Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MRC48B posted:

This is probably Heresy that will get me burned at the stake, but Fluke is nice, but overpriced.

Like Snap-On, you're paying a bit more for the brand name.

I use an extech 380947 every day. It has its drawbacks (response time), but no one else really makes a comparable product.
Good enough for me. I was leaning toward them, because I couldn’t find an equivalent Fluke (or, the closest I found was 2.5x the price with lesser features) and while I think 100A is enough for most automotive needs, I do also work on house electrics and better safe than sorry.

The way my wife put it: “I’d rather you buy the better one than hear you complain later.”

Thank you! I ordered the MA445, and I think it’ll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I agree with Fluke being overpriced, but they do make a good product. My work meter is an Ideal and it's a POS.

My personal meter is a crappy Fieldpiece that I love cause it has a clip to hold one of the probes on the side, real nice for when there's nowhere to set or clip the meter while troubleshooting. Also has an analog scale, and measures microfarads.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fluke is great if you need to make really precise reading, especially for sensitive controls stuff, bit otherwise kinda unnecessary for the average person.

I use a UEI Phoenix and I've been very happy with it. Especially because it displays Amps at the same time as everything else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ExplodingSims posted:

Fluke is great if you need to make really precise reading, especially for sensitive controls stuff, bit otherwise kinda unnecessary for the average person.

Don’t make the mistake of buying a low-end Fluke and thinking you’ll get precision.

At the low-end, Fluke’s standout feature is safety, and they lack precision to cut cost and/or avoid cannibalism of their more expensive products.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

now that I'm a dad and a homeowner i need a tool belt for all my dad and homeowner projects. what's a good one to get?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Arson Daily posted:

now that I'm a dad and a homeowner i need a tool belt for all my dad and homeowner projects. what's a good one to get?

AWP leather or poly at Lowes are pretty common and inexpensive. Bucket Boss also makes a surprisingly good tool belt that's on Amazon.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Good enough for me. I was leaning toward them, because I couldn’t find an equivalent Fluke (or, the closest I found was 2.5x the price with lesser features) and while I think 100A is enough for most automotive needs, I do also work on house electrics and better safe than sorry.

The way my wife put it: “I’d rather you buy the better one than hear you complain later.”

Thank you! I ordered the MA445, and I think it’ll do fine.
Follow up question:

Got the meter, when it’s in voltage measurement, the indicator varies when I move the meter body or the leads. (It seems like small amounts - maybe 1mV in DC, 0.05V in AC.)

That’s ... not normal, right? I tried pulling the batteries out and looking for a reset procedure in the manual, as well as randomly pushing buttons, it seems to do it no matter what.

It seems like measured voltages are correct when I measure relatively known devices (M12 battery, car battery, etc), but it seemed weird that it was doing that. Is it just a combination of relatively tight sensitivity and a margin of error that’s measurable?

Edit: and, amps DC shows the thing I measured earlier at all times. It’s not in max/min mode, putting it in relative mode moves it to zero but doesn’t seem measure correctly.

I’m thinking lemon.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 16, 2018

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I’m thinking lemon.

All meters will do that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

pazrs posted:

All meters will do that.
Ok. Am I doing something wrong to measure amps, then? I turned it on just now, it shows 00.84A, sitting by itself. Clamped around the cable charging an iPhone, 00.82A. Clamped around headphone cables not plugged into a power source, 00.83A. Putting it in relative zero mode (I.e., zero it with nothing in the clamp) shows 00.00A, then wavers between -00.01A and 00.03A, independent of what's in the clamps (nothing, charge cable, headphone cable).

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't get it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Krakkles posted:

Ok. Am I doing something wrong to measure amps, then? I turned it on just now, it shows 00.84A, sitting by itself. Clamped around the cable charging an iPhone, 00.82A. Clamped around headphone cables not plugged into a power source, 00.83A. Putting it in relative zero mode (I.e., zero it with nothing in the clamp) shows 00.00A, then wavers between -00.01A and 00.03A, independent of what's in the clamps (nothing, charge cable, headphone cable).

in order to properly measure amperage you need to have the clamp over the current carrying conductor only. Having it around the hot and neutral (as in the case of the iphone charger) you will not get a reading.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

iForge posted:

in order to properly measure amperage you need to have the clamp over the current carrying conductor only. Having it around the hot and neutral (as in the case of the iphone charger) you will not get a reading.
Groovy, thank you! That makes a ton of sense.

Edit: \/\/\/ This is hugely helpful. It makes a lot more sense understanding how it actually works. Thank you, too!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 17, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The clamp measures magnetic fields.

It’s sensitive enough to measure the geomagnetic field, the felt strength of which varies with the orientation of the clamp (as if it were a compass). For accurate measurements, put the clamp in place and zero it before turning on whatever you’re measuring. If you have to measure a live system, zero the meter in the same orientation it’ll be in when attached, then attach it.

If two parallel wires are carrying current in opposite directions, their fields will counteract each other. You can measure off either the positive or negative conductor, but you have to physically separate the pair so that only one passes through the clamp.

The clamp should have an arrow marked on it that designates the direction that conventional current flows for a positive reading.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just wanted to give a plug here for Asimeto measuring products, or at least their standard verniers.

I've always been a Mitutoyo guy since I started my career 27 years ago. I had the same set of 8" verniers I've used for, no joke, 22+ years, but I misplaced at an end user call this summer but could never track down exactly where... so eventually had to bite the bullet and order a set.

I was going to buy another Mitutoyo or maybe try a Starrett, but on a whim bought a set of Asimeto 8" thumblock. Cost was around 60%+ of Mitutoyo, but so far pleasantly surprised especially for the $$. Come with a calibration certificate that I need for iso and they seem to be very consistent regardless of where I measure on the jaws when I tested measuring shims.

Compare favorably to the Mitutoyos I've always previously used and have no problem recommending them. Are they better than Mitutoyo? I don't know if I would go that far but I would say they are as good for my used in this particular style at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
:britain:

Halfords is doing its 'better than half price' sale on its professional socket sets right now

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I paid $67 for a 33mm deep wall impact socket on the strap on truck today.

I have problems.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What the heck uses 33mm?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I feel like that's close to the size of the pitman arm nut on third-gen F-body steering boxes, but that sure as hell doesn't need a deep-well.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Could be an axle nut?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What the heck uses 33mm?

Someone feeling very spiteful.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tractor axles!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Welp, reached sort of a new low with a HF hand tool.

Was using a HF dead blow and noticed hey, the 'Pittsburgh Pro' sticker/sku is peeling off. So what the hell, yank the drat sticker off. Huh, yanking it off pulled the plug out where they fill the thing up with buckshot. One can only laugh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
And I was thinking about getting one of those!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hey, at least it's a chinese tool that's SUPPOSED to have lead in it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

boxen posted:

Hey, at least it's a chinese tool that's SUPPOSED to have lead in it.

It is probably depleted uranium.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it stayed inside that genuinely would be better.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Just wanted to give a plug here for Asimeto measuring products, or at least their standard verniers.

I've always been a Mitutoyo guy since I started my career 27 years ago. I had the same set of 8" verniers I've used for, no joke, 22+ years, but I misplaced at an end user call this summer but could never track down exactly where... so eventually had to bite the bullet and order a set.

I was going to buy another Mitutoyo or maybe try a Starrett, but on a whim bought a set of Asimeto 8" thumblock. Cost was around 60%+ of Mitutoyo, but so far pleasantly surprised especially for the $$. Come with a calibration certificate that I need for iso and they seem to be very consistent regardless of where I measure on the jaws when I tested measuring shims.

Compare favorably to the Mitutoyos I've always previously used and have no problem recommending them. Are they better than Mitutoyo? I don't know if I would go that far but I would say they are as good for my used in this particular style at least.

Thank you for using the term vernier to refer to something that's actually a loving vernier. Not that I've used one for years now, you just get out the habit when everything is digital by default.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welp, reached sort of a new low with a HF hand tool.

Was using a HF dead blow and noticed hey, the 'Pittsburgh Pro' sticker/sku is peeling off. So what the hell, yank the drat sticker off. Huh, yanking it off pulled the plug out where they fill the thing up with buckshot. One can only laugh.
What were you expecting inside? I think most dead blows are shot aren't they?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

What were you expecting inside? I think most dead blows are shot aren't they?

I'm pretty sure they were expecting the insides to stay inside.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Uthor posted:

I'm pretty sure they were expecting the insides to stay inside.
Well, I've managed to split them open before myself, so I just assumed that the insides becoming outsides wasn't uncommon.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I guess this proves that, that which is dead CAN be killed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, never realized a sticker on a hand tool was so important. Should have a warning like a mattress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

InitialDave posted:

Thank you for using the term vernier to refer to something that's actually a loving vernier.
:lol: haha no worries, glad I didn't trigger you!

As an aside, I am a bit of a weirdo in the sense that I actively don't care for digital calipers. I think it is a combination of me learning to do accurate measurements (well, to 3 decimal places) on a vernier and I like to be able to immediately tell if I am looking at something manufactured based on metric or imperial measurements without having to push a button flipping between the scales.

Also, using digital calipers drift from zero has hosed me up more than once.

There is also the practical side that they are thin enough to go in my work case without being turned on every god drat time :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, to be honest, I've just gotten lazy. Similar to how I get out of practice holding a mic properly, really.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like digital ones because I can stick them places where I can't see the readout, press "zero", remove them, then close them to read the negative value. It's come in useful quite often, lately.

But, I'm not a machinist. Just usually need a "good enough" value.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've forgotten, but at one time, knew how to read a mic.
Vernier calipers on the other hand always drove me crazy because I couldn't.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Same, i learnt to read mics and calipers when i went through trade training for the RAF.....and proceeded to not need to for 20 years! Just bought a little lathe to dick round with, so i'm re-learning all the things now.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

In addition to what Platystemon said, sometimes there is residual magnetic flux left on the clamp. I'll snap the jaws opened and closed a couple times to knock it off, then rezero.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

In addition to what Platystemon said, sometimes there is residual magnetic flux left on the clamp. I'll snap the jaws opened and closed a couple times to knock it off, then rezero.

lol, im glad that actually does something, because I usually snip snap the clamp the same way I would with tongs while cooking, just to make sure they work I guess?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I've got a Fluke 324 (i think) that I found in a dropceiling at work, it's pretty drat nice. I think they're only like $130 or so. It has an amp clamp I've never used and a temp probe too. They probably make a similar but substantially cheaper one without the amp clamp. I've lately been a big fan of the "buy quality, buy once" mentality wrt tools.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

berth ell pup posted:

I've got a Fluke 324 (i think) that I found in a dropceiling at work, it's pretty drat nice. I think they're only like $130 or so. It has an amp clamp I've never used and a temp probe too. They probably make a similar but substantially cheaper one without the amp clamp. I've lately been a big fan of the "buy quality, buy once" mentality wrt tools.

Have to Factor in if you a habit of leaving tools in ceilings too. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I could do with getting a new Dremel-type tool, but I can't really bring myself to spend Dremel money, the Sealey E5188 looks reasonable, and is more powerful (170W vs 135W) than a lot of the generic units.

Thoughts?