Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't know much about Stewart Lee but his bit on Top Gear is incisive as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2LcKdRU0o

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Twelve Women Accuse Medium John Of God Of Sexual Abuse
https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/brazil/2018/12/twelve-women-accuse-medium-john-of-god-of-sexual-abuse.shtml

Cybill Shepherd: Les Moonves canceled my sitcom when I refused his sexual advances
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cybill-shepherd-les-moonves-canceled-sitcom-refused-sex-161755748.html

Don Hewitt Misconduct Settlement Reportedly Cost CBS More Than $5 Million
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/don-hewitt-misconduct-settlement-reportedly-013410154.html

Radio station stops playing ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ amid Me Too movement
https://wgntv.com/2018/11/30/radio-station-stops-playing-baby-its-cold-outside-amid-me-too-movement/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Variety posted:

Harvey Weinstein was hit with a lawsuit Friday from an actress who claims he forcibly performed oral sex on her, repeatedly masturbated in front of her, and threatened to harm her career if she objected.

According to the suit, Weinstein pushed her to the ground during a meeting in his office in 2013. He then removed her underwear and began to perform oral sex, as she started to sob in protest. He then asked, “Do you even want to be an actress?,” according to the suit.

Weinstein said he was trying to help her and that he was the gateway to her dreams, according to the suit, adding, “I slept with Jennifer Lawrence and look where she is; she has just won an Oscar.”

Lawrence issued a statement on Friday denying that they had a sexual relationship.

“My heart breaks for all the women who were victimized by Harvey Weinstein,” Lawrence said. “I have never had anything but a professional relationship with him. This is yet another example of the predatory tactics and lies that he engaged in to lure countless women.”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There is something morbidly impressive to the fact that Harvey Weinstein has no basement. Every time you think the last terrible story has come out, the ground buckles, and whoops, there's a whole other floor of gross poo poo to land in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What the, Oscar? seriously imo Jennifer Lawrence deserved an oscar for Winter's Bone. She's very good in good movies.

I don't doubt he said that, I'm just expressing disbelief at how desperate it sounds. "Aaa I wanna gently caress, quick, if you're not getting an Oscar as Diaz in The Mask, you're fired! Also we still have sex". Whatever, that was a sideboard. He's a piece of poo poo regardless.

Weinstein deserves shot out of a cannon into the sun.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PP_SWHUQQ

(leading into a joke about Bill Clinton killing someone during his presidency) but "Cosby, he's a great man (first of all*) there's never been any accusations for Bill Cosby".

* that "first of all" might refer to Bill Clinton too, idk.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is the only thing of Norm MacDonald I think I’ve ever seen and I intend to keep it that way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Fart City posted:

There is something morbidly impressive to the fact that Harvey Weinstein has no basement. Every time you think the last terrible story has come out, the ground buckles, and whoops, there's a whole other floor of gross poo poo to land in.

It's like the recurring John Oliver bit from 2016 about how far we'd gone after we'd hit rock bottom, only Weinstein groped it.

I know the Weatherly stuff is from Bull, but it likely explains why NCIS (also CBS) had such a high turnover of lead actresses too. It's telling that three of the four characters to leave got fridged too, like there was just a general dislike of women by the creators. Pauley Perette kept dropping hints on Twitter about something happening, and the official line was to do with Mark Harmon's dog biting someone. Starting to doubt that now. (Also this is NCIS we're talking about. Did they seriously expect the criminal to be anyone but the unassuming guy who'd just been kind of hanging around since the beginning?)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

I mean, as far as this thread goes, he's def in honorary enemy territory. He's, like, been on Conan or whatever talkin' all this "due process" poo poo, and what made it grosser was that he even said something to the effect of, "I'll give you that 85% of claims are legitimate" but, of course, it's just a chauvinistic fig leaf for not actually doing poo poo to address the problem.

That's the thing about Burr - he's the perfect example of how, for all the misanthropy and pessimism that pervades the world of stand-up comedy, even its most reactionary elements pretty much boil down to a "this is the best of all possible worlds" theory. By any significant measure he's just a liberal who happens to be a cranky old guy, but when push comes to shove he's not dying on a hill to fight anything systemic and will just as soon retreat into denialism.

A thinly veiled reactionary who refuses to do anything meaningful for oppressed groups is pretty much every white liberal

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like nobody should be suprised that the old crop of 90s shock jock comedians are just garbage people

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean I think their biggest problem is just the White Guy Problem of "the stuff that people are upset about doesn't affect me so I don't see it as a problem, I just want poo poo to stay the same". And that kind of poo poo gets worse the older the white guy gets, because then they're also even more out of touch since they're no longer part of the generation trying to deal with the big problems. They're the creators of the problems the young generation's trying to solve.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guy on Disney show gets fired for trying to have sex with a minor:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/disney-channel-andi-mack-actor-arrested-1203090583/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Guy on Disney show gets fired for trying to have sex with a minor:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/disney-channel-andi-mack-actor-arrested-1203090583/

Ahhh Utah. Of course.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I mean I think their biggest problem is just the White Guy Problem of "the stuff that people are upset about doesn't affect me so I don't see it as a problem, I just want poo poo to stay the same". And that kind of poo poo gets worse the older the white guy gets, because then they're also even more out of touch since they're no longer part of the generation trying to deal with the big problems. They're the creators of the problems the young generation's trying to solve.

Jerry Seinfeld has been like this for a long time too, even if he isn't as raunchy as the usual suspects. Now I cringe whenever I see Seinfeld's name in a headline because I know he's going to have some odious "uncle at Thanksgiving" hot take on the latest controversy of the day.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Any amount of research makes it clear that Jerry Seinfeld is a fuckin lunatic with a carefully cultivated image. Him being problematic isn't new; it's just more visible as of late.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Seinfeld was literally 9 years of Jerry Seinfeld being an out of touch dick. It’s perfectly in character.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Seinfeld worked because no one realized Larry David was the actual funny one

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerry Seinfeld is a huge rear end in a top hat. He only cares about people that are like him and his brand of comedy, and otherwise lacks all empathy. He made a TV show where he just shoots the poo poo with industry people while they drive around in an ugly car out of his airplane hangar garage. He makes absolutely no attempt to be interesting or create an interesting experience for viewers, because he doesn't really give a poo poo about viewers. He will readily tell you so. Naturally then the status quo of things is fine by Seinfeld.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 16, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That Stewart Lee line about "institutionalized bullying" is real good and I think summarizes the ethos of modern stand-up comedy perfectly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jerry Seinfeld has been like this for a long time too, even if he isn't as raunchy as the usual suspects. Now I cringe whenever I see Seinfeld's name in a headline because I know he's going to have some odious "uncle at Thanksgiving" hot take on the latest controversy of the day.
I remember a few years ago, he said he would stop doing college shows because college students were too politically correct to like his show. I remember thinking at the time that, it's more likely that they don't like your show because you're Jerry Seinfeld and you're 60 years old.

K. Waste posted:

That Stewart Lee line about "institutionalized bullying" is real good and I think summarizes the ethos of modern stand-up comedy perfectly.

Lee's really good and had a great bit on 'political correctness gone mad' and how stupid that phrase is many years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JCBmY9NGM and another on the faux boldness of 'anti muslim jokes' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOb2KQHr7V0
He was a bit ahead of the curve, he's also just very funny.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jerry Seinfeld is probably a sociopath.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
More to the point of this thread, didn’t Jerry Seinfeld once “date” a 17 year old when he was in his 30s? It was in New York where the age of consent is 16, so no laws were broken, but still loving creepy.

I personally am more than a little leery of “A is a shithead, therefore B, who has on rare instances associated with them, is also a shithead.” We take that logic far enough and there’s going to be nobody not on the “canceled” list. At any rate, personally, I’d prefer to focus more attention on people who are trash and less attention on people who are adjacent to people who are trash. Anyway that’s just my two cents.

GrandpaPants posted:

In case anyone had any doubts that Lena Dunham was a piece of poo poo: https://forward.com/schmooze/415469/lena-dunham-apologizes-admits-she-lied-to-discredit-alleged-rape-victim/

Edit: Grammar is hard.

Can’t believe this hasn’t gotten more press. gently caress this hypocritical bitch. Apologies don’t change the the fact that she leaped to publically call a woman who had been raped as a 17 year old a liar as soon as she came public with the accusation.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

So the TL;DR version of this is that Weatherly, the star of the show, made creepy comments to Dushku, Dushku confronted him about it, he went to the producers afterwards as was like “Hey, I want her off the show,” and the producers went ahead and did that? Am I understanding that right?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

porfiria posted:

Jerry Seinfeld is probably a sociopath.

Yes, he is super rich.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Coffee And Pie posted:

Seinfeld was literally 9 years of Jerry Seinfeld being an out of touch dick. It’s perfectly in character.

* extremely Jerry Seinfeld whiny-voice * "But I don't wanna be a decent human being!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sucrose posted:

More to the point of this thread, didn’t Jerry Seinfeld once “date” a 17 year old when he was in his 30s? It was in New York where the age of consent is 16, so no laws were broken, but still loving creepy.

Yeah Seinfeld being a creepy assholes isn't news. Basically 100% of people I know who grew up/lived in Manhattan have an anecdote of that one time they were on their way wherever and saw Seinfeld hitting on a clearly teenaged girl.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose posted:

So the TL;DR version of this is that Weatherly, the star of the show, made creepy comments to Dushku, Dushku confronted him about it, he went to the producers afterwards as was like “Hey, I want her off the show,” and the producers went ahead and did that? Am I understanding that right?

Yep.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yes, he is super rich.

I mean America is a country which has rewarded sociopathic behavior since forever, it's no surprise that its most successful people turn out to be sociopaths. And I'm not talking like modest success, the top-of-the-top of the success ladder are sociopaths.

Or I'll put it this way, they're either born sociopaths or they're just regular people who've erased all traces of their humanity in order to get ahead. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/stephanieboland/status/1073955440982147072

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember a few years ago, he said he would stop doing college shows because college students were too politically correct to like his show. I remember thinking at the time that, it's more likely that they don't like your show because you're Jerry Seinfeld and you're 60 years old.

Lee's really good and had a great bit on 'political correctness gone mad' and how stupid that phrase is many years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JCBmY9NGM and another on the faux boldness of 'anti muslim jokes' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOb2KQHr7V0
He was a bit ahead of the curve, he's also just very funny.

I love Stewart Lee.

And really, what's Jerry worried about? He always worked clean, the only time I ever remember him catching flack was the thing about someone flipping through their phone "like a gay french king".

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jerry Seinfeld is a huge rear end in a top hat. He only cares about people that are like him and his brand of comedy, and otherwise lacks all empathy. He made a TV show where he just shoots the poo poo with industry people while they drive around in an ugly car out of his airplane hangar garage. He makes absolutely no attempt to be interesting or create an interesting experience for viewers, because he doesn't really give a poo poo about viewers. He will readily tell you so. Naturally then the status quo of things is fine by Seinfeld.

A while back, Jerry did an AMA, and the only answer I remember was someone asked if he wanted to read a script for a modern episode of Seinfeld the asker had written with a friend while tripping on LSD. Jerry's answer was something like "Sure, let's see it, you idiot".

Came off real dickish. Like, if you think the question's stupid, just let it go unanswered, lots of questions do at AMA's.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 16, 2018

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
The thing about Seinfeld not doing college shows anymore is that it's likely just because colleges probably can't afford his fee anymore, not because he's too *~*un-pc*~*

Also people didn't like his gay French king joke because it sucked and wasn't funny, and he got all bent out of shape over it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jerry Seinfeld has never been funny. The show was all Larry David.

Also plenty of rich people are just like you and me--and that's the real terror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The initial premise of Seinfeld was that he's a neurotic shithead and a bad comedian.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jerry Seinfeld is a huge rear end in a top hat. He only cares about people that are like him and his brand of comedy,
I could be making this up completely, but I remember years ago reading about how when Jeff Garlin started to lose weight, Larry David was just this amazing friend and supporter while Jerry was kind of an indifferent dick about it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The initial premise of Seinfeld was that he's a neurotic shithead and a bad comedian.

Oh, so he's a method actor! *laugh track, bass line plays to commercial*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A while back, Jerry did an AMA, and the only answer I remember was someone asked if he wanted to read a script for a modern episode of Seinfeld the asker had written with a friend while tripping on LSD. Jerry's answer was something like "Sure, let's see it, you idiot".

Came off real dickish. Like, if you think the question's stupid, just let it go unanswered, lots of questions do at AMA's.

I think I've told this story before, but I used to be the director of marketing at a downtown hotel here in Madison. We tended to provide the lodging for performers at the Overture Center for the Arts, which is a block away from the hotel, and as a result I wound up meeting a lot of cool people (Yo-Yo Ma is the sweetest guy ever, as was Adam Savage). Anyway, Seinfeld was doing a show at Overture, and I happened to have pulled the manager-on-duty shift the night he checked in; MOD basically means you work an eight-hour shift until the night auditor shows up and you're in charge of the place during that time. He had an entourage of a half-dozen people, treated the front desk and restaurant staff like poo poo (didn't even tip on what wound up being a nearly $100 dinner bill), and when one of his bags fell off the bell cart, he shrieked, "Oh, no, the jewels!" and then looked around, waiting for someone to laugh.

Basically everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he checked out the morning after his show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love Stewart Lee.

And really, what's Jerry worried about? He always worked clean, the only time I ever remember him catching flack was the thing about someone flipping through their phone "like a gay french king".

It made slightly more sense when Chris Rock announced something similar at the same time, but even then, it probably has more to do with 'why would college students be interested in the views of a 50 year old angry man who's been rich for 20 years?'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

I think I've told this story before, but I used to be the director of marketing at a downtown hotel here in Madison. We tended to provide the lodging for performers at the Overture Center for the Arts, which is a block away from the hotel, and as a result I wound up meeting a lot of cool people (Yo-Yo Ma is the sweetest guy ever, as was Adam Savage). Anyway, Seinfeld was doing a show at Overture, and I happened to have pulled the manager-on-duty shift the night he checked in; MOD basically means you work an eight-hour shift until the night auditor shows up and you're in charge of the place during that time. He had an entourage of a half-dozen people, treated the front desk and restaurant staff like poo poo (didn't even tip on what wound up being a nearly $100 dinner bill), and when one of his bags fell off the bell cart, he shrieked, "Oh, no, the jewels!" and then looked around, waiting for someone to laugh.

Basically everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he checked out the morning after his show.

The no tipping thing is funny because there's several points in his getting coffee in cars show where they go out of there way to imply he's an excellent tipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

The no tipping thing is funny because there's several points in his getting coffee in cars show where they go out of there way to imply he's an excellent tipper.

It was especially infuriating because he checked in right as the restaurant was closing and the F&B manager made the call to keep it open an extra hour, hour and a half for him, so wait and kitchen staff had to work long after their normal shifts, and the kitchen was already half-cleaned for the next morning, so they had to do that poo poo all over again.