Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Standard Measure posted:

allowing doxxing in some circumstances is like removing free speech.

you don't want the nazis having the power to say what is and isn't acceptable.

The biggest problem, jokes aside, it's that it's impossible to know if a screenshot is accurate or just made up. There's a significant chance of spreading complete lies about innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Standard Measure posted:

you don't want the nazis having the power to say what is and isn't acceptable.

While this is not contrary to your other point, they literally do, at least in the U.S. and on social media platforms.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
exactly,

which is why i laugh every time an idiot unironically argues "twitter isn't the government, free speech doesn't apply"

yeah, how's that working out for you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Relevant:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Standard Measure posted:

exactly,

which is why i laugh every time an idiot unironically argues "twitter isn't the government, free speech doesn't apply"

yeah, how's that working out for you.

How are we defining "Nazi" for the purposes of this statement though? Because I'm pretty sure nazis aren't in charge of any social media platform.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Non Serviam posted:

How are we defining "Nazi" for the purposes of this statement though? Because I'm pretty sure nazis aren't in charge of any social media platform.

Jack from Twitter

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Non Serviam posted:

The biggest problem, jokes aside, it's that it's impossible to know if a screenshot is accurate or just made up.

There are ways and means to detect a lot of editing: https://29a.ch/photo-forensics/#forensic-magnifier.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-otE2EjkEQ

mental health.m4v

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kerbtree posted:

There are ways and means to detect a lot of editing: https://29a.ch/photo-forensics/#forensic-magnifier.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
And it should be noted that any idiot who can press F12 can do what jobson groeth just posted. So I guess if the entire world were stuck on mobile, we'd be safe?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i think you just said a stupid thing

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

People repost STDH all the time, even when it's absolutely nonsensical. You sincerely believe people would routinely use forensic tools on photos?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Non Serviam posted:

People repost STDH all the time, even when it's absolutely nonsensical. You sincerely believe people would routinely use forensic tools on photos?

Not people, goons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Non Serviam posted:

Nazi, with an uppercase N means people who literally march around shouting Seig Heil and Juden Raus, carry swastika's and other sybols.

With a lower case n, nazi is for those who agree with Nazis on everything, but don't wear the merch.

So, really, there's no difference, to the gallows with both of them.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Flinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYy6kwvXTio
Here's something in similar vein, some italians in a wine cellar with a walter white -looking dude screaming his rear end off. Firmly in the not-actually-aug-and-extremely-cool territory.

That's not a case of "released a single demo in the 1980s" though, the band has had an actual decades-long career with a real discography and a certain amount of fame among prog-metal snobs and stuff. Saw them live some years ago and they were good.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Nazi, with an uppercase N means people who literally march around shouting Seig Heil and Juden Raus, carry swastika's and other sybols.

With a lower case n, nazi is for those who agree with Nazis on everything, but don't wear the merch.

So, really, there's no difference, to the gallows with both of them.

So the point you're making is that there are nazi sympathizers in control of major social media companies? Ok, cool.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Non Serviam posted:

So the point you're making is that there are nazi sympathizers in control of major social media companies? Ok, cool.

Zucc himself acknowledged he thinks holocaust deniers deserve a platform just like anyone else, so yes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Picnic Princess posted:

Zucc himself acknowledged he thinks holocaust deniers deserve a platform just like anyone else, so yes.

Guillotines usually mount on platforms so I’ll all for that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ahem

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Non Serviam posted:

Well, the idea was there is no difference between the two. They like to pretend there is, but enabling nazis is supporting nazis and it makes you one of them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Well, the idea was there is no difference between the two. They like to pretend there is, but enabling nazis is supporting nazis and it makes you one of them.

No, it doesn't. Believing that a platform should tolerate all views doesn't make you a supporter of those views. I know that a lot of posters are ridiculously lefty, in a constant contest of oneupmanship to see who has to hottest take about how capitalism is bad and Marxism "WILL TOTALLY WORK THIS TIME YOU GUYS", but you're on the deep end when you're calling a Jewish person like Zucc a "Nazi."

I don't particularly like Facebook or their policies, but I do like the idea of platforms accepting all views.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Non Serviam posted:

but you're on the deep end when you're calling a Jewish person like Zucc a "Nazi."
Your move, Herr Zucc.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Your move, Herr Zucc.

Far be it from me to defend a war criminal like Netanyahu, but the article says

quote:

On Thursday, Netanyahu acknowledged that he is negotiating with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán for an acceptable “consensus narrative” in which the Hungarian state’s part in the Nazi crimes that wiped out half a million Hungarian Jews during World War II will be minimized, if not erased, in a new revisionist Holocaust museum to be opened in Budapest.

The headline is deceiving, since it says "Netanyahu’s Negotiating With Neo-Fascists for a ‘Consensus View’ of the Holocaust", whereas it should actually say "Netanyahu is negotiating with Hungarian leader regarding role of Hungary in Holocaust, to be featured in Holocaust museum in Hungary"

Are you now calling Netanyahu a nazi sympathizer though?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No more than I'm calling Trump an oatmeal-brained pisslover.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The true AUG is someone defending nazi sympathizers itt

If you aren't actively trying to shut down nazi rhetoric, you're at best allowing them to do what they want, which is in their favor, making you complicit in anything they get away with, making you a sympathizer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:tipshat:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you aren't actively trying to shut down nazi rhetoric, you're at best allowing them to do what they want, which is in their favor, making you complicit in anything they get away with, making you a sympathizer.

:hai:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm happy to take the approach of the ACLU on this topic, instead of that of forums poster Sandwich Anarchist.

Edit. What nazi sympathizer did I defend?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Non Serviam posted:

No, it doesn't. Believing that a platform should tolerate all views doesn't make you a supporter of those views. I know that a lot of posters are ridiculously lefty, in a constant contest of oneupmanship to see who has to hottest take about how capitalism is bad and Marxism "WILL TOTALLY WORK THIS TIME YOU GUYS", but you're on the deep end when you're calling a Jewish person like Zucc a "Nazi."

I don't particularly like Facebook or their policies, but I do like the idea of platforms accepting all views.
I like the idea of you loving off.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I like the idea of you loving off.

Ah, you're one of the ones for whom Marxism is just around the corner? :allears:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Dude, just stop. It's you, you're the AUG.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Non Serviam posted:

Ah, you're one of the ones for whom Marxism is just around the corner? :allears:

Looks like we got a live Nazi in the house boys.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

^^ that's precisely my point. Being so far your own rear end in your little circle jerk that you've reached the point of equating freedom of speech or thinking Marxism is bad with being a full blown Nazi.

Trabant posted:

Dude, just stop. It's you, you're the AUG.

For saying that neither Netanyahu nor Zucc are nazis??

OK then, goons gonna goon

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Non Serviam posted:

^^ that's precisely my point. Being so far your own rear end in your little circle jerk that you've reached the point of equating freedom of speech or thinking Marxism is bad with being a full blown Nazi.

nice meltdown

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Non Serviam posted:

Views such as white superiority and calls for genocide? If you let them spout that poo poo, it validates them and gives them power. They find each other, organize, rally, get elected. The reason the fascists are taking over is because we're letting them. We are complicit when we don't tell them to shut the gently caress up. How is "immigrants are all diseased rapist criminals" deserving of an equal platform as "queer people deserve rights too" or "I baked a cake today and it was delicious". There are some "views" that should be shunned. Like explicitly harmful fascist ones.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Non Serviam posted:

At least I’m not a Nazi sympathizer.

Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Views such as white superiority and calls for genocide? If you let them spout that poo poo, it validates them and gives them power. They find each other, organize, rally, get elected. The reason the fascists are taking over is because we're letting them. We are complicit when we don't tell them to shut the gently caress up. How is "immigrants are all diseased rapist criminals" deserving of an equal platform as "queer people deserve rights too" or "I baked a cake today and it was delicious". There are some "views" that should be shunned. Like explicitly harmful fascist ones.

It depends on where. I think Facebook and Twitter have the right to set the behavior rules for their platform, and they have, after all, banned the likes of Milo and other similar imbeciles.

In the public forum, however, I sincerely believe that all ideas deserve the same amount of protection. I don't think any authority should have the power to determine what ideas are acceptable or not.

If you sincerely want to discuss the topic, om happy to make a discord and shoot the poo poo about politics with you or whoever. I'm sure it can be interesting and informative. Shoot me a PM, since it's better not to derail this further. I sincerely didn't think that saying Zucc isn't a Nazi would prove to be so controversial.