Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KakerMix posted:

I do appreciate it. Going to try that antenna hijack box via Amazon first and see what that's like as I can get exactly one station in anyway on FM with the frequency difference between Japan and the US. My soldering skills are zero anyway so I'd have to learn from the ground up in order to start poking and proding.

:eyepop:
a good place to start is with these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Meat Dimension posted:

Yep :getin:

Too bad it’s sold, but the sheet on this one is speaking to me.

5-speed manual!!
20 passengers!!
DIESEL!!

:smuggo:

Super rad but jesus, I can't imagine the shipping.

EDIT

I took a dive into used car lots to see if there was any good stuff.

There is this 1993 Estima Lucida 5 speed manual 4WD van with 56,000 km on it. Sun roof options, dual AC, all the options available at the time. Looks great! And they were willing to sell wholesale at 480,000 yen, or around 4230 USD. The only problem is the "clutch is worn". :thunk:
So I noped right out because how in the gently caress is the clutch worn on a car with 35k miles on it, and what else happened while that clutch was being destroyed?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 13, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
They make supercharged Estimas i had a solid bid on a low mileage one but they pulled the auction a few months back. They don't go for much.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

They make supercharged Estimas i had a solid bid on a low mileage one but they pulled the auction a few months back. They don't go for much.

As far as I know there was never a supercharged manual Previa/Estima. Maybe that was only for the US though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

As far as I know there was never a supercharged manual Previa/Estima. Maybe that was only for the US though.

Was there one with a turbo? Feel like I've seen one up for sale here, was a JDM grey market import.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Was there one with a turbo? Feel like I've seen one up for sale here, was a JDM grey market import.

AFAIK the only "turbo" Previa/Esitmas were diesels. Gasoline ones only had supercharging, originally to try to get the power up for the US market since the way the van was designed limited what they could do with the engine. Better than what Nissan did though and shove a larger engine in their tiny compartment, cause some fires, and then they recalled ALL USDM Vans and crushed em'.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There was one Nissan that escaped the crusher for sale within the past year or two in the US.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Am I understanding the auction thing correctly that someone bid (nearly) $6500 for this and it did not meet reserve?

I am still trying to figure out all the information on the auction house listings. The "Sold For" means the actual selling price, yes? And in this case is shows high bidder and that it was still RNM?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Am I understanding the auction thing correctly that someone bid (nearly) $6500 for this and it did not meet reserve?

I am still trying to figure out all the information on the auction house listings. The "Sold For" means the actual selling price, yes? And in this case is shows high bidder and that it was still RNM?

The 710,000 yen number with the 'not sold' text means that yeah, 710,000 yen was the highest bid but the vehicle still didn't sell. If it said 710,000 yen and 'sold' then the price becomes what it sold for. There is no separate place for highest bid or anything. Sometimes you'll see a number but 'sold by nego' which means the seller and the highest bidder negotiated a new price and the vehicle was sold, but not for the price listed. Assume it went for above the number shown if it was negotiated.

As an aside this generation of Honda City is $$$, and that's before you get to the Turbo IIs. Those are $$$ but like plus a million more $'s

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Stay away from anything MCM has ever mentioned or had on their show. Those just go for stupid money .

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

AFAIK the only "turbo" Previa/Esitmas were diesels. Gasoline ones only had supercharging, originally to try to get the power up for the US market since the way the van was designed limited what they could do with the engine. Better than what Nissan did though and shove a larger engine in their tiny compartment, cause some fires, and then they recalled ALL USDM Vans and crushed em'.

Ah, it may have been a diesel - saw it on Gumtree two or so years ago and was definitely interested, but was unregistered and I didn't want to deal with getting it inspected.

I had one of those (Vanette, right?)! Found out about the whole USDM debacle when I googled it looking to fix the carbie issues I was having. I don't remember it being particularly gutless, but it was on its last legs so I tried to baby it the few months I had it as best I could.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Inspection Sheet posted:

85015- 4mt, water pump and drive shaft boots replaced, ceiling liner loose, seats dirty, undercarriage surface rust, cargo bed and gates dents scratches surface rust and paint waves, other dents scratches surface rust.

Inspector posted:

85015- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, can't check oil or coolant, engine slightly oily around front cover but no drips, tires at 60% rears show hairline cracks, spare ok, undercarriage surface rust only, boots ok, front bumper surface rust, front floor surface rust, rear gate dent, roof dents, seats dirty and slightly worn on door side, dashboard faded but ok, ceiling liner loose and tears, no burns, steering wheel faded, no ac, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 2wd, right headlight out, other lights ok, wipers ok but rubber needs replacing, only one washer working

:toot:
$635 bucks for this gorgeous 1982 40,000 km Honda Acty truck. Nothing special really, but it sure is cute.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

KakerMix posted:

:toot:
$635 bucks for this gorgeous 1982 40,000 km Honda Acty truck. Nothing special really, but it sure is cute.

Holy crap, also a one owner car! The details also mention a new water pump and drive shaft boots.

It's an interesting museum piece, but a 4sp mated to a 550cc engine is gonna make modern keis look downright spritely.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Holy crap, also a one owner car! The details also mention a new water pump and drive shaft boots.

It's an interesting museum piece, but a 4sp mated to a 550cc engine is gonna make modern keis look downright spritely.

Don't know what the gearing is like on the 4 speed, but I had an 83 5-speed Street for a bit and the amount of revs on top of the power band was pretty insane. If I waited long enough I bet that van could have hit (a terrifying) 80 mph. Guessing that this truck will be as zippy as that van was, considering it's hauling around a lot less stuff most of the time.

I'm wondering what a cool classic truck like this will be like for what I use a truck for. The Bongo is great but even it is a bit much for our use, which is bringing a piece of furniture back and forth from the warehouse or a set of tires back and forth from our tire guy. I've gotten a couple offers on the Bongo already so much like the AZ-1 I can sell the Bongo, make a bunch of profit, and just use something else. Plain white lends itself to sick decals too.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
You will top out around 50-55 mph, maybe less. The trucks are geared way up compared to the Vans, I had to wring the poo poo out of the 660 trucks to get to 120 kph.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

You will top out around 50-55 mph, maybe less. The trucks are geared way up compared to the Vans, I had to wring the poo poo out of the 660 trucks to get to 120 kph.

That's fine because why in the gently caress would I want to go 55 mph in an 82 kei truck lmfao

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

So our long nightmare is over, a goon now has owns an AZ-1 but yeah kaker the *AA auctions is the way to go for buying az-1s

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Did you miss the bit where kaker bought 2?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Someone has to actually hold on to one :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

So our long nightmare is over, a goon now has owns an AZ-1 but yeah kaker the *AA auctions is the way to go for buying az-1s

Hell yeah that one looked pretty good, the mileage is high enough to scare away typical people. Now hopefully you told the Yoshi about how cool I am for introducing you to JCD :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

Did you miss the bit where kaker bought 2?

He also sold 2, and now has 0 az-1s

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The Acty Attack 4 speed/550cc I drove was drat near redline at 50mph so I imagine 55 would hit the limiter.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

wargames posted:

This rules and while I am trying to be as ~*practical*~ as I can with the thought of importing something usable and utility my eyes keep wandering towards Cappos and AZ-1's. I keep telling myself to be patient though and that it is the kind of thing I should wait for a later model year to be available because in theory they were apparently better?

I think I will end up with a Jimny. Any feedback on whether I should exclusively stick to the Kei class with the little engine over one with a bigger engine? It will need to be a manual, as stock as can be and with some weird decals.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This rules and while I am trying to be as ~*practical*~ as I can with the thought of importing something usable and utility my eyes keep wandering towards Cappos and AZ-1's. I keep telling myself to be patient though and that it is the kind of thing I should wait for a later model year to be available because in theory they were apparently better?

I think I will end up with a Jimny. Any feedback on whether I should exclusively stick to the Kei class with the little engine over one with a bigger engine? It will need to be a manual, as stock as can be and with some weird decals.

someone else posted this gallery, and az-1 is very practical grocery getter

https://imgur.com/a/7cGnl

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

He also sold 2, and now has 0 az-1s

Yeah you're going to be the 'goon with the az-1' as I probably won't be keeping any others I get.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

The Acty Attack 4 speed/550cc I drove was drat near redline at 50mph so I imagine 55 would hit the limiter.

Pretty sure the 'Attack' trim levels are geared even more toward acceleration/torque, even beyond a standard Acty. Will fly up a hill but not down the road.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All AZ-1s are the same, one made in 1992 is identical to one made in 1995. They had no model improvements or changes at all. I believe the Cappos did have 1 change of some kind but it wasn't until deep into 1994 and I don't know if there will be any practical difference between them. ~*practical*~ is right too, while Jimnys are technically more practical than a Cappo or AZ-1 it's in how you sit taller and can curb em' and not have an issue, and less about people moving capability. Jimnys have back seats yeah but nobody is going to want to sit back there. They do have more cargo room than an AZ-1 or Cappo but not a whole lot more. I'd stick with the kei class Jimnys, if only because the Sierras (the JDM Samurai with the 4 cyl) rarely come up for auction. Go after a post-1990 660cc tin top Jimny, most of them are there so the chances of finding a cool nice one with sick graphics is much higher than others. Power should be real close to being even between the NA 4cyl and the turbo 3, and everyone loves turbo spool noises.

wargames posted:

someone else posted this gallery, and az-1 is very practical grocery getter

https://imgur.com/a/7cGnl

They didn't show the rear shelf but you can fit those three paper bags easily on it, assuming you ditch the spare tire (if it is even there).

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 14, 2018

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
Hey all. Been lurking this thread forever, and finally did the thing.
Presenting: Fat guy in a little truck.

'91 Acty.
This thing is so dumb, and tiny, and slow, and I love it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I need a version of one of those that will do US highway speeds. The Dallas=Fort Worth Metroplex is too big/too many highways to not be highway capable.
So, obviously, I need to put a GSXR engine in one.

edit: or, I suppose I could just get a slightly bigger one with a 1.5L or so, like the Bongo.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 15, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Darchangel posted:

I need a version of one of those that will do US highway speeds. The Dallas=Fort Worth Metroplex is too big/too many highways to not be highway capable.

edit: or, I suppose I could just get a slightly bigger one with a 1.5L or so, like the Bongo.

or a ford 3 cylider 1.0liter if you want to try and keep it turbo 3.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Two swings, two misses and one sorta miss though I didn't actually bid.

Swing one:

Auction Sheet posted:

-4017- 5mt, interior dirty, cargo area dents and scratches, other dents scratches surface rust and paint waves

Inspection posted:

4017- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, slight sludge in oil, coolant color and level ok, no oil leaks, surface rust in engine bay, tires at 40% no cracks, spare worn but ok, scratches in bed, front side surface rust, rear fenders surface rust, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner dirty and stains, door trim scratches and dirty, no ac, clutch ok, 4speed ok , check lamps ok, 2wd, lights ok, wipers ok

Clean, low mileage Mazda Porter cab. Nothing special (like the Acty truck I won) but the condition and mileage make it neat. I bid 130,000, sold for 195,000. Yoshi was surprised as was I. Normally these clock in at sub-100,000 but I guess someone had their heart in this one.

Swing two:

Auction Sheet posted:

7044- at, ac, diesel, side auto doors, power seats, sunroof, rear ac + heater, 4wd, dual spares, hot and cold box, rear cross member outer slightly bent, small chips in windshield, interior dirty, steering wheel worn, other dents scratches

Inspector posted:

7044- engine starts idles and revs fine, timing belt sticker at 99,xxx km, no sludge, coolant color ok low in reservoir tank, no oil leaks but valve cover area very slightly oily, tires worn, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, slight surface rust on undercarriage/fenders/wheel wells, boots ok, rear cross member out slightly bent but ok and will no affect driving, body in good condition, windshield chips small, drivers seat and rear seats slightly sunk but ok, dashboard ok glue remains, ceiling liner dirty, no burns, ac ok, at ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, sunroof ok, power mirrors not working, windows ok passenger slide slightly slow, doors ok, seats ok, cooler box ok, some cracks in interior trim taped up.

Good condition SUPER CUSTOM LIMITED Hiace van. KZ turbo diesel powered, 4WD, 3 sunroof option, relatively low mileage, automatic, unmodified. Put in a bid for 709,125, sold for 715,000 :negative: Less than 52 bucks difference :negative:

And a not-swing so not-miss but:

Auction Sheet posted:

70195- 5mt, ac, bed and gates dents scratches and surface rust, small chips in windshield, seats and interior dirty and tears, antenna broken

Inspector posted:

70195- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, engine area dirty, tires at 30% no cracks, spare ok, cargo area scratches dents and surface rust only, light surface rust on undercarriage/fenders/wheel wells, muffler rust, some cracks in outer boots, mirrors faded, small chips in windshield, back rest 10cm x 3 tears, dashboard ok, ceiling liner dirty and slightly loose, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, axle lock ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, wipers ok

The ~perfect~ Suzuki Carry truck. 5 speed manual, 4WD w/ diff lock, AC, 28,000 kms, clean as hell. Initially bid the same as on the Acty and Porter, 130,000 yen. Yoshi then informed me another JCD bidder was going in at 145,000 yen, so I backed off and let them have it. I mean it's a nice kei truck but they normally go for 100,000 like all the others. Plus this was before the Hiace auction so I figured I'd be celebrating that win :(

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 15, 2018

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Darchangel posted:

You'd need a reverse gear though, wouldn't you? Maybe a Goldwing...

I also just got sucked down a Google rabbit hole and holy lol at this guy's V8 conversion.

Also this guy's Jimny electric conversion.

Export versions of the kei trucks/vans did get bigger motors; the Suzuki Carry was I think 880cc in the late 80s and later upgraded to a 1.3L here in Australia. The APV is currently sold here with a 1.3L plant as well. But I think it'd be exponentially more hassle to deal with a non-Japan country doing this - less infrastructure in terms of auction houses, exporters, etc, not to mention vehicles actually tend to get used rather than babied (and the population doesn't get winnowed down by shaken inspections over the years). I do wonder if Japan/US car shipping isn't a fair bit cheaper than other routes... I was getting a few quotes and it was looking like $2-3k at a minimum to get from Melbourne to the west coast.

That said, I was just offered a full time contract yesterday, so I am very seriously considering buying the boxy van of my dreams this summer. Right now there are two Delicas for sale in my region:

This Charmonix and a Super Exceed. I don't know how likely it is I actually will go through with bringing it back to the US, but the Charmonix is more tempting as a 1994 vs a '96, plus it only has 193k to the Super Exceed's 240k and seller is asking less. Finding one with sub 200kms is pretty uncommon here, but I reckon it'll be due up for a timing belt soon. The Super Exceed has more creature comforts* and I do like the crazy skylights, but OTOH the Charmonix's unapologetically 90s graphics package is a not-insignificant part of the appeal of the later Delicas for me. Both are automatic turbo diesels, I've pretty much written off finding one in manual, and I've always got my KLR if I miss shifting gears. Wouldn't mind a LWB but they're only slightly more common than manuals, which is to say rare as hell.

Basically I could live with that Charmonix and it's likely the best thing that'll come up locally for a while, or I could look at doing a fly and drive from the mainland. Decisions...

*My Starlet doesn't even have power steering, ABS, or a driver's airbag, so pretty much anything is going to be a huge step up in terms of amenities, lol

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 15, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Put in a bid for 709,125, sold for 715,000 :negative: Less than 52 bucks difference :negative:

With my Az-1 some other dude i think put in a bid for 545,000 yen but yoshi did this.

You won! Bidding went up to your max bid but we won for 546,000 Yen

Kakermix, question.

Where can i find some rubber bushings for an az-1

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It always takes two bidders with their heart in it to get the price up high.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

With my Az-1 some other dude i think put in a bid for 545,000 yen but yoshi did this.

You won! Bidding went up to your max bid but we won for 546,000 Yen

Kakermix, question.

Where can i find some rubber bushings for an az-1

You're going to want to join the AZ-1 Facebook Group as it's the best English source of info, tricks and places to find parts.

Here is the diagrams for the car and you should order them through https://www.amayama.com/en for the best price.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You're going to want to join the AZ-1 Facebook Group as it's the best English source of info, tricks and places to find parts.

Here is the diagrams for the car and you should order them through https://www.amayama.com/en for the best price.

I have no idea how to facebook, guess i have to make an account.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

wargames posted:

I have no idea how to facebook, guess i have to make an account.

For some communities it’s the only option unfortunately. Automotive specific forums are dying. In my industry (radio controlled cars) using Facebook and being members of a million different groups is required just to keep a pulse on everything.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I don't think facebook should have my Birth certificate on file to make an account.

wargames fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 15, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wargames posted:

I don't think facebook should have my Birth certificate on file to make an account.

Use a Russian name.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

lol that's terrifying. Especially because I sent my facebook up so long ago that besides my real name, they have garbage for info I've entered in for everything else. I'm sure they could easily just pull info otherwise but I do not facebook on my phone at all. I'd rather not use it but for stuff like this, like Heroic says, it's kind of all that's left.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

PayPal sent me a thing asking for my SSN. I assume it was legit, but I deleted it cause hell no LMAO.

I quit Facebook a couple years ago, but yeah there are car-related pages that I miss a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Since when has Facebook been asking for id? Lots of people have accounts under fake names don’t they?