Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

al-azad posted:

Did anybody else have a weird screen effect midway through? When they steal the computer there was a pattern that looked like smoke in the center of the screen. I thought it was stylistic but it persisted up to May's basement and felt out of place.

That was your theater catching fire. NBD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

my god this movie was amazing. The moment the score and opening credits started up I was enthralled and it didn't let up until the terrible christmas carol and 60's animation after the credits. My only major criticism is the marketing people trying to gloss over the fact that there's a gross rear end in a top hat hidden on the soundtrack, everything else is magic. Miles is awesome, Gwen is awesome, Nic Cage spouting absurd 1930s detective slang is wonderful, John Mulaney as a cartoon pig is perfect, Peter "Nick Miller" Parker is great, the villains are all amazing (you'd never expect Jorma Taccone to be a good Green Goblin but he is wonderful, and the family drama is awesome. Mahershala Ali isn't given quite enough to do but he kills it with what he's given, ditto with Lily Tomlin.

I was 10 when the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie came out and it was the most exciting thing in the world to see my favorite comic book in live action on the big screen. Now, 16 years on, seeing a live-action comic book is boring but I hope there are a bunch of 10 year olds out there who watch this movie and get excited to see their favorite comic book in motion looking way better than live action ever could. Or even better, introduce an entire generation to Miles Morales, who is the perfect heir to the Spider-Man legacy.

(also, maybe it's just stereotyping based on the haircut but I kinda assumed Spider-Gwen was gay. Like, every Spider-Person has their Mary Jane, and hers is actually Mary Jane.)

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was your theater catching fire. NBD.

Pretty good way to die, honestly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This movie was amazing, no pun intended. Beautiful and aspirational in the way you want comic book films to be but they so rarely are. Well written too, which I haven't seen as many people talk about compared to the outstanding visual and sound design. Punchy, again no pun intended, dialogue is so essential for Spiderman stories and this one's got that down pat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is absolutely my new favorite version of Dr. Octopus and I've always been a big mark for that character to begin with.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

honestly all of the villain designs are dope as hell. The ones that aren't vastly different from their comic counterparts (Kingpin, Prowler, Hammerhead) really emphasize their power and look stylish as hell, and the ones that are (Goblin, Scorpion, Ock) are still recognizably the character but with a lot of cool new ideas brought to the table.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh that was Hammerhead? I don't know who that is, I assumed it was Solomon Grundy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

This movie was amazing

Spectacular.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pick posted:

Oh that was Hammerhead? I don't know who that is, I assumed it was Solomon Grundy.

Nope, it was Tombstone. He's an albino.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Liev Shriber's Kingpin voice is one of my favorite things about this movie. The "Nooooo Your-k" accent just fit him so well, and made him funnier, which in turn makes it more stark when he loving squashes Peter Parker

"I'd say it's nice to see ya, but...s'not"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't like superhero films so I'm fine not knowing these things :v

It's amazing I like this film so much considering that I think spider man sucks (as a general media property)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Jus saw it today. Easily one of my top movies of the year.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Spider-Man singing carols leading into 60's animated Spider-Man was so good.

Stay for the entire credits sequence! Not only is it hilarious, your patience will be handsomely rewarded.

Also, I need this on Blu-Ray immediately in order to hunt for more things like this. I spotted an alternate version of Mulaney's Broadway show but that was about it.

https://twitter.com/rodneyrothman/status/1073050369897357312

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

There is a huge sign for Clone High at one point too.

Fan-loving-tastic movie. Does film, animation, comic books, and spider-man justice. It's greater than the sum of its parts and its parts are all dripping with love and care. The sound-design and soundtrack are great as well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't stop thinking about this movie.

Fanboyism isn't my thing but Spider-Man is the one hero I honestly adore. This movie went straight into my veins. I'm poor and lack free time but I may see it again soon.

Christ, it was even better than Homecoming.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It is absolutely, to its roots, a spider-man movie. But simply calling it "a spider-man movie" feels cheap to me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

NecroMonster posted:

It is absolutely, to its roots, a spider-man movie. But simply calling it "a spider-man movie" feels cheap to me.

I think that what the movie does really well is that it gets to the heart of what makes Spider-Man a compelling and enduring character: that no matter what hits he takes, no matter how thankless being Spider-Man can be, and no matter the cost, he'll always gets back up. And the movie highlights that by juxtaposing it incredibly well between Miles the rookie and Peter the veteran: Miles has to overcome his inexperience and self-doubt as to whether he can get back up, while Peter has to overcome his mental exhaustion so he can remember that it's worth it to get back up. It's a classic story, and one that's well-told and executed amidst an excellent cast of antagonists and supporting characters.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think Kingpin absolutely stood out as a huge contrast to whatever onscreen action was going on in a way that gave him some serious presence. Not just talking about the previously-mentioned juxtaposition of flashy color and black void, but the way he just shot Prowler to death with a real gun in a move where every other gun fired was a big, cartoony laser. That caught me way off guard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

In the comics, his daughter is a supervillain and a lawyer. But I repeat myself.

Excellent film. Also remarkably lean for how much it's juggling. Most films introducing this many characters feel bloated, but this actually keeps focus.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Excellent film. Also remarkably lean for how much it's juggling. Most films introducing this many characters feel bloated, but this actually keeps focus.

The script does a lot of superb heavy lifting with touchstones and payoffs, whether they played them straight or for laughs. Like Nicolas Cage-Man with his mystery cube, or Gwen with her aversion to getting close. Except for Spider-Pig—because come on, he's Spider-Pig—they made sure to doll out a few quick but illustrative character-beats to every Spidey and even most of the villains. Hell, I think this Fisk is maybe the most sympathetic portal of that character outside of Netflix Season 1 Daredevil, and they achieved with something like a minute-thirty of screen time.

They even found a clever way to avoid origin fatigue by turning it into a running joke.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 16, 2018

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

NecroMonster posted:

There is a huge sign for Clone High at one point too.

Fan-loving-tastic movie. Does film, animation, comic books, and spider-man justice. It's greater than the sum of its parts and its parts are all dripping with love and care. The sound-design and soundtrack are great as well.
Clone College, actually!

This is going to be a good one to rewatch once it's on some streaming service. I caught a few of the background gags but it looked like there were a lot more to be found.

My personal favorite bit of the graphic design: The dithering on Spider-Man Noir's clothing doesn't move with him and isn't aligned to his clothes or anything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, his tonework is done differently, which I loved. Like traditional screentone. If you've never seen it applied, it's a wild process. I still have some I've used in the past.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just saw this at an Alamo Drafthouse. It was dope as hell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Popoi posted:

The dithering on Spider-Man Noir's clothing doesn't move with him and isn't aligned to his clothes or anything.

Everything about the way he moves is dripping with style. There's this one moment I wish I had a gif of, a static low angle shot of him stepping over a beaten villain and into the camera. It's something like two seconds of animation, but it pops because of how dissonant it is with the rest of that particular scene.

Also, I don't follow the comics, but Miles and Gwen make a very cute prospective couple. Good job on their part laying the groundwork by establishing that she's only 15-something months older than him. Wasn't she like 25 to his 16 going on 17 in the comic?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 16, 2018

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I wasn’t really watching for it so I don’t know for certain, but I’ve also seen someone claim that they deliberately made Peni Parker’s lip flaps out of sync with her dialogue as part of the whole anime aesthetic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The age difference with Gwen and Miles in the comics is a few years, I think. I don't think they really work there.

They were good in the movie and making them about the same age was a good idea. I liked how Peter allowed them to bond and smiled at it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I like that both Peter B. Parker and Gwen gain some new perspective, and a much needed shot of self worth, from their frankly crazy cross-dimensional collision with Miles.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Aunt May was also an awesome badass. Just enough lines to establish that, without making her yet another main character.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Aunt May was also an awesome badass. Just enough lines to establish that, without making her yet another main character.

Yeah, they never pause for a direct callout, but the fact that she made Miles' web shooters and knew Dr. Octavius by her first name is a clear nod to her being some kind of badass science wiz in this timeline. Good odds she becomes Q to Miles' Bond in the sequel.

Edit: also, "I like to drink egg-creams, and I like to fight Nazis. A lot." is all the backstory any superhero ever needs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 16, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, I don't follow the comics, but Miles and Gwen make a very cute prospective couple. Good job on their part laying the groundwork by establishing that she's only 15-something months older than him. Wasn't she like 25 to his 16 going on 17 in the comic?

When they had their big crossover in the comics Miles described Gwen as being "barely two years older than me," so she's around 18 or 19, and that storyline was all about the two of them potentially being a thing (it was called Sitting in a Tree), so the movie felt very true to that dynamic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

*bagel*

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I don't know what got a better laugh from me, that or Peter in full costume crying in the shower

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know what got a better laugh from me, that or Peter in full costume crying in the shower

For me it was "Sleeeeeeeep"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think everything from Miles getting a literal hairy palm to his duel with the pigeons was gold.

As was him dragging Peter B’s unconscious body around... via web-slinging onto a subway.

...Oh, and the whole bread skit right before the climax started.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm not surprised there was an Edgar Wright shout out in the film because lots of it felt very much his style.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Now that I think about it theres litteraly no explanation where that radiactive spider that bit Miles came from

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Now that I think about it theres litteraly no explanation where that radiactive spider that bit Miles came from

It's written on the spide

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I got the impression it was another multiverse escapee. It did have Alchemax written on it but that considering Spider-2099 in the credits that doesn't rule it out. It also just could have gotten there when Doc Ock or someone visited since it's right near the supercollider spot.

My favorite little bit was the Spider-Man comics. I was confused how they worked in a setting where he was real but if you look at the pages the main character has a different hair color and is named Billy.

Another bit I liked that made things feel less coincidental: Of course Uncle Aaron knew the spot he took Miles to. He works as Prowler and it would have passed it by frequently while visiting the supercollider.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Definitely see the movie in 3D if you get the chance. The animation style is perfect for it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Really can't imagine this movie working in 3D but I'll consider it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Definitely see the movie in 3D if you get the chance. The animation style is perfect for it.

But it's so colourful! If it's a trade off between 3D and it looking so vivid I'd go for the latter every time.