Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello, goons of CSPAM! Earlier this year, forums user AhhYes organized a charity drive for immigrants by goons that raised more than 20,000 dollars! Today (which is December 8, 2018, when I wrote this) I donated blood. I’m generally broke and bad with money so I often only donate between 10 and 20 dollars to charities when I can, but I routinely donate blood. And as I was doing it this time I thought, you know, why don’t we do a goon blood/plasma drive?

This is the picture I took of myself when I was giving blood over the last weekend, and had this idea. :)

So that’s what this is going to be! Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Sadly, I am broke, so I can’t do donation matching like AhhYes did. But if kind, well off goons would like to do donation matching,that would be super cool!

I will add a list of participants to the OP as time goes on. The cutoff for participation will be December 31st, 2018. Once the new year comes around, you won’t be able to get the gang tag for participation (until maybe next year if we do it again).

I’m not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

Let’s make the world a slightly better place, goons!

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP! Please choose charities based on need and their reputation for responsible service and do your research!

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

:siren: Two goons have respectively offered to match $500 and $2000 worth of charity donations itt. :siren:

Contributor list:

Stefan Prodan - $100 to GiveWell
Arrgytehpirate - $20 to GiveWell
an actual dog - $25 to RAINN
skeleton warrior - $50 to RAINN
Ryuga Death - $25 to RAINN
I did a thing - $25 to RAICES
RandomPauI - Volunteering at a blood center to assist with donations
withak - $50 to RAICES
Call Your Grandma - $50 to RAICES
e.e.coli - donation to RAICES
Buck Wildman - blood donation
jerry seinfel - $55 to GiveWell
Radish - $100 to the Young Center
Qu Appelle - $25 donation to RAICES
Shear Modulus - $20 monthly to Save the Children
gradenko_2000 - $10 to PCRF
Theris - $50 to RAICES
alnilam $280 to DWB/MSF, $250 to Save the Children
Turmoil - $50 to DWB/MSF
Ruzihm - $50 to Food Not Bombs
slouch - $45 to Annunciation House
Plank Walker - $50 to DWB/MSF
a helpful bear - $75 to RAICES
BraveUlysses - $250 to the Young Center (to own the chud)
Fallen Hamprince - $35 to RAICES
really queer Christmas - $50 to DWB/MSF
petit choux - $100 to DWB/MSF, blood donation
Ayn Randi - $50 to DWB/MSF
Ytlaya - $31.20 to the Innocence Project
DiscountDildos - $100 to DWB/MSF
Yinlock -$25 to RAICES
ajkalan - $30 to GiveWell, $50 to RAINN
Nate405 - $200 to GiveWell
ShriekingMarxist - $50 to RAINN, created the gang tag!
Pepperoneedy - $40 to RAINN
Bizarro Kanyon - $50 to the Young Center
Wyatt SYN-ACK - $35 to RAICES
Twoday - $20 to Givewell
SgtScruffy - blood donation
HugeGrossBurrito - $10 to RAINN
Muscle Wizard - $24.80 to Schools for Chiapas
Chard - blood donation
ur in my world now - $690(nice!) to DWB/MSF
Damo - $25 to RAINN
Nichael - $25 to RAINN
Thesaurus - $50 to the St. Francis Center
runupon cracker - $25 to the Palestine Children Relief Fund
Pand - blood donation
rabble rabble - $100 to DWB/MSF
BoredDG - blood donation
metalcontempt - blood donation

total for this thread is $3,471, not including conversions for foreign currencies.

total for both threads + donation matching is: $14,375.71!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you want I can give you the generic thanksgiving avatar of

to go with the gang tag.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Do we post in here to get the gang tag? There's no one else posting in here which makes me think I'm loving this up somehow???

Anyway I gave $100 to GiveDirectly so that some Kenyans can get a roof, that seems like a good use of my bux.

just the gang tag is fine with me, i can't betray gen. turgidson

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 23, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Do we post in here to get the gang tag? There's no one else posting in here which makes me think I'm loving this up somehow???

Anyway I gave $100 to GiveDirectly so that some Kenyans can get a roof, that seems like a good use of my bux.

you do post here yes! I wish more CSPAMers would post here, I made you guys a separate thread so you wouldn’t even have to go to D&D! :mad:

I will edit the OP with your name and amount contributed when I get home, thanks for participating!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I did the thing.

https://imgur.com/a/H3EcHrF

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They won't let me donate blood for another week, but I will do it then

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Terror Sweat posted:

They won't let me donate blood for another week, but I will do it then

Cool! The OP is now up to date with people who have contributed and posted, we need more CSPAM participation people!

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I'm matching $500 of donations between here and the D&D version of this thread

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
edit: I am illiterate.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pretty sure I can't donate blood because of homophobia

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

an actual dog posted:

gently caress man I thought about this when I had this idea but I didn’t realize it would be so many of you. I’m sorry. :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

gently caress man I thought about this when I had this idea but I didn’t realize it would be so many of you. I’m sorry. :(

nah it's cool I donated $25 to RAINN

give me puppies

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

an actual dog posted:

Yup, although now that it's a 12 month ban instead of lifetime in the US it hits a few less bi folks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm scheduled for my leeching bright and early X-Mas Eve. Will update then.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

The lovely administration staff at Something Awful have fixed the image uploading system, avatars will now commence for those who requested one of the new ones.

:siren: Please include in your post what avatar you want or if you don't want one, if you want to decline the gang tag, etc. We can keep your current avatar just add the gang tag if you prefer. :siren:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup, although now that it's a 12 month ban instead of lifetime in the US it hits a few less bi folks.

avoiding giving blood so no one knows that I'm not getting laid

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

an actual dog posted:

nah it's cool I donated $25 to RAINN

give me puppies

I matched your donation over in the D&D thread

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Apparently RAINN's website doesn't give you much of a receipt if you log in, so here's a c&p from a screen cap I took

$50 to RAINN, not that I can prove it without a bank statement, apparently

anyways, I'd like a gang tag, but I'm happy just donating, peace and love to you goons

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

I don't know if this is sufficient. If it isn't, I can PM a bank statement or something more concrete.

If this is good enough, I'd like just the gang tag as long as it doesn't get rid of SA donate tag thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know if this is sufficient. If it isn't, I can PM a bank statement or something more concrete.

If this is good enough, I'd like just the gang tag as long as it doesn't get rid of SA donate tag thing.

it's all good (also nothing can get rid of the sa donate tag)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There have been $220 of charity donations itt so far, plus matching by outside contributors. Good job so far but also where my CSPAM peeps at?

https://imgur.com/a/lkqzjw9

A kind poster has been matching all your donations btw, and I assume may continue to do so as I update the OP. :)

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 23, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was already signed up to work a Red Cross blood drive shift on the 31st anyways. I can't donate and the nearest fixed site is an hour away so I go with the mobile date/location that's the most convenient for me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RandomPauI posted:

I was already signed up to work a Red Cross blood drive shift on the 31st anyways. I can't donate and the nearest fixed site is an hour away so I go with the mobile date/location that's the most convenient for me.

If you have some kind of paperwork/proof to post for this that you can edit your name/personal information off I'm willing to accept it for the purposes of the avatar/gang tag.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Edit: I'd like the puppies and the gang tag please.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 24, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hay guys what's going on in this trhead.

I have a heart condition so the Red Cross refuses to stick me with a needle these days..

(tag only plz)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 24, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:siren: Please edit/state in your posts which avatar if any you want along with your gang tag, tia. :siren:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I like immigrants who don't get unjustly detained.

(just the tag plx)

Call Your Grandma fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 29, 2018

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

No av or tag, I'd just replace them anyways.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Can't do blood because the state of Georgia has dumb laws about doing that and fresh tats so I did a donation. No user AV but I'll be OK with the sweet gang tag.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I KNEW YOU C-SPAM FUCKS WOULD BLEED ME DRY ONE DAY

Gang tag plz

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Title changes are in queue so they should be changed next hit unless you didn’t say what you wanted when posting.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

gangtag me up

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I spent money on nerd poo poo so this is the least I can do.

Gang tag me please!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone here know if Save The Children is reputable and good? They have egood financials and seem pretty good. I know they had a sex scandal (?) in their executive ranks but that doesn't invalidate the rest of their operations, plus i think he's gone now

btw I donate a thousand dollars to Doctors Without Borders every year so you can count that if you want cspam, i'm only askin gabout this one because i also do an annual charity entry in a journal for my little nephew for xmas and i like to pick a new one every year to keep it interesting (otherwise it would be MSF 24/7 baby), alst year was hurricane maria relief in PR, this year I'm about to have achild of my own so I thought Save The Children could be nice. i like to keep it semi non political and child-friendly too bc i don't want to like, weaponize my christmas charity gift to him, even though my sister is cool and will make sure he grows up to care about stuff. don't worry i'll keep donating to that garbage in private

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I'd like a gang tag, please.

I gave to RAICES, and specifically to the Unaccompanied Children's Fund. This helps give legal representation to unaccompanied children, who would otherwise have to face the US Court System alone.

(Verified, so removing my receipt.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 29, 2018

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

If we're dustin' off the old Christmas classics, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH_2NyIu52I

Oh poo poo, wrong thread. Sorry. Imma give blood, don't worry.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does save the children count because ive been giving them $20 a month for a while

e: if it does i would like the kitty avatar and the gang tag

e2:

alnilam posted:

Does anyone here know if Save The Children is reputable and good? They have egood financials and seem pretty good. I know they had a sex scandal (?) in their executive ranks but that doesn't invalidate the rest of their operations, plus i think he's gone now

btw I donate a thousand dollars to Doctors Without Borders every year so you can count that if you want cspam, i'm only askin gabout this one because i also do an annual charity entry in a journal for my little nephew for xmas and i like to pick a new one every year to keep it interesting (otherwise it would be MSF 24/7 baby), alst year was hurricane maria relief in PR, this year I'm about to have achild of my own so I thought Save The Children could be nice. i like to keep it semi non political and child-friendly too bc i don't want to like, weaponize my christmas charity gift to him, even though my sister is cool and will make sure he grows up to care about stuff. don't worry i'll keep donating to that garbage in private

i think it's not terrible as far as charities go, but if you find otherwise let me know

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 27, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

From the river
To the sea
Palestine will be free

From the window
To the wall
Israel is gonna fall

(I'd like a gang tag, please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'd like the Thanksgiving av and gang tag, please.