Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pomp posted:

Local 47 or whatever already does it

Local 58 is branching out...

Alhazred posted:

The movie is so bad that even Tim Curry looks miserable being in it:

Please stop eating my sesame cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Please stop eating my sesame cake.

Have some coffee and cake.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

Gopro hiker youtuber guy werewolf movie. he gets bit and keeps hiking and later reviews his footage in horror as it turns out he turned into a monster and ate a bunch of campers on that night he couldnt remember.
Minus the werewolf part, this is kind of what happens in Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Blair Witch 2 rules.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I went to a screening of Hereditary last night with a Q&A featuring the director and Ann Dowd. While it's an astoundingly well made movie, but it was a bit annoying because Ari Aster was sort of throwing other horror under the bus and talking about how he didn't want to work with anyone who had experience in horror. It led to this great exchange.

Aster:There's really no jump scares in the film, maybe one or two.
Dowd: What are those?
Aster: Which scenes are jump scares?
Dowd: No, what is a jump scare?
Aster: It's like a scene that serves to startle the audience. Like something just jumps at the screen or there is a loud noise.
Dowd: Oh, there are quite a few of those in the movie.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

^^^^^
The modern horror movie “industry” absolutely deserves to be thrown under the bus

My Twitter Account posted:

Minus the werewolf part, this is kind of what happens in Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

It’s also basically the zombie section from vhs 2

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My Twitter Account posted:

Guess that's why I'm not a bigshot writer!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Aster:There's really no jump scares in the film, maybe one or two.
Dowd: What are those?
Aster: Which scenes are jump scares?
Dowd: No, what is a jump scare?
Aster: It's like a scene that serves to startle the audience. Like something just jumps at the screen or there is a loud noise.
Dowd: Oh, there are quite a few of those in the movie.

Lmao Ann Dowd rules

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So with a new horror thread comes a new post from me about The Butterfly Murders. A 1979 martial arts flick that is also Tsui Hark's first movie. I fuckin' love this movie.

But wait! It's not just a martial arts flick. I mean it starts out that way, and seems pretty by the numbers, extensive voice overs about how the Martial World is in turmoil, we learn that the story's being told from the POV of a reporter of the time. And we see inklings of what it becomes, but the scope of the story becomes more personal, down to a handful of characters they all converge on the same location in which the entire rest of the movie takes place, where it becomes clear that you're watching a stylishly shot mystery/slasher movie. You can see inklings of it even from the beginning but this movie owns for going in such a different direction than expected.

Tragically, I've only ever seen extremely bad prints of it (you can see a bad one on Amazon Prime right now which I strongly recommend!) because you can 100% tell this movie is gorgeous. It's genuinely impressive how claustrophobic and dangerous it feels (especially after the killer shows up in person). Like they could have just called it a day by setting it in a claustrophobic place, but they went all out with lots of sudden awkward overhead and close up shots that are perfectly inserted into points of panic among the cast.

Most of the movie takes place over just a few hours over one night too which is really awesome and, like a giallo, even has a scene towards the end where a character breaks it down with some brief flashbacks to previous footage to explain exactly what the killer was up to and why. Also the design and physical acting of the killer at their peak absolutely owns and is basically a wuxia version of like a Jason or similar high powered slasher killer.

Anyway this movie is cool as hell for what it pulls off in its time and place, so have some imagery.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

OldTennisCourt posted:

You'd love this: http://www.the15experience.com/hacker.html

Does exactly what you're talking about but it's a haunted house

You can watch all of the 15 different cameras to see creepy poo poo or stick to Hacker's View which basically follows the action.

Was there one of these for a slightly different horror genre? I remember demonic rituals...and higher lighting levels.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Bird Box stunk. Book is way better.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tolkien minority posted:

^^^^^
The modern horror movie “industry” absolutely deserves to be thrown under the bus
Counter point: Horror is pretty great.

Also, I have no idea why you put industry in quotes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counter point: "Horror" is pretty "great"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In 1979 Sergio Martino directed a movie called Island of the Fishmen. Despite the somewhat lurid advertising it...actually earnestly attempts to be interesting, like a mix of a Creature from the Black Lagoon and an Island of Dr. Moreau kind of story. It's not totally successful and pretty slow but I appreciate the effort. And it's relatively tame so a kid could watch it. But it's also a bit dated, compared to something like The Shape of Water this one's a bit too much of a straight-faced throwback to 50s movies.

A couple of years later, like in the case of Lisa and the Devil being released in a drastically different form in the US as The House of Exorcism, it had some new footage shot for its release in the US. However unlike Lisa and the Devil which got turned into a very different movie, the new footage here is just a new introductory scene.......that fuckin' rules. It's well shot, nicely paced, and quite gory compared to the rest of the movie, and is moody enough that they should have just taken the cast and outfits and stuff from it and just made a completely original movie with that. So if you have Prime check out the flick Screamers (1981, Island of the Fishmen's US title) and definitely at least watch the first ten minutes or so.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counter point: Horror is pretty great.

Also, I have no idea why you put industry in quotes.

I mean, when I say horror industry I mean like the current big name horror directors/producers working ala James wan and mike Flanagan and Netflix originals that make serviceable derivative dreck with mass appeal and lots of blue filters. Those dudes suck.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Who could poo poo talk Congo? It’s like bullying a kindergartener.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lol at posers itt poo poo talking Congo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

I mean, when I say horror industry I mean like the current big name horror directors/producers working ala James wan and mike Flanagan and Netflix originals that make serviceable derivative dreck with mass appeal and lots of blue filters. Those dudes suck.

Perhaps the same could be said of all current big name horror directors/producers. I mean I wouldn't say Sam Raimi or Argento or Fulci were exactly "big names" in the 80s at an equivalent level to Wan or Flanagan today.

Man, Netflix. Apostle was so good but people were underwhelmed by it it seemed. It was honestly refreshing to have something with that premise be so fast paced.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all current big name horror directors/producers. I mean I wouldn't say Sam Raimi or Argento or Fulci were exactly "big names" in the 80s at an equivalent level to Wan or Flanagan today.

Man, Netflix. Apostle was so good but people were underwhelmed by it it seemed. It was honestly refreshing to have something with that premise be so fast paced.

yeah Apostle wrongfooted me in the best way possible and i loved it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

lol at posers itt poo poo talking Congo

Congo, the movie that had gorillas, laser and Tim Curry and still was a slog to watch.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Congo, the movie that had gorillas, laser and Tim Curry and still was a slog to watch.

Did you know this man is a big bag of poo poo?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Neo Rasa posted:

In 1979 Sergio Martino directed a movie called Island of the Fishmen. Despite the somewhat lurid advertising it...actually earnestly attempts to be interesting, like a mix of a Creature from the Black Lagoon and an Island of Dr. Moreau kind of story. It's not totally successful and pretty slow but I appreciate the effort. And it's relatively tame so a kid could watch it. But it's also a bit dated, compared to something like The Shape of Water this one's a bit too much of a straight-faced throwback to 50s movies.

A couple of years later, like in the case of Lisa and the Devil being released in a drastically different form in the US as The House of Exorcism, it had some new footage shot for its release in the US. However unlike Lisa and the Devil which got turned into a very different movie, the new footage here is just a new introductory scene.......that fuckin' rules. It's well shot, nicely paced, and quite gory compared to the rest of the movie, and is moody enough that they should have just taken the cast and outfits and stuff from it and just made a completely original movie with that. So if you have Prime check out the flick Screamers (1981, Island of the Fishmen's US title) and definitely at least watch the first ten minutes or so.

That's all Roger Corman's doing I am pretty sure. Something about a skinless man or something or another.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

That's all Roger Corman's doing I am pretty sure. Something about a skinless man or something or another.

Oh yeah I figured it was a zombie movie from the Screamers cover so it being what it is was a pleasant surprise! I can imagine it must have flopped horribly though from that switch though. Reading about it now, it seems Corman first had the intro filmed and released the flick in the US as "Something Waits in the Dark," it flopped, then they added the inside out/skinless dude part just for the trailers and gave it the name Screamers and that new cover to try a second time. :lol:

Speaking of Screamers I had no idea there was a 2009 direct to video squel to the Peter Weller movie. It's concensus on it looks like it has great practical gore but bad everything else so I'll have to check it out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
25 Christmas Horror Movies Ranked - it's a BuzzFeed "article" but it's a pretty solid list with a nice variety and even some things I hadn't heard of.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Narzack posted:

Did you know this man is a big bag of poo poo?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

25 Christmas Horror Movies Ranked - it's a BuzzFeed "article" but it's a pretty solid list with a nice variety and even some things I hadn't heard of.

I'm going to check out the ones on here that are new to me, but I have to question Wind Chill being on the list since that's one of the lamest movies I've ever seen.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

James Woods Fan posted:

Bird Box stunk. Book is way better.

It's a really difficult book to film and this adaptation wasn't up to it. Rewatch The Mist instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Not ranking Gremlins as the number one Christmas horror movie should be punishable by imprisonment.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

Not ranking Gremlins as the number one Christmas horror movie should be punishable by imprisonment.

That list is ordered by rotten tomatoes score.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

NOT LMAO-ING AT THE NON-POSER ITT WITH THE CORRECT OPINION

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkZMYMWM44

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kvlt! posted:

NOT LMAO-ING AT THE NON-POSER ITT WITH THE CORRECT OPINION

That list has Christmas Evil at number 4 so technically it is a wrong opinion as that should be Number 1.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tolkien minority posted:

I mean fair enough. Obviously there is always going to be dreck, and the dreck of today often doesn't seem as fun or as weird as the dreck of the 80s.

The way he was talking about horror just seemed a bit tone deaf to me. There has been this slow burn of prestige horror like The Witch and The Babadook that really culminated in the response to Get Out. I'd also argue that the more grungy VOD horror of the late 2000s and early 2010s really paved the way for where we are now. And now we're in this place where there are two horror movies this year that are serious Oscar contenders.

It just seemed like he was talking about his film like an exception when it's part of a larger wave of horror.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

This is a pretty good list, thanks for sharing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Screamers I had no idea there was a 2009 direct to video squel to the Peter Weller movie. It's concensus on it looks like it has great practical gore but bad everything else so I'll have to check it out.
I've seen it, and I recall I had the same problem with it as the first one: the robots haven't gotten any more sleek; in the second one it looks like people are being murdered by a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a horseshoe crab.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

chitoryu12 posted:

It's something to be taken in context with other evidence, like if you see someone wearing a Thor's Hammer necklace and find out that they're actually just Norwegian.

FYI even in Norway 9/10 times that means they're a Nazi.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Stink Billyums posted:

Rewatch The Mist instead.

Generally applicable in most situations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Goddamn Mimic is not good. I had forgotten how much it borrowed from Aliens as far as the bugs go. About the only enjoyment I got out of it was picking out all the samples Front Line Assembly used.

Anybody sit through the sequels?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

david_a posted:

Goddamn Mimic is not good. I had forgotten how much it borrowed from Aliens as far as the bugs go. About the only enjoyment I got out of it was picking out all the samples Front Line Assembly used.

You're wrong because mimic kicks rear end and is dope as gently caress. LMAO-ing at this poser.

You can definitely skip the sequels though, especially if you didn't like the first one.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mimic is decent, but don't let your love for GDT cloud it. It's very clearly a studio chop-job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

david_a posted:

I've sat through the sequels and they get lousier with each one.