Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never got what the hell they were trying to do with Billy Gunn. They obviously had the idea that he would be a big singles star, even having him win the King of the Ring. But they also allowed the Rock and Edge to completely loving destroy him on the mic without any sort of comeuppance. Between Rock doing an impression of Mr. rear end praying to God, and then Edge calling him Billy Bitchcakes and telling Regal "I'm not going to Billy Gunn my King of the Ring title" he never had a goddamn chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
iirc billy gunn king of the ring was one of the last big things russo worked on before he jumped ship to wcw, so after he left they scrapped the billy gunn singles push and had the rock go out there to euthanize him.

they tried to do "the one" billy gunn after the dx split, just a narcissist thing, but that was over and that was the last try at billy gunn singles push. not that he necessarily would've been a great world champ or anything, but i liked billy gunn at the ic level. i was a big new age outlaws mark tho.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

poo poo, that Wrestlemania XXX Shield match felt like so much longer than that. Maybe because I loving hate Billy Gunn.

Also, why is Michael so difficult for people to spell?

My middle name is even Michael.

Did Billy Gunn ever have a good promo that wasn't lead by someone else? Getting torn apart by The Rock or... loving Edge is fine if you're able to fire back, in the age of non-scripted promos. Foley never had and never would have "the look" but he was amazing on the mic and real good in the ring. Billy was not good on the mic and less good in the ring unless he was saving Road Dog from a beat down.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did Billy Gunn ever have a good promo that wasn't lead by someone else? Getting torn apart by The Rock or... loving Edge is fine if you're able to fire back, in the age of non-scripted promos. Foley never had and never would have "the look" but he was amazing on the mic and real good in the ring. Billy was not good on the mic and less good in the ring unless he was saving Road Dog from a beat down.

does yelling "EAT poo poo BITCH" at tanahashi count

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I never got what the hell they were trying to do with Billy Gunn. They obviously had the idea that he would be a big singles star, even having him win the King of the Ring. But they also allowed the Rock and Edge to completely loving destroy him on the mic without any sort of comeuppance. Between Rock doing an impression of Mr. rear end praying to God, and then Edge calling him Billy Bitchcakes and telling Regal "I'm not going to Billy Gunn my King of the Ring title" he never had a goddamn chance.

The line I prefer from Edge's promo was

"Billy, do me a favor; if it's my job to go WWE NY in a couple years and smile and eat a meatball sandwich, please come and shoot me in the head".

shiksa posted:

iirc billy gunn king of the ring was one of the last big things russo worked on before he jumped ship to wcw, so after he left they scrapped the billy gunn singles push and had the rock go out there to euthanize him.

they tried to do "the one" billy gunn after the dx split, just a narcissist thing, but that was over and that was the last try at billy gunn singles push. not that he necessarily would've been a great world champ or anything, but i liked billy gunn at the ic level. i was a big new age outlaws mark tho.

I also remember a RAW where Vince challenged Austin to a tag match against the Corporation and the story they were telling was that Austin might be screwed because he had no friends. Gunn comes out as his partner, with the implications that he agent doing it for Aystin, but because DX hated the Corporation and Billy wanted to be the main event. Good idea on paper.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 14, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"Billy, do me a favor; if it's my job to go WWE NY in a couple years and smile and eat a meatball sandwich, please come and shoot me in the head".

I also remember a RAW where Vince challenged Austin to a tag match against the Corporation and the story they were telling was that Austin might be screwed because he had no friends. Gunn comes out as his partner, with the implications that he agent doing it for Aystin, but because DX hated the Corporation and Billy wanted to be the main event. Good idea on paper.

they then did a match with billy gunn vs the DOA on sunday night heat where they just annihilated gunn as retaliation for daring to team with austin.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In all fairness to Billy Gunn, I would be incredibly stoked and thankful for my good fortune if my job was to eat a meatball sandwich.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

titties posted:

In all fairness to Billy Gunn, I would be incredibly stoked and thankful for my good fortune if my job was to eat a meatball sandwich.

The context of that burn is that the 1999 King of the Ring was left off the 2000 and 2001 cards, the latter of which is being referenced, because Gunn was sent to hang out at WWF New York instead of to the ring.

EDIT: Who are considered the worst Kings of the Ring? Mabel, Shamrock, Billy Gunn, and unfortunately Regal?

poo poo, I had completely forgotten that they brought it back randomly in 2010 and 2015 for Sheamus and Barrett, respectively.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 14, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mabel with a bullet. At least the other not-good KOTRs were at least OK wrestlers.

(Nelson Frazier's other gimmicks were better. VERY LIMITED, but better.)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Regal was in the middle of a really interesting heel run as GM when he won KotR but was either part of the big steroid thing in 08 or just randomly got popped on his own and got the plug pulled on his run before it actually went very far. Iirc it was like what they're doing now with Corbin except way less terrible because Regal is good.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

Regal was in the middle of a really interesting heel run as GM when he won KotR but was either part of the big steroid thing in 08 or just randomly got popped on his own and got the plug pulled on his run before it actually went very far. Iirc it was like what they're doing now with Corbin except way less terrible because Regal is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhegmMraczc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

Regal was in the middle of a really interesting heel run as GM when he won KotR but was either part of the big steroid thing in 08 or just randomly got popped on his own
He's been popped for steroids, but that may well have been for booze.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that's why I said unfortunately Regal. That entire run was incredible, and he was poised to be a General Manager, King of the Ring, and WWE Champion all at the same time. I'm glad he finally got himself the help he needed and has been doing great work since.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Regal's promo in NXT where he talks about how he coveted the WHC but he sabotaged himself before he could get it is kinda really emotional.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

Regal's promo in NXT where he talks about how he coveted the WHC but he sabotaged himself before he could get it is kinda really emotional.

It's also a great promo where he gets the storyline for the match over in like 90 seconds.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

titties posted:

This reminds me of this time when Cryme Tyme did this backstage skit done in the form of a commercial where various wrestlers were shown suddenly missing stuff due to being robbed by Cryme Tyme. One of these scenes was Viscera getting ready to eat a steak, only to see it gone and being pissed.

This led to a great WWE.com article where someone was talking about how bizarre it is that Mabel was reprogrammed into being a goth monster by the Undertaker years ago and is the only member of that stable to never be deprogrammed. And now his job is to be flown across the country so he can eat a steak and nobody else thinks that any of this is weird.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Daddy V is so weird in retrospect. It's like Tatanka resurgence level stuff with a New Generation guy you probably wrote off years prior not only still being around(or coming back in Tatanka's case) but being pushed as a contender again. PCO would be King of this I suppose if he ever managed to get WWE to take him back.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

remusclaw posted:

Big Daddy V is so weird in retrospect. It's like Tatanka resurgence level stuff with a New Generation guy you probably wrote off years prior not only still being around(or coming back in Tatanka's case) but being pushed as a contender again. PCO would be King of this I suppose if he ever managed to get WWE to take him back.

pco just signed a ring of honor deal so he fulfilled step one of the prophecy.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Isn't that Former X Division Champion PCO?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The best thing that Billy Gunn’s ever been even tangentially associated with is @BillyGunnFact

https://twitter.com/billygunnfact/status/1072301209913122816?s=21
https://twitter.com/billygunnfact/status/1071925021113765890?s=21
https://twitter.com/billygunnfact/status/1071451534221819904?s=21
https://twitter.com/billygunnfact/status/1071070598057639942?s=21

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The FameAsser attacks the head, which has been established as the mistake Thor made in his attempt. The logic checks out.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
y'all remember that one time Sid Vicious insulted himself cutting a promo with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall? hahaha what a half-brained dumbass

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Has Johnny Gargano ever won a match of importance?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean he won the Ironman Heavymetalweight Title one time https://youtu.be/HkPVHQ-IImo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He won that #1 contender 4-way.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Gunn also had to take year off after tearing his rotator cuff not long after winning KotR. Edge saying he wouldn't "Billy gunn" it always made me laugh because he kind of did for a number of years before he really hit his stride as the rated r superstar.

Also never forget that Ken Shamrock is the only real King of Kings, having beaten Hhh and Owen Hart in a King of Kings match when they fought over who was the best KotR.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Dammit I'm a page late but the CM Punk vs Homocide match that went out of the arena and into the strip club next door was hysterical

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Has Johnny Gargano ever won a match of importance?

the first big match against Ciampa

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

the escape goat posted:

the first big match against Ciampa

Wasn't important though they dragged the feud out with two more matches

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was important for like a week and a half.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

Dammit I'm a page late but the CM Punk vs Homocide match that went out of the arena and into the strip club next door was hysterical

"YOU'RE A WHOOOOOOOOOORE"

haha what a misogynistic jerk that CM Punk guy

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
He may have been right though, I wouldn't put it past him to have first hand knowledge of that woman's whore status.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

He may have been right though, I wouldn't put it past him to have first hand knowledge of that woman's whore status.

(because he had to pay her to gently caress him)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
sometimes I really suck at joke delivery and I'm sorry

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats your avatar

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats your avatar

Twisty!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anime is blood, c/d?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's the best place to find RINGS footage now that real hero is gone (rip)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats your avatar

I posted in fYAD and now I am in the Twisty Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Dick Bastardly posted:

"YOU'RE A WHOOOOOOOOOORE"

haha what a misogynistic jerk that CM Punk guy

Insulting strippers, just like insulting drug users, is a tremendous heel move that displays peerless villainy. Also, the part where Punk swung around the pole to deliver a kick was great.