Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

concise posted:

Also, is there a good way to copy orders between ships?

Not quite sure what you're asking. If you hold shift and left click you can select multiple ships, is that not what you're looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xanif posted:

Not quite sure what you're asking. If you hold shift and left click you can select multiple ships, is that not what you're looking for?

Copying default orders, I think.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Also copying configuration of current orders in the behavior tab would be nice too.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
1.50 is up on the beta branch.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/discussions/0/2806204039995510767/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"Fixed ships flying huge curves when going long distances."

I thought of this as more of a feature.

Edit: lol - "Fixed Acquire Captain mission being available for spacesuit."

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does perhaps confuse people into thinking the autopilot is broken if they aren't expecting it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

quote:

Added option to undock and abort ship upgrades that are waiting for resources.

I hope this fixes my nemesis which is currently completely stuck at a wharf trying to sell an extra advanced satellite. The game won't even let me kick the captain out of the pilot's chair or fire him.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

quote:

Fixed reversed front/back speakers.

Thank you god

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

quote:

Fixed Assassination missions selecting player-owned NPC's as mission-target.

Bullshit. They knew the risks when they took the job. Game sucks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
They are fixing the MIN reputation issues :buddy: No more "oops we gave you the next rank early. but none of the upgrades"

Now to hope they don't still end up being the second smallest subfaction in the game by far. (Poor, Poor ALI.)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 14, 2018

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Now that Betty narrates things again please mod in the Rebirth copilot saying "shut up Betty" every 45 seconds.

Also nobody kink shame me

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Squiggle posted:

Now that Betty narrates things again please mod in the Rebirth copilot saying "shut up Betty" every 45 seconds.

Also nobody kink shame me

You are why we can't have nice things.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

xanif posted:

The best way to get decent managers is to yank your captain off the trade ships that you should be running to gain rep. Trading gives management xp to captains.

X4 talk: Has anyone found out any reason to use any destroyer other than the paranid one? ARG destroyer is more maneuverable and much tankier but give up 4 turret slots and the medium hangar bay to do it. Same with the TEL destroyer. No medium landing pad, less maneuverable than paranid, fewer turrets with a poor layout.

Please give more details about these rep routes

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Trading with faction increases rep with that faction. It's usually fractions of a point, but easily adds up over time if you get a bunch of traders going.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Go to a par wharf. Get the single seat scout with 3 engines and one fixed hard point (forget the name of the ship). Slap some travel engines on it and right click anywhere on the map and select auto-trade galaxy.

You now have a "trade" ship that travels at 6 km/s with a fairly cheap fit. It looks like it's just the number of transactions that affect rep rather than quantity of goods.

Spread these across the galaxy (send one to ARG, one to PAR, one to MIN, etc) before you set autotrade in order to gain rep with all factions. It seems to base out of whatever system you issued the auto-trade command in so you can maximize your rep with all factions.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xanif posted:

Go to a par wharf. Get the single seat scout with 3 engines and one fixed hard point (forget the name of the ship). Slap some travel engines on it and right click anywhere on the map and select auto-trade galaxy.

You now have a "trade" ship that travels at 6 km/s with a fairly cheap fit. It looks like it's just the number of transactions that affect rep rather than quantity of goods.

Spread these across the galaxy (send one to ARG, one to PAR, one to MIN, etc) before you set autotrade in order to gain rep with all factions. It seems to base out of whatever system you issued the auto-trade command in so you can maximize your rep with all factions.

It's not a bad idea to have them going anyway to help supply ship building, you may want to limit them to whatever resources are the actual bottleneck, but that will take time and seems to be different from game to game. (but usually it's the parts right before ship that jam up).

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, thanks guys.

I wish it were possible to set multiple builders to one station, and if it is, I’m blind as gently caress. I’m building an ore refinery with three refineries and it’s taking forever

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How do I get my drill vanguards to only feed my refinery?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Select one, right click refinery, set "mine for"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How do I get my drill vanguards to only feed my refinery?

Also make sure you have the correct storage at the station for whatever you’re mining, lost 2 hours trying to figure that one out.

I've downloaded 1.5 Beta 1 and it seems most of the right-click orders are gone. No way to set Import, for example, and AutoTrade is available only through Default Behavior.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 15, 2018

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I've finally started messing around with building stations and it's night and day how much better this modular system is compared to the X3 games. Being able to design a whole complex in one shot is so much less painful. And having the option of just letting NPCs bring you the materials for an added cost is a decent way to remove micromanagement, while still rewarding you for doing it.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So I built a station that churns out engine parts. I set my freighter to trade for the station and it decided to only take 46 engine parts despite there being 900 available.

Is anyone else having issues getting their trade ships to be not dumb when interacting with your station?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

xanif posted:

So I built a station that churns out engine parts. I set my freighter to trade for the station and it decided to only take 46 engine parts despite there being 900 available.

Is anyone else having issues getting their trade ships to be not dumb when interacting with your station?

Ships can only trade point-to-point, they can't just load up and then go and sell to several stations. I hope they fix this in an update, I believe the X3 traders could sell to several systems.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

Ships can only trade point-to-point, they can't just load up and then go and sell to several stations. I hope they fix this in an update, I believe the X3 traders could sell to several systems.

Ok but every wharf in the game (except for ARG) is out of engine parts. Like...open orders for 1400 parts at multiple stations and my freighter decided "46 seems like a good number." No idea why.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

xanif posted:

Ok but every wharf in the game (except for ARG) is out of engine parts. Like...open orders for 1400 parts at multiple stations and my freighter decided "46 seems like a good number." No idea why.

It was probably the first/closest trade it could find. It really sucks when you finally buy an L freighter and the first thing it does is go to your megafactory and pick up 20 energy cells...

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

It was probably the first/closest trade it could find. It really sucks when you finally buy an L freighter and the first thing it does is go to your megafactory and pick up 20 energy cells...

Will it eventually stop being dumb af or do I need to do every freighter run manually? I spent 2 hours last night just watching my transport ships move around to understand what they're doing.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get one trade ship to pick up items from a specific station and drop them off to a specific station repeatedly? I can’t see any trade route options

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just had one of my freighters in X rebirth instantly destroyed by an "Unknown Station" in a friendly sector with no hostile stations OOS. how the hell can that happen?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

xanif posted:

Will it eventually stop being dumb af or do I need to do every freighter run manually? I spent 2 hours last night just watching my transport ships move around to understand what they're doing.

People have said that setting the default behavior to auto trade works better but for that the pilot needs to have 3 stars in Piloting. If you want to make mad cash just buy mining ships, 2 of each (gas and minerals) bring in good cash to start your empire with.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I just had one of my freighters in X rebirth instantly destroyed by an "Unknown Station" in a friendly sector with no hostile stations OOS. how the hell can that happen?

I remember this! The X3 economy engine adds and removes stations randomly to keep things mixed up. Your ship was in a station when it got removed. That's Egosoft!

Strigil
Oct 26, 2004

Happy Underpants posted:

I remember this! The X3 economy engine adds and removes stations randomly to keep things mixed up. Your ship was in a station when it got removed. That's Egosoft!

I do not think the stations get removed in Rebirth, they can be attacked and destroyed, but they will eventually get repaired. My guess is that there is a hostile station that was not discovered in the sector that it was attacked in. They can exist in friendly sectors, but usually well away from the highways. Which sector was it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So I'm just starting out in this. I believe I've seen talk about starter mission to get you set up. How do those come about? I chose the basic Argon start that but I don't see any missions anywhere (I do see the tutorials and I did a few). Right now I don't see any sort of direction at all, my only option being to fly away in search of things to do. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important before venturing off in search of space windmills to tilt at.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Strigil posted:

I do not think the stations get removed in Rebirth, they can be attacked and destroyed, but they will eventually get repaired. My guess is that there is a hostile station that was not discovered in the sector that it was attacked in. They can exist in friendly sectors, but usually well away from the highways. Which sector was it?

Oh, your right. I don't know what's going on in X Rebirth. I just remembered the message from when my universe traders would disappear in X3.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Chomp8645 posted:

So I'm just starting out in this. I believe I've seen talk about starter mission to get you set up. How do those come about? I chose the basic Argon start that but I don't see any missions anywhere (I do see the tutorials and I did a few). Right now I don't see any sort of direction at all, my only option being to fly away in search of things to do. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important before venturing off in search of space windmills to tilt at.

Scan around some stations. You'll uncover 'hidden' missions by doing that, and the first one should set you along the main plot. If you want there's a mod up on Nexus that bookmarks the nearest scan point whenever you go into scan mode near a station.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I started a new game to get heavier into production earlier and it turns out that in my first game, I mined so much ore so quickly that I managed to turn the tide of war against the xenon pretty dang well.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like no matter what the Xenon are just bitch made. Maybe for the first few hours of a new game they actually are active and doing something, but even without doing anything directly, they seem to just go dormant after a while and if you ever want to see them again you have to visit their sad little reservation at the north of the map. Same for all of the enemy factions really.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Seems like no matter what the Xenon are just bitch made. Maybe for the first few hours of a new game they actually are active and doing something, but even without doing anything directly, they seem to just go dormant after a while and if you ever want to see them again you have to visit their sad little reservation at the north of the map. Same for all of the enemy factions really.

They are sending multiple K's per hour into Hatikvah's Choice for me, but there are always so many argon destroyers there they don't get very far. It would be nice for the game's existential threat to be a bit more threatening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately I think it's a map design problem. The xenon open right into the core systems of the other races. There's no borderlands or contested sectors. The war mechanic would work a lot better I think if there were some very sparse sectors for each side to conquer. Rather than the xenon being dropped right into the teladi and paranid central sectors.

Same, kinda, with the other wars. They are all heavily developed sectors from the start of the game. Much harder to get dynamic change when it's already a stalemate.

The system does work cos yeah, you get attack groups going after other factions but they've set the map up so it's actually pretty stable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The tricky thing about balancing them is that if they're TOO strong, they'll overrun the universe before the player even really has the chance to build up enough that they can meaningfully fight back. If they're too weak, they quickly get pushed out of their own sectors, again before the player can really reach the point where they could even consider taking them on in force.

I think what they should probably do is buff up the Xenon a bunch with free resources/ships, but give them an AI that's mostly defensive - they'll try to aggressively recapture any territory they might have lost during the game, but they'll only send harassing raids of maybe a couple of destroyers into non-Xenon space to maybe take out a station or two but not really try to expand their territory into that space. That would make their presence felt but without making them be so powerful that nobody can stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would be the other benefit to changing the map layout. Doesn't matter if they take sectors in between other factions, it just cuts off a route. Which is interesting and cool. But if they actually go anywhere currently then they've eaten the core of one of the other races.