. Especially since it's really just a showcase for some good visual effects in a movie that's not exactly starving for that.

Steen71 posted:

I'm pretty sure that Cameron has stated that the "special edition" (ie. the longer version) was his original cut, but the studio asked him to trim the runtime. I think the added scenes are generally very good, but the movie is not as tightly paced as the theatrical.

I really think the theatrical version is better. The special edition is just bloated.

Finally, a rational person.

Liberal Idiot posted:

This falls under what I was saying before about the movie being tweaked for the purpose of selling more crap years later rather than because it was interfered with by the studio.

Origami Dali posted:

The Halloween 6 producers cut ain't essential to anything.

It's just a different also terrible version of a bad movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
What's the consensus on the director's cut of Blood Simple? The original cut is good, but IMO, the DC is a noticeably better film.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Outsiders: The Complete Novel isn't as good as the theatrical cut because the courtroom scenes are awful, Coppola took out the lake sequence for zero reason, and I prefer the orchestra score to the 60s songs. This might be because I watched the theatrical cut so many times growing up and I find the changes jarring. I wish both versions were on my Blu-ray. Halloween 6 has hands down the worst alternate cut. Michael Myers being stopped by a bunch of magic rocks... atrocious. The movie is garbage either way, but at least the one I saw in theaters was entertaining. Also, and many will probably disagree, but the theatrical cut for Army of Darkness is much better than the Raimi cut.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

In fairness the Donner Cut of Superman II is more like a workprint than a final cut. I like it though. Especially since they deleted that goofy rear end scene with the Eiffel Tower and the roller skating guy.

It's also very much an open question just how involved Donner was in the "Donner Cut."

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CPL593H posted:

The chip scene is cool, but it's unnecessary and it ads nothing to the movie. Especially since it's really just a showcase for some good visual effects in a movie that's not exactly starving for that.

Chip scene is another good scene of highlighting the loss of Sarah Conner’s humanity, while providing John an opportunity to disagree with her and assert himself. I think there’s a lot to it.

I can’t wait to get home. 2001 UHD should be waiting for me!!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

As someone who thought that the Extended Editions of the original LOTR trilogy turned great movies into even better movies, I thought that the Extended Editions of the Hobbit trilogy would do the same thing.

And while it was cool seeing some of the extra scenes, especially all the added stuff with Gandalf at Dol Guldur. But the EE's didn't make them better movies.

Then I watched a fan edit that took out anything that wasn't in the original Hobbit book, and edited the trilogy down into one movie.

And it worked. It took 2 average movies and 1 poo poo movie, and turned them into one great movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The best part of getting the Hobbit extended editions box set is that you get one of the best 9-hour documentaries about filmmaking, plus three bonus movies.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
The ending to The Abyss makes no sense in the theatrical version. I don't really know how well the director's cut holds up, because I haven't watched it in over a decade (been waiting for a blu-ray :( ) but it at least has an internal logic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone who would prefer to watch Lord of the Rings instead of any pre-Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson movie is a boring square.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Anyone who would prefer to watch Lord of the Rings instead of any pre-Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson movie is a boring square.

:hmmyes:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vagabundo posted:

What's the consensus on the director's cut of Blood Simple? The original cut is good, but IMO, the DC is a noticeably better film.

I've never seen the DC, but Blood Simple is one of the few films where I'd call every shot perfect, so I can't imagine there's a way to improve upon it.

Edit: Actually, scratch that, I just learned that the shorter version is the DC. So I've never seen the theatrical cut, but the DC is perfect.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 15, 2018

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Criterion for March:
Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour (1945)
Robert Zemeckis' I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978)
Carlos Reygadas' Japon (2002)
Ted Wilde and Harold Lloyd's The Kid Brother (1927)
Ingmar Bergman's The Magic Flute
Barbara Loden's Wanda (1970)

Detour and I Wanna Hold Your Hand are the big standouts this month. Definitely putting them on the wish list for the Summer sale.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Funny enough Jackson always preferred the shorter American cuts of his earlier films.

But I do hope we get the full NZ cut of Dead Alive when those 4K remasters roll in, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna go see Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary in theaters in a few days but I'm not going to pretend like every movie he's made in the last 15 years hasn't been poo poo

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm gonna go see Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary in theaters in a few days but I'm not going to pretend like every movie he's made in the last 15 years hasn't been poo poo

Oh so that's what Mortal Engines is about

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Chip scene is another good scene of highlighting the loss of Sarah Conner’s humanity, while providing John an opportunity to disagree with her and assert himself. I think there’s a lot to it.

Yup, it's also the moment the terminator becomes more than an automaton and you can see the change in his behaviour from that point onwards. It's a very efficient scene and and has some neat visual tricks. Real shame it's not in the theatrical, I really missed it when I saw it again the cinema last year.

I really like the sentry gun scene in Aliens too. The tension is great as you're watching the ammo count falling on the sentries before they retreat, and you know how hosed they are if the aliens come back that way.

It's where you're expecting them to come from again and it makes the reveal better.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nihonniboku posted:

As someone who thought that the Extended Editions of the original LOTR trilogy turned great movies into even better movies, I thought that the Extended Editions of the Hobbit trilogy would do the same thing.

And while it was cool seeing some of the extra scenes, especially all the added stuff with Gandalf at Dol Guldur. But the EE's didn't make them better movies.

Then I watched a fan edit that took out anything that wasn't in the original Hobbit book, and edited the trilogy down into one movie.

And it worked. It took 2 average movies and 1 poo poo movie, and turned them into one great movie.

There's a saying - writing is editing. And I imagine the same is true for movies. You can always add more, the secret is to know what to take away. The Hobbit is just bloated.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Hobbit is roughly 300 pages long. The Lord of the Rings is about 1200 pages in total. The former should not take the same amount of time to tell a story a quarter the length of the latter. They were a bloated mess and I have no desire to own them. Once in the theater was more than enough.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

We must've watched very different book-cut fan edits because the one I saw was still irredeemable garbage after all the compression and editing. The tone, sense of humor, characterization, and general taste are all trash and no edit can fix that.

Then again it sounds like you didn't loathe the theatrical cuts so we already started on vastly different pages.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Hobbit films are overlong because New Line (and Warners and MGM and so on) wanted them another big epic trilogy. Everyone at the time chalked it up entirely to Jackson’s self indulgence but the studios wanted it to be like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's a saying - writing is editing. And I imagine the same is true for movies. You can always add more, the secret is to know what to take away. The Hobbit is just bloated.
They should've taken away all of it

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

this is mine. I have a problem.

Pfff!

And there's another bookcase and a half.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steen71 posted:

Pfff!

*Jeff Foxworthy voice* Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu might be a hoarder

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

This was the original ending to Terminator 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEpjgFZpAt0

Thankfully someone realized it was a good idea to change it before the movie came out.

I disagree, I think that sappy ending would've been worth every Terminator movie after T2 not existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steen71 posted:

Pfff!

Some of those are probably doubles.

King Vidiot posted:

I disagree, I think that sappy ending would've been worth every Terminator movie after T2 not existing.

People say this, but why ruin the movie to prevent the sequels when you can just not watch them? And anyway it's not like the studio would just not make more of them if they'd really wanted to.