Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

i feel like this fight would be better suited to a series of "what-if" side chapters, where we would get interesting fights like setsuna vs muteba (guy who moves when you blink vs guy who doesn't need to blink) or cosmo vs julius (david vs goliath) or jun vs seki (face vs heel)

instead i'm just waiting for it to end

That wouldn't make sense since this fight is the climax of both of their character arcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Fight-watching genius Kazuo thinking the same thing I was

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I enjoyed noted crazy person Kiryu calmly thinking "Hmm, perhaps I should call my foot-based technique Rakshasa's Sole instead"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

halleys comet posted:

The fang is cool its just that he has become somewhat less cool as the manga progresses, rather than more cool like gensai, and its kind of a bummer

I rather like the tradeoff. He's shedding the more damage prone, crazy "formless" mode for a more serious straightforward combat style and it made for a neat comparison. When Gaolang lost, he was told that there is a 1/3 chance that he could have died against Agito given how the latter fights. Okubo likewise survived but the story hadn't set a precedence that Agito has killed anyone at that time and both Okubo and Gaolang took some pretty heavy hits to the head. However, when Sen lost but didn't die, we know it was 100% because Agito held back on that last hit even against a dude who was hyped up as being Fang-tier and in his peak performance mode. And even then the hit he uses to take down Sen feels almost graceful and delicate compared to a right hook to the temple, or a knee to the jaw that sent both receivers reeling.

Not only that but kind of like Gensai, Agito has achieved a sort of safety circle the artist highlighted in the last fight. Except instead of it being based around defense, Agito has a sphere around him representing his offensive range. So even though I'd say the last fight wasn't as exciting as Agito v Gaolang what we lost from "formless" we gained in a guy who still has new tricks but isn't going to absorb as many needless hits which is good because up next he's going up against Gensai, a man with lethal hands and not too many scruples on using them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tonfa posted:

I enjoyed noted crazy person Kiryu calmly thinking "Hmm, perhaps I should call my foot-based technique Rakshasa's Sole instead"

I hope he'll land on Rakshasa's Legpalms instead.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 213

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So we finally see ohma get insight

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ohma's going to gain the ability to perfectly control advance so he can use it for brief moments to greatly increase his power without exploding his body.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So does this chapter imply that he was actually pressured against Nikaido Ren?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sindai posted:

Ohma's going to gain the ability to perfectly control advance so he can use it for brief moments to greatly increase his power without exploding his body.

so its dragon ball z now

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ytlaya posted:

So does this chapter imply that he was actually pressured against Nikaido Ren?

I think it was Ren's hypnosis or whatever that triggered it in that case.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

so its dragon ball z now

My Hero Academia.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

I think it was Ren's hypnosis or whatever that triggered it in that case.

yeah this is how i read it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sindai posted:

the more gimmicks you gain the more powerful gensai gets

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the niko style has a lot of bullshit in it but a technique that slows down time for you that you don't even choose to activate is a bit much

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's more his special fighting brain survival mechanism than a technique per se.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dias posted:

My Hero Academia.

dbz did it first

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dias posted:

It's more his special fighting brain survival mechanism than a technique per se.

that may be true but its a niko style technique

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jose posted:

the niko style has a lot of bullshit in it but a technique that slows down time for you that you don't even choose to activate is a bit much

It also gives you brain damage, not that Setsuna cares or notices.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jose posted:

that may be true but its a niko style technique

i hope it turns out a bunch of the techniques are just him just talking about basic biological functions and then making poo poo up. Yes, youre body when stressed can release large amounts of adrenaline, i call this uhh Niko Style secret technique 3, Ancestor's Release. You are not yet ready to learn it tho.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That reminds me, wasn't there something called the Nil Kata in the Niko style? I wonder what that is.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

dbz did it first

the regular advance is kaioken!!! not that!!!!

Agean90 posted:

i hope it turns out a bunch of the techniques are just him just talking about basic biological functions and then making poo poo up. Yes, youre body when stressed can release large amounts of adrenaline, i call this uhh Niko Style secret technique 3, Ancestor's Release. You are not yet ready to learn it tho.

Niko does seem like the kind of rear end in a top hat that would call basic stuff "his secret techniques". Like "if you can't use one of your arms you can still choke people by using other things as leverage".

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dias posted:

the regular advance is kaioken!!! not that!!!!

and what your positing is goku using the kaioken in brief bursts to get even stronger like he did on namek

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

and what your positing is goku using the kaioken in brief bursts to get even stronger like he did on namek

that's not what he did!!! he was hiding his power level and elevating that suddenly to kick the ginyu force's rear end, kaioken was always a straight-up multiplier boost!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he was doing that with the kaioken as well!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dias posted:

that's not what he did!!! he was hiding his power level and elevating that suddenly to kick the ginyu force's rear end, kaioken was always a straight-up multiplier boost!

Goku turned on Kaioken for like half a second to power up a kamehameha briefly without maintaining it. He did it against Freeza.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

Goku turned on Kaioken for like half a second to power up a kamehameha briefly without maintaining it. He did it against Freeza.

Okay, fair, he did that once.

still barely qualifies but i'll concede just like muteba because i'm cool like him

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dias posted:

Okay, fair, he did that once.

still barely qualifies but i'll concede just like muteba because i'm cool like him

He actually did it against Vegeta, too, albeit he was already in Kaioken and just temporarily turned up the Kaioken multiplier for a moment to win a beam duel.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

using your powers in burst is also brought up by piccolo when hes dunking on dr.gero if you want to get head canon-y about it you could infer that that that technique is the evolution of the kaioken and all the earthlings can do it as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

I think the thing that actually stands out the most to me as bullshit among all the various unrealistic techniques in this series is actually the part early into the tournament arc where Gensai is revealed to have punched holes in thick steel with his fingers. Like, that somehow manages to be even beyond all the rock smashing and stuff in terms of being pretty ludicrous.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Kaio-what?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Kengan Ashura fighting game y/n

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

verbal enema posted:

I mean yeah, obviously. Hajime and Ryo would be busted though but that's where the fun is anywhere.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

verbal enema posted:

Yes but only if everyone is in including first round losers

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

final boss is Kazzy the Air Juggler

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bushmeister posted:

final boss is Kazzy the Air Juggler

Kazzy vs Adam in the finals is gonna be match of the century

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mangadex.org/chapter/501960/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wisy_0svO5Y

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
it sure feels like they are telegraphing an ending here

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

it sure feels like they are telegraphing an ending here

Ohma's gonna get Ashita no Joe'd so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean proving the Niko styles strength by making your heart explode in the final is a... plan.

Kazzy do something your boy just admitted he gonna suicide to win!