Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
To co-feature to Canelo tomorrow night was supposed to be David Lemieux-Tureano Johnson but it's been canceled because Lemieux was hospitalized because of the weight cut. Tevin Farmer-Francisco Fonesca will be moved up to co-main.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/12/14/18141107/canelo-vs-rocky-david-lemieux-off-the-card

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1073618938959986694?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, a bit out of left field but did anyone else find the their love of boxing complicated by an increased awareness of concussions and the long term health effects? It's been weighing on me lately.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, a bit out of left field but did anyone else find the their love of boxing complicated by an increased awareness of concussions and the long term health effects? It's been weighing on me lately.

It has done for me big time in both boxing and mma.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this. i get brain damage for fun and fitness. pros do it for money. regardless of our job we trade our physical / intellectual / emotional energy and the most productive hours of the most productive years of our life in exchange for cash. it's a trade.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i dont assume theyre all too stupid to realize what theyre gettin into

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's not enough to make me not enjoy combat sports, but it's definitely present. It's hard not to empathize.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Definitely thought about it a lot back when Nick Blackwell has put into a coma after his fight with Eubank.

I think a lot of the cliche defenses fans give aren't really sufficient either.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes and no. I mean, we’ve always known that getting punched directly in the brain is horrendous for you. Now we just know that pretty much every boxer doesn’t escape the sport unscathed. But guys have been getting killed and vegetabled in the ring since boxing has existed. It comes with the territory.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not so much here and MMA, but with football I've completely fell off, those reports showed that the NFL tried until the very end to deny/hide the damage that was being done to the players long term health totally put me off. With the combat sports I feel like most people go into knowing what theyt're getting into

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

I got a concussion in a match in a kickboxing tournament mid 2017. Took me forever to stop psyching myself out with whether I was experiencing symptoms long-term. Couldn't quite train the same way after.
I used to pay the most attention to how tired fighters were getting, to try to study the nuances of their output and technique to see how much gas they had left.
After the concussion, I've latched onto scrutinizing how badly they're affected by strong hits. Like once someone stumbles a little bit, I can't watch anything else but how much they're handling being rocked.

The worst fights are those where a guy gets rocked but has enough wherewithal to teeter around the ring with guard up and keep eating shots until the bell.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the best argument against "these guys know what they're getting into" is that most of the top guys start when they're literally children and don't actually know the risks really. I was watching a fight the other day where Abner Mares and Holyfield were commenting and they said they started boxing at ages 7 and 8 respectively. Mayweather started boxing at like age 5. Alvarez was a pro fighter when he was 14. Your brain is still developing until you're in your early 20s.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think the best argument against "these guys know what they're getting into" is that most of the top guys start when they're literally children and don't actually know the risks really. I was watching a fight the other day where Abner Mares and Holyfield were commenting and they said they started boxing at ages 7 and 8 respectively. Mayweather started boxing at like age 5. Alvarez was a pro fighter when he was 14. Your brain is still developing until you're in your early 20s.

Right, that's an excellent point, along with the conventional wisdom that says boxers come from poor backgrounds and wouldn't be putting themselves through it otherwise. And even setting aside consent, the more aware of it I become the more it colors the events I watch

Joyce Carol Oates, "On Boxing" posted:

If boxing is a sport it is the most tragic of all sports because more than any human activity it consumes the very excellence it displays-its drama is this very consumption. To expend oneself in fighting the greatest fight of one's life is to begin by necessity that downward turn that next time may be a plunge, an abrupt fall into the abyss.

"On Boxing" would be my number one recommendation to anyone who wants a book on the subject. I was in my early 20's when I first read it and, while it certainly left an impression on me then, it's speaking to me even more today. When I watched the Fury/Wilder fight, specifically the final round when Fury got up from a huge shot and absorbed a few more punches, and I just can't enjoy it so uncritically. I still love the sport but I'm personally more affected by the damage they're taking than I used to be. I mean, I'm noticing things like this are showing up on youtube along side highlights.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 15, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This loving UK anthem guy is annoying

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I guess Canelo isn't smashing him for reasons? Guy will be a sitting duck by the 5th with all these body shots.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Probably not a good thing for the lighter punching fighter who has a massive height and reach advantage to try and fight on the inside

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made
Verbal Submission via Strikes, interesting

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I got hit in the head, gently caress this.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
congratulations Canelo on beating the 5th best British super middleweight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Now that all the big fights have happened, I figured I'd post my end of year boxing awards:

Fighter of the Year: Oleksandr Usyk: Started the year with a fight of the year candidate against Mairis Breidis, then put a domination on Murat Gassiev to fully unify the cruiserweight division, then ended the year with a KO defence against big name Tony Bellew. In the span of a year he cemented his status as a top 2 cruiserweight of all time, and also got his name into the heavyweight discussion as a darkhorse challenger. Not bad.

Comeback of the Year: Tyson Fury: From a suicidal 400 pound mess to arguably the #1 heavyweight in the world again and right back in the mix at the very top of the division. The heavyweight division and boxing in general is much better with Tyson Fury involved.

KO of the Year: Teofimo Lopez KO1 Mason Menard: The most extravagant KO I saw this year.

Round of the Year: Round 4 of Alex Saucedo vs Lenny Zappavigna : Pure violence. Also a candidate for fight of the year.

Fight of the Year: Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury: Biggest event/fight of big names outside of GGG/Canelo II, singlehandedly shook up the heavyweight division and got the mainstream sports media to rabidly discuss heavyweight boxing for the first time in forever, somehow made the #1 ranked Joshua seem like an afterthought. Not a traditional choice for fight of the year, which usually goes to the fight with the most punches thrown/landed or most damage done without a KO, but it was tense throughout and round 12 was one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen in boxing.

Top 10 Pound for Pound:

1. Vasyl Lomachenko
2. Terence Crawford
3. Oleksandr Usyk
4. Mikey Garcia
5. Naoya Inoue
6. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai
7. Saul Alvarez
8. Gennady Golovkin
9. Errol Spence Jr.
10. Oscar Valdez

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
good list. the fight of the year is inarguable imo and the cruiserweight gp was easily the best and most intriguing concept in boxing this year so its eventual winner deserves fighter of the year for sure

Cigar Aficionado posted:

KO of the Year: Teofimo Lopez KO1 Mason Menard: The most extravagant KO I saw this year.

this is loving grim. no poo poo if i was this dude's corner i would have thrown the towel in after that first combo. you'll have to watch it to get what i mean, but i don't think i've ever cottoned on to a skill differential that vast so quickly before an i actually got genuinely scared for the guy's safety. anyway here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzZvhL-AAY

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think there's a bit of recency bias in that list.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have no loving clue why anyone thinks the Wilder Fury fight was good other than the drama of 2 "top" guys fighting each other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

I have no loving clue why anyone thinks the Wilder Fury fight was good other than the drama of 2 "top" guys fighting each other.

yeah man you told us on the day.

i'm curious though what do you actually like about boxing? because this fight featured an entertaining pre-fight build up to a relevant and important match, a referee that allowed the fighters to fight, slick offensive and defensive boxing, exhibitions of extreme power, championship level displays of heart, a human being getting extremely hurt, coming back from the brink of defeat - twice, conquering extreme adversity, and at the end of it all both men gave his opponent the respect they each thoroughly earned.

the only things that the fight didn't have was competent judging and a knockout, although we arguably saw a knockout.

so. what is it you like about boxing exactly?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I would consider Wilder-Ortiz as FOTY even though it was less significant because it was a better fight overall, but I'm not going to argue too much against Wilder-Fury

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Gozinbulx posted:

Compare it to Fury klitschko

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Apparently WBO Super Middleweight champion Gilberto "Zurdo" Ramirez is moving to 175. Potential match-ups with Oleksandr Gvozdyk (WBC), Artur Beterbiev (IBF), Demitry Bivol (WBA), and the Eleider Alvarez/Sergei Kovalev winner (WBO) await. Along with guys like Badou Jack and up and comers Anthony Yarde and Marcus Browne, 175 is stacked now.

This leaves 168 pretty barren. Callum Smith is now the undisputed #1 guy in the division. Other than David Benavidez, all the other challengers at 168 are retreads.

EDIT: It's been announced that Badou Jack will fight Marcus Browne on the Pacquiao/Broner undercard. Considering they're ranked #1 and #2 by the WBC and WBA, the winner could conceivably become the mandatory to both Gvozdyk and Bivol.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 17, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I liked Wilder-Fury, how can you not like the classic "big puncher goes after more a technical, defensive fighter". There's tension the whole time and, almost certainly, moments of real crisis.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

i'm curious though what do you actually like about boxing?

If you think Wilder Fury is all boxing has to offer wooo boy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gozinbulx posted:

He offered a lot of things that one could like about the fight -- can you offer commentary on what you didn't find entertaining in those specific areas?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

You are like an infant child that can only express dissatisfaction and frustration by crying

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

You are like an infant child that can only express dissatisfaction and frustration by crying

lol ya

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSQGQvUCpM4

This is such a cool fight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm slowly phone typing my way to a new and long overdue OP hopefully I'll be ready to post it by 2022 or so.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Just a read an article where Eddie Hearn said that he hasn't spoken to Usyk's camp but that in theory he could fight Joshua in April if they can't find anyone else and he's up for it.

Obviously this would be an odd move by Usyk as his first heavyweight fight. Buuuttt..

Just for the sake of argument, would he stand a chance? What do you think?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Usyk is heavier that Wilder, so it's not ridiculous he could compete with Joshua.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

Just lol.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Quizzlefish posted:

Just a read an article where Eddie Hearn said that he hasn't spoken to Usyk's camp but that in theory he could fight Joshua in April if they can't find anyone else and he's up for it.

Obviously this would be an odd move by Usyk as his first heavyweight fight. Buuuttt..

Just for the sake of argument, would he stand a chance? What do you think?

I'm a big Usyk fan, but I can't see him beating Joshua. Yeah, Wilder might be lighter than him, but Wilder is 6'7 and one of the hardest punchers ever. He's a freak. Usyk has decent but unspectacular pop at cruiserweight and would almost certainly only have marginal power at heavyweight. He's also physically ordinary for the division: 6'3, 78" reach, probably wouldn't weigh any more than 220-225. He'd have to basically count on fighting a perfect fight, not being tagged hard once by Joshua in 12 rounds.

I don't see him beating Fury either. I could see him beating Wilder due to Wilder's wild style, 50/50 with him getting KOed.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

joshua struggled with parker and takam. i wouldn’t write usyk off tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

He’s right lol