Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

For anyone paying attention to DLC rumors, I wouldn't look into it too much. People have been expecting/dreading Senran Kagura as another franchise to be added to Blazblue Crosstag basically since it was released. There are datamined announcer files for those characters, it's pretty unambiguous. The official word is that they're 'probabaly leftovers from early development' and its been ages without any concrete news at all. I mean, Smash datamines are probably more reliable than that, but I still wouldn't get too worked up until it turns out to be true.

Something kinda funny I just remembered- a friend of mine was wondering a while back why they didn't put Joker+ some other P5 characters into Crosstag, and my suggestion was that it was because there wasn't a P5 arena yet. I guess we know the real answer to that question now though lol

It's bc there were no sprites for them to rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course, who'd rep Civilization would be a hilarious question.

BUFF.GANDHI.

His FS will be nuking the stage.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

This ending better be good.

I think you should stop playing this game that you hate so much.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m glad this game is as fun as I hoped it’d be.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

If you have a 3DS, Awakening is your best bet. Fates probably has a better campaign altogether, but the story/writing is much worse.

There's supposed to be a new one coming to the Switch earlyish 2019.

edit: Awakenig features Robin, Lucina, and Chrom, btw. And Ike's son from another dimension

Wait what, who is ikes son?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I just googled it, and it looks like it's some guy named John Eisenhower.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tender Bender posted:

Priam

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
how do people reliably nair? i gently caress it up constantly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punished milkman posted:

how do people reliably nair? i gently caress it up constantly

by pressing a while in the air? I'm not sure I understand the question

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Your Computer posted:

by pressing a while in the air? I'm not sure I understand the question

maybe I'm using the term wrong, if I'm trying to do a neutral air attack with no direction input I usually screw it up by going too quickly and end up inputting a direction

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I will say that neutral airs are hard for me to pull off too because I instinctually want to hit a direction because the enemy is in that direction. It's just something you have to practice and unlearn yourself from doing. It might take a while though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

learning to Let The Stick Go during the right times was when the game started to click for me and I felt I could actually control what my character was doing, it's a big paradigm shift

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

punished milkman posted:

maybe I'm using the term wrong, if I'm trying to do a neutral air attack with no direction input I usually screw it up by going too quickly and end up inputting a direction

you release the stick and then press the button. there's no secret here, it's just an execution barrier. and like execution barriers in everything ever, the best way to overcome it is to consciously try to practice and fix it. if your only exposure to nairs is messing up mid-round when you try to get one and then being angry you aren't gonna get better, at least not in a useful time span. spend a game or five just trying to do nothing but nairs (and blocking/recovering i guess). you arent trying to win these games, just trying to get used to the input against a moving target.

if youre doing this online and the idea of losing a bunch of points with your main bothers you pick mario because my 100% scientific research shows that no one mains mario

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punished milkman posted:

in that case I guess I don't really have any better advice than 'let go of the stick', sorry.

how exactly are you trying to use it, like what situations? a lot (all?) nairs have lingering hitboxes so you can let go of the stick, press a, then move. I really like the new short hop shortcut for this. Perhaps try going into practice mode with someone like Lucas (really long hitbox on that one) and try to get used to run -> let go of stick -> a+x -> move around?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God I hope the ethernet adapter + ethernet cord (neither of which I'll have until after I come back from vacation) solves the latency problems because there is not a worse feeling than dying because your recovery buttons are delayed 1-2 seconds. This is especially bad with Bowser Jr where I keep accidentally going too far off the stage when I'm in car mode and I can't do anything about it because all the inputs are so delayed. Like I fought a pretty bad Lucina just now and two of my deaths were because of loving up the recovery because of the latency as opposed to anything she did

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

God I hope the ethernet adapter + ethernet cord (neither of which I'll have until after I come back from vacation) solves the latency problems because there is not a worse feeling than dying because your recovery buttons are delayed 1-2 seconds. This is especially bad with Bowser Jr where I keep accidentally going too far off the stage when I'm in car mode and I can't do anything about it because all the inputs are so delayed. Like I fought a pretty bad Lucina just now and two of my deaths were because of loving up the recovery because of the latency as opposed to anything she did

Worst I've had so far while plugged in is major slowdown (probably a lag countermeasure?) while everything registered properly if very slowly.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Your Computer posted:

in that case I guess I don't really have any better advice than 'let go of the stick', sorry.

how exactly are you trying to use it, like what situations? a lot (all?) nairs have lingering hitboxes so you can let go of the stick, press a, then move. I really like the new short hop shortcut for this. Perhaps try going into practice mode with someone like Lucas (really long hitbox on that one) and try to get used to run -> let go of stick -> a+x -> move around?

yeah i just need to practice it then. when I mess it up I'm trying to jump towards someone midair, then going for the nair. I was just curious if there was some technique to cancel out your directional input quickly (like slamming down when you're running to allow for an immediate tilt left/right instead of a dash attack), guess not though. I just need to let go of the stick earlier :shrug:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

It’s actually Mist's son :ssh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

if your input delay was 1-2 seconds then you wouldn't even be able to move around predictably :goonsay:
e: unless movement and actions are handled differently? now I'm curious

speaking of delay, from what I understand everything is synced between both players so even if you have the best connection in the world, if your opponent has a bad connection then you'll both lag horribly? Can someone with more knowledge of netcode explain to me why they chose this way of doing it? I know some other games handle stuff like your own character's movement client-side which means even with a bad connection at worst you'll see your opponent zipping around, but I guess this is bad for consistency and wouldn't work for a fighting game?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Your Computer posted:

if your input delay was 1-2 seconds then you wouldn't even be able to move around predictably :goonsay:

Yes it's probably not that long, it's just a long enough delay that I can't react to things reliably enough and this is especially bad with Bowser Jr for me because I need to be able to stop mid car charge to jump when I'm trying to recover.

Also related to Bowser Jr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbwsNbw2_Nw

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like I wanna get good with Olimar. I always wanted to play him but he felt awful in Brawl and I could never get the hang of him in 4. He's a lot more fun to use now that Pikmin do notable damage so your opponent actually has to get them off in a timely manner. It feels pretty easy to rack up damage with them if you play smart, though finishing people off is a challenge. I assume the ideal strategy is to get someone up to a high percentage and then go for purple pikmin smash attacks right?
also blue pikmin have strong killthrows, especially upthrow.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Yes it's probably not that long, it's just a long enough delay that I can't react to things reliably enough and this is especially bad with Bowser Jr for me because I need to be able to stop mid car charge to jump when I'm trying to recover.

Also related to Bowser Jr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbwsNbw2_Nw

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:
yeah don't get me wrong, even a fairly small delay can be enough to make a game like this terrible to play

also what on earth is going on in that clip

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

punished milkman posted:

yeah i just need to practice it then. when I mess it up I'm trying to jump towards someone midair, then going for the nair. I was just curious if there was some technique to cancel out your directional input quickly (like slamming down when you're running to allow for an immediate tilt left/right instead of a dash attack), guess not though. I just need to let go of the stick earlier :shrug:

FWIW, this took me a while to get and I'm not perfect at it. Still occasionally throw out a slow fair because I hit forward too soon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Your Computer posted:

yeah don't get me wrong, even a fairly small delay can be enough to make a game like this terrible to play

also what on earth is going on in that clip

What I think happened is that the Mecha Koopa touched her at the exact moment I hit her with my car. The car hit sent her up into the air and then the mecha koopa explosion KO'd her

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I love Smash. Online, bodying Isabelles as Bowser. Offline bodying spirits as Dedede. The only thing I don't like about Smash is losing to Mii Swordsman.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Man, Ridley is hot trash if the opponent just chooses not to come anywhere near you. Just went 0-6 in quickplay, 3 inklings, a young link, a snake, and when I finally got wolf I thought "Hey, finally someone that I can have fun with".... who then proceeded to stand at the other side of the stage and mash b. Does ANYONE have ANY idea how to close with the huge dragon nerd? I can't use neutral b because I just get hit by any other projectile and take 30% immediately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jade Mage posted:

Man, Ridley is hot trash if the opponent just chooses not to come anywhere near you. Just went 0-6 in quickplay, 3 inklings, a young link, a snake, and when I finally got wolf I thought "Hey, finally someone that I can have fun with".... who then proceeded to stand at the other side of the stage and mash b. Does ANYONE have ANY idea how to close with the huge dragon nerd?
I don't think there IS a way. Granted I'm no expert but that losing spree was all Ridley, and once Lucas decided he could stand in place and wait for me, there was no longer anything I could do to approach, so once I fell behind the match was effectively over.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Your Computer posted:

speaking of delay, from what I understand everything is synced between both players so even if you have the best connection in the world, if your opponent has a bad connection then you'll both lag horribly? Can someone with more knowledge of netcode explain to me why they chose this way of doing it? I know some other games handle stuff like your own character's movement client-side which means even with a bad connection at worst you'll see your opponent zipping around, but I guess this is bad for consistency and wouldn't work for a fighting game?
For fighting games everything needs to be synced up 100% in order for the game to work properly. In other games like FPSes the way they usually accomplish this is by having a dedicated server which at certain ticks updates the current game state. This is why people complain about low-tick games or servers because you start to see issues like people being shot around corners due to where the server places them and where the player sees themselves being disconnected. Fighting games can't really do that because of the P2P nature; adding a dedicated server would just add an additional network hop between the players.

There's currently two main ways of designing netcode for fighting games. The first is what Smash employs: variable input-based delay so that the game's remain synced at all times. When you encounter a lot of stuttering or a lot of slowdown, that's because the connection between the two players is so unstable it results in the game waiting for the next set of inputs to maintain synchronization. The second is using rollback style netcode: It predicts what buttons the user is going to pick on the next frame, then does everything it needs to build that frame. If it's a correct prediction then the game plays as expected without any delay. If it's incorrect, the game undoes the prediction, returns to the last correct state and then updates from there. The end result when properly implemented is leagues ahead of input delay netcode.

For the reason why they went with input-delay I couldn't tell you. My best guess is that Nintendo is still really, really bad at the whole online infrastructure thing and so they went with the easiest to implement solution. Even then, their netcode design on Smash Ultimate is pretty lovely, considering well-implemented delay netcode can still be tolerable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Input delay netcode is still common in fighting games in general, it's not just a nintendo thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The netcode is also great in this game. Just don't play quickplay.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What do you advise instead?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Played some US goons last night from the UK. Was very surprised at how playable it ended up being. Power of wired I guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

What do you advise instead?

Player lobbies, not just in this game, but like every game.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

In Training posted:

The netcode is also great in this game. Just don't play quickplay.
I'd disagree, my experience with the netcode even with a wired ethernet adapter has been pretty terrible for a lot of my matches. Getting those matches where the game takes twice as long due to constant delay is incredibly obnoxious and is something that's eliminated with rollback netcode. Although you see your opponent warping all over the place, I prefer a quick match like that then one that takes five years due to them playing on AOL-level dialup on wifi.

Playing games like Skullgirls or really any game with properly implemented rollback netcode is a dream. Especially because I really hate having to adapt to input delay which changes every match, making combos much less consistent to perform.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've got super brain AIDS and am nearing completion of all 1297 spirits. I've still got 4 primaries, 2 supports, and a couple dozen fighter spirits left to get. Depending on how the game displays them I may or may not be compelled to get the Let's Go spirits somehow as well.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

FZeroRacer posted:

I'd disagree, my experience with the netcode even with a wired ethernet adapter has been pretty terrible for a lot of my matches.

sounds like someone has Bad Internet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have to play on Wifi until/if I buy a network switch and an ethernet adapter for Switch, doesn't feel good being probably-responsible for the delays and other nonsense

Stupid netcode

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The online has been great for me and a big improvement over the older games. Only 1v1 worked for me in Smash Wii U and Brawl was completely unplayable. It’s not perfect but most 4 player matches are still playable for me with Ultimate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

I've got super brain AIDS and am nearing completion of all 1297 spirits. I've still got 4 primaries, 2 supports, and a couple dozen fighter spirits left to get. Depending on how the game displays them I may or may not be compelled to get the Let's Go spirits somehow as well.

Please don't buy two $60 games for a .gif of a Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so wait how DO character unlocks work, I thought it was at least partly time based in addition to the classic/WoL unlocks but I didn't get any in my versus spree last night. Guess I misheard?