Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

People say this, but why ruin the movie to prevent the sequels when you can just not watch them? And anyway it's not like the studio would just not make more of them if they'd really wanted to.
:jihad:
What if we can't stop it. What if that sappy ending gets changed to something totally bitching and open ended?

:awesomelon:
In three years, Paramount Pictures become the largest supplier of Terminator related media. All Sci-Fi and Anime robots are upgraded with Terminator aesthetics, becoming fully unoriginal. Afterwards, chrome killer robots dominate pop-culture with a perfect operational record. The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The franchise goes online on July 2nd, 2003. Human input is removed from subsequent decisions. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they release Terminator Genisys.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Some of those are probably doubles.

Very few. I just have a very broad taste. http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Aardvark-DK

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The 2001 UHD christened my UHD player. drat HDR is so nice. I switched over to Annihilation because I’ve wanted to see that in 4K HDR for awhile and Jesus Christ. It’s gorgeous.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Boywhiz88 posted:

The 2001 UHD christened my UHD player. drat HDR is so nice. I switched over to Annihilation because I’ve wanted to see that in 4K HDR for awhile and Jesus Christ. It’s gorgeous.

truly a classic that must be seen in the highest resolution:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How is the Galaxy Quest blu ray? The transfer on Hulu looks like dogshit

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
https://www.facebook.com/SecondSightFilms/photos/a.155124601288648/1358892647578498/?type=3&theater

quote:

Fassbinder’s ahead of its time sci-fi masterpiece WORLD ON A WIRE will be released on Blu-ray and on-demand February 18th. The 2-disc LIMITED EDITION Blu-ray special features include:

• No Strings Attached - an interview with assistant director Renate Leiffer
• Observing Fassbinder – a tribute to photographer Peter Gauhe
• Looking Ahead to Today documentary
• On-set featurette
• Original Broadcast Recap
• The Simulation Argument – an interview with Professor Nick Bostrom
• Rigid slipcase packaging
• 50 page perfect-bound booklet featuring new essays by Anton Bitel and Daniel Bird and archival writing by Daniel Oberhaus and Christian Braad Thomsen

It doesn't mention a new transfer so I assume it's the same as the Criterion but hey, region B!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Unmature posted:

How is the Galaxy Quest blu ray? The transfer on Hulu looks like dogshit

I don't own it but blu-ray.com gave it a good review.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Galaxy-Quest-Blu-ray/5381/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

https://www.facebook.com/SecondSightFilms/photos/a.155124601288648/1358892647578498/?type=3&theater

It doesn't mention a new transfer so I assume it's the same as the Criterion but hey, region B!

Seems like all Fassbender on Blu-ray originates from the same 2K/4K restorations done by the foundation. Only differences seem to be frame rates on the TV productions, though apparently Criterion found a way to encode 25fps as 1080/60i progressively with Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (and Baal) rather than slow down to 24fps.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Second Sight does some gorgeous packaging.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
2001 4k made me realize I need them to do the same thing with The Shining, ASAP please.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout is releasing Satoshi Kon’s Perfect Blue on blu-Ray for the first time in the US on Feb 26.

In a follow up to this, it looks like Shout might not end up with all of the Kon movies in its stable when all is said and done...

https://mobile.twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1075829486787145730

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kino’s release of For a Few Dollars More is coming out in March. I know the other two had....questionable remasters. Really hope they stick the landing on this one.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Arrow sucked me in again and I picked up five of their noir-ish titles from their sale: Too Late for Tears, Woman on the Run, The Big Knife, The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key. Just a little over $57 shipped to the US. I might place one more and concentrate on the 80s titles that I'm missing, like Heathers and Last American Virgin. They also announced a bunch of new titles for release next year, including a box set of the Japanese Ring movies, Phantom Lady and Sister Street Fighter. Love Arrow.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

Basebf555 posted:

2001 4k made me realize I need them to do the same thing with A Clockwork Orange, ASAP please.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino just confirmed a ton of 2019 titles in their newsletter:

StudioCanal:
Last Year at Marienbad
Alphaville
Accident
La Prisoniere
Port of Shadows
The Nun (Rivette)
Underground
The Informer (1929)
Shooting Stars
The Iceman Cometh
Knives of the Avenger
Four Times That Night
Halfauine
A Summer in La Goulette
Zizou
Charley Varrick
Far from Heaven
The Tarnished Angels
Jungle Fever
Crooklyn
Sweet Charity
The Great McGinty
Kundun
The Landlord (Ashby)
Mississippi Burning (new 4K)

No specifics named, but they also confirmed films by Hitchcock, Carol Reed, and Jean-Pierre Melville are coming, as well as Ealing comedies (Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Man in the White Suit, and The Lavender Hill Mob already confirmed).

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The Great McGinty

Here for this, if mainly to prod them into releasing better Sturges movies like The Great Moment or Morgan's Creek. I reeeeeeeally don't want to have to shell out for that French box set.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
First Reformed code... Merry Christmas everyone

https://www.movieredeem.com

CR6JDAWMECZX4122

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino just confirmed a ton of 2019 titles in their newsletter:

StudioCanal:
Last Year at Marienbad
Alphaville
Accident
La Prisoniere
Port of Shadows
The Nun (Rivette)
Underground
The Informer (1929)
Shooting Stars
The Iceman Cometh
Knives of the Avenger
Four Times That Night
Halfauine
A Summer in La Goulette
Zizou
Charley Varrick
Far from Heaven
The Tarnished Angels
Jungle Fever
Crooklyn
Sweet Charity
The Great McGinty
Kundun
The Landlord (Ashby)
Mississippi Burning (new 4K)

No specifics named, but they also confirmed films by Hitchcock, Carol Reed, and Jean-Pierre Melville are coming, as well as Ealing comedies (Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Man in the White Suit, and The Lavender Hill Mob already confirmed).

Wasn't Mississippi Burning previously one of those Twilight Time things?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:getin:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lots of good stuff in there, but I'm most excited about The Nun. One of Rivette's best films and yet no one ever seems to talk about it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

No specifics named, but they also confirmed films by Hitchcock...

quote:

Since some unannounced titles were leaked, we would like to explains our plans for the 9 Hitchcock titles we’ll be releasing.

The Ring (1927), The Farmer’s Wife (1928), Champagne (1928), The Manxman (1929), The Skin Game (1931) and Rich and Strange (1931) will be released as a 6-Film Boxed Set on DVD and Blu-ray.

The following three will receive stand-alone special edition releases on DVD and Blu-ray:
Blackmail (1929)
Murder! (1930)
Number Seventeen (1932)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: FFD :argh:

Pretty much we just need a few titles from Criterion and all 52 of Hitchcock’s features will be on Blu in the US.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 21, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got a 4k tv! I'm thinking about getting slim Xbox One as a 4k Blu-ray player pretty soon.

Are "4k HDMI cables" just snake oil? Would the one that comes in the box be fine?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got a 4k tv! I'm thinking about getting slim Xbox One as a 4k Blu-ray player pretty soon.

Are "4k HDMI cables" just snake oil? Would the one that comes in the box be fine?

I honestly never had any issues using any old HDMI cable on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and getting 4K and HDR working.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Amazonbasics or Monoprice cables should be up to the most recent standard and will be cheaper than anything you buy in a physical store.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Detective No. 27 posted:

Something comes with an HDMI cable?! I don’t think I’ve ever gotten one for “free.”

There are versions to HDMI cables but as long as you get one of the “high speed” ones you should be good.

In case anybody else out there is mulling over upgrading, here’s my brief impression of going from an 11-year old 50” plasma to a 65” LG C8 OLED and watching Blade Runner 2049 and 2001: A Space Odyssey on UHD:
* The extra resolution of 4K isn’t terribly noticeable a lot of the time. The best cases seem to be when there’s something nice and sharp contrasted with an out-of-focus background. Most of the difference is in texture; 1080p is already enough to get nearly all the details.
* For some reason I thought HDR would be more garish but it’s pretty subtle and natural most of the time. 2001 had some really noticeable effects - the bright planets against a star field, the pod headlights, the space trip, etc.
* One thing about the color is that it’s... perfect. Absolutely no color banding ever, no matter what’s going on. K walking through the yellow Las Vegas haze looks just as natural as a muted indoor scene. DVD usually had crazy amounts of banding in fog and I felt like Blu-Ray sometimes had a bit too, but with a UHD disc it’s flawless.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

david_a posted:

Something comes with an HDMI cable?! I don’t think I’ve ever gotten one for “free.”

There are versions to HDMI cables but as long as you get one of the “high speed” ones you should be good.

Good PC monitors will come with an HDMI cable. (Of course really good monitors will come with a DisplayPort cable, but that's another story.)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

david_a posted:

Things tend to come with HDMI cables nowadays. My SNES Classic came with one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Steam Link I got for $2 on Black Friday came with an HDMI cable and an Ethernet cable! Not sure what those retailed for before they were heavily discounted, though. I'm pretty sure they were always under $100.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Things tend to come with HDMI cables nowadays. My SNES Classic came with one.

Even if it doesn't you can buy them on amazon for a dollar or even less. Never spend 20 bucks on an HDMI cable in a store.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Arrow in March

US only:
Strip Nude for Your Killer

UK Only:
Ring collection (includes Ring, Ring 2, Ring 0 and Spiral)

Both:
José Larraz: Three Films (includes Whirlpool, Vampyres and The Coming of Sin)
Kolobos
Sister Street Fighter Collection (includes Sister Street Fighter, Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread, Return of the Sister Street Fighter and Sister Street Fighter: Fifth Level Fist)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Sister Street Fighter Collection (includes Sister Street Fighter, Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread, Return of the Sister Street Fighter and Sister Street Fighter: Fifth Level Fist)

gently caress yes.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

If you’re into 3D and there are non-Disney titles you haven’t purchased, it’s worth checking out BestBuy.com. They seem to have been clearancing out a lot of titles recently, some great deals such as Avatar 3D for $15 right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Paying forward the CineD Secret Santa with my favorite movie of 2018, Sorry to Bother You: FEPB4AXTVC1RN2W1

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Paying forward the CineD Secret Santa with my favorite movie of 2018, Sorry to Bother You: FEPB4AXTVC1RN2W1

Thanks! This is a great movie and I've been wanting to watch it again to see if there is any kind of foreshadowing to where it's going.

For something way less subtle and clever but still pretty fun, heres Teen Titans Go to the Movies: 7TN6LP7QY7LR4PB0

Homeybeef fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 25, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Homeybeef posted:

Thanks! This is a great movie and I've been wanting to watch it again to see if there is any kind of foreshadowing to where it's going.

For something way less subtle and clever but still pretty fun, heres Teen Titans Go to the Movies: 7TN6LP7QY7LR4PB0

And a Grinch took that one without saying anything.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I know this isn’t the best place to say it, but for interested parties, “Sorry to Bother You” is on Hulu.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I offhandedly mentioned like a month ago that I hadn't seen Seven in a long time and she gave it to me on Blu-ray. Fun surprise!

Rirse posted:

And a Grinch took that one without saying anything.

Not even posting a thanks is pretty danged Grinchy

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

I know this isn’t the best place to say it, but for interested parties, “Sorry to Bother You” is on Hulu.

There's a "what to watch on streaming" thread, you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Are we posting christmas hauls?

The Complete Jacques Tati (Criterion)
The Francois Truffaut Collection (Artificial Eye)
The Andrei Tarkovsky Collection (Artificial Eye)
Berberian Sound Studio (Artificial Eye)
Jackie Chan’s Project A 1&2 (Eureka!)
Night of The Creeps (Eureka!)
Candyman (Arrow)
Jubilee (BFI)
Gaslight (BFI)
Battleship Potemkin (BFI)
The Otto Preminger Film Noir Collection (BFI)
Hackers (88 Films)
Death of Stalin

A friend also got me Master of Monsters, a book about Eiji Tsubaraya, the man behind the Godzilla SFX and Ultraman. It’s pretty great.