Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Speaking of found footage, I still want a sequel to the original Cloverfield done as a Loose Change style conspiracy theory video

That would make for a better sequel than the connected film we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was super down for the proposed found-footage Friday the 13th sequel but it never ended up happening.

Never Hike Alone lightly scratches that itch, but not really

(It does however rule irregardless)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Gopro hiker youtuber guy werewolf movie. he gets bit and keeps hiking and later reviews his footage in horror as it turns out he turned into a monster and ate a bunch of campers on that night he couldnt remember.

1. There just aren't enough werewolf movies out there, and
2. A found footage film predominantly from the monster's perspective might breathe a little life into a lovely subgenre I typically don't enjoy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was super down for the proposed found-footage Friday the 13th sequel but it never ended up happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K_wkQSM8xM

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

as someone with motion sickness who can't watch many FF movies gently caress you guys and your cool ideas :(

EDIT: If anyone has a cure for people who get dizzy/sick/can't focus on the screen during FF movies please tell me bc there's a lot i wanna see so bad

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 14, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of found footage woods movies, Sasquatch on prime owns incredibly hard. Probably one of the first found footage movies and imo as far as the search for bigfoot mockumentary genre goes its way more entertaining than Boggy Creek.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

as someone with motion sickness who can't watch many FF movies gently caress you guys and your cool ideas :(

EDIT: If anyone has a cure for people who get dizzy/sick/can't focus on the screen during FF movies please tell me bc there's a lot i wanna see so bad

I'm in mostly the same boat but FPS games affect me a lot worse than FF movies do. I just want to enjoy Farcry 5 :(

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Kvlt! posted:

Depending on how bad it is, you could try Dramamine. I've got a friend who gets motion sick during most movies, and she takes it basically every time we go to the theater. She still can't do found footage or anything with too much camera movement though. I don't get motion sick from those in the way that I do for 3-D movies, but found footage tires my eyes out when it's consistently jerky enough.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

Did you watch The Night Eats The World? Its not particularly original but it is a very good zombie flick. (dunno if the thread has already gone over this one, Im jumping in at the end).

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Milla Jovovich is really not qualified to be an action star. (No less so than plenty of men who star in action movies, I should add.)

Totally agree. I like her, but she's just a really weak action star. But her husband is crazy about her, so she's here to stay.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I have a friend who will just smoke a bowl before and that usually helps.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bloodbuster is a legit fantastic store.

I recommend checking it out if you're ever in Milano.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is The Cured worth seeing?

Narzack posted:

Totally agree. I like her, but she's just a really weak action star. But her husband is crazy about her, so she's here to stay.
I'm hoping that directors like Tjahjanto and Gareth Edwards are raising the bar, and people are starting to expect more from action stars and action cinematography.

Narzack posted:

I have a friend who will just smoke a bowl before and that usually helps.
LOL if you watched Mandy sober

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Is The Cured worth seeing?

I thought it was really good and is another fresh take on zombie stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm a little late on zombie social commentary chat but it's important to remember that 95% of the time, when there's an obvious parallel to police/military abuse in zombie media and the zombies are framed as a metaphor for minorities or just the proletariat, the movie wants you to feel bad about it, and is very very obviously not endorsing it. That 5% that thinks soldiers shooting thousands of unarmed civilians is badass does exist but they're all really bad movies.

Like almost every good zombie movie has man as the real monster, and a huge number of them have the military, the police, and people in positions of authority who can decide life and death in general turn out to be the worst of them all.

That doesn't mean you can't have a cop be the protagonist of a zombie movie without it being some weird blue lives matter ethnic cleansing fantasy.

Untrustable posted:

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a good zombie movie. Just don't half-rear end it and be sincere. That's what Train to Busan did. Sure there's a tiny gimmick with specific rules of how the zombies work that plays into all of one scene, but for the most part it's just a zombie movie, it's just not a lovely, half assed, constantly quipping, tone deaf zombie movie. It has real characters you care about, a sense of scope, a good score, actual cinematography, a script that isn't completely stale, etc.

People who think a twist on how the infection spreads or whatever is what's gonna save zombie movies are missing the point entirely and usually end up making the most forgettable zombie media of all.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a serious question: What is everyone's dream/unique take on found footage they'd like to see?

For me: Zombie Apocalypse scenario done through security cams, news footage, police body-cam footage, cell phone footage etc.

Found footage killer scarecrows. I want a build up though. Maybe the first third of the movie is a farmer documenting damage to his crops and livestock deaths. Then he sets up some security cams around the farm and you get like 10 minutes of Paranormal activity style "Did I see something move"? and then Bam! A fuckin scarecrow saunters into full view. The climax of the film is the small town population taking up arms against the scarecrows escalating into a small town war. The scarecrows are possessed by evil spirits or some poo poo caused by a local Amish outcast, and the good Amish show up at the end and fight some scarecrows with the townspeople. The Scarecrows have farm tools as weapons of loving course.

Think paranormal activity/Night of The Scarecrows/Army of Darkness.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm a little late on zombie social commentary chat but it's important to remember that 95% of the time, when there's an obvious parallel to police/military abuse in zombie media and the zombies are framed as a metaphor for minorities or just the proletariat, the movie wants you to feel bad about it, and is very very obviously not endorsing it. That 5% that thinks soldiers shooting thousands of unarmed civilians is badass does exist but they're all really bad movies.

Like almost every good zombie movie has man as the real monster, and a huge number of them have the military, the police, and people in positions of authority who can decide life and death in general turn out to be the worst of them all.

That doesn't mean you can't have a cop be the protagonist of a zombie movie without it being some weird blue lives matter ethnic cleansing fantasy.

Yeah I felt like people were overstating the murder-fantasy angle a bit a few pages ago but I didn't really want to argue. :effort: You see way more scenes about caring for a sick and dying loved one than overt survivalist fantasy. I'll also add (and maybe it doesn't need to be said, it's pretty obvious) that a significant part of the horror element in zombie movies is body horror. Festering wounds, body parts rotting off, etc. There's also a significant element of the uncanny in a lot of zombie movies -the weird existential suggestion that humans are just meat puppets. A zombie is just a human meat puppet possessed of life but lacking free-will. Actually, the zombie may be better off because most of the time zombies lack consciousness, so at least they aren't cursed with ability to know that they're just meat-puppets. No one's really having fantasies about being devoid of burden of consciousness though. Well, maybe if your Thomas Ligotti or some other weirdo.

In conclusion zombie movies are a land of contrasts.

edit: I guess a more concise way to say all that crap I just rambled on about is that zombie movie's don't necessarily have to look outward and comment on society, they can also look inward and comment on ourselves.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 15, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I get that but like I can’t think of any movies where people take a “kill em all” kinda glee in killing zombies, it’s usually more offense and being sad for them. But then, I don’t really watch Walking Dead.

There's one episode where they show a guy who kills zombies but then he buries and mourns them. The only characters in the Walking Dead who takes glee in killing the zombies are the villains.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Found footage killer scarecrows. I want a build up though. Maybe the first third of the movie is a farmer documenting damage to his crops and livestock deaths. Then he sets up some security cams around the farm and you get like 10 minutes of Paranormal activity style "Did I see something move"? and then Bam! A fuckin scarecrow saunters into full view. The climax of the film is the small town population taking up arms against the scarecrows escalating into a small town war. The scarecrows are possessed by evil spirits or some poo poo caused by a local Amish outcast, and the good Amish show up at the end and fight some scarecrows with the townspeople. The Scarecrows have farm tools as weapons of loving course.

gently caress, I'd watch the poo poo out of this.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm hoping that directors like Tjahjanto and Gareth Edwards are raising the bar, and people are starting to expect more from action stars and action cinematography.

I think Edwards has the edge on the choreography. Anderson is weird, though, because we know he can be a solid director. Corny as it is, Mortal Kombat has coherent, well blocked action. I don't remember much about Soldier, but Event Horizon is a really good adult horror film. But then he goes and makes plasticy b-movies like AvP and Resident Evil and has sucked at shooting action, so I don't know what happened.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Untrustable posted:

The last shot can be a POV scene of someone walking back home from the massive celebration everyone's having for having beaten the scarecrows and then once he's further away from the town center or whatever we hear a buzzing sound and then the person turns around and OH poo poo it's a scarecrow on a riding mower and it ends on a first person view of getting very slowly run over and ground apart from the feet up and and he looks up to a blood moon just before the screen fades to red followed by a bloody TO BE CONTINUED... end title card.

Movie should be titled The Last Straw.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 15, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah throw me into the pile of "late to the conversation but don't think zombie movies are inherently fascist/racist but are actually kind of the exact opposite a lot of the time." Sure, there's people who twist it into that and fantasize about their hosed up poo poo but I've seen very few zombie films (or tv) that actually goes there. And even when they do go there its usually flipped later. The people taking joy and reveling in killing zombies are almost always either (a) the bad guys, (b) deeply damaged people, or (c) people who eventually end up feeling really bad about it. I guess there's more comedic zombie films that make a laugh about the killing and you could argue are flirting with the idea of glorifying the killing of faceless things (Zombieland, for example) but I don't think that's their intent for the most part.

But yeah, there's World War Z. That was kind of hosed.

Basebf555 posted:

The show was pretty clear in showing that Darryl and his brother didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. I mean, he loved him because he was his brother but its obvious they were very very different people. I certainly wouldn't assume that he was a saint before we meet him in the show, but it's definitely a stretch to assume he was a neo-nazi.

Even more than that the show really sets up Darryl as a victim of abuse at the hands of his brother and father and have him draw his first really deep connection with the other character who is a victim of abuse. Like, you can go "Darryl is a neo-nazi who loves his neo nazi brother" but that ignores every piece of characterization done for the guy and one of the basic ideas of the show that people change pretty dramatically.

I mean, I've stopped watching Walking Dead and there's a lot of fair criticisms about the show. But the idea that they don't deal with the real moral weight and guilt of killing, even zombies, is kind of laughable. 90% of Walking Dead is that.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Did you watch The Night Eats The World? Its not particularly original but it is a very good zombie flick. (dunno if the thread has already gone over this one, Im jumping in at the end).

Its one of my favorite recent zombie films but I'm not sure its breaking any new ground. I mean, "Guy who doesn't like people kind of liking the apocalypse until the loneliness drives him crazy" isn't just a thing common to zombie films but like classic Twilight Zone episodes. But it was a well done film and I think in general "doing something new" is often overrated with this stuff. Sure, I love to see something new and interesting, but I also like seeing something old done well. The problem with zombie movies aren't that they're an old idea, its that they're just not done well a lot of the time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 15, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
guys guys

A zombie hippo movie :cool:

For that matter, are there any true zombie wildlife movies? A horde of zombiefied deer, wolves, bears, etc would be way more dangerous than people. Way more expensive to pull off too, which is why we won’t see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know for a fact there's a zombie animal movie on Netflix that looks absolutely terrible but I keep considering because it's a zombie animal movie.

There was also a pretty decent one about zombie sheep but I'm blanking on the name or any details.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a weird soft spot for that movie and book because I read King Solomons Mines before I read Congo and it was the first time I realized that you could rework a book into a different story like that. It blew my dumb little kid mind.

Also Bruce Campbell is in the movie, so that’s fun.

Oh holy poo poo Congo is King Solomons mines

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I caught a bit of Congo the other day and was shocked to make that connection and realize the whole thing ends with a bad volcano eruption. I had no memory of that and I feel like Congo is one of those dumb films ive watched in the background 100 times just to see fun actors chew scenery. I must just always tap out when the focus shifts to the gorillas.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I read the book a bunch when I was in my Michael Crichton phase as a kid but I don’t know that I’ve seen more than clips from the movie. Does it differ a lot from the book?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

STAC Goat posted:

I know for a fact there's a zombie animal movie on Netflix that looks absolutely terrible but I keep considering because it's a zombie animal movie.

There was also a pretty decent one about zombie sheep but I'm blanking on the name or any details.

Black Sheep?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sheep_(2006_New_Zealand_film)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

I read the book a bunch when I was in my Michael Crichton phase as a kid but I don’t know that I’ve seen more than clips from the movie. Does it differ a lot from the book?

I've never read the book but Congo is legit great b movie high adventure.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Zombeavers would be my guess.

And yes, it does indeed suck rear end.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

Zombeavers would be my guess.

And yes, it does indeed suck rear end.

I found it funny and gory. Like its not great but it knows what it is and plays that well. Like yeah it sounds terrible but its good B movie fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Is it Zoombies? It's not bad, leans a skosh more towards the cheesy in parts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I've never read the book but Congo is legit great b movie high adventure.

The movie is so bad that even Tim Curry looks miserable being in it:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Um, I think you'll find that Congo rules, and my 14 year old self and 8 year old little brother will defend it to the death

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Alhazred posted:

A bad horror movie opinion confession.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Alhazred posted:

Stop eating my sesame cake.

STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Congo loving blows.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

James Woods Fan posted:

Congo loving blows.

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddsssssssssssssssss

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean, Ernie Hudson hasn't even been brought into the conversation yet, so yea, Congo is good.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I went to see Congo for my 12th birthday. That was the worst birthday ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, Ernie Hudson hasn't even been brought into the conversation yet, so yea, Congo is good.

And Tim Curry AND Bruce Campbell.

Congo is good.