Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
The purpose of the free gold isn't to get you to appreciate them or play the game more -- it's to get you *used* to spending gold for things, so that it seems like less of a barrier to spend real money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Except the only thing you can buy with gold right now is Barbie poo poo and since coveralls are free and also the best ??????

I’m very bitter

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ICMB posted:

The purpose of the free gold isn't to get you to appreciate them or play the game more -- it's to get you *used* to spending gold for things, so that it seems like less of a barrier to spend real money on it.

Right but if you just never buy the stuff out of principle it is convenient to have some for whatever dumb cosmetics you might want. 30 gold plus whatever I get playing the game is plenty for me, it's not like I'm going to spend the rest of my life cowboyin'.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I want to farm animal mats to craft stuff from the SP. I want my god drat fur lined coyote scout jacket with boar fringed champs god damnit.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

The Varmint Rifles aren;t 1 shot head shotters at long range, are they? I assumed that was regular rifle only.

Yes they are, and they are OP as hell. Very fast targeting and reload.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Vox Nihili posted:

it's not like I'm going to spend the rest of my life cowboyin'.

I am, god willing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Except the only thing you can buy with gold right now is Barbie poo poo and since coveralls are free and also the best ??????

I’m very bitter

If you spent money on gold for something you can't actually buy with the gold then you should ask for a refund, friend.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Man what is wrong with people?
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/a67rgz/thank_you_r_for_finally_opening_up_the_store_now/

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I don't plan on playing online until they remove auto aim or put in some sort of anti-greifing system. Last few times I played I get one shot killed way too often and they often downed my horse forcing me to use horse revivers or nag it back to the stables. Half the time I picked up my horse they made me pay for the vet fees.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'll sign in to get my gold but they really need to add more content

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vox Nihili posted:

If you spent money on gold for something you can't actually buy with the gold then you should ask for a refund, friend.

I was thinking about it but on the other hand I’ll eventually have something to spend it on so why not.

I just really wanted a good horse and was excited to get one.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Necrosaro posted:

I don't plan on playing online until they remove auto aim or put in some sort of anti-greifing system. Last few times I played I get one shot killed way too often and they often downed my horse forcing me to use horse revivers or nag it back to the stables. Half the time I picked up my horse they made me pay for the vet fees.

You can just leave and go to another server instantly though?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

free gold is cool, there’s some cosmetics I want but didn’t want to blow all my gold buying so this’ll cover that. you can’t really level lock jump anything that’s unfair, which I think is good even though I really want the Springfield already

it’s honestly not hard to make money at all if you enjoy hunting and fishing, which I do. im pulling in 180-200 dollars every 45 minutes or so moving at a leisurely pace. gets me a decent amount of exp though nothing compared to what people toiling grinding exploits are getting, but I don’t know how people do that. seems like it would just suck the joy out of the game, especially this early in where there’s not a ton of content so meandering around making money is pretty much The Game.

also I’m itching for more content too but like, the game has been out for like 19 days and it’s in beta. maybe give them at least a month to start releasing DLC

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The guy also apparently thought the game was going to be complete garbage based on his post history lol

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

There seems to be a bit if people who absolutely despise this game and I just dont understand them. Like I can understand not liking the sluggish mechanics and glut of unnecessary actions but these people will spit hot venom when you say you like it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mandrel posted:

also I’m itching for more content too but like, the game has been out for like 19 days and it’s in beta. maybe give them at least a month to start releasing DLC

but my gamer entitlements

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hihohe posted:

There seems to be a bit if people who absolutely despise this game and I just dont understand them. Like I can understand not liking the sluggish mechanics and glut of unnecessary actions but these people will spit hot venom when you say you like it.

Gaming purists, mostly. It's a story/theme/aesthetics-driven game and some people only want anyone to play maximum challenge spreadsheet roguelikes or something. They can't appreciate the simple pleasure of killing a buck with an arrow from horseback and skinning the carcass in ultra-HD. For this, I pity them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Necrosaro posted:

Good news is they specifically said in the last patch notes they're working on anti-griefing systems.

Which is good news because it really feels like the game is designed for griefing but I think they just threw it together in like a month and based it mostly on GTAO (which IS designed for griefing) to start with.

I didn't have much faith in R* based on GTAO but so far the team working on RDRO seems to both be willing to adjust and listen to feedback about making the game fun, and also have the resources to do quick turnaround on changes and fixes. That said, they may just be trying to get it popular so they can later milk it for more money, but you know.

TulliusCicero posted:

You can just leave and go to another server instantly though?

This is a pretty poo poo response dude, comeon. You really need this spelled out for you?

This is like responding to a game-breaking bug with "well you can always load your save game" You sure can, but it doesn't remove potential frustration. And if you keep getting shut down whenever you try to hunt or do a mission, eventually you're just gonna give up.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

lol if you think that "anti-greifer system" means players wont be shooting you in the head until you get good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HORMELCHILI posted:

lol if you think that "anti-greifer system" means players wont be shooting you in the head until you get good

Funny, I don't think anybody in this thread said anything of the sort :jerkbag: Jeeze some goons are desperate to feel smug.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Funny, I don't think anybody in this thread said anything of the sort :jerkbag:

youre constantly bitching about not being able to hold your own online and got really excited at the mention of anti-greifing system

titties
May 10, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

No need to do either of those things. Revive your horse from the player menu, if you don't have insurance there's a 2 minute cooldown before you can summon her.

titties
May 10, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

youre constantly bitching about not being able to hold your own online and got really excited at the mention of anti-greifing system

I like how there is literally no reason to kill someone but people do it anyway

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

Quote the post. Didn't happen.

I reassured someone else who complained about being griefed, and discussed what Rockstar themselves have said they're gonna do.

You are making poo poo up so you can feel good about yourself. Really weird dude.

I made one post about griefing when you're hunting being annoying like 100 pages ago, that's constantly bitching? lmao

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Last night my friends and I completed a stranger mission and two posses followed us to the completion point and killed us over and over and the parley prompt never appeared so that was fun as heck alright but I guess we're all ~*carebears*~ or whatever because we didn't find this interesting or entertaining at all.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I reassured someone else who complained about being griefed, and discussed what Rockstar themselves have said they're gonna do.

You are making poo poo up so you can feel good about yourself. Really weird dude.

I made one post about griefing when you're hunting being annoying like 100 pages ago, that's constantly bitching? lmao

annoying 100 pages ago?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Last night my friends and I completed a stranger mission and two posses followed us to the completion point and killed us over and over and the parley prompt never appeared so that was fun as heck alright but I guess we're all ~*carebears*~ or whatever because we didn't find this interesting or entertaining at all.

Just git gudder at shooting people so they ragequit

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hihohe posted:

Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 are basically the most expensive jank games ever made. Every single criticism of them is true, but if they work for you (like it does for me) then there's nothing else like them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mycot posted:

Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 are basically the most expensive jank games ever made. Every single criticism of them is true, but if they work for you (like it does for me) then there's nothing else like them.

This.

I can't even get mad at people that don't like these games, because every problem they have is totally true.

But gently caress if I don't love them in spite of those problems.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I heard they opened up the store, finally. Came here to watch goons meltdown over that but I'm here to stay and watch Zaphod ruin another thread.

Has anyone done the minimum wage math for ye olde shark cards yet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I heard they opened up the store, finally. Came here to watch goons meltdown over that but I'm here to stay and watch Zaphod ruin another thread.

Has anyone done the minimum wage math for ye olde shark cards yet?

From reddit:

quote:

garreth_vlox Score hidden · 19 minutes ago So here's the math for everyone out there thinking I'll just grind out my gold in pvp matches like I have been hearing people say they will. At 10$ per 25 gold bars you are paying 1 dollar per 2.5 gold bars. At current payout rates on pvp modes being .08 gold per match you have to complete 31 matches to earn the same amount of gold that you can buy with 1 dollar and with average match times running around 10 minutes you have to play roughly 5 hours to earn 2.5 gold bars meaning you are making around 10 cents an hour worth of gold playing in pvp lobbies...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
thank you I knew I could count on you powershift.

:lol: that's even more harsh than GTAO

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Zaphod42 posted:

Every post you make is complaining. You poo poo up every thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just went hunting, got shot 2 times trying to go to the butcher and my skins and carcass didn't despawn off my horse like normal.

Maybe I got lucky? maybe a bug? Or maybe already some quick turnaround on adjusting the game to make griefing less of a big deal. Since death doesn't cost you anything it doesn't really matter otherwise.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Zaphod, please, that's enough

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mycot posted:

At some point Rockstar really needs to take a look at how more competitive 3rd person shooters made by other studios control and just copy the core mechanics or something. I don't even mind the clunky movement but good god their take on aiming is bad bad bad.

I mean the lock-on aim does let me murder screaming teens online at an incredible rate but it just feels a bit hollow, you know? I use free aim in single player and it's like aiming a tank turret.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

At some point Rockstar really needs to take a look at how more competitive 3rd person shooters made by other studios control and just copy the core mechanics or something. I don't even mind the clunky movement but good god their take on aiming is bad bad bad.

I mean the lock-on aim does let me murder screaming teens online at an incredible rate but it just feels a bit hollow, you know? I use free aim in single player and it's like aiming a tank turret.

Dude I love the way I can pop heads. It's the most satisfying feeling I've gotten out of two joysticks and an internet connection

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Vox Nihili posted:

I feel like if they wanted to they would have, you know? The clunky running and walking and little jumps that inevitably cause you to ragdoll on a rock all kinda go hand-in-hand with the gunplay. It doesn't really work for competitive multiplayer in any real sense because of how chunky it is and only really succeeds in spite of all that because of how fun it to screw around and give your guy a hat in a huge, cool-looking open world.

Honestly aside from the production values the actual core gameplay of GTAO isn't really any different than that multiplayer San Andreas mod someone made that was basically just goons trying to do stupid motorcycle tricks and blow poo poo up, Rockstar just made a billion dollars from it this time and are inevitably gonna make a billion more from RDO. They have zero incentive to change when people are more than willing to give them money for the awkward multiplayer mod they slapped onto their single player game.

But as long as they keep making full single player games before inevitably selling dumbasses gold-plated horse saddles and saloon player bases for like $80 USD I'm cool with it so grift on you beautiful bastards :patriot:

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Mandrel posted:

it’s honestly not hard to make money at all if you enjoy hunting and fishing, which I do. im pulling in 180-200 dollars every 45 minutes or so moving at a leisurely pace. gets me a decent amount of exp though nothing compared to what people toiling grinding exploits are getting, but I don’t know how people do that.

What are you hunting/fishing that brings in a couple hundred bucks per 45 min? I enjoy doing those things but haven’t made nearly that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So I'm trying to complete the kit satchel. Any tips on finding and getting the perfect panther skin? I found one near Braithwaithe but other than that I got nothing.