Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Last Chance posted:

oh, you don't have to sync the iphone with a cable anymore.

frankly, i'm surprised it's still an option given apple's hatred of backwards compatibility

in fact they hate it so much (and you personally, for wanting such a thing) that they lie about which apps are incompatible: https://eclecticlight.co/2018/10/13/dont-believe-system-informations-legacy-applications/

quote:

Whatever Apple’s list of Legacy Software means, it doesn’t tell you which of your apps are 32-bit only and won’t be fully compatible with macOS 10.15. Neither do the alerts which Mojave displays when you open a 32-bit app for the first time, as they appear only for apps which are being put through full Gatekeeper checks because they have just been downloaded from the internet. Those 32-bit apps which you already have installed don’t get put through those checks, so never result in that warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wifi sync has pretty much always been bad. Even for me, who had it work for years up until recently when it stopped. And if it stall out during a wifi sync then I have to either restart iTunes, or restart my phone, depending on what's stuck. At least with a USB sync I can unplug and plug it in so that I can have it try again. But this morning I had to do that twice for the two syncs I did before leaving for work.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i used to hate doing wifi sync so much. eventually i just switched to home sharing (which isn’t great on a non-appletv) and icloud backups

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apple keeps trying to build a social network

apple keeps failing

quote:

Apple Music removes ability for artists to post to Connect, posts removed from Artist Pages and For You

Apple Music Connect appears to slowly be going the way of iTunes Ping. Apple has started notifying Apple Music artists that it is removing the ability for artists to post content to Apple Music Connect, and previously posted Apple Music Connect content is being removed from the For You section and Artist Pages in Apple Music. Connect content will still be viewable through search results on Apple Music, but Apple is removing artist-submitted Connect posts from search in May
rip ping 2.0, lets see what horrible abomination will slither forth to replace you

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
are those projects assigned to contractors, or to personnel they are trying to fire?

seems like a convenient place to stash someone you’re not ready to terminate

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

El_Elegante posted:

are those projects assigned to contractors, or to personnel they are trying to fire?

seems like a convenient place to stash someone you’re not ready to terminate

apple's teams are famously small so it's probably assigned to one person and it's their ninth priority

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm imaging 10 john fireball wannabes wondering why their lubricious social network isn't taking off.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
unlikely.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

frankly, i'm surprised it's still an option given apple's hatred of backwards compatibility

in fact they hate it so much (and you personally, for wanting such a thing) that they lie about which apps are incompatible: https://eclecticlight.co/2018/10/13/dont-believe-system-informations-legacy-applications/

umm :what:

there were a number of apps that I’d installed already and mojave warned me they’re gonna get sent to live on a farm once weed mojave comes out next year. not just apps I downloaded after mojave.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah that article is horseshit

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

it finds a total of 339 apps and components which are 32-bit only, out of 1425 discovered in my Applications folder.
ahaha wtf

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol John Fireball was so overcome by the Shining scene I’m ready player one that he wept in the theater

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Linguica posted:

I’m ready player one

quoting this confession for posterity

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the "upload to imgur" shortcut in the siri shortcut gallery didn't quite cut it, so I made it better and wanted to share with y'all https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2cc6f18b23384c788ffc176d4421b7c4

a lot of the apple provided ones just do one specific thing so at first I was like “oh this sucks” but there is actually a fair bit of flexibility in there

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

THC posted:

the "upload to imgur" shortcut in the siri shortcut gallery didn't quite cut it, so I made it better and wanted to share with y'all https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2cc6f18b23384c788ffc176d4421b7c4

a lot of the apple provided ones just do one specific thing so at first I was like “oh this sucks” but there is actually a fair bit of flexibility in there

three things i wish siri shortcuts did:

- accept simple scanf-type formats, so i can say things like "hey siri, blood pressure %d over %d" instead of that prompting for input garbage
- not require a screen unlock to run, so i can say things like that from across the room
- allow you to use a written programming language (no not applescript)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

- not require a screen unlock to run, so i can say things like that from across the room

yes, let's give up any pretense of security

arbitrary command execution on locked devices via an assistant has worked out well so far

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

- accept simple scanf-type formats, so i can say things like "hey siri, blood pressure %d over %d" instead of that prompting for input garbage

i'm sure this will work great with multiple languages

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i don't have a lot of 32-bit apps but almost all of them are attached to adobe cc in some way lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

depending on what "components" means 1425 might be really low. for comparison:

$ find /Applications -exec file {} \; | grep 'Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64' | wc -l

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

yeah I realized later something like that could be an issue. I suppose making it a feature that's optional and each user would have to turn it on for each shortcut would work? and when you share it and someone else downloads it, there'd be no on-by-default setting or anything like that.

Doc Block posted:

i'm sure this will work great with multiple languages

:saddowns:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i dunno, i still think allowing users to opt in to breaking their own security isn't great either.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

three things i wish siri shortcuts did:

- allow you to use a written programming language (no not applescript)

this is such a programmer's post

"please break any semblance of discoverability or usability so i can write my bespoke custom entire applications in it because i am a smart programmer and you should need to know how to program a computer to use your phone"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

when will siri get vim integration

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://ish.app/
The Linux shell on iOS.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/16/3d-printed-heads-unlock-cops-hackers/

I don't like the future, can we go back to the present

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sorta buried in the link to the original tests, but

quote:

No such luck with the iPhone X, though. Apple's investment in its tech - which saw the company work with a Hollywood studio to create realistic masks to test Face ID - has clearly paid off. It was impossible to break in with the model.

so yeah, the facial recognition that can be circumvented with a photograph can also be circumvented by a 3d model of a head. apple is unaffected

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
if the cops commission a 3d model of my head I will bankrupt myself suing them to take possession of it

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ted hitler posted:

https://ish.app/
The Linux shell on iOS.

Instead of using a native ARM built terminal they bundled an emulator, like ok?

quote:

iSH is a project to get a Linux shell environment running locally on your iOS device, using a usermode x86 emulator.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

carry on then posted:

this is such a programmer's post

"please break any semblance of discoverability or usability so i can write my bespoke custom entire applications in it because i am a smart programmer and you should need to know how to program a computer to use your phone"
have you LOOKED at the shortcuts app as it actually exists today?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
The shortcuts app is odd. When it works it's cool but a lot of the times I'll think of something and then come up to a wall where apple specifically doesn't allow that feature. Things like oh why don't I make a shortcut that toggles mono/stereo; nope not allowed to use settings.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

infernal machines posted:

i dunno, i still think allowing users to opt in to breaking their own security isn't great either.

there are plenty of built-in actions via siri i don't have to unlock my iphone to perform. ("hey siri, send a message to infernal machines's mom.")

granted, to my knowledge none of them relate to important poo poo like health data.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the difference would be between a list of curated "safe" commands and being able to execute any arbitrary function via shortcut. unless you restricted what could be used from a lock screen based on what functions it accesses, which i imagine would be fairly opaque to the user

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

quote:

you're saying that like i wanted to take away existing functionality.

infernal machines posted:

i think the difference would be between a list of curated "safe" commands and being able to execute any arbitrary function via shortcut. unless you restricted what could be used from a lock screen based on what functions it accesses, which i imagine would be fairly opaque to the user

yeah.

i realize apple thinks the security, discoverability, and usability aspects of their software through much better than i do.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

siri sucks donkey balls, shortcuts or not

every loving time i ask her for something she shits sideways and runs headfirst into a wall. then out of curiosity i make my gf ask her google phone, and without fail the same query works.

donkey. balls.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i don’t speak to my computer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Siri is incapable of telling me the distance between berlin and Frankfurt Germany.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i use siri to set timers when cooking and it works ok for that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i use siri to set timers when cooking and it works ok for that

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted: