Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Is it any different than the opening of Dawn of the Dead? The whole “Woolley’s gone apeshit” scene might be the best save the cat of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna say, just the perspective we need on an uprising of the poor: a cop’s

You know how the Walking Dead and other bad zombie properties are about the fantasy of exterminating undesirables? What if we made a movie about that but from the perspective of people who already have that power?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Peppermint just came out.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
oh christ okay make the movie about a dude with a gopro then holy poo poo :jerkbag:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Peppermint just came out.

Are you posting there because you're saying it was horrifically bad?

because if so, I disagree, I thought it was a bit better than its reviews)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is it any different than the opening of Dawn of the Dead? The whole “Woolley’s gone apeshit” scene might be the best save the cat of all time

The third act of The First Purge is the opening of Dawn of the Dead '78.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

oh christ okay make the movie about a dude with a gopro then holy poo poo :jerkbag:
You're not wrong about it being an interesting premise for found footage, but I'm also not kidding about real police cam videos being far more upsetting than any horror movie you could make.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

You're not wrong about it being an interesting premise for found footage, but I'm also not kidding about real police cam videos being far more upsetting than any horror movie you could make.

I understand totally but I just thought the basic premise was interesting and was not expecting to have people think I want some weird racial genocide fantasy horror movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m not sure I really understand the whole killing zombies=murdering minorities connection? Besides, most (good) zombie movies aren’t about the zombies at all.

Have we considered zombie cop though?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Coffee And Pie posted:

My friend have you heard the good word about Maniac Cop 2? :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m not sure I really understand the whole killing zombies=murdering minorities connection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1fNO6bx48

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m not sure I really understand the whole killing zombies=murdering minorities connection? Besides, most (good) zombie movies aren’t about the zombies at all.

Zombies are other people that it’s okay to kill because they’re a mindless horde. Look at Fox News, Trump, or any conservative outlet talking about the migrant caravan, a group of people fleeing from horrific poverty and violence for a better life in America, as an existential threat to America, and look at the photos of women and children getting attacked with tear gas. See also, what kind of people horde guns because of the upcoming race wars? Bad zombie media gives these kind of people an outlet for their terror, a place where they can swap in any Other for the zombies getting mowed down.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

I know it's anime, but the zombie episode of Space Dandy was loving awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So I'm not like a big action figure/collectible statue of a nerd thing kind of person, neither is my wife. Like we each respectively have a few action figures or cheapo things laying around from years ago but we never got into getting a lot of them and displaying them on a shelf or whatever. If people want to do that it's cool, just not really for me.

And yet..........

Bloodbuster.com - Italian Actors

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was also a zombie craze among preppers starting in the late 2000s that only recently petered out where a fictional zombie apocalypse was used as the fantasy scenario for doomsday prep. It was mostly a nerd thing (it's a lot easier to get nerds interested in disaster preparedness if you can frame it as sci-fi horror instead of "be ready if a hurricane comes"), but it also attracted a lot of people who were clearly focusing most of their interest on the part about shooting moving targets and displayed a disturbing lack of care for whether or not they may have to kill their neighbors.

On the other hand, it doesn't necessarily mean that all zombie media is racist or that anyone who talks about zombie apocalypse prepping is secretly plotting to murder a crowd of Mexicans at the border. It's something to be taken in context with other evidence, like if you see someone wearing a Thor's Hammer necklace and find out that they're actually just Norwegian.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Not all zombie media is racist, and I think we all agree that Night of the Living Dead is about racism leading to our own undoing. Again, it’s the bad zombie fiction that just focuses on the slaughter and doesn’t use zombies as a stand-in for other societal ills like mass consumerism or racism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Look at literally any gun magazine, and realize that's your "zombie apocalypse" audience.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Zombies are other people that it’s okay to kill because they’re a mindless horde. Look at Fox News, Trump, or any conservative outlet talking about the migrant caravan, a group of people fleeing from horrific poverty and violence for a better life in America, as an existential threat to America, and look at the photos of women and children getting attacked with tear gas. See also, what kind of people horde guns because of the upcoming race wars? Bad zombie media gives these kind of people an outlet for their terror, a place where they can swap in any Other for the zombies getting mowed down.

I get that but like I can’t think of any movies where people take a “kill em all” kinda glee in killing zombies, it’s usually more offense and being sad for them. But then, I don’t really watch Walking Dead.

I feel like it’s less Bone Tomahawk and more Fight Club

Edit: Land of the Dead is a good example of this, also features a scene where the dead literally eat the rich

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 14, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I get that but like I can’t think of any movies where people take a “kill em all” kinda glee in killing zombies, it’s usually more offense and being sad for them. But then, I don’t really watch Walking Dead.

Did you never see Dawn of the Dead?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

When I was younger I liked the idea of zombie stuff because it seemed like the world's most dangerous game of tag :kiddo:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's pretty common with the shittier ones or action-oriented ones like the Resident Evil movies and the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. The Resident Evil series, in particular, ups the scale with each movie until you've got poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTh2EfD1dEU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Walking Dead is nominally about interpersonal conflicts leading to tragedy in the face of catastrophe, but when they have a closeup on a Gerber(R) knife set and show people hacking zombies apart with that poo poo, you can tell they’re appealing to baser desires.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Neo Rasa posted:

Did you never see Dawn of the Dead?

Yeah, actually in retrospect there is a group of humans enjoying the apocalypse: the nazi biker gang. Also it’s surprising how long it took me to notice all of the nazi poo poo they have.

Edit: I’m not saying it doesn’t appeal to those people but I think those people don’t get the point of most of those movies.

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 14, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

World War Z literally depicted the zombie threat as a faceless insect-like hivemind. Nearly all humanity was taken out of their movement as the masses rushed forward like a liquid wave, or constructed a tower out of its own horde.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, actually in retrospect there is a group of humans enjoying the apocalypse: the nazi biker gang. Also it’s surprising how long it took me to notice all of the nazi poo poo they have.

Now chew on this: the most popular character on the Walking Dead is a biker whose brother was a neo-Nazi.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

david_a posted:

I watched it at a midnight screening so maybe my memory of it isn’t the best, but I remember it being fairly slow and kinda boring.

I saw it at a midnight screening where the whole audience was cheering for the lions like it was pro wrestling. It owned, but YMMV.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Now chew on this: the most popular character on the Walking Dead is a biker whose brother was a neo-Nazi.

Is he also a Nazi?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is he also a Nazi?

From what I watched (didn’t even finish season 2 because show sucks mondo rear end), they never say he’s a Nazi, but they never NOT say he’s a Nazi, and he’s plagued by visions of his dead Nazi brother yelling at him.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

From what I watched (didn’t even finish season 2 because show sucks mondo rear end), they never say he’s a Nazi, but they never NOT say he’s a Nazi, and he’s plagued by visions of his dead Nazi brother yelling at him.

This is a pretty massive stretch dude.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
His popularity might have something to do with him being played by Norman Reedus, generally considered to be a pretty charming and good looking guy.

Unrelated to all this, I gotta say I love how close he and Hideo Kojima seem to be. It’s a shame whatever game PT was supposed to be never came to pass.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The show was pretty clear in showing that Darryl and his brother didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. I mean, he loved him because he was his brother but its obvious they were very very different people. I certainly wouldn't assume that he was a saint before we meet him in the show, but it's definitely a stretch to assume he was a neo-nazi.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

His popularity might have something to do with him being played by Norman Reedus, generally considered to be a pretty charming and good looking guy.

Unrelated to all this, I gotta say I love how close he and Hideo Kojima seem to be. It’s a shame whatever game PT was supposed to be never came to pass.

Yeah but now we get to see him being man pregnant because Kojima just went even crazier after Silent Hills got canceled.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but now we get to see him being man pregnant because Kojima just went even crazier after Silent Hills got canceled.

First real Sonic, now mpreg, the world has gotten extremely horny in a way I don’t really enjoy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

Some horror movies actually identify zombies as part of the oppressed underclass (Land of the Dead, Train to Busan, and even Pride and Prejudice and Zombies). In such films, the zombies are those so abject in their suffering that they've become lumpenproletariat; still acting, still consuming, but incapable of really thinking or organizing beyond a riot. "Living dead" because they're a mass of people with no actual community. Remember that the original zombie myth is the idea that plantation slave owners could use magic to obliterate your consciousness and keep you as a mindlessly obedient slave forever.

Zizek has talked about zombies as creatures of "pure habit," about how a zombie isn't frightening because it's alien, but because it's the "zero level" of humanity with all the higher functions and behaviours stripped away. I think there's an interesting point in that: if you watch Night of the Living Dead, a great deal of the horror rests on people seeing a familiar human being reduced to the level of a zombie. That still pops up in newer zombie movies as a brief, almost obligatory cliche, but you see more and more focus on following the formula where the heroes build a barricade and fight to keep the horde at bay.

That plays into a particularly American type of reactionary politics. (And props HUNDU for posting our brave IDF.) But a lot of this ideology isn't in the movies themselves--I have seen forums where preppers and wannabe preppers posted their lovely tacticLOL assault rifle or shotgun that they called their "zombie killer," with optional backup katana. People are watching these movies and taking all the wrong lessons.

I've been following some leftists doing disaster relief and other forms of mutual aid, and one of the things I've learned is that people aren't anywhere near as lovely to each other in disaster situations as post-apocalyptic media would have you believe. (And, historically, people who barricade themselves in a remote stronghold actually do far worse in failed states than tight-knit urban communities.) I'm a big fan of 80s-90s post-apoc movies, and I've noticed that they fall into two types: the Escape from New York style where social collapse has left a precarious society with a failing tyrannical state, and the Mad Max style where there simply is no society and no production, just scavenging and looting. In the United States, the latter has had far more popular influence.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Untrustable posted:

I feel there is, but anytime someone tries to put so much as a toe outside the usual 'zombies happen-world goes to poo poo' template, it gets backlash. Case in point, Warm Bodies was pretty much lambasted for being 'Twilight, but zombies' when once you either read the book or sit through the movie, that's not it at all. Zombification's able to be reversed so the world can start focusing on rebuilding. Granted the reversal's not without having repercussions, and for those too far gone into the very rotted corpse end of things there is no reversal. But it was an attempt at something different that had people trashing the film while still saying 'why isn't there anything new in the zombie genre?'.

Bookwise seems to be the best avenue to potentially see something different done with the genre.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Book-wise, The Girl With all the Gifts was good and a novel take on zombies but I haven't seen the movie adaptation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Book-wise, The Girl With all the Gifts was good and a novel take on zombies but I haven't seen the movie adaptation.

The movie is really cool but I never read the book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

From a political point of view, it's actually quite forgivable in the Resident Evil movies because in most of them, the horror of zombiedom is of being absorbed into the Umbrella Corporation itself. The antagonist is the Red Queen and the zombies are just extensions of Her will. In this particular film, the zombies are clones, and even when they're shown to have human consciousness, it's essentially an instance of a program on a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I still lol sometimes when I think of how in the movie lore sometimes wesker just has to gobble a dude right up