Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Panfilo posted:

It's some visually striking Kaiju power, it doesn't have to make sense.

Hell, in the recent Godzilla Anime apparently Godzilla has some kind of forcefield making him nigh invulnerable but when he does his breath attack there's a split second where he's vulnerable, so they do this Rube Goldberg complicated military operation to try to stop him. They go into a lot of technobabble but my way of handwaving all of it is basically 'Kaiju generate a reality warping field around themselves allowing them to survive being so big and doing Kaiju stuff.

So what you're saying is he's nigh invulnerable when he's not blastin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can confirm that it's awesome

Hell yeah! Space Godzilla might not be the most loved movie in the world but dang I love that design

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
I just noticed in the first trailer Godzilla is laying in the middle of the temple with Pazuzu.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s cool that Godzilla literally has a pad to go back to.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Pyswagoras posted:

I just noticed in the first trailer Godzilla is laying in the middle of the temple with Pazuzu.

It'll be really weird if, with all of the stuff about ecoterrorism, Revelations, and now literal allusions to the Exorcist, that the low key oppositional reading to the movie is that King Ghidorah represents the holy trinity and that Godzilla is actually the true villain/anti-Christ.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of the teasers leading up to this thing literally says "The Devil has three heads". Plus, some pop culture stories has the idea that Hell is ruled by a triumvirate, and not one single entity.

Plus the whole "God" in "Godzilla".

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 16, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Finally, the Catholicism versus Universalism match up we've all been wanting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

The bits in the trailer about how we have to submit to and become Godzilla's pets to survive. :aaaaa:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He stomped on Tokyo for our sins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So the kotm trailer got me pretty hyped and im gonna do another run through the Godzilla movies. This time i wanted to watch the solo movies of the kaiju G fights in the vs films as well, like i heard the og mothra was worth seeing. Any others? King ghidorah had a solo before being a godzilla antagonist right?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pyswagoras posted:

Can't remember if it was here that I saw it, but people also caught that the arctic research station has the same number as the one in Carpenter's The Thing. :)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Found these bios on Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra in the Monsterverse. No idea if they're legit or not, but still, they're a drat good read.

quote:

Monarch Designation: Mothra
Classification: Titanus Mosura
Nature: Unknown
Body Height: 52ft
Wingspan: 803ft
Range: UNKNOWN

From erased Nazca lines to the hidden Temple of the Moth, the name “Mothra” is woven throughout the most secret mythologies of our planet. The folklore and fairy tales tell of a winged creature of blinding light, an angel of the clouds whose god-like luminescence has the power to shatter the sky.

Ancient spirit tablets discovered in the mountain jungles of the Yunnan Province portray a giant winged alpha of the Lepidoptera order. In all of our findings, human civilization is pictographically shown in poses that imply deification of the so-called “Queen of the Monsters”, suggesting the creature was once a benign part of the natural order.

When Monarch containment crews discovered the live Titan chrysalis within the Chinese myth site, Dr. Emma Russell was quickly dispatched to closely monitor the creature that lay dormant within it. A quickening sonar pulse suggests the creature is awakening. If she ever emerges from her ancient slumber, a superspecies that once illuminated the sky will be reborn as Mothra.

Pupal DNA samples suggest a remarkable, multi-stage evolution. On reaching adulthood, Mothra’s gigantic thorax is capable of emitting beta-wave bioluminescence which can be projected through the intricate patterns on its wings and weaponized into blinding ‘god rays’.

As one of the deadliest and most beautiful natural phenomena in Earth’s history, no wonder this devastating guardian angel was worshipped as a goddess by the ancient human civilizations blessed to witness her.

Monarch Designation: Rodan
Classification: Titanus Rodan
Nature: Bio-Volcanic
Body Height: 154ft
Wingspan: 871ft
Behavior: Destroyer
Range: Worldwide

Within a Monarch containment facility atop the active Isla de Mona volcano, a mysterious Titan lies in pyrostasis within the restless magma. The legends speak of it as the “Fire Demon” or “The One Born of Fire”, but a simpler name echoes through the ancient temples of volcanically active regions: “Rodan”.

A volcanic internal combustion system of magma flows throughout a body covered in rock-like scales that act as geothermal armor. While much larger in size, Rodan has a skeletal structure similar to that of a Pteranodon - one of the earliest vertebrates known to have developed the power of flight. Just as Kong is king of the primates, Rodan may have once been king of the skies.

Rodan’s wings are wrapped around its body in stasis, but our cryptos estimate a wingspan big enough to create a sonic thunderclap capable of leveling entire cities as it flies overhead. RF-Capture scans reveal that Rodan’s skin is not made of rock, but does have an outer dermis of sharp volcanic sediment collected from centuries of dormancy. Sci-ops theorizes the vulcanized appearance of its skin may be an evolutionary trait developed as a form of camouflage against mountain or large rock formations. Truly, a Titan forged in fire.

Monarch Designation: Monster Zero

Classification: UNKNOWN
Nature: Bio-Electrical
Body Height: 521ft
Wingspan: UNKNOWN
Range: UNKNOWN

From the Hydra to the Rainbow Serpent, myth was the compass that led us to the resting place of the three-headed Titan. A name, unspoken through millennia of whispered nightmares. A living extinction event, named “the one who is many”. We call it Monster Zero.

At a Monarch containment facility deep in the frozen tundra of Antarctica, a three-headed winged serpent of ancient yet unknown origin lies frozen within a glacial tomb of ice. This is without question the largest superspecies ever discovered, easily dwarfing Godzilla at a height of over five-hundred feet tall.

Cranial scans reveal a divergent frontal lobe density in the brains of the three heads, denoting each head has disparate levels of cognitive functions, and possibly even independent thought.

Monster Zero’s dermal layer is gilded with trace amounts of aurum (See Ark Record # 73.126). Metallurgical studies theorize the scales act as a conductor capable of carrying bioelectrical currents through the creature’s body. Injuries have been discovered on several locations on the beast’s body, reminiscent of claw and scorch marks. Exo-Forensics are currently investigating.

Muscle tendons on the wings are so hyper-tensile that their massive aerodynamics could generate hurricane-force winds when in flight. Coupled with its body’s electro-receptor molecular biology capable of conducting electrical currents, water vapor in the air would be heated at extreme levels creating its own localized storm system as it travels. Simply put, if Monster Zero were to fly again, the stratosphere would be torn open by an otherworldly tempest of thunder and lightning our sky has never seen. Cryptolinguistics has analyzed translations of every worldwide case study of Monster Zero in the Monarch database across tens of thousands of years. The ancients called it Ghidorah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I feel the Godzilla bio should just read: "Godzilla- One bad motherfucker."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

site posted:

So the kotm trailer got me pretty hyped and im gonna do another run through the Godzilla movies. This time i wanted to watch the solo movies of the kaiju G fights in the vs films as well, like i heard the og mothra was worth seeing. Any others? King ghidorah had a solo before being a godzilla antagonist right?

Naw, Ghidorah is original to Godzilla. Off the top of my head there's

Mothra + Mothra Trilogy
Rodan
King Kong Escape
Frankenstein Conquers The World (Baragon)

The Mysterions has a version of MOGERA, the robot from Space Godzilla, but its pretty different.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

site posted:

The original Japanese version of Rodan is excellent. And Ghidorah first appears in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster in 1964, which includes Godzilla, Rodan, and a larval Mothra. Def watch that one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Found these bios on Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra in the Monsterverse. No idea if they're legit or not, but still, they're a drat good read.

It's all legit, that's just copied from the Monarch ARG website.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

site posted:

The first wave of Toho standalone daikaiju were Godzilla, Anguirus (technically), Rodan, Varan, Mogera (The Mysterians), Varan, Mothra, Manda (Atragon), and Dogora.

edit: And Mothra owns bones

edit: forgot about Maguma, the giant walrus in Gorath

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 16, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Davros1 posted:

One of the teasers leading up to this thing literally says "The Devil has three heads". Plus, some pop culture stories has the idea that Hell is ruled by a triumvirate, and not one single entity.

Also as back as at least Dante, a three-headed Satan has been a thing. In Inferno, he's got the body of a different great traitor of history being munched on in each head while being trapped in a lake of ice down at the 9th level of Hell.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Choco1980 posted:

Also as back as at least Dante, a three-headed Satan has been a thing. In Inferno, he's got the body of a different great traitor of history being munched on in each head while being trapped in a lake of ice down at the 9th level of Hell.

A very windy lake...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

K. Waste posted:

edit: forgot about Maguma, the giant walrus in Gorath

There's a walrus kaiju? I need to see this.

e: it's beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z12RWdKMN4

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/danborian_fes/status/1074132050754424833

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

What's the likelihood King Kong will receive a zenkai boost from lightning or something absurd to let him challenge Godzilla?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Golden Gael posted:

What's the likelihood King Kong will receive a zenkai boost from lightning or something absurd to let him challenge Godzilla?

Pretty sure he'll grow naturally. His natural predators (the skullcrawlers) were wiped out during Skull Island and he's got at least 40 years to mature.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is shameless mold reuse, but drat if I don't love these gimmicks

https://twitter.com/chris_kaiju/status/1074711580242313216

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

No lipstick. 3/5

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Scyantific posted:

Pretty sure he'll grow naturally. His natural predators (the skullcrawlers) were wiped out during Skull Island and he's got at least 40 years to mature.

I wasn't sure they were wiped out, though they might be approaching it. I got the impression they're like cockroaches that don't stop growing, you see one that means there's more somewhere. Though Kong's certainly making an effort.

But they specifically point out that Kong is a teenager and imply that the scale of his species is much, much bigger in adulthood.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1076210157153968128

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Just occurred to me that this is more or less going to be Rocky 3 with giant monsters.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I like that the big rear end Godzilla painted on the wall at Toho is based on the modern Bandai toy.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Are there tracks missing from the Shin Gojira soundtrack? There's a version of Godzilla and Nagoya in that movie but I can't find it on any listings or YouTube playlists.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1076531002552401920

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm thankful for the Big G this season, he has given us so much. And we forgive him for that time he blew up Baragon.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm thankful for the Big G this season, he has given us so much. And we forgive him for that time he blew up Baragon.

Baragon died for our sins.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

"Now remember, we parked in the 'Mothra' lot"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Cameo posted:

"Now remember, we parked in the 'Mothra' lot"

Now I'm thinking about that Sally Forth comic storyline where they went to the kaiju theme park all over again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/1077421653171363840?s=19

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh GOD yeah, gimme that brand new movie poster packaging and loving beam effects too! My Neca, I love you

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What do you think he gets in HIS stocking? Rhode Island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1077612980286586880